3 to bid on five of state's prisons | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Ohio taxpayers now know who wants to buy five state prisons, but they won't find out what kind of a deal they're getting until it's done.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Dec 15, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ed Wood

Creola, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Now let's hear about these 3 companies ties to Kasich & co. I hope that Kasich eventually get an extended stay at one of these fine facilities.
Joe

Circleville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

I definitely have an opinion about the sale of the prison facilities (built using our tax dollars) to private firms. But, I need to make sure I have the facts before saying too much. Is this accurate?...The state will sell the prisons for the highest bid? If it cost $xxx M to build the prisons and the winning bid is for less (even substantially less?) than $xxx M, the facilities are sold? This CANNOT be right. Surely, even this governor and this legislature wouldn't do that. Help me understand!
brgsfc

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

private prisons are bad news period. Ask AZ and NM, they are full of corruption
ramseyjames

Marion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

I hope this idiot sells every prison in Ohio, then we can all wait and see how this works out! This bum will continue to ruin this state! You can bet on it!
Oh Boy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Ed Wood wrote:
Now let's hear about these 3 companies ties to Kasich & co. I hope that Kasich eventually get an extended stay at one of these fine facilities.
Agree! I'm sure he has an invested interest, and not one that is related to the state, but personal. He just took positions from workers that were being paid a wage they could live on to a wage that is poverty and little benefits. I will have to do my research, but what type of history do this prisons have...how many have a good ole boy friends that are judges...how will this business survive...what type of tax abatement will this new corporation receive... Sooo many questions, and never an answer
WatchOut

Marion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Let's see the numbers about how this move will save the State 6.6 million. Were the lower wages that will be paid to the private operator's employees factored into this calculation (lower wages = lower state income tax payments).

Word on the street in Marion is that the private operators will not [purchase the properties here but will lease them...so no local property tax revenue. Guess we will just have to wait to see what happens.
Listen to Bill Hicks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

ramseyjames wrote:
I hope this idiot sells every prison in Ohio, then we can all wait and see how this works out! This bum will continue to ruin this state! You can bet on it!
Actually I'd rather not have us go through the disaster this will turn out to be. Time to work on the constituional amendment to recall idiots like Kasich.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Lets see ... " New property and income tax revenue .... " well its the same property so how is it new ..... and if the employees that will be working there are making alot less than State employees, how does generate more income tax revenue ? Not to mention they are selling for alot less than the cost to build them. Guess its like a new car ... soon as you drive off its worth 10000.00 less than paid for. And anyone who has worked around inmates know they are just waiting for someone who makes less than what the State paid ..... they will help in making up the pay difference .... and that will be a whole new problem for the State. Maybe someone should ask a real question .... who pays up when we lose one of these private prisons in a riot ? In my summation .... I have one word for uncle john ...IMPEACH !!
not the enemy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Here come the jobs Kasich touted, only they pay less,and have lousy benefits. But the buyers of the prisons will come out all right as high bidder will get the prison even when it cost milllions more to build them, but hey, it's a down econmy and it's only tax dollars.
As for the fact that Mohr, head of prisons, has ties to private prison operators, merely a coincidence.
oh my

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

R-ruin
E-elude
P-pilfer
U-unethical
B-bad
L-liars
I-immoral
C-crooks
A-alienate
N-nontruthful
S-swindlers
Need I say more of the this new breed of young republicans,,,,these are not the ones our moms and dads respected and voted for in the good old days
Yuhakim

Port Clinton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Hey people..........

Look at the bright side, the employees that lose the good paying jobs can apply for the same job at minimum wages and be able to get food stamps.

How cool is that!!!
Currahee3506

Cambridge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

DR&C's own website showed the privately operated Lake Erie prison had the highest daily cost per inmate of four identical institutions. The three state operated institutions had significantly lower costs.
I pointed this out in numerous previous posts.
I told my wife, if they are ignorant of this fact, then they will drop this foolish privatization scheme.
If they are crooked, they will go in to the DRC website and alter the data.
Within a week, they went in and altered (falsified) the budget figures for the other state state run institutions.
That would be a prima facie case that this is nothing but a crooked deal to swindle money from the tax payers.
This is like having Taft back in office.
Gork

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Ala Scott Walker - I'm amazed Ohio's John Boy wasn't invited to the Koch brothers' recent party.
Rob P

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Get ready for a three strikes law in Ohio. As soon as these corporations take over a prison, they will spend their unlimited campaign cash thanks to Citzens United & will push for laws to lock up more Ohioans because its good for business, Welcome to California. Also, get ready for more unemployment, lower paying jobs & prison abuses scandals that will cost6 millions. Privatization always costs more.
Dissatisfied

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

I recommend reading a book called =The End of America= by Naomi Wolf, which articulates the ten things that all dictators do. And then compare it to the Bush and Kasich administrations.
Bear589

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

The stupidity of this idea will prove itself in time. I just wonder exactly who will be getting exactly what out of this. Let the scams begin.
Currahee3506

Cambridge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

It would appear that the Gov. has 18 political hacks coming in and marking every post with a spam, clueless or nuts.
He must be a little touchy about this whole thing.
Oh Boy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

Yuhakim wrote:
Hey people..........
Look at the bright side, the employees that lose the good paying jobs can apply for the same job at minimum wages and be able to get food stamps.
How cool is that!!!
Hey here is one better, those who lose the job can lose the house, can lose the health care insurance, and the city and state can lose the revenue... but corporations moving to OH IO will gain abatement for minimum wage job creation, NO TAX for how many years...so how can there be food stamps and other aid if there is no revenue to aid the lose...just sayin...
Oh Boy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

Currahee3506 wrote:
It would appear that the Gov. has 18 political hacks coming in and marking every post with a spam, clueless or nuts.
He must be a little touchy about this whole thing.
Wow, I was wondering who might have given the Spam Stamp ummm...
who what when

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

who is spam, is clueless a movie, and nuts are for the circus

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Station Discussions

Search the Columbia Station Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 52 min woo-boy 29,187
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 23 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed They cannot kill a Spook 231
Donald and Terry Johnson Jul 20 Old classmate and friend 15
1119 Deitsch resignation nov 19 2013 at board m... Jul 16 FP parent 1
pelosi is wrong and raping womens choices Jul 11 tommorrow 1
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Station Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbia Station People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••