Chapel Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/...

Informaion about the lights at the Courthouse on the Square.
left out

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

i dont understand why it has to be all about the christian holidays, what about us who have other religion, why must yours be shoved in our face, i was under the impression that religious things were not to be placed on or at a court house, my wife and i cant help but feel determinate against . why are other religions not rept. here. think some one should make some calls about this. we seen the local click there putting it up and yes as cute as you think it is it is a christian holiday
left out

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

discriminated was the right word
my christian answer

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

left out wrote:
i dont understand why it has to be all about the christian holidays, what about us who have other religion, why must yours be shoved in our face, i was under the impression that religious things were not to be placed on or at a court house, my wife and i cant help but feel determinate against . why are other religions not rept. here. think some one should make some calls about this. we seen the local click there putting it up and yes as cute as you think it is it is a christian holiday
First of all "Christmas" is a Christian religious holiday, not a Hindu, Muslim, Jewish or anything else, just a Christian holiday. Look up the word "Christmas" and you will see it means Christ's Mass. A religious service to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, Lord of Lords and King of Kings. If you are of another religion just don't celebrate Christmas but don't ask all of the Christians to change for you. We don't ask the Muslim to change "Ramadam", I guess that is how you spell it. We don't require people of the Jewish faith to change anything about their "Passover" or any other religion to change the dates of their holidays to please us Christians and we don't take part in their festivals. "Christmas" is for Christians, always has been and hope it always will be!" NO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS FOR ME ON THIS ONE!!! You are not being discriminated against because no one is requiring you to participate. If you want something for your religious group on its historic date and you are willing to pay for it the way the lights at the courthouse was payed for by "private citizens" then you should be allowed the same access to the courthouse BUT DON'T ASK US TO CHANGE FOR YOU!!!
One last thing, America was set up by Christians of many different religious groups. Puritians, Pilgrams, Anglicans, Quakers, Catholics, and later the more numerous protestant religions. All of these are "Christian" religions. When the founding father talked about religious freedom they were not talking about the non=Christian religionS but the differences among the Christians. Only the "Supreme Court" to be politically correct has determined that religious freedom includes all religions. Also go to an Arab county and see how much religious freedom you have as a Christian. Don't try to take Christ out of "Christmas" it just will not work!!
Open eyes

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

left out wrote:
Hmmm.... I am not Jewish so I don't celebrate Hanukkah. I am not Islamic so I do not celebrate Eid Al-Fitr or Eid Al-Adha. But I would not be offended if they choose to put up some sort of decorations, if that is what they do at "their" time of celebration.

Christmas is actually an adaption of a pagan celebration, but for many Christians they have adapted it to represent the time they celebrate the birth of their Savior. Jesus was actually born in the spring, not the middle of the winter, but that does not really matter. What matters is this celebration is of their own choosing. It is also a celebration of tradition many years old. There are countless number of organizations that put up various theme type decorations celebrating their causes throughout the year. No one says a word about those. Why not?

Also, many non-religious people also use Christmas as a time to celebrate or honor friends and family. They use it as a good excuse to come together and reconnect.

I think those who are offended are offended for a very selfish or jealous reasons or because of their own hatred/distaste for what the Christian religion represents. That is shame on their part.
yea

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Who cares what you call the decorations? It's a stolen holiday anyway.
left out

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

See thats wrong, you make it all about the christian, there are other holidays as you state, however they do not allow those holidays to place decorations on government property, has the higher courts not ruled on religiousness items on or in the court house property. How would you feel if i set up speakers and blast Muslim music across the square. as you said pvt citizens placed these items there for display, there for it is approved by the local government. And yes when called this morning we were told we could not place anything there for our religion, so there for our beliefs are discriminated against and this will be an issue brought up to our church to see if they can't remove that or allow others to share there beliefs. what about those who do not believe and try to shield their children from you ghost beliefs...now we must pass by there and explain to our child why the government pushes its beliefs on us, the prvt citizens should have put it on pvt property. and as far as your comment that "we are not forced to participate " thats were you are wrong, you government forces me to pay taxes to pay for that court house and when my tax money is involved so am i and when i pass by i am forced to see it and hear it, why should i pay taxes for property that only your kind can show what you believe in and damn the rest, so yes i intend to raise hell and take my complaint as far as i can... good luck to me and my god may win this battle..........
Open eyes

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

yea wrote:
Who cares what you call the decorations? It's a stolen holiday anyway.
Stolen? Did they take it away from someone? If I choose to celebrate something, say on your birthday, does that mean I stole your birthday? It is one day out of 365 days. Many days of the year celebrate multiple celebrations. What's big deal?
yea

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

"Open Eyes", if your intention of celebrating on my Birthday is solely to convert me to your religious beliefs, then yea, you are at the very least a con-artist. As for making a "big deal" out of it, hardly. I believe I said "Who cares". I enjoy the spirit of the season, the effort that people make to put up lights and decorations, ect. I will still consider all of that for what it is, a made up holiday for a make-believe Saviour. I will still wish you a Merry Christmas (because it is the way YOU celebrate) just as well as I wish my Muslim friends a "Blessed Ramadan". It is the polite thing to do.
Open eyes

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

left out wrote:
See thats wrong, you make it all about the christian, there are other holidays as you state, however they do not allow those holidays to place decorations on government property, has the higher courts not ruled on religiousness items on or in the court house property. How would you feel if i set up speakers and blast Muslim music across the square. as you said pvt citizens placed these items there for display, there for it is approved by the local government. And yes when called this morning we were told we could not place anything there for our religion, so there for our beliefs are discriminated against and this will be an issue brought up to our church to see if they can't remove that or allow others to share there beliefs. what about those who do not believe and try to shield their children from you ghost beliefs...now we must pass by there and explain to our child why the government pushes its beliefs on us, the prvt citizens should have put it on pvt property. and as far as your comment that "we are not forced to participate " thats were you are wrong, you government forces me to pay taxes to pay for that court house and when my tax money is involved so am i and when i pass by i am forced to see it and hear it, why should i pay taxes for property that only your kind can show what you believe in and damn the rest, so yes i intend to raise hell and take my complaint as far as i can... good luck to me and my god may win this battle..........
I can agree with you about the music. That is wrong because that does force it even on those who do not want to hear it. If it is only on the radio, that is okay. As for decorations on government property, that is a tough one. The government cannot itself promote religions. However when it comes to other citizens using government property to display religious items that is not the same thing. There is a cross out West that was displayed on government property (National Park). I believe they won out in allowing that. That does not mean the government is promoting the religion. If the government only allowed one form of religion to display, than yes, that is wrong. I highly doubt your children really care that a display of any kind is on government property. Why are they not asking about what private homes put up? If your concern is about your kids asking about Christianity, I see no point in discussing just the display on government property.

When you say you were denied the right to display something of your religion, I have to wonder what the motive was. That is what anyone would do. If you wanted to display something of your religion simply to counter "Christianity" that would be more of a form of protest rather than just celebrating your religion. If you asked to display something on a recognized day of your religion and were denied, I believe that would be wrong. Can you elaborate on what you asked to do? And who denied you? What is your religion? Perhaps we can help you.
Open eyes

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

yea wrote:
"Open Eyes", if your intention of celebrating on my Birthday is solely to convert me to your religious beliefs, then yea, you are at the very least a con-artist. As for making a "big deal" out of it, hardly. I believe I said "Who cares". I enjoy the spirit of the season, the effort that people make to put up lights and decorations, ect. I will still consider all of that for what it is, a made up holiday for a make-believe Saviour. I will still wish you a Merry Christmas (because it is the way YOU celebrate) just as well as I wish my Muslim friends a "Blessed Ramadan". It is the polite thing to do.
I'm good with that, since I don't believe Christmas is celebrated with the intent to convert anyone. I think "today" the Christmas celebrated by Christians is not the same as celebrated by non-Christians and is more of a commercially driven time of year. I have many non-Christian friends including Wiccans, pagans and more who celebrate it more than I do. I don't even put up a tree nor give out presents anymore, but that is MY choice. If I have any intent to spread the Gospel, I do that all year long. And I see all sorts of other religions put up stuff during the year. I have no desire to convert to them and don't feel as if they are attempting to get me to convert. To each their own. Have a nice holiday season, whatever you celebrate.
Discrimination

Cornersville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

left out wrote:
I am gay and when you see me walking down the street you dont say that I am trying to push my lifestyle on you. I dont see that the lights are pushing anything on anyone. I thought the lights were very nice. If you dont like them oh well no one cares.
tax payer

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Just dont go around the square then and you will not have to worry yourself then-I am so tired of one or two speaking for the whole-Christmas was here before you were and will be here long after you are gone-get over it or move on
fed up

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

left out wrote:
That's why people don't support "your kind.. " to quote you, because most other non christian religions including atheist want everyone to adapt to them. If we all stop everything that may be offensive there would be no individuality....
Old timer

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

Contrary to Obama's opinion, the USA is a Christian nation.
yea

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

"Old Timer", exactly how many times is "Christian, Christ, or Jesus" mentioned in the Constitution? At what point did the Supreme Court rule this? Go ahead and try to cite Holy Trinity vs. The United States and Justice Brewer all you want.
left out

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

tax payer wrote:
Just dont go around the square then and you will not have to worry yourself then-I am so tired of one or two speaking for the whole-Christmas was here before you were and will be here long after you are gone-get over it or move on
its not about the lights its about the loud music, how many kids in this town have to pay fines for loud music
oh really

Lawrenceburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Old timer wrote:
Contrary to Obama's opinion, the USA is a Christian nation.
exactly what does that mean? a christian house hold means the whole family practices or recognizes that religion. does this whole nation practice christitanity? no. there are many religions practiced here. some nations are islamic because their gov is ran by the religion. is our nation ran by christianity? no. just because many of the founding fathers were of a christian faith and just because many of the nations capitial buildings have bible quotes writen on them does not mean we are a christian nation. all it means is at its begining our nation recognaized the chrisitian religion or the majority at the time were christians. we are not a religious nation at all. actually we are a secular nation because our gov is not ran by a religion.
Just Here

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

I drove around the square this evening and the lights are the best ever. Thanks for all those who decorated it.
looserburg

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

what a joke...........big deal over that shit

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Discussions

Search the Columbia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 56 min Irving 141,370
Maury County Sheriff 2014 (Sep '13) 1 hr spunky72 677
any good meat 'n' 3s in town? 1 hr wow 5
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 3 hr Ali Ooop 8,592
Automatic Transmission Repair shop 3 hr Frankie M 1
Mexicans aren't Spanish! (Oct '13) 3 hr Really 37
760 Illegal Children Dumped In Tennessee 5 hr Yep 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••