woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#21467 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
So, Pops, here's the short version: Republicans passed laws to address a non-existent problem, which had the effect of suppressing votes of groups that tend to vote Democratic.
If, when the Democrats are in power at the state level and they decide to limit polling places to cities (to save money of course!) However, it might have the result that rural folks (which tend to vote Republican) might be "too lazy" to drive into the city to vote and that would benefit the Democrats.
Would that distress you?
But. that's not what channel Foxbaugh straight from Camp Sabotage told them.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21468 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
If, when the Democrats are in power at the state level and they decide to limit polling places to cities (to save money of course!) However, it might have the result that rural folks (which tend to vote Republican) might be "too lazy" to drive into the city to vote and that would benefit the Democrats.
Would that distress you?
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Lazy people live everywhere & I don't want lazy people voting.
So, you would be OK with rural voters being disenfranchised? I don't like it at all. But I don't like laws designed to suppress the vote, no matter which party it favors.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21469 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of it, remember when election day was a day off to go vote. Not into today's world.
In todays world, your employer must allow you time to vote if your state doesn't have absentee ballots that anybody can use.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21470 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of it, remember when election day was a day off to go vote. Not into today's world.
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote. Free transportation to the voting site and back home. And (just to show how sympathetic I am to those that worry about voter fraud) everyone gets a photo ID, totally free and available everywhere. Any documentation costs fall upon the government, and not the individual. Are my Republican friends with me?
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21471 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>But. that's not what channel Foxbaugh straight from Camp Sabotage told them.
Correct. They told us that if a white person can get an ID to vote, there's no reason why a black person can't do the same. Pretty stupid, huh?

Since: Aug 12

Lilburn, GA

#21472 Oct 26, 2013
Don't black folks in larger metro areas all go vote at least once in every poling station already? What more could they want??? If anyone begs to differ they just call in the black panther van o thugs approved by the attorney general himself!

“ I LOVE LIBERALS”

Since: Sep 11

Bellefontaine, OH

#21473 Oct 26, 2013
UdintBuildThat wrote:
Don't black folks in larger metro areas all go vote at least once in every poling station already? What more could they want??? If anyone begs to differ they just call in the black panther van o thugs approved by the attorney general himself!
ZAP!!!

“ I LOVE LIBERALS”

Since: Sep 11

Bellefontaine, OH

#21474 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote. Free transportation to the voting site and back home. And (just to show how sympathetic I am to those that worry about voter fraud) everyone gets a photo ID, totally free and available everywhere. Any documentation costs fall upon the government, and not the individual. Are my Republican friends with me?
YEP, but your "demo friends" are not likely to be with you.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21475 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if they get a "free" pizza on the way to the polls.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21476 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
I'm full of it? WOW. Thanx for the reminder. Yes I remember when election was a day off, like TODAY! All the more reason that more people can get to the polls. And ALL the more reason that there are fewer excuses NOT to make it.
In fact, let's make election day a state AND federal holiday from work & even fewer people would have an excuse. Of course food service & health care workers etc would still have to work but again, keep the polls open 5am - 8pm & there would be almost no excuses. Good idea Woo-Boy.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21477 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So, you would be OK with rural voters being disenfranchised? I don't like it at all. But I don't like laws designed to suppress the vote, no matter which party it favors.
I didn't say that at all. Please re-read my post.
You & I are not that far apart
Pops

Newport, KY

#21478 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't make voting mandatory. That's a Violation of the 1st amendment. BUT that's an interesting idea.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21479 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote.
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You can't make voting mandatory. That's a Violation of the 1st amendment. BUT that's an interesting idea.
Here's the full text of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

What part of that would prohibit making voting mandatory?
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21480 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
DON W SOUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
YEP, but your "demo friends" are not likely to be with you.
I'm pretty sure that action would favor the Democrats. But let the chips fall where they may. And thank you for your support!
YourDaughterLove sCanton

Canton, OH

#21481 Oct 26, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say that at all. Please re-read my post.
You & I are not that far apart
I can almost hear you gumming that microwaved can of peas. Obama is the reason your VCR has flashed 12:00 for 11 years.
YourDaughterLove sCanton

Canton, OH

#21482 Oct 26, 2013
Pops wrote:
I can't speak for every state But of course the pathway for an ID should not be insurmountable or overly difficult. I totally agree with that. IF a law has notable flaws it should be refined. Any of those laws should be litigated specifically. Not the 'scatter gun' nuclear tactics being argued today.
I won't argue the 'small numbers' of voter fraud happening. But I will compare it to shoplifting. Just because few people shop lift, should we dismiss fighting it?
Then there are the near countless peoples that live in small communities where elections are won & lost by single digit numbers. I once lived in such a place for years. Elections with an eight vote difference & There was a 50 vote or less difference many times.
I think googly eyed old kooks like you shouldn't be aloud to vote or drive. Bedtime for you, Bonzo.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#21483 Oct 27, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
In todays world, your employer must allow you time to vote if your state doesn't have absentee ballots that anybody can use.
Really, like where? I've never heard of that law. I have heard of employers making people work surprise, unscheduled overtime on election day though.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#21484 Oct 27, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. They told us that if a white person can get an ID to vote, there's no reason why a black person can't do the same. Pretty stupid, huh?
Those fumes from your truck must affect your attention span or reading comprehension. You've been shown different examples of supposed fraud and some of fraud, but you're little mind chooses to ignore and deny the facts. Prime example of a blind follower of the flock.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21485 Oct 27, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Here's the full text of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
What part of that would prohibit making voting mandatory?
How in the world can you protect ones right to speak & not protect their right to keep their mouths shut.
WE are NOT compelled to speak out on anything.
It would be tantamount to the protection of 'freedom of religion' & the freedom to be Atheist.
There's no real difference if SCOTUS can rule that burning the US flag is freedom of expression/speech which they have done.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21486 Oct 27, 2013
YourDaughterLovesCanton wrote:
<quoted text>
I think googly eyed old kooks like you shouldn't be aloud to vote or drive. Bedtime for you, Bonzo.
WTF?!? Mental Mud again.
It's allowed...not aloud & you still have nothing of substance to say. Why is that putz?
Never mind, I really don't care, I was just curious, but no longer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obituaries 10/26/11 (Nov '11) Thu Roger and Terri 43
Video of Substitute Teacher is Making Waves in ... (Apr '13) Dec 17 Carpoolhall126 3
Just Moved Here! Are There Any Indoor Basketbal... Dec 8 Jake777 1
Disabled people can't use Olmsted Falls library (Feb '11) Nov '14 Helen8809 5
Parma massage parlor owner accused of sexually ... Nov '14 Her Mom 1
North Ridgeville Internet Providers (Nov '07) Nov '14 MaryEllen Minter 5
Items (Oct '11) Nov '14 Kim 2
More from around the web

Columbia Station People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbia Station News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbia Station

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]