Riverwalk Attacks Highlight Misbeliefs, Inaction on Homeless

Aug 24, 2009 Full story: Free Times

Suzie Thomas says she is used to seeing the homeless on her weekly walks along the West Columbia riverwalk, and she thinks a man charged in a recent attack there fits the profile.

Full Story

Since: Jun 07

WEST Columbia SC

#1 Sep 20, 2009
Ignorance and ego displace common sense. The most atrocious crimes are usually commited by middle and upper classes.
Victim 1 in above article

Lexington, SC

#2 Sep 24, 2013
This article is a joke. I was informed immediately by the investigator in this case that Bobby Zito and Monica Collum had been living under the bridge on the river walk for approximately a year prior to my attack. THEY WERE HOMELESS...AND THERE IS ACTUALLY A HOMELESS CAMP WELL KNOWN BY POLICE DIRECTLY ON THE RIVER WALK. I WAS INFORMED OF THIS BY THE INVESTIGATOR. My attackers were strangers to me however the West Columbia police dept. knew immediately whom I was describing and yelled his name out over the radio during their search (several officer's at once I was told) as they knew him and his living arrangements well. I was the first victim described in this article.(THAT IS IF YOU DO NOT COUNT THE WOMAN IN CAYCE WHOM THIS SAME COUPLE TRIED TO RAPE 45 MINUTES BEFORE THEY ATTACKED ME AS I WAS MAKING MY WAY DOWN THE PATH TO THE RIVERWALK ...THIS OTHER VICTIM WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN ANY NEWS ARTICLE NOR REVEALED TO THE PRESS...HOWEVER, I WAS INFORMED BECAUSE CAYCE POLICE RACED TO THE SCENE OF MY ATTACK BELIEVING THE TWO ATTACKS WITHIN 45 MINUTES MIGHT BE RELATED. Bobby Eugene Zito (who is serving 25 years at Perry prison) and his accomplice Monica Frick Collum ( who got a slap on the WRIST ONLY because at the last minute her charge of "Accessory after the fact-fifteen year felony charge") was changed to "Obstruction of Justice" because "someone" who did not wish to charge her at all charged her with a misdemeanor only...(ODDLY SHE WAS ONLY CHARGED AFTER THE MEDIA GOT INVOLVED, AND SHE WAS CHARGED TWO HOURS BEFORE WIS TV-10 REPORTED THE CASE QUESTIONING WHAT SHE WAS DOING THERE...REPORTED THE CASE AFTER AN ANONYMOUS TIP TWO WEEKS AFTER IT OCCURRED) used information during that case that was found a few days before her trial to create a double-jeopardy which in turn caused the Solicitor to have to change her charge to Obstruction of Justice....she was sentenced to 10 years, 5 years served-then 5 years probation. She will be released in February 2014 after serving about half of her five year sentence. My life consists of breathing....fear...and loss after being beaten, and having things said and done that I will not describe. Another thing people should be aware of...the second attack on the River Walk -two months after I was attacked ...the offender was a previous sex offender... Well, I was informed by Cayce police that the woman who was attacked that day left the country. The attacker/rapist in that case was released from Orangeburg jail as there was no case with no victim available to hold trial for. DID the police let the Media or community know this man was set scott free to possibly find his next victim? It blows my mind that this article was printed as were so many others that stated details that were totally fictional, not in the police report, and simply NOT even close to what really happened...and that if the person who reported on this was actually told that Zito was not homeless...then they were LIED to. The Riverwalk is the areas TOURIST attraction. Money causes government to keep secrets and tell stories that are NOT complete...and little white lies are acceptable as long as the dollars are in the coffers. There is soooo much more I could say. But....there are so few who would stand up and take issue with the entities that put dollars before safety and truth........ Be careful. The safety provisions they advertise are in place at the river walk....even today....is not what they give. Believe me. I pray NO other person loses their entire being as I did on that day....and then reads the fiction that is released to the Media. Oh, and I advise you to check how many SEX OFFENDERS live within a mile or less of the riverwalk.... They visit the River walk quite often I am told.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) 8 hr michelle 28
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) 16 hr Justice 5,667
Jindal to help in South Carolina governor's race 20 hr Ace McMillan 1
Haley, McGill Ask Voters to Approve Adj. Gena . Wed Ace McMillan 7
"I'm Still Standing Here, I'm Still Alive" (May '08) Wed The big boss man 25
Review: DAN Evans Fencing Oct 25 Unhappy Customer 1
Tax reform, water, criminal records issues taki... Oct 24 capoleitalolee 2
Columbia Dating
Find my Match

Columbia People Search