Woman Donates Blood Plasma for Gas Money

Woman Donates Blood Plasma for Gas Money

There are 75 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from May 20, 2008, titled Woman Donates Blood Plasma for Gas Money. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Just another sign of the times: now, people are resorting to selling their blood plasma to get gas money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

#1 May 20, 2008
Well that's not new. My husband had to do that too a few months back. I wouldn't cause I am petrafied of needles.
Susan

Duluth, GA

#2 May 20, 2008
We all are trying to make ends meet, we never know what this economy my lead us to do, we are in survival mode!

“Who P@@ed in Your Conflakes?”

Since: May 08

Cornholio Iowa

#3 May 20, 2008
80$ a week... THAT might be enough to fill up the old family van once. Gas'll be $5.00 a gallon before the summer's over.

She should have bought a hybrid.

“Raising a stink”

Since: Jun 07

North Myrtle Beach, SC

#4 May 20, 2008
It's sad that working people have to resort to this to make ends meet and the ones who don't hit a lick are sitting at home getting a free ride at their expense.
Loan Me A Dollar

Lexington, SC

#5 May 20, 2008
I used to do that 15 years ago for extra beer money on the weekends. But if the price keeps going up I may have to start back to buy gas to go and get my beer now.
Tracie O

Saint Louis, MO

#6 May 20, 2008
I'm sure there are a lot of people around here that have BEEN doing that.

“Lets take America Back!”

Since: Apr 07

America, U,S,A.

#7 May 20, 2008
In my early 20's i sold my plasma for beer money.....
Dupree

Decatur, GA

#8 May 20, 2008
I knew Tampax was out for blood, but now so is EXXON.....

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 May 20, 2008
Heck, I have sold blood plasma in my younger days to buy food, gas, diapers, all that. I am out of school and well off now, but I can see why people do it. I have been there, and honestly, I sympathize.

But, at least you are doing something good for other people, it is legal, and no one gets hurt.

I wonder how long before the government catches on and starts taxing us for selling our own blood! Before you know it, they'll be taxing us for the air we breathe, even the blood *already* in our veins as potential income!
OMY

Columbia, SC

#10 May 20, 2008
$160 for gas a month, that's almost the car payment or for some used ones it is the car payment. Min. wage jobs are going to be given up and we will support them too. Who would work for min. wage just to put it in there tank to get to work!!!!
Achoo

Irmo, SC

#11 May 20, 2008
Maybe a few less lattes and less hair bleaching would help you.

Since: May 08

Columbia, SC

#12 May 20, 2008
my fiance' has been doing this for a couple of months now. 3 weeks after we bought our first house, he got hurt at work(not his fault & workmans comp is BS) and now they (his company) has suspended him pending termination. He can't get unemployement or else it will cancel his case. We have a lawyer, but until the company fires him or they settle, there is nothing that we can do.I have a full time job but 1 paycheck just isn't enough.So he has resorted to donating plasma 3 x a week. Any suggestions??
Curious

Irmo, SC

#13 May 20, 2008
Did no one notice that she is using her bicycle now? What does she need the $80 for gas a week for. I bet there is plenty of little goodies she could get away without.
bobby bill

Myrtle Beach, SC

#14 May 20, 2008
Does anyone know when the government is going to start issueing gas vouchers to the poor? I can't make it anymore living off SSI, foodstamps, Medicaid, and a housing voucher. It cost me 14 bucks to fill up my Harley this weekend for the ride to the beach. THE POOR DEMAND GAS VOUCHERS FROM THE GOVERNMENT NOW.. WE DESERVE IT WE ARE AMERICANS.
BUG

Society Hill, SC

#15 May 20, 2008
bobby bill wrote:
Does anyone know when the government is going to start issueing gas vouchers to the poor? I can't make it anymore living off SSI, foodstamps, Medicaid, and a housing voucher. It cost me 14 bucks to fill up my Harley this weekend for the ride to the beach. THE POOR DEMAND GAS VOUCHERS FROM THE GOVERNMENT NOW.. WE DESERVE IT WE ARE AMERICANS.
screw the poor... its the middle class that needs help... the poor already mooch enough!!!
Tough Justice

Decatur, GA

#16 May 20, 2008
I knew the oil companies would one day go for blood. Yall hear about Exxon, they may be in a hurt or so they say. They only profited over 16 billion last quarter..
Inspector_22

Columbia, SC

#17 May 20, 2008
What are they paying in Columbia, SC?$40.00 a bag? We need to push the bid to $129.00!
Ms V

United States

#18 May 20, 2008
I know a lot of people who are donating plasma 2x's a week to use for gas.
The guy is running Lose

United States

#19 May 20, 2008
No one would get an infusion of blood even if they were dying if they knew what type of folks it was coming from.

Some one got lucky that she donated.

Maybe gas prices should go higher to attarct clean and sober non diseased devients for donating.
The guy is running Lose

United States

#20 May 20, 2008
To all asking for advice on what to do because they are having to donate blood to pay their bills b/c of the gas prices.

MAY I ASK, WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH INTERNET AND A COMPUTER IF YOU ARE SO DAM POOR?

ADVICE, GET RID OF INTERNET IDIOTS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
traffic Sun Toomuchtraffic 1
News What Is It With SC Sheriffs? (Jul '12) Jun 23 Anonymous 4
News Accident Slows Traffic on Garners Ferry Road (Mar '08) Jun 22 Tammy 22
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Jun 17 Alonzo 1,400
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... (Aug '15) Jun 16 Sallie Mae Lewis 54
parental rights in jeopardy....join the fight t... (Mar '12) Jun 16 Tweetyone 16
News S.C. governor's wife: Husband 'obsessed' with m... (Aug '09) Jun 8 Paulson jr 37
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages