Woman Begs for Oxygen, Dies on Airpla...

Woman Begs for Oxygen, Dies on Airplane Flight

There are 81 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Woman Begs for Oxygen, Dies on Airplane Flight. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Struggling to breathe, American Airlines passenger Carine Desir asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, the woman's cousin said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

wolf

Columbia, SC

#21 Feb 26, 2008
Once again, people don't want to find out the whole story before they jump to assign blame. The woman had "heart failure", which given her symptomology, I would guess is CHF. Meaning she was fluid-overloaded, and probably either not prescribed lasix, or taking it as needed. My grandmother is guilty of this, because she doesn't want to "have to pee every 5 minutes on a trip". The cousin's first request to the attendant was that she needed o2 because she "has diabetes", to which the attendant replied that they don't usually treat diabetes with o2, but she'd make a call. Checking back, the attended noticed the lady in distress, and got the o2, which was working properly. Problem is, if you're too fluid-overloaded, it's not going to help much - you need the fluid off of you. Then there's the defibrillator, which the cousin referred to as a "box". This shows that he does not know how they work. If a defibrillator detects an ABNORMAL heart rythm, it delivers a shock to correct the rythm. On this woman, there was NO ABNORMAL RYTHM. Her heart signal was so weak from heart failure, that the machine could not register it. Therefore, it did not shock her. Shocking her would have done nothing - the rythm was stable, just weak.
Robyn

United States

#22 Feb 26, 2008
Beauty in many Shades wrote:
<quoted text>
so if you go to use a restroom and its "Out of Order" and you go on yourself. are you going to sue the gas station???... Whose to say that the oxygen would have saved her life??? People are so money hungry these days..sheesh get a job...
Peeing in a bathroom and dying on a plane two way different scenarios....if you are going to compare something...give me at least something relavent or worthy of reading. I hope the worst thing that every happens to you in life is that you pee on yourself...verus suffocating because you have no oxygen and die. Put yourself in her place...she couldn't breath, she knew she had no help, she was suffering...imagine what kind of death that would be like. Peeing on yourself doesn't compare.
so what

West Columbia, SC

#23 Feb 26, 2008
wolf wrote:
Once again, people don't want to find out the whole story before they jump to assign blame. The woman had "heart failure", which given her symptomology, I would guess is CHF. Meaning she was fluid-overloaded, and probably either not prescribed lasix, or taking it as needed. My grandmother is guilty of this, because she doesn't want to "have to pee every 5 minutes on a trip". The cousin's first request to the attendant was that she needed o2 because she "has diabetes", to which the attendant replied that they don't usually treat diabetes with o2, but she'd make a call. Checking back, the attended noticed the lady in distress, and got the o2, which was working properly. Problem is, if you're too fluid-overloaded, it's not going to help much - you need the fluid off of you. Then there's the defibrillator, which the cousin referred to as a "box". This shows that he does not know how they work. If a defibrillator detects an ABNORMAL heart rythm, it delivers a shock to correct the rythm. On this woman, there was NO ABNORMAL RYTHM. Her heart signal was so weak from heart failure, that the machine could not register it. Therefore, it did not shock her. Shocking her would have done nothing - the rythm was stable, just weak.
Her cousin wasn't responsible for knowing how to use it.Half of America is obese, and if they stop flying the airlines would have to shut down.

“Soft Touch Hard Cover”

Since: Dec 07

Jersey

#24 Feb 26, 2008
Beauty in many Shades wrote:
<quoted text>
so if you go to use a restroom and its "Out of Order" and you go on yourself. are you going to sue the gas station???... Whose to say that the oxygen would have saved her life??? People are so money hungry these days..sheesh get a job...
Are you serious?

Pissing on yourself does not cause death and you can also squat somewhere or get a bucket.

