Strongsville teachers deserve community support: Matthew Langlais

Mar 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cleveland.com

And if you live in Northeast Ohio, support Strongsville's teachers in their struggle.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2013
ThatGuy

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Deserve our support? Hell no! In fact, any future levy in the ballet that threatens to lay teachers off if not passed will NOT GET MY VOTE.
Striking is striking. I don't care for it, but it is what it is. But the conduct of the teachers during this strike is unacceptable and inexcusable.
Our Strongsville teachers are greedy low class individuals who deserve a pink slip, not our support
Garynovak

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Strongsville boe members need to let the superintendent be the superintendent and not micromanage the district as they are doing presently. The boe members are directing the lawyers to take the position that forces the teachers to take action. The boe needs to bow out and take the superintendents suggestions and act on them. John Krupinski is a seasoned professional and, as such, he is trusted by the teachers which will lead to a negotiated settlements. The boe is not capable of leading and developing the trust needed to get this strike over
sville teachers r a joke

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

I hope all you pathetic excuses for teachers lose your jobs. Your an embarrassment to this city, your students, and yourselves. How do you expect your students to respect you when your on the street acting like fools, walking in front of cars, harassing your fellow teachers who cross the picket line, and getting arrested. Grow the fuxk up you immature losers. Your own students are more mature than you. How does it feel to be the laughing stock of the nation? I cant wait until your all unemployed.
sillyme

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

sville teachers r a joke wrote:
I hope all you pathetic excuses for teachers lose your jobs. Your an embarrassment to this city, your students, and yourselves. How do you expect your students to respect you when your on the street acting like fools, walking in front of cars, harassing your fellow teachers who cross the picket line, and getting arrested. Grow the fuxk up you immature losers. Your own students are more mature than you. How does it feel to be the laughing stock of the nation? I cant wait until your all unemployed.
It looks like your (sic) right! They did not do a very good job of teaching you when you were in school. Your (sic) a hoot!
an observer

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

I just read this statement from the Strongsville Education Association:
Friday, March 22, 2013

STRONGSVILLE – Earlier this morning the full Negotiating Team representing the Strongsville Education Association (SEA) met with Tom Perciak, the Mayor of Strongsville, in an attempt to reach a settlement to the teachers strike that is now ending its third week. While the Mayor had previously invited all five Board members of the Strongsville City Schools to attend, neither Board President Dave Frazee, nor Richard Micko, Ruth Brickley, Carl Naso or Jennifer Sinisgali took him up on the offer.

While the SEA Team members were disappointed by the Board’s absolute refusal to meet in person to negotiate a settlement, the SEA Team was thankful that the Mayor extended the opportunity to the parties.“On behalf of the SEA, I would like to personally thank Mayor Perciak for graciously offering up time in his schedule to meet with the SEA and the Board. While I am certainly disappointed by the Board’s refusal to meet with the Mayor and the SEA in order to explore a possible settlement, we are appreciative of his efforts and for the wealth of experience he brings to the process,” said SEA President Tracy Linscott.

Based upon the advice and recommendations of Mayor Perciak, whose previous experience in settling fifteen different labor agreements proved invaluable, the SEA Negotiating Team has prepared a comprehensive counterproposal to the Last Best Offer issued by the Board on March 2nd. The new offer includes over $300,000 in proposed savings to the district, including significant additional concessions on insurance and the elimination of future VPGs.

Said Linscott,“What can I say; while this is the second time we have countered our own counter in order to get the Board to move off of their Last Best Offer, the recommendations of the Mayor went a long way towards convincing us that it was the right thing to do. I just wish the Board would take him up on his offer. If he can convince us to move, I’m sure he could convince the Board to move if only they would come to his office to meet with the teachers.”

While the Board continues to insist that the parties can only meet when the Mediator calls a session, the reality is that even the Mediator has publicly stated that the parties can meet at any time without the assistance of Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS). Furthermore, the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the parties only requires the use of FMCS until a Last Best Offer is implemented or the teachers exercise their right to strike. Said Linscott,“for Dave Frazee to continually cite expired language that even the Mediator has said is no longer binding upon the parties speaks volumes. It’s time for the Board to stop hiding, do the right thing, and start talking to their teachers. This strike won’t end until they do.”

SEA urges parents to contact their school board members to demand that the board become actively involved in negotiation.

-- The Strongsville Education represents nearly 385 highly qualified classroom teachers, guidance counselors and special education interventionists in the Strongsville City School District
An Observer

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Friday, March 22, 2013

Today's Plain Dealer reports BIG DIFFERENCES between BOE's story of strike costs to district and ACTUAL strike costs. Further evidence of the board’s incompetence? See: http://bit.ly/15WOMiS

Or read it below:
STRONGSVILLE – With the Strongsville Education Association (SEA) strike ending its third week, alarming costs being incurred by the district to fund the strike are becoming clearer. According to a
report by Patrick O’Donnell in the Friday, March 22 Plain Dealer,“the district has paid outside security guards and a firm that is helping to hire substitutes more than $431,000 through just the first week of
the strike.”

O’Donnell also reports that, according to district Treasurer Deb Herrmann, substitutes were paid about $150,000 for one week. With the district unwilling to provide estimates on legal fees, the full
picture of the district’s costs to fund the strike is incomplete. According to the numbers in the report, the district spends over $581,000 per week on security and substitutes.

This figure is far greater that the $460,000 that O’Donnell reported as Herrmann’s estimate for the salary earned by the district’s striking teachers for one week.

If the figures reported to O’Donnell by the district are accurate, the district is losing over $120,000 per week during the strike, before including attorney fees. Over a 3 week period, it would mean that the
district has lost over $360,000 during the strike, in addition to its accumulated legal fees.

The SEA is left to speculate and rely on news reports of the district’s costs as they have been repeatedly denied in public records requests. In response to the district’s refusals to submit to the requests, the Ohio Education Association (OEA) filed Thursday for a court order from the 8 th Ohio District Court of Appeals to force the district to comply with requests.

“While the real losers in this strike are the students that have been subjected to glorified babysitting for the past three weeks, it has now become clear that the interests of the taxpayers, and common
sense in general, are also under assault by an out of touch Board that is actually spending more per week to run the district into the ground than they would normally spend to provide students with a
high quality public education,” said SEA President Tracy Linscott.“It is bad enough that the students have spent three weeks receiving a completely fake education, but to find out this is being done at a
greater cost to taxpayers than real school is further evidence of the board’s incompetence.”

SEA urges parents to contact their school board members to demand that the board become actively involved in negotiation.

** The Strongsville Education represents nearly 385 highly qualified classroom teachers, guidance counselors and special education interventionists in the Strongsville City School District.**
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

This is from Springboro, OH referring to the celebration at a recent board meeting when the principal of the high school told everyone that 97.4% of the OGT test results were PROFICIENT and above.

I suspect the people of Strongsville have been sold the same bill of goods.

OGT lack of worthwhile standards and again nobody stands up and gives any answers for any of this, just give me more money or your kids will suffer.
Ask the high school staff if any of this is true or not. I looked up the same stuff Just Watching did.

If you can find the question I will try and come up with the answer.

Or you could explain to all of us why you are not defining the classification of "Proficient" on the OGT.

A helpful tutelage from the Ohio Department of Education on the scales for the results on the Math test

Limited.........0-12 points..........0-25% correct on the test
Basic..........12.5-17.5 points.......26%-36% correct on the test
PROFICIENT...18-27 points..........37.5%-56% correct on the test
Accelerated...27.5-34 points..........57%-71% correct on the test
Advanced......34.5-48 points..........72%-100% correct on the test

This is not a difficult test, take it for yourself, it is on the ODE website.

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages ...

Then wonder why after two years of preparation in our "college prep" high school, nearly 40% of the children taking this test score 75% or less, and still have not mastered basic math covering what should have been learned in grades 1-9. They even let a child use a calculator and provide a cheat sheet with all the necessary formulas required to answer the questions on the test.

Seriously, who wishes to defend labeling a student who has mastered less than 56% of the math material as "PROFICIENT"?

Only our high school administration team would sit in front of the cameras and present to the community 97.4% of our students taking the OGT were "PROFICIENT" and above. And then proceed to bask in the clapping and cheering from the union and the union supporters with a straight face.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Springboro schools are rated Excellent with Distinction.

I asked for the frequency distribution for each grade on the Ohio Achievement Assessment tests so I could see how many students were getting how many questions correct on the test.

I contrasted this information and definitions provided by the state with traditional grade scoring means.

In our 8th grade in Springboro we have 239 our of 438 students score
BELOW 63%.

Ask your school district for you information and plot it yourself, the results will astound you.

Ask the union to address this issue during negotiation and then see how their pay looks.

8th Grade 2011-2012 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......50 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 8th grade
Limited.......... 3 Students
Limited.......... 20% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -10 correct answers =(0-20% correct)
Basic..........25 Students
Basic ..........27% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--11- 15 correct answers =(22-30% correct)
Proficient........174 Students
Proficient........47% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -16-29 correct answers =(32-58% correct)
Accelerated.....159 Students
Accelerated.....67% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--30 -36 correct answers =(60-72% correct)
Advanced........77 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--37 -50 correct answers =(74-100% correct)
Applying Mr. Malone's (the high school principal) same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......239 Students
Percentage of Students.....55% receiving F
D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....25% receiving D
C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........49 Students
Percentage of Students.....11% receiving C
B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........36 Students
Percentage of Students.....8% receiving B
A..... 93% correct answers and above.....6 Students
Percentage of Students.....1% receiving A
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

PROFICIENT is a sweet sounding synonym for FAILURE.

In 8th grade in Math you need to score between 32% and 58% to be considered PROFICIENT.

Get just 1 out of 3 answers correct and the state of Ohio and the teachers will deem you to be PROFICIENT.

On the Ohio Graduation Test you need to score between 37.5% and 56% to be considered PROFICIENT.

Take the Ohio Graduation Test and get 3 out of 8 answers correct and the state of Ohio and the teachers will deem you to be PROFICIENT.

While the teacher's union does not set the scales or the bars, they are silently complicit.

Ask any of them if any of the above information is true and decide for yourself if our children are getting the education we are funding.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia Station Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 16 min xxxrayted 30,430
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Review: North Ridge Christian Life Church (Jan '13) Jul 28 Don 23
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul '14 They cannot kill ... 231
Donald and Terry Johnson (Jan '14) Jul '14 Old classmate and... 15
1119 Deitsch resignation nov 19 2013 at board m... Jul '14 FP parent 1

Search the Columbia Station Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Station Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbia Station People Search