Woman Begs for Oxygen, Dies on Airplane Flight

Full story: WLTX Columbia

Struggling to breathe, American Airlines passenger Carine Desir asked for oxygen, but a flight attendant twice refused her request, the woman's cousin said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of81
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
irmite

Conway, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Can there be criminal charges brought against this flight attendant? How pathetic on her part.
underhay

Chapin, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

irmite wrote:
Can there be criminal charges brought against this flight attendant? How pathetic on her part.
let's wait for the whole story, before we go pressing criminal charges. the only account we have so far is from the dead woman's cousin (a box?) who might be a bit emotional.

“Protect our natural resources”

Since: Jul 07

Napa Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Bet cha all the airlines are now checking their oxygen tanks, ect. Shame someone had to pass first.
Fuzz

Leesville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

This is pathetic....The whole dang airline should pay..The flight attendant should be charged be charged for involuntary manslaughter...
Unknown

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Obese woman with known heart disease on an airplane probably not a great idea to start with. What do you expect an airline attendant to do? I suspect traveling abroad was not the option for this woman. I am sure it puts stress on the body, and hers was already stressed with weight problem and heart disease. Your body can only take so much. I agree, wait for the full story. You certainly can't blame an airline attendant for possibly a lifetime of bad medical history and maybe health negligence on the part of the customer.
GCinSC

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

The airlines are not a hospital nor are they medical professionals. You people are idiots who put them at fault.

“I hate Fish...”

Since: Aug 07

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Unknown wrote:
Obese woman with known heart disease on an airplane probably not a great idea to start with. What do you expect an airline attendant to do? I suspect traveling abroad was not the option for this woman. I am sure it puts stress on the body, and hers was already stressed with weight problem and heart disease. Your body can only take so much. I agree, wait for the full story. You certainly can't blame an airline attendant for possibly a lifetime of bad medical history and maybe health negligence on the part of the customer.
I agree with you, this story only has the viewpoint of the cousin and no one else. It's a bit early to say it is the airline's flight.

“NO MERCY”

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Fuzz wrote:
This is pathetic....The whole dang airline should pay..The flight attendant should be charged be charged for involuntary manslaughter...
NO IN FLIGHT PEANUTZ FOR YOU

“NO MERCY”

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Unknown wrote:
YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOUR TIME IS UP. DROP ANOTHER QUARTER IN THE JUKEBOX
SCC

Ridgeland, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

i feel that the flight attendant should be punished because she shouldve helped the lady the first time.
Teresa from Camden

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

The are DHEC and OSHA regulations everywhere these days but it seems as though Airplanes don't count! For Gods sake people these folks are on some of these flights for a lot of hours and as big as those planes are there should be a well equiped nurses station aboard. Now I know why I am afraid to fly.
WHAT THE

West Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Unknown wrote:
Surely she can be blame for not giving the woman the obvious, most needed oxygen. It was asked for. She most certainly can be blame. However, it will be left up to a judge to make that decision. Her cousin will not be the only one to testify.
Why do they have oxygen tanks on airplanes if they are not for humans who need them, or are they for the animals who can't ask for them? I am just wondering!!!!!
WHAT THE

West Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

canteyhilllady wrote:
Bet cha all the airlines are now checking their oxygen tanks, ect. Shame someone had to pass first.
That's exactly what they should be doing!!!!!!
Robyn

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Unknown wrote:
It doesn't matter what condition the woman was in it is the responsibility of the airlines to have their medical equipment properly working. I agree with a lawsuit against the airlines for having faulty equipment. For example a peron's brakes aren't properly working, the driver failed to get them checked. They then cause an accident with an elderly driver because the brakes failed. The innocent elderly woman dies in the accident so is it her fault she was elderly. No it would be the driver's fault for not having the brakes fixed and properly working. Just a random example...think of it as you will.
sad but true

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I SMELL LAWSUIT!!!
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Just because someone requests oxygen,do you give it to them. Someone with COPD,oxygen may just shut their respiratory drive off.
poc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

GCinSC wrote:
The airlines are not a hospital nor are they medical professionals. You people are idiots who put them at fault.
They are certainly NOT medical professionals but the planes should be equipped properly in case of an emergency such as this. Empty oxygen tanks? Faulty defibs? Come on. How often is this equipment inspected? Obviously on this airline, not often enough. They are supposed to be able to get someone "stable enough" to get to the medical professionals. Empty oxygen tanks and faulty defibs aren't gonna' get that done! I fault them for that completely.
Beauty in many Shades

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Robyn wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter what condition the woman was in it is the responsibility of the airlines to have their medical equipment properly working. I agree with a lawsuit against the airlines for having faulty equipment. For example a peron's brakes aren't properly working, the driver failed to get them checked. They then cause an accident with an elderly driver because the brakes failed. The innocent elderly woman dies in the accident so is it her fault she was elderly. No it would be the driver's fault for not having the brakes fixed and properly working. Just a random example...think of it as you will.
so if you go to use a restroom and its "Out of Order" and you go on yourself. are you going to sue the gas station???... Whose to say that the oxygen would have saved her life??? People are so money hungry these days..sheesh get a job...
underhay

Chapin, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

poc wrote:
<quoted text>They are certainly NOT medical professionals but the planes should be equipped properly in case of an emergency such as this. Empty oxygen tanks? Faulty defibs? Come on. How often is this equipment inspected? Obviously on this airline, not often enough. They are supposed to be able to get someone "stable enough" to get to the medical professionals. Empty oxygen tanks and faulty defibs aren't gonna' get that done! I fault them for that completely.
of course, if one reads the entire story, the oxygen tanks AND the defibrillator were inspected pre-flight and working properly. everyone is basing their judgment on the rantings of the distraught cousin of the dead woman.
Dawn

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

it sounds to me like the cousin is totally embelishing this story. If she was thirsty after eating, it was more than likely due to having high blood sugar,and no amount of oxygen would have helped that. The woman was obese and had diabetes and probably heart disease as well. You can't blame everything on negligence until the whole story is told. Perhaps the woman just didn't take care of herself, obviously if she was obese, and maybe years of neglect lead to her demise. The story from cnn.com sounds to me like the cousin is doing some exaggerating: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/25/flight.death...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of81
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Columbia Forum right now

Search the Columbia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) 1 hr Bonnie Wheeler 1,120
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) 18 hr Justice 5,656
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) 18 hr lovekute 60
Interracial Dating Fri Lucy 2
four kbr contractors brutally murder (Oct '08) Fri Ron Wilson 47
Giving help, getting help in the Midlands, June 4 (Jun '13) Jul 10 thanks 3
Minister Facing Charges Involving Teens (Feb '08) Jul 8 Not surprised 14
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••