Public speaks to Kasich

Public speaks to Kasich

There are 142 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Apr 3, 2011, titled Public speaks to Kasich. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

Excerpts from the thousands of emails to Gov. John Kasich on Senate Bill 5, which limits collective-bargaining rights: I am a corrections officer with the state and have been for 15 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#127 Apr 4, 2011
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to be offensive, but you say you work for $8.75 an hour--are you college educated? Do you have a Master's Degree (most teachers are required to have one)? I work for Franklin County and I have a Bachelor's degree and post-graduate education. Last year I made $27,000.00.
ALL of the people effected by SB 5 also pay taxes as well as paying for our insurance. Most of us have, at a minimum, a Bachelor's degree. Most of us entered public service because we wanted to serve the public and help others; not to make a lot of money. We do the thankless jobs that no one else wants to do, and we do them well, and without complaint. We took these jobs knowing we would be earning far less than if we worked in the private sector; and most of us took these low paying jobs because low cost insurance was a benefit we were GUARANTEED. We won't be able to afford insurance if SB5 is enacted.
You say you make $8.75 an hour and have to pay for insurance. Have you looked into Medicaid for insurance for you and your child? It sounds like you would qualify for it.
You should take some time and actually talk to some of the people who will be hurt by the Bill if it becomes law before you spout off about taxes and insurance.
State of Ohio has no requirement for teachers to have a Masters degree. Taxpayers do however provide tuition reimbursement and then a nice big raise for them when they become overqualified for the job.
just sayin

Columbus, OH

#128 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
State of Ohio has no requirement for teachers to have a Masters degree. Taxpayers do however provide tuition reimbursement and then a nice big raise for them when they become overqualified for the job.
Youngstown (as an example) only provides $500/year.

http://www.youngstown.k12.oh.us/departments/h...
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#129 Apr 4, 2011
TTopper wrote:
SB 5 has moved attention away from the real threat to public education-the budget. These cuts will force our schools to cut all of the extras that separate us from the charters and digital academies. Governor Kasich will use the budget to do this. SB 5 is just the diversion for his true attack on public education!
SB5 doesn't do any of what you claim. Its intent was to leave government union employees with collective bargaining for wages only, and primarily to control costs for the taxpayer relative to health, vision, dental and pensions. This would avoid massive layoffs for government union employees. It is now law but there if a referendum circulating to do away with SB5. But I caution you to be careful of what you wish for. If the taxpayers vote to throw out SB5 (don't think that will happen) then we are back to massive layoffs of government union employees to balance the budget. The union leaders are inciting their members with inflammatory rethoric and one-liners and are speeding them, if successful, to be laid-off in big numbers. Kinda sounds stupid to trade your job to keep collective bargaining for insurance and pensions.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#130 Apr 4, 2011
just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Hilliard, Arlington, Dublin, Columbus, etc.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#131 Apr 4, 2011
just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the $20k in tuition reimbursement for a masters that is not required.
Taxpayer

Granville, OH

#132 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go. www.buckeyeinstitute.org Taxpayers generally pay 80% of the cost of their health, vision and dental insurance. Taxpayers pay about 14% of their gross pay into their pension. For an example, if they make $60,000 (some make $95,000) and have a family health, vision and dental policy which cost about $10k per year the amount the taxpayer adds up.$60K +$8K +$8.4K =$76,400 and that is for a typical 185 day teaching contract. When annualized for their 3 months off it comes to almost $102,000.00. If you think that is OK for an elementary school teacher then do nothing about it.
Some, also make $25,000. And for the millionth time on this board and other boards, the taxpayers are not paying teacher's insurance, and retirement. Those are part of the employees earned income. Are taxpayers also buying their cars, houses, clothing, furniture, food, etc. No, they are not, the public employees are buying those goods from local taxpayers with the Public Employees earned income.
Taxpayer

Granville, OH

#133 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong again Black Lion. The state of Ohio requires all new teachers to earn a Master's Degree withing their first few years of teaching.
concerned

