Report: SC's Graduation Rate 4th Worst

Report: SC's Graduation Rate 4th Worst

There are 57 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jun 4, 2008, titled Report: SC's Graduation Rate 4th Worst. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A new report shows South Carolina's graduation rate has improved slightly in five years, but remains among the nation's worst.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dhb

Myrtle Beach, SC

#1 Jun 4, 2008
Oh good... more GREAT news about a 1st class State!
Cocks

Camden, SC

#2 Jun 4, 2008
That couldn't have anything to do with the demographics of this state could it?
christie

Chapin, SC

#3 Jun 4, 2008
yet another reason to homeschool.....
duh

Columbia, SC

#4 Jun 4, 2008
NO... It can't be THAT!! Compare statistics to Vermont or North Dakota for a REAL eye-opener.
Good Grief

United States

#5 Jun 4, 2008
Start holding parents legally responsible if their children don't attend school and graduate. I'd say the fault lies at home pretty much most if not all of the time.
SC Citizen

Columbia, SC

#6 Jun 4, 2008
Don't worry, they'll get a job at WLTX. Being a proofreader of course.
judy

Columbia, SC

#7 Jun 4, 2008
SC Citizen wrote:
Don't worry, they'll get a job at WLTX. Being a proofreader of course.
LOL LOL LOL LOL! Good one...
Crazee

Summerville, SC

#8 Jun 4, 2008
So we're 47th in graduating students from high school, but we are just 34th in per student spending at $6,114. So that tells me that we are spending enough money, but we're not getting the desired results. We need changes. Has anyone seen any lately in SC? The newest guy in charge of the SC Ed Dept has done little to move towards any change.
PKB

Sumter, SC

#9 Jun 4, 2008
And Dreher is in the top 5 percent of public schools in the country. But lower richland which is full of thugs along with keenan, eau claire ca johnson hmmm black schools contribute nothing but criminals. yea yea i know there are the rare 2 students in these schools that do graduate and pay their taxes. but face it people, blacks bring down this state and country. and if that muslim obama gets elected this country will take years to recover.
Knows the Inside Scoop

Newberry, SC

#10 Jun 4, 2008
Maybe our graduation rate is so low because we don't just hand out diplomas like they were candy. Maybe we make kids earn what they get and most don't earn a diploma.
EJF Member

Columbia, SC

#11 Jun 4, 2008
Virtually first in everything negative and virtually last in everything positive. Let's all give a big hand to our State politicians.
Jim Bagwell

Irmo, SC

#12 Jun 4, 2008
And we need more buildings and more electronic gadgets and higher paid teachers? Same old story for the last 40 years, when will the teachers accept responsibility and start teaching? When? More high priced buildings are not the answerer's, it's the teachers stupid.
lhs

Lexington, SC

#13 Jun 4, 2008
when you graduate from college you are atleast 22 years old so your parents should still be responsible? Geez, my daughter will be 20 next year, a Junior in college and married. Will that still make me responsible for her not graduating on time? your comment is stupid.
Good Grief wrote:
Start holding parents legally responsible if their children don't attend school and graduate. I'd say the fault lies at home pretty much most if not all of the time.

“Join reality.”

Since: Jul 07

Columbia, SC

#14 Jun 4, 2008
Jim Bagwell wrote:
And we need more buildings and more electronic gadgets and higher paid teachers? Same old story for the last 40 years, when will the teachers accept responsibility and start teaching? When? More high priced buildings are not the answerer's, it's the teachers stupid.
Nope... it's the stupid parents. They have to send their kids to school ready to learn. They have to be motivated. The kids need someone at home asking "How was school?" and "Have you done your homework? No? Do you need help?"

Without that, it doesn't matter how good the teachers are.

“Join reality.”

Since: Jul 07

Columbia, SC

#15 Jun 4, 2008
lhs wrote:
when you graduate from college you are atleast 22 years old so your parents should still be responsible? Geez, my daughter will be 20 next year, a Junior in college and married. Will that still make me responsible for her not graduating on time? your comment is stupid.
<quoted text>
Read much? The article is about high school graduations. Your comment is irrelevant.
Republican

United States

#17 Jun 4, 2008
PKB wrote:
And Dreher is in the top 5 percent of public schools in the country. But lower richland which is full of thugs along with keenan, eau claire ca johnson hmmm black schools contribute nothing but criminals. yea yea i know there are the rare 2 students in these schools that do graduate and pay their taxes. but face it people, blacks bring down this state and country. and if that muslim obama gets elected this country will take years to recover.
Sorry dude,but the country will never recover...we better move to Australia.......
a real american

United States

#19 Jun 4, 2008
Good Grief wrote:
Start holding parents legally responsible if their children don't attend school and graduate. I'd say the fault lies at home pretty much most if not all of the time.
What do you do when they don't have or know who their daddy is ?
white boy

United States

#20 Jun 4, 2008
At least we are 4th in something????
move_already

Sumter, SC

#21 Jun 4, 2008
Republican wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry dude,but the country will never recover...we better move to Australia.......
Bye- don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya
SC Resident

AOL

#22 Jun 4, 2008
It's not the politicians' fault. It is the culture here and the lazy parents who are at fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... (Aug '15) 2 hr Alison I 114
News Georgia Family Settles Autism Suit (Mar '08) Wed VACCINES CAUSE AU... 119
News SCANA tells regulators: Cutting power bills wou... Wed Stan 1
Atheism is a religion that worships mankind. Dec 11 tHEmAN1111 1
News Some see echoes of '68 court case in wedding ca... Dec 3 Pence of Tides 2
News More Than Lower Rates and Refunds in Proposed E... Dec 3 stan 1
Are you in Pain? Hmu at 62-022-02269 for a hookup Nov 28 Stewsurfs 3

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages