|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if it was a First Amendment case, Hobby Lobby would have lost. The Court held that the RFRA provides more protection than the First Amendment does.
Yeah. Because the constitution says absolutely nothing about religious freedom like the statute you cite. Sure.
Pope Che Reagan Christ

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

d pantaloni wrote:
<quoted text> That they dont want to open that can of worms because they would have to spend years declaring thousands of statutes unconstitutional?
It's more simple than that. It's just that they decided the case based on the statute and not the constitution.
Pope Che Reagan Christ

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

d pantaloni wrote:
which most of statute is..
That book of waterfall cartoons.
Pope Che Reagan Christ

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

d pantaloni wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah. Because the constitution says absolutely nothing about religious freedom like the statute you cite. Sure.
You really should stick to riding that garbage truck. The statute provides greater protection than First Amendment stare decisis does. Without the statute, Hobby Lobby loses.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pope Che Reagan Christ I wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if it was a First Amendment case, Hobby Lobby would have lost. The Court held that the RFRA provides more protection than the First Amendment does.
True because the RFRA is another means by the Federal Government to restrict the 1st Amendment too if the politicians want too because for years the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution did not pretain to the Citizens of the States only pretained to the Federal Government until the SCOTUS started using the 14th amendment to incorporate the Bill of Rights down to state level through a series of SCOTUS cases over the years.

Incorporation of the Bill of Rights

The incorporation of the Bill of Rights (or incorporation for short) is the process by which American courts have applied portions of the U.S. Bill of Rights to the states. Prior to 1925, the Bill of Rights was held only to apply to the federal government. Under the incorporation doctrine, most provisions of the Bill of Rights now also apply to the state and local governments.

Prior to the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment and the development of the incorporation doctrine, the Supreme Court in 1833 held in Barron v. Baltimore that the Bill of Rights applied only to the federal, but not any state governments. Even years after the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment, the Supreme Court in United States v. Cruikshank (1876) still held that the First and Second Amendment did not apply to state governments. However, beginning in the 1920s, a series of United States Supreme Court decisions interpreted the Fourteenth Amendment to "incorporate" most portions of the Bill of Rights, making these portions, for the first time, enforceable against the state governments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_of...
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Judged:

What's with Topix high lighting certain words & why?
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for a bit of education. Adding the sentence just before makes it even clearer: "The contraceptive mandate, as applied to closely held corporations, violates RFRA. Our decision on that statutory question makes it unnecessary to reach the First Amendment claim raised by Conestoga and the Hahns."
Which means it was null and void before even discussing the First Amendment. However, the SC wouldn't have even heard the case (concerning constitutional violations of religion) if they didn't think there was something that needed to be heard.

Think of it kind of like a baseball game. It's two outs and the game is tied. After the ball is hit, the home team scores the winning run. After a replay challenge is made, they discover that the guy running to second was thrown out before the relay to home which was questionable.

What difference does it make what happened at home? The game is still over so what's the point of reviewing the play at home base?

Either way, this is a point for the good guys. The United States Federal Government is not in charge of telling employers what kind of benefits they have to offer to their employees. Hell, the former Soviet Union probably didn't demand that of their employers.

Under the DumBama administration, our federal government has gotten too strong and too intrusive in our lives. Because if the courts ruled (under any provision) that government has that kind of power to micromanage our personal lives, then we would surly be in a state of tyranny.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pops wrote:
It does on certain words which I seen that too.
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pops wrote:
Advertisement. If you click on any of the hyperlinks, it will take you to an ad.

Did you just notice this now? Because at least on my computer, this has been going on since I've been on Topix which is several years.