Pickerington, OH

#134 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. To be a Highly Qualified Teacher, which is a requirement of the No Child Left Behind Act a teacher must obtain their Master's degree and continue to take and pay for classes to stay licensed. Tuition Reimbursement only applied between certain districts and universities many districts/teachers have cut that anyway. Sounds like continuing education would be a good idea for you. Make it a great day.
Taxpayer

Granville, OH

#135 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the $20k in tuition reimbursement for a masters that is not required.
Black Lion, you are wrong and can't read, what a terrible combination to have. I read the Youngstown Tuition Reimbursement form that you pointed out. It states each teacher can receive up to $500 a year. You are only 97.5% off. I think that puts you in the bottom 5%, maybe someone should take over your brain and run it more efficiently.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#136 Apr 4, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Some, also make $25,000. And for the millionth time on this board and other boards, the taxpayers are not paying teacher's insurance, and retirement. Those are part of the employees earned income. Are taxpayers also buying their cars, houses, clothing, furniture, food, etc. No, they are not, the public employees are buying those goods from local taxpayers with the Public Employees earned income.
There are no full time teachers K-12 in an accredited Ohio school who only make $25,000. Teachers generally pay(hard to be specific with 612 school districts in Ohio)20% for their health, vision and dental plan. Their employer (taxpayer) pays the remaining 80% of it. The taxpayers generally pay about 14% of the teachers gross salary into the pension program. Teachers pay some into also. Those are the facts.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#137 Apr 4, 2011
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. To be a Highly Qualified Teacher, which is a requirement of the No Child Left Behind Act a teacher must obtain their Master's degree and continue to take and pay for classes to stay licensed. Tuition Reimbursement only applied between certain districts and universities many districts/teachers have cut that anyway. Sounds like continuing education would be a good idea for you. Make it a great day.
NO MASTERS DEGREE IS REQUIRED TO BE A TEACHER IN THE STATE OF OHIO. It was changed years ago. Teachers get them or have them prior to being hired for persoanl enrichment and to obtain a bigger paycheck which could fit your 'Highly Qualified Teacher" terminology. I challenge you to cite your reference. If I am wrong, I will apologise and if you are wrong then I request your apology. Bet we don't hear from you again on this question.
Taxpayer

Granville, OH

#138 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no full time teachers K-12 in an accredited Ohio school who only make $25,000. Teachers generally pay(hard to be specific with 612 school districts in Ohio)20% for their health, vision and dental plan. Their employer (taxpayer) pays the remaining 80% of it. The taxpayers generally pay about 14% of the teachers gross salary into the pension program. Teachers pay some into also. Those are the facts.
Wrong again Black Lion. Look at the buckeye institute webpage and look up Barnesville Elementary School. I found a full time teacher there making 25,882.
Taxpayer

Granville, OH

#139 Apr 4, 2011
As for the your health care and retirement benefits. Those are part of a negotiated compensation package, it is money earned by the employee. Most teachers that I know would be willing to pay more of there healthcare, and retirement. This whole thing could have been worked out through collective bargaining.
state employee

Chillicothe, OH

#140 Apr 4, 2011
black lion
Once again your propanda dispells the truth. ODRC two weeks ago announced 170 layoffs. This december is the 2nd wave of layoffs. July 2012 is the 3rd layoff. All in total is expected around 1700 layoffs. Would you please get your facts straight before you keep spreading this rumor that SB5 will save these jobs. This is already in place regardless of SB5.
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
SB5 doesn't do any of what you claim. Its intent was to leave government union employees with collective bargaining for wages only, and primarily to control costs for the taxpayer relative to health, vision, dental and pensions. This would avoid massive layoffs for government union employees. It is now law but there if a referendum circulating to do away with SB5. But I caution you to be careful of what you wish for. If the taxpayers vote to throw out SB5 (don't think that will happen) then we are back to massive layoffs of government union employees to balance the budget. The union leaders are inciting their members with inflammatory rethoric and one-liners and are speeding them, if successful, to be laid-off in big numbers. Kinda sounds stupid to trade your job to keep collective bargaining for insurance and pensions.
state employee

Chillicothe, OH

#141 Apr 4, 2011
Once again Black Lion was proven wrong. You would think that he/she would check their facts before posting so many comments

Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again Black Lion. Look at the buckeye institute webpage and look up Barnesville Elementary School. I found a full time teacher there making 25,882.
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Going down

Columbus, OH

#142 Apr 4, 2011
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the silent people represent a group much larger than you think. They don't enjoy the benefits or pensions that public employees have had. When more Ohioans start to realize what a good deal public employees have had, Gov. Kasich will enjoy more support. He's taking a lot of heat, but what he's doing is in the long-term interest of Ohio.
Teachers always whine that these cuts will "hurt the children" to cover up that this is basiscally a fact that teachers' salaries have gone way up while the quality of education has gone way down.
If you want to know what teachers make in your district, check out the web site of the Buckeye Institute. You'll find that the kindergarten teacher making $90,000 for nine months work isn't the only teacher in that pay range.
The quality of education is going down because the quality of parenting is going down. Too many parents are too busy or disinterested in their kids' education to make them do the work needed to get a good education and too many other parents want their kids babied and complain to the teacher or principal when their kid gets a (deserved) bad grade by saying the grade will hurt little Johnny's chances of getting into a good college. God forbid the kids are actually expected to take responsibility for working at their education.

The quality of education also has gone down because teachers can't be unique any more. They have to teach to state standard tests. The goal is no longer to educate, but to get the kids to pass the tests so the school looks good on the state report card. Any deviation from standardized teaching is frowned upon.

I considered going into teaching, but I'm glad I never did. My best friend did and she got out after 10 years. She said the kids were more violent or drug addled than we ever were in the 70s and 80s and too many parents threatened to sue her when she disciplined the kids. Our parents policy was to give us double the punishment we got in school for acting up. So blame yourselves about the quality of education. You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher!
Going down

Columbus, OH

#143 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
NO MASTERS DEGREE IS REQUIRED TO BE A TEACHER IN THE STATE OF OHIO. It was changed years ago. Teachers get them or have them prior to being hired for persoanl enrichment and to obtain a bigger paycheck which could fit your 'Highly Qualified Teacher" terminology. I challenge you to cite your reference. If I am wrong, I will apologise and if you are wrong then I request your apology. Bet we don't hear from you again on this question.
Wrong. The school district where I live doesn't require a master's to get the job, but a teacher has six years to get a master's if they want to remain employed. I imagine others are similar. Check your facts.
state employee

Chillicothe, OH

#144 Apr 4, 2011
Black lion dont check his/her facts. Seems like everytime he/she post the comments are wrong.
Going down wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The school district where I live doesn't require a master's to get the job, but a teacher has six years to get a master's if they want to remain employed. I imagine others are similar. Check your facts.
just sayin

Columbus, OH

#145 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
http://connected.waldenu.edu/career-developme...
just sayin

Columbus, OH

#146 Apr 4, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Hilliard, Arlington, Dublin, Columbus, etc.
OK, here's Dublin. According to this website, they provide loans for higher education:

http://dublinea.org/index.php... ;

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fire at Goldies Deli Apr 2 Kay and Bill 4
News Man in clown mask carrying knife scares element... Feb '18 Denise 1
Review: Patient First - John Kavlich MD (May '09) Jan '18 pfffttttt 71
News Ex-Congressman Dennis Kucinich to launch bid fo... Jan '18 Proof or Dare 9
News North Ridgeville's Avalon Drive is a target of ... Jan '18 Kam 1
News Chevy dealer honored by GM (Apr '08) Jan '18 RonG 21
News Physician Somnath Roy is accused of sex crimes (Nov '07) Dec '17 Big Red 72

Columbia Station Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbia Station Mortgages