Public speaks to Kasich

Excerpts from the thousands of emails to Gov. John Kasich on Senate Bill 5, which limits collective-bargaining rights: I am a corrections officer with the state and have been for 15 years. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Karla Katz

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Apr 3, 2011
Looks more, and more as if this newspaper is being run by MSNBC.
Pat

Marysville, OH

#2 Apr 3, 2011
Does this bill effect ALL government employees or just those in unions? I work for a government agency but we never been union. I sure hope they don't throw us all in the same bucket, none of us makes $10 an hour now. Our city picks up our health insurance though. No way can I afford to pay 15% on $9.50 an hour. I only take home $513 every two weeks now.
Its Not Done Yet

United States

#3 Apr 3, 2011
It is the silent people that worry me. As this referendum goes forward, those are the ones we don't know who they are to educate them. Between SB5 and what is in the budget, I am very very concerned about the cuts to education and special education. I am very fearful for our neediest children - those that are in the poverty ridden districts are not going to get the services that they need.

And btw - as an educator, I do not live in a bubble
Dispatch Bias

Dublin, OH

#4 Apr 3, 2011
Another Dispatch article stated that 84% of e-mails were against SB5, but one would never know that by reading these excerpts... what happened to quality news at the Dispatch? It is sad to see one of the last local newspapers lose its quality.
Dativus

Mount Sterling, KY

#5 Apr 3, 2011
Boy, I hope everyone who sent the Governor comments about SB 5, especially those individuals who are public union members who are coming out in favor of the bill, were fully aware of the risk that the Dispatch would plaster their name, city, and comments on their website. As passionate as the fight over that bill has been, I'd be worried if I were these individuals.

This is something the Dispatch and other media outlets need to learn - the right to access to public records isn't a blank check to carelessly throw information out there. I'm certain these poor individuals would have paused if they realized their comments, names, and homes would be put out here like this. The Dispatch fights hard to maintain public access rights, but actions such as this just give the politicians more reason to limit access.

And at the end of the day, articles such as this will only have a chilling effect upon citizens communicating with their government. Citizens will likely think twice now about communicating with their elected officials concerning hot topics because the Dispatch might just decide to post it for the entire world to see.
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Apr 3, 2011
Amazing the undying LOVE and Suuport the worthless Columbus Dispatch shows their boy John Kasuck. It will cost the paper dearly in the end regardless of what the arrognat out of touch Wolfe family thinks. They are cut from teh same cloth as Kasuck trying to shove their agenda down our throats
CincyTom

Ft Mitchell, KY

#7 Apr 3, 2011
Why the fluff article? It has no point and does not accurately reflect public opinion.
Allen

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 3, 2011
Its Not Done Yet wrote:
It is the silent people that worry me. As this referendum goes forward, those are the ones we don't know who they are to educate them. Between SB5 and what is in the budget, I am very very concerned about the cuts to education and special education. I am very fearful for our neediest children - those that are in the poverty ridden districts are not going to get the services that they need.
And btw - as an educator, I do not live in a bubble
I think the silent people represent a group much larger than you think. They don't enjoy the benefits or pensions that public employees have had. When more Ohioans start to realize what a good deal public employees have had, Gov. Kasich will enjoy more support. He's taking a lot of heat, but what he's doing is in the long-term interest of Ohio.

Teachers always whine that these cuts will "hurt the children" to cover up that this is basiscally a fact that teachers' salaries have gone way up while the quality of education has gone way down.

If you want to know what teachers make in your district, check out the web site of the Buckeye Institute. You'll find that the kindergarten teacher making $90,000 for nine months work isn't the only teacher in that pay range.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bob

Atlanta, GA

#10 Apr 3, 2011
The easiest solution is to just pass an 800 billion stimulus plan on a national level every year. We can raise the tax on the wealthy back to pre Bush levels, according to most, that will bring in 70 billion a year. Who cares about a 1.4 trillion dollar a year debt as long as unions get to collectively bargain for benefits, without that option for unions, we are screwed.
Southern Crossing

Falmouth, KY

#11 Apr 3, 2011
Allen, there's no Kndergarten teacher who makes that much money. Stop spreading lies and misinfo. Or are you just another one of those boot lickin' Koch puppets?
citizenjam

Bellefontaine, OH

#12 Apr 3, 2011
Te pendulum swings and it has swung too far in compensating those on the public payroll beyond what the Ohio taxpayer can afford. So it will swing back to and through the center regardless of politics because we can only do what we can afford and Ohio is broke. So hang on for the ride back to center. We will all prosper when the center is reached if only briefly as the pendulum swings through it.
Hope

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 3, 2011
Merit based pay, cops pull you over for doing 56mph in a 55mph, more tickets more chance to get a raise, If cows give more milk then the Dept of Ag. employees get a raise? Less people sick then Dept of Health gets a raise? Trees grow bigger then Forestry employees get a raise, inmates quit cursing then correction officers get a raise, so on. It will be subjective and not objective. The current system is with experience and training you are considered a more valuable employee to the state if you stick around, like most business it takes awhile to learn the job. If you stick around there are step increase approx. 4-7 based on the job. The current system is best for this type of work, merit based pay is used in sales, state employees don't sale items.
unfair

Reynoldsburg, OH

#14 Apr 3, 2011
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the silent people represent a group much larger than you think. They don't enjoy the benefits or pensions that public employees have had. When more Ohioans start to realize what a good deal public employees have had, Gov. Kasich will enjoy more support. He's taking a lot of heat, but what he's doing is in the long-term interest of Ohio.
Teachers always whine that these cuts will "hurt the children" to cover up that this is basiscally a fact that teachers' salaries have gone way up while the quality of education has gone way down.
If you want to know what teachers make in your district, check out the web site of the Buckeye Institute. You'll find that the kindergarten teacher making $90,000 for nine months work isn't the only teacher in that pay range.
See, AGAIN, here's another example of perpetuating "teacher hate". You start off with an intelligent point in your first paragraph, then degrade the power of your comment by jumping right into

"teachers ALWAYS WHINE.."

"...teachers' SALARIES have GONE WAY UP, while the QUALITY of education has GONE WAY DOWN."

"...for WORKING NINE MONTHS.."

The emphasis in these quotes from your comment are mine. I use the emphasis to show the parts of your comment that I see over and over from those who engage in "teacher hate" here on the boards. You are stereotyping, plain and simple. Here's MY simple opinion: you should have quit while you were ahead. You know nothing of the profession, but you spout off the same rhetoric that you read from other people's posts.

By the way, SB5 ISN"T just about educators; it affects the families of police officers, firemen, nurses, and prison guards as well. We all belong to public sector unions. I think your "silent people" group might also want to take into consideration that many PRIVATE sector unions are also against the bill, as are members of the clergy. The pool of people who see this bill as a piece of BAD legislation is growing rapidly.
Conservatives Lie

Powell, OH

#15 Apr 3, 2011
Is this the "fair and balanced' Faux Snooze look you were hoping to see?

Hogwash, and typical slanted Dispatch fluff piece!
unfair

Reynoldsburg, OH

#16 Apr 3, 2011
citizenjam wrote:
Te pendulum swings and it has swung too far in compensating those on the public payroll beyond what the Ohio taxpayer can afford. So it will swing back to and through the center regardless of politics because we can only do what we can afford and Ohio is broke. So hang on for the ride back to center. We will all prosper when the center is reached if only briefly as the pendulum swings through it.
I like your analogy!
someone

Hilliard, OH

#17 Apr 3, 2011
I don't understand how folks who are unhappy with the performance of state / local employees think this is a good idea. If the quality of education is going down, is cutting the income of teachers going to help retain/attract the best, or drive them away and only retain those with no options (along with those who just love it and will stay anyway)?

The answer is obvious: cutting the income of teachers WILL absolutely, without a doubt harm education in Ohio.

A fundamental truth of business is that 80% of any performance problem is a management problem. This is just as true in education or any other government service. Staff CAN BE, and ARE fired for poor performance. It isn't "easy", but who said it had to be easy? If management wants to improve the performance of underperformers, or terminate those who won't perform, it CAN BE DONE. The issue is that the management doesn't want to do the "hard" work to actually document, counsel, and escalate the issue through the required steps. This required process protects both the employee from abusive/biased managers as well as the State from losing qualified staff or being sued for invalid termination.

Look to the exempt staff for the problems, and the solutions to them.
ramseyjames

Bellefontaine, OH

#18 Apr 3, 2011
Karla Katz wrote:
Looks more, and more as if this newspaper is being run by MSNBC.
I can tell by your comments that you are an idiot. Why don't you get that idiot from Pittsburg, that was unleashed on Ohio, to come back to Pittsburg. He is also an idiot just like you!
timmy

Youngstown, OH

#19 Apr 3, 2011
I'm for Collective Barging ,but for Regulating Wall Street more ! The PONZI is over school Boys. Hope you have not forgot how to work and get dirty. Sorry you'll have to clean YOUR NAILS !
Kasich Will Destroy Ohio

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 3, 2011
Outside of the major cities, teachers have been focused on helping their districts. They work with the board and superintendent and ask for very little year to year. Most districts already pay 15% in health care and get small (much less then the rise of costs in the standard of living) but we do what we do because we enjoy helping guide kids to be respectable citizens. We are not all democrats, we are taxpayers, and we work our butts off each day, night, weekends, and summers. SB5 will do nothing but force districts to lay off teachers causing more harm then good in the classrooms. Senator Jones is insane and is going to be the patsy when all falls apart for the GOP.
hog2561

Bowling Green, OH

#21 Apr 3, 2011
and to think somewhere a teacher taught these politicians. i bet they would love to take their educations back.they just turned on them for no reason. dog eat dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min PASStyme2retireUR... 31,129
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Fri Vic 231
Cut screen interpreted as attempted break in: O... Sep 14 BLB 1
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191
Animal Planet Investigates Petland (May '10) Sep 3 Julie 27
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug '14 gary 2,230
Review: North Ridge Christian Life Church (Jan '13) Jul '14 Don 23
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Station Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbia Station People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbia Station News, Events & Info