Oxygen is necessary to live. SHEESH go back to school.
ummm

West Columbia, SC

#25 Feb 26, 2008
I think most people are not jumping to a conclusion. They are just going by what is reported in the news. Now, the reporters should have gotten the whole story before making an erroneous report. And thos of you who are so touchy have my permission to check my spelling.
metro will

Columbia, SC

#26 Feb 26, 2008
i don't know much about airlines, but i am sure that in light of all that has happened over the years that flight attendants should have some first aide training. ok there was a doctor or two on board fine and well but he was a passenger too.now for the airlines. once again i say i don't know much but if your carrying life saving equipment on board someone should be responsible for inspecting it. they look at tires, or better yet cabin pressures. now how hard was it to check the amount of air in these tanks or if the defibulator was working. so i agree the airline should be sued for not providing a safe envirnoment for their passengers. or maybe it's the usual. or is it a haiti thing?????
metro will

Columbia, SC

#27 Feb 26, 2008
so what wrote:
<quoted text>
Her cousin wasn't responsible for knowing how to use it.Half of America is obese, and if they stop flying the airlines would have to shut down.
you made some good points but still it's the airlines job to keep people safe in the air.
wolf

Columbia, SC

#28 Feb 26, 2008
so what wrote:
<quoted text>
And the airlines aren't resposible for him being ignorant. Point is, that particular medical condition cannot be treated in an airplane!
wolf

Columbia, SC

#29 Feb 26, 2008
JerseyPrincess wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious?
Pissing on yourself does not cause death and you can also squat somewhere or get a bucket.
Oxygen is necessary to live. SHEESH go back to school.
Again, heart failure can't be treated in flight. O2 alone won't save you. Defibrillators can't fix a heart that's working, but working weakly. The reason she couldn't breathe, the reason O2 didn't help, is that in heart failure, you're so fluid-overloaded that your heart can't pump effectively.
wolf

Columbia, SC

#30 Feb 26, 2008
metro will wrote:
i don't know much about airlines, but i am sure that in light of all that has happened over the years that flight attendants should have some first aide training. ok there was a doctor or two on board fine and well but he was a passenger too.now for the airlines. once again i say i don't know much but if your carrying life saving equipment on board someone should be responsible for inspecting it. they look at tires, or better yet cabin pressures. now how hard was it to check the amount of air in these tanks or if the defibulator was working. so i agree the airline should be sued for not providing a safe envirnoment for their passengers. or maybe it's the usual. or is it a haiti thing?????
You don't know much about reading, either. The equipment was inspected, was in working order, just not effective in this particular situation. Nothing but fast hospitilization and lasix to decrease the fluid would have helped.
poc

United States

#31 Feb 26, 2008
underhay wrote:
<quoted text>
of course, if one reads the entire story, the oxygen tanks AND the defibrillator were inspected pre-flight and working properly. everyone is basing their judgment on the rantings of the distraught cousin of the dead woman.
Would you not be "ranting" and "distraught" if this was your relative? I believe I would. Of course the airlines say they were inspected and working properly...they know they are in the wrong. Besides, why did she have to "beg" for oxygen. Why did it take her asking more than once before they tried to help her? The truth will come out. I'm quite sure there are witnesses to corroborate their story. Airlines, hospitals, insurance companies, big businesses etc. will all FABRICATE/COVER UP to save a buck...Doesn't matter to them who dies.
ummm

West Columbia, SC

#32 Feb 26, 2008
sad but true wrote:
I SMELL LAWSUIT!!!
I think that is exactly and what should be cooking in the kit- oops, courthouse.

“I hate Fish...”

Since: Aug 07

Columbia, SC

#33 Feb 26, 2008
poc wrote:
<quoted text>Would you not be "ranting" and "distraught" if this was your relative? I believe I would. Of course the airlines say they were inspected and working properly...they know they are in the wrong. Besides, why did she have to "beg" for oxygen. Why did it take her asking more than once before they tried to help her? The truth will come out. I'm quite sure there are witnesses to corroborate their story. Airlines, hospitals, insurance companies, big businesses etc. will all FABRICATE/COVER UP to save a buck...Doesn't matter to them who dies.
You are right that business' will fabricate things, but that is also true about people. There is no way to know at this time who is at fault. The only witnesses we have are extremely biased (the airline and the cousin)
ummm

West Columbia, SC

#34 Feb 26, 2008
wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
And the airlines aren't resposible for him being ignorant. Point is, that particular medical condition cannot be treated in an airplane!
Whether it can be fix or not, why blame him for being ignorant. Most people who are living and some who have died have been ignorant of something. Somebody must have asked him what happen, and he shared what he observed. His opinion is his opinion. Most people in this post would kill him for having one. The legal system will determine the facts from opinions. May the LORD bless the person who thinks he/she knows everything about everything.
Thats my opinion, however, I wouldn't tear anybody apart because his/her opinion does not line up with what I think or feel.
underhay

Lugoff, SC

#35 Feb 26, 2008
poc wrote:
<quoted text>Would you not be "ranting" and "distraught" if this was your relative? I believe I would. Of course the airlines say they were inspected and working properly...they know they are in the wrong. Besides, why did she have to "beg" for oxygen. Why did it take her asking more than once before they tried to help her? The truth will come out. I'm quite sure there are witnesses to corroborate their story. Airlines, hospitals, insurance companies, big businesses etc. will all FABRICATE/COVER UP to save a buck...Doesn't matter to them who dies.
i only hope you aren't depending on WLTX as the only source for news reporting. go read up on this story on some other news websites, CNN, MSNBC, many others. then, using your words, the "truth will come out"
Dr Pepper

Irmo, SC

#36 Feb 26, 2008
SCC wrote:
i feel that the flight attendant should be punished because she shouldve helped the lady the first time.
flight attendants are not nurses, dumbazzz

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#37 Feb 26, 2008
poc wrote:
The best part is that it isn't my family member and as such, I can take a step back and objectively look at it.

She had to "beg" for oxygen because she told them she needed it for her diabetes (which O2 is not used in treating diabetes). The airlines have a protocol to follow to ensure they do the right thing, and when the flight attendant saw that she was in distress with her breathing, they gave her oxygen...

The doctor who you conveniently place into a conspiracy, has to answer for his actions (especially in this stupid litigious society) so there is no incentive for him to "cover anything up" because investigations will find things out. The medical examiner even corroborated the heart failure (weak, but stable sinus rhythym) TRUTH... No incentive for the medical examiner to conspire with the airlines.

All flimsy...

The truth is, you have a woman who knew enough about her medical condition to not know how to ask for the right help traveling with a cousin who did not know how to help her either... The cousin should sue himself for letting his cousin die... She and that cousin were negligent in her death... not the airline, passengers, or doctors that tried to help... and then to sensationalize the story... The media should be ashamed for exploiting the cousin's grief...

Tacky, tacky, tacky...
underhay

Lugoff, SC

#38 Feb 26, 2008
heck, let's prosecute the cousin of the victim! why didn't HE save the woman's life? after all, he obviously knew more about her condition than the flight attendants!

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#39 Feb 26, 2008
ummm wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether it can be fix or not, why blame him for being ignorant. Most people who are living and some who have died have been ignorant of something. Somebody must have asked him what happen, and he shared what he observed. His opinion is his opinion. Most people in this post would kill him for having one. The legal system will determine the facts from opinions. May the LORD bless the person who thinks he/she knows everything about everything.
Thats my opinion, however, I wouldn't tear anybody apart because his/her opinion does not line up with what I think or feel.
Why blame him for being ignorant? Not really "blamming" him when it is true... but to humor you, he went to the media with his opinion and allowed the media to exploit his opinion and present it as fact... he allowed them to sensationalize the tragedy of the story.
That's pretty ignorant, even in grief... and on top of that, if you asked him today, a few days after the tragedy, so he could collect his thoughts... he'd probably stand behind the faulty reporting...
poc

United States

#42 Feb 26, 2008
Lessa wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right that business' will fabricate things, but that is also true about people. There is no way to know at this time who is at fault. The only witnesses we have are extremely biased (the airline and the cousin)
I have to agree. They both have their own "side of the story". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If WLTX actually gives us proper follow-up and an ending to this story, one way or the other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill and Chelsea campaigning for Hillary in SC ... 2 hr Bill Clintons B l... 2
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) 20 hr LAWEST100 1,018
Poll Susan J Inabinett Thu People Search 1
News Severe weather threatens tornadoes, floods alon... Feb 4 Gena 1
News Arrest made in Columbia man's July 2015 murder Feb 4 Gena 1
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... Feb 4 Trish Cabreira 40
News Man Accused of Striking Deputy with Car While M... (Mar '07) Feb 3 Hate cops 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages