Teacher Duct Tapes Kid to Chair

Teacher Duct Tapes Kid to Chair

There are 164 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jun 4, 2008, titled Teacher Duct Tapes Kid to Chair. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A nine-year-old student in Oregon says his teacher taped him to his chair with duct tape.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
oh come on

Columbia, SC

#1 Jun 4, 2008
This might be the best thing for this kid. He admitted he was acting up.
One Love

Columbia, SC

#2 Jun 4, 2008
If you kept the lil bad A Z Z in line at home a teacher wouldn't have to duck tape the little monster.

He really was off the chain, and at nine he's playing the mother real hard. He waits all day until bedtime to say oh yeah I got taped to my chair. If it really bothered him he that would have been the first thing out the childs mouth when he got home.

Now her Dumb A Z Z pulling him outta school so he can go home and play playstation II, X-Box 360, and make bombs in his closed bedroom door.
Dap

Opp, AL

#3 Jun 4, 2008
Teachers are here to provide an education for those who want to learn. By him not obeying the classroom rules he was taking away from the other children who want to learn. Discipline starts at HOME!!!! This mother should have taught this child to sit his self down and pay attention. If we could go back to the days when I was a student. The entire school system would be a better. When I acted up, I got my behind tore up at school and at home.
If your child
can not goto school and obey the rules
then you keep him at home and
teach him your self and you would probably need some duct tape too.
John Hogan

Sandy Hook, CT

#4 Jun 4, 2008
How times have changed, if I told my parents that I had been duct taped to a chair they would have disciplined me again for not obeying the teacher. Now this teacher who was obviously frustrated by a misbehaving child stands to lose her job... How long do you think it will be before the mother sues the school?

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#5 Jun 4, 2008
"If I personally as a parent did that as a child (protective services)would come take the kid out of my house. If I could lose custody of my kid if that happened in my house why should a teacher be allowed to do that to a student? And they're gonna give her 10 days of leave and slap her on the hand?"

This woman is right. If there'd been an emergency, it could have been a tragedy. This teacher is there to teach. If the kid was disruptive, he ought to have been sent to the office, NOT restrained.

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 4, 2008
They typos are NOT mine...I copied and pasted from the news story. The reporter did that.
ed angel

Kershaw, SC

#7 Jun 4, 2008
Dap wrote:
Teachers are here to provide an education for those who want to learn. By him not obeying the classroom rules he was taking away from the other children who want to learn. Discipline starts at HOME!!!! This mother should have taught this child to sit his self down and pay attention. If we could go back to the days when I was a student. The entire school system would be a better. When I acted up, I got my behind tore up at school and at home.
If your child
I agree with you except for one thing.!When we went to school , Our parents could bust our behinds! Now they go to jail for that.(PUT THE BLAME WHERE IT BELONGS ----ON THE F>>N GOVERNMENT!)........ED ANGEL
ed angel

Kershaw, SC

#8 Jun 4, 2008
oh come on wrote:
This might be the best thing for this kid. He admitted he was acting up.
The best thing for this kid would've been a good hillbilly ass whipping with a hickory switch!!!.......ED ANGEL
Roger the Shrubber

Melbourne, FL

#9 Jun 4, 2008
I'm shocked and stunned that this story did not come out of Florida.
ed angel

Kershaw, SC

#10 Jun 4, 2008
The Real Lori wrote:
"If I personally as a parent did that as a child (protective services)would come take the kid out of my house. If I could lose custody of my kid if that happened in my house why should a teacher be allowed to do that to a student? And they're gonna give her 10 days of leave and slap her on the hand?"
This woman is right. If there'd been an emergency, it could have been a tragedy. This teacher is there to teach. If the kid was disruptive, he ought to have been sent to the office, NOT restrained.
SHE SHOULD HAVE BEAT HIS ASS.........ED ANGEL
The Mole

White House, TN

#11 Jun 4, 2008
Believe it or not, there are intelligent teachers out there who know better ways to discipline children than this teacher did. Unfortunately more and more intelligent people stay away from the public school systems because of how easy it is to be victimized by a child's accusations. True this teacher has admitted that this happened, but quite often other students can just say "teacher did that" and suddenly an innocent person is put on administrative leave, charged with a crime, getting their face and name on television, and assumed guilty by students, parents and posters on websites like this one. By the time that's over, if the teacher is not disgusted or embarrassed enough to leave the profession, he or she is likely to be forced out by a school administration that is more concerned about PR than teacher quality. The ultimate result is lesser thinking teachers who are more likely to genuinely make bad decisions like duct taping a child to a chair get hired, and everyone complains that public education is a crock. Yet who let the lawyers, politicians, school administration bureaucrats, lousy parents, and media send it in that direction?
THATS RIGHT

Myrtle Beach, SC

#12 Jun 4, 2008
The Mole wrote:
Believe it or not, there are intelligent teachers out there who know better ways to discipline children than this teacher did. Unfortunately more and more intelligent people stay away from the public school systems because of how easy it is to be victimized by a child's accusations. True this teacher has admitted that this happened, but quite often other students can just say "teacher did that" and suddenly an innocent person is put on administrative leave, charged with a crime, getting their face and name on television, and assumed guilty by students, parents and posters on websites like this one. By the time that's over, if the teacher is not disgusted or embarrassed enough to leave the profession, he or she is likely to be forced out by a school administration that is more concerned about PR than teacher quality. The ultimate result is lesser thinking teachers who are more likely to genuinely make bad decisions like duct taping a child to a chair get hired, and everyone complains that public education is a crock. Yet who let the lawyers, politicians, school administration bureaucrats, lousy parents, and media send it in that direction?
THATS RIGHT! Gone are the days when we had good "stand up" teachers. There gone, because now it too easy for them to get dragged thru the mud because of someone's disrepectful child. And frankly, its not worth it. And then again it starts with home because they raise and allow the child to be disrepectful, then shows them that they have "rights" (basically, the right that they can do whatever they want and no one can do a thing to them.) And then they get sent to school to become someone elses headache. Thats just wrong!! I feel sorry for that teacher that he pushed to the limit.
Worried

Camden, SC

#13 Jun 4, 2008
I just read a story about an 8-year-old beating up a teacher in Florida and then I see this. What do you think the chances are that the teachers in both situations lose out? I bet the 8-year-old comes back to school as if nothing happened, and I'll bet the Oregon teacher is fired and will never teach again.

I'll bet nothing happens to either kid in either household.
Are you kidding me

Columbia, SC

#14 Jun 4, 2008
Dap wrote:
If your child
Well Said!!!! I agree 100%!!!
Dr Pepper

West Columbia, SC

#15 Jun 4, 2008
Jail the parents, promote the teacher and expel the snot nosed little brat.
PS: And SKROOOO the lawyers.
Tough Justice

United States

#16 Jun 4, 2008
Did I read this correctly? The kid was being put to bed and said, "by the way, mom I was duct taped to my seat today." This is the same kid that was so upset that he cried because he had to go back to that room. I say bull! Wake up mom, beat his a**, put him to bed, and take him back to school and demand that he say " I won't act up again. Then the parents tell the teacher that they are sorry that she had to punish their child for being disrespectful. But if you don't want to make you child follow the rules, keep you tail home and home school him.
Olive Oyl

Columbia, SC

#17 Jun 4, 2008
Tough Justice wrote:
Did I read this correctly? The kid was being put to bed and said, "by the way, mom I was duct taped to my seat today." This is the same kid that was so upset that he cried because he had to go back to that room. I say bull! Wake up mom, beat his a**, put him to bed, and take him back to school and demand that he say " I won't act up again. Then the parents tell the teacher that they are sorry that she had to punish their child for being disrespectful. But if you don't want to make you child follow the rules, keep you tail home and home school him.
I agree! Too many parents being enablers to their children. Instead of teaching their children how to behave AND show respect to adults, they allow the children to make decisions for themselves and have too many "freedoms".

My parents always told my sisters and me that we had no "rights" until we turned 18 (and we believed them), and if we did anything out of line, especially at school, we'd get our bottoms busted when we got home. They wouldn't allow us to get away with misbehaving or disrepecting adults(at school or elsewhere).

Teachers don't get paid enough to have to put up with other people's BAD children...
Woodshed Whuppin

Orangeburg, SC

#18 Jun 4, 2008
Sounds like the Parents AND the brat need a trip to the woodshed! What's going to happen when this kid reaches the "real world" and his boss fires is backside for being rude to customers? His Momma going to sue the boss and the company because her brat thinks rules don't apply to him?

In the words of Barney Fife: "Nip it! Nip it in the bud!"
MAL

Chattanooga, TN

#19 Jun 4, 2008
Sounds like he got off easy. When I was in school and this sort of thing happened were the student wasn't sitting still in class, the student was sent to the office for the punishment to be administered. Then if my parents found out I would be lucky to be able to even sit in a chair. Maybe they should just suspend him from school then the problem has been removed. But then the parent would complain that the suspension is to harsh. I give up!!!
Questioner

Irmo, SC

#20 Jun 4, 2008
My question is why are the parents not disciplining the child for disobeying the teacher. She must have been at her wits end to do this. You cannot expect teachers to do your parenting for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Night to Shine: A prom night for those with spe... 1 hr tony partlow 1
The church IN the Lord Jesus Christ-Hartsville (Jan '13) Jan 12 Lawest 56
Mentally il Linsey graham Jan 11 S _ c_ sucks 1
Marie Hicks Inabinett (Jun '17) Jan 10 The Neighbors 10
Lindsey graham should pay for his ass kissing t... Jan 10 Just saying 3
News Two Dead After 61 Accidents at Bike Fest (May '07) Jan 7 Used to be 64
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... (Aug '15) Jan 5 Gloria 117

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages