Robotic Surgery Performed at Spartanburg Regional

Full story: WLTX Columbia

Spartanburg Regional can now offer a new, minimally invasive treatment for patients with prostate cancer called the da Vinci Prostatectomy.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Nov 12, 2013
max ender

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2007

I had the di vinci surgery at trinity mother francis hospital, tyler , texas on july 24, 2006. Dr. kirkpatrick and his staff did a marvelous job. My psa in jan. was well below limits. I would recommed this surgery to any one especially those in their 70,s like me. Early detection in my case proved very beneficial. you may contact me at above e-mail. thanks max ender
Shep Rustin

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2007

I had this surgery on Dec. 21,2006 in Charlotte by Dr. Chris Teigland. After talking to several people who had the conventional form of radical prostatectomy, the da Vinci form is a no-brainer. If it were nothing more than just the recovery time, it was worth it. I was back to work in 11 days. Anyone wishes to contact me, please do, I'm a believer.
CONFUSED

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2007

My robot needs surgery, can they fix it?.
deb

Concord, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2007

Hi Shep,
My husband was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Tiegland is his doctor. We got the impression he was more comfortable with the open surgery versus da vinci. He offered both, but I'm thinking because my husband is 53, the radical prostatectomy is preferred. His gleason scores a 6 with a psa of 2.4. Anything you can offer on the daVinci's effectiveness would be appreciated. We're still researching and haven't made a final decision on what to do yet.
Pat

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

Deb,
I am also in the process of deciding on prostate cancer treatment, and I have concluded that either robotic surgery or proton beam therapy is the best, at least for my situation. If your husband goes with robotic only do so with an experienced doc. I suggest a minimum of 250 cases with the robotic equipment.

Since: Sep 07

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

Hi Deb,

I had the da Vinci robotic surgery 41 days ago. I have had four hospital operations and this one was a breeze as far as surgery goes. I know everyone is different, but most of my friends who have had robotic came through with flying colors. I could have gone home from the hospital in 24 hours, but elected to take a rest and go home in 36 hours. I was back to work in 3 weeks and I'm feeling great.

If you're young like me (54) and have a low PSA (like your husbandís 2.4, mine was 4.3) surgery is considered the "gold standard" because the cancer is likely confined to the prostate and you have very good chance of getting all of it out of your body. My surgeon (a wonderful woman!) has had 5 years of experience with the da Vinci machine and she prefers it to open surgery because of the low impact to the patient and the ability to maneuver and see in 3-D close-up inside the body.

Having said that, your final choice of treatment will be the right choice for you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best to you in your decision!
Citys_Cierra2008

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

hello, my name is Cierra Francis. I did a research paper on robotic surgery. If anyone can answer a few questions for me it would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Walter from Indiana

La Porte, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

deb wrote:
Hi Shep,
My husband was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Tiegland is his doctor. We got the impression he was more comfortable with the open surgery versus da vinci. He offered both, but I'm thinking because my husband is 53, the radical prostatectomy is preferred. His gleason scores a 6 with a psa of 2.4. Anything you can offer on the daVinci's effectiveness would be appreciated. We're still researching and haven't made a final decision on what to do yet.
My doctor wanted to do the open surgery also and didnt tell me about the daVinci method. I had to find out myself thru research. It was the best option for me (if I have a chance to get the cancer out of my body, I want it out.) You want to get a doctor that has done at least 200 + procedures with the daVinci. I had no pain, no problems, went home the next day with a catheter for 5 days. After the 5 days the catheter was removed and I stayed off work for another 5 days just to make sure I felt ok. I returned to work and did heavy lifting and my usual work. Its been 2 years now and I have not had a single problem with incontenance or sexual disfunction. I had my bi-yearly PSA test yesterday and it was .07
I highly recommend the daVinci. Look it up on the internet under prostatecancer.com
AOK

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

You might want to check out last weekís podcast by the Prostate Net. Itís all about minimally invasive surgery, includinglaparoscopic and robotic prostate surgery:

http://www.laprp.com/media/10_24_07_Krongrad_...
AOK

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

oops. this is the right link:

http://www.laprp.com/article.php...
resh11

Bekasi, Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2008

Hi. i have some questions answered by someone who has gone through robotic surgery and was wondering if you could help me with this. Do reply. thnx.
max ender wrote:
I had the di vinci surgery at trinity mother francis hospital, tyler , texas on july 24, 2006. Dr. kirkpatrick and his staff did a marvelous job. My psa in jan. was well below limits. I would recommed this surgery to any one especially those in their 70,s like me. Early detection in my case proved very beneficial. you may contact me at above e-mail. thanks max ender
copperlady

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2008

OMG, was it Bob, please don't tell me it was Bob the robot?!! I tried to tell him...charge your batteries, but noooooooo.
btj

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

?
copperlady

Blythewood, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

btj wrote:
?
Bob the robot was a regular poster here. And although he was a robot, he tried his best to communicate like the rest of us humans. He even fell in love...with another poster, Danni! Why, I'll never know. At any rate, he wanted to be human soooo bad, but alas, he soon found out that he was not made of flesh and bone, but of metal, and left over sardine cans. One day I noticed that he started saying odd things on the forum, well, ODDer than usual. I advised Bob to have his batteries checked, he wouldn't listen, and the rest is, well...history! Farewell Bob, thanks for the memories!!!
btj

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2008

copperlady wrote:
<quoted text>Bob the robot was a regular poster here. And although he was a robot, he tried his best to communicate like the rest of us humans. He even fell in love...with another poster, Danni! Why, I'll never know. At any rate, he wanted to be human soooo bad, but alas, he soon found out that he was not made of flesh and bone, but of metal, and left over sardine cans. One day I noticed that he started saying odd things on the forum, well, ODDer than usual. I advised Bob to have his batteries checked, he wouldn't listen, and the rest is, well...history! Farewell Bob, thanks for the memories!!!
I thought that was Bob Dole.
Thanks for the explanation
Lol
Mac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2009

Shep Rustin wrote:
I had this surgery on Dec. 21,2006 in Charlotte by Dr. Chris Teigland. After talking to several people who had the conventional form of radical prostatectomy, the da Vinci form is a no-brainer. If it were nothing more than just the recovery time, it was worth it. I was back to work in 11 days. Anyone wishes to contact me, please do, I'm a believer.
I live in Gastonia and am considering the robotic prostate cancer procedure. How old are you? Any side effects sexually? What is the name of Dr. Teigland's group? Thanks for sharing your experience.
macmccormick44@yahoo.com
Christian McKean

Hillsboro, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

It is no doubt the robotic surgery has been used by a number of hospitals worldwide. Robotic surgery has been heavily promoted by hospitals, attracting patients. However, there are allegations that the manufacturer of robotic device, Intuitive Surgical, hids the potential dangers associated with the product. I suggest that you refer for articles at http://www.davincilawsuit.us/ , that I think may be of great help to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) 12 hr NEWORLDORDERPLAN2... 1,148
captainobvious Tue cayleyvelez 1
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Tue Justice 5,656
Should All SC Judges Be Drug and Alcohol Tested... Aug 24 Corrupt SC 0
The Jean Toal Parking Experience Aug 24 Corrupt SC 1
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Aug 23 D9Z17Xray 22
Community Health Systems Security Breach: Consu... Aug 22 shron777 1
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000