Topix has way too much advertisement. That's why it takes minutes to load each page.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Advertisement. If you click on any of the hyperlinks, it will take you to an ad.
Did you just notice this now? Because at least on my computer, this has been going on since I've been on Topix which is several years.
Topix has way too much advertisement. That's why it takes minutes to load each page.
Nah, I noticed this some time ago but basically ignored it for some time. But NOT years ago & I have been on Topix for some time too.
Now a new question, how in the helll can someone judge my initial post, "disagree, & nuts"?
Activity like that sometimes makes me wonder what the heck sort of people am I communicating with.
Maybe that indicates that I am clueless.(<:
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pops wrote:
It's a very annoying form of advertising. If you would like to avoid seeing it, install Adbock Plus. Works as an add-on to most popular browsers, and filters out stuff like that.

https://adblockplus.org
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Now a new question, how in the helll can someone judge my initial post, "disagree, & nuts"?
Activity like that sometimes makes me wonder what the heck sort of people am I communicating with.
Remember in grade school, when kids would tease each other with sayings that made no sense? "You mother wears army boots" was a popular retort long ago. Some folks can't come up with a witty reply, but they can always punch that "nuts" button.
half breed

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, I noticed this some time ago but basically ignored it for some time. But NOT years ago & I have been on Topix for some time too.
Now a new question, how in the helll can someone judge my initial post, "disagree, & nuts"?
Welcome to 2014, Pops.
Now if only you could figure out how to make your VCR stop flashing 12:00 all day long...
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

half breed wrote:
<quoted text>Welcome to 2014, Pops.
Now if only you could figure out how to make your VCR stop flashing 12:00 all day long...
I figured that out last week. Is that good?
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2014

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember in grade school, when kids would tease each other with sayings that made no sense? "You mother wears army boots" was a popular retort long ago. Some folks can't come up with a witty reply, but they can always punch that "nuts" button.
WOW! You are showing ur age make that statement & I am showing my age to understand.
phil coulsin

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Donk.cock
phil coulsin

Mountain View, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

I shmash gay dickmmmn
Hobby Lobby

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Why do havenot people think their right to force certain others to pay for the havenot's stuff supercede certain others right to exist?
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, I noticed this some time ago but basically ignored it for some time. But NOT years ago & I have been on Topix for some time too.
Nah. This is a political room which means there are basically two sides here. It doesn't matter if you make a comment about politics or the weather, it's that you (on one side) made a comment period.

Then you have kids (like the posts above) that get on the computer and have nothing to do. So they start clicking buttons out of boredom.

This is nothing. I go to topics that have people with six, eight and ten or more judgements. The more people in the forum, the more of them you'll see.
Pope Che Reagan Christ I

Lodi, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2014

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>True because the RFRA is another means by the Federal Government to restrict the 1st Amendment too if the politicians want too because for years the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution did not pretain to the Citizens of the States only pretained to the Federal Government until the SCOTUS started using the 14th amendment to incorporate the Bill of Rights down to state level through a series of SCOTUS cases over the years.
Incorporation of the Bill of Rights
The incorporation of the Bill of Rights (or incorporation for short) is the process by which American courts have applied portions of the U.S. Bill of Rights to the states. Prior to 1925, the Bill of Rights was held only to apply to the federal government. Under the incorporation doctrine, most provisions of the Bill of Rights now also apply to the state and local governments.
Prior to the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment and the development of the incorporation doctrine, the Supreme Court in 1833 held in Barron v. Baltimore that the Bill of Rights applied only to the federal, but not any state governments. Even years after the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment, the Supreme Court in United States v. Cruikshank (1876) still held that the First and Second Amendment did not apply to state governments. However, beginning in the 1920s, a series of United States Supreme Court decisions interpreted the Fourteenth Amendment to "incorporate" most portions of the Bill of Rights, making these portions, for the first time, enforceable against the state governments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorporation_of...
You are so confused. Incorporation is long establish and was not at issue one little bit in the Hobby Lobby case. The RFRA was passed because Congress thought the SCOTUS First Amendment application was too conservative.

You should really set your agenda down for a little bit and look at this without it. When you stop trying to prove something you will be more open to learning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed Marvin Levels 188
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Review: North Ridge Christian Life Church (Jan '13) Jul 28 Don 23
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill ... 231
Donald and Terry Johnson (Jan '14) Jul '14 Old classmate and... 15
1119 Deitsch resignation nov 19 2013 at board m... Jul '14 FP parent 1
pelosi is wrong and raping womens choices Jul '14 tommorrow 1

Search the Columbia Station Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Station Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••