Feds to Help Low-Income Families Pay Power Bills

Full story: WLTX Columbia

Federal health officials say they'll give $3.6 million to South Carolina to help low-income families pay power bills that were sent skyrocketing by record-breaking heat in August.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of121
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
kocha l eaddy

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Sep 5, 2007
 
I am writing because i need help paying my light bill by 9/10/07 i am with progress energy i owe a bill of 305.68 i just lost my job because of transportaion reason. i have 3yr son who is going to head start. 1yr od little girl and now i m pregnant with my third child please help me kocha eaddy
po box 552
108 graham st
scranton sc 29591 (
kocha l eaddy

Florence, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Sep 5, 2007
 
im not from liberty sc
Duh

Chapin, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Sep 7, 2007
 
kocha l eaddy wrote:
I am writing because i need help paying my light bill by 9/10/07 i am with progress energy i owe a bill of 305.68 i just lost my job because of transportaion reason. i have 3yr son who is going to head start. 1yr od little girl and now i m pregnant with my third child please help me kocha eaddy
po box 552
108 graham st
scranton sc 29591 (
Contact DSS and Planned Parenthood.Maybe Epworth Children's home Thornewell or
Carolina Childrens Home
UWho

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Sep 7, 2007
 
Why should this be limited to one State? A bunch of others were in the same heat.
However, I do think people take advantage of Welfare programs and it should be there only as a temporary relief if one needs it.
canteyhilllady

Cochran, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Sep 7, 2007
 
Dorothy and Toto wrote:
I agree there are people out there that take advantage of these types of programs. However, these programs were started to help those that really need it. The elderly that HAVE "served" their time working, but now live on a fixed income. Or perhaps those that were born disabled, or became disabled because some moron hit them while driving drunk, the legitimate list is endless.
Yes, these people on fixed low incomes can use help. The young and strong, can work and support theirselves. Its not always easy. Welfare used to be adisgrace years ago. So was not being married and with children.
msharris

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Sep 18, 2007
 
im a 25 years old and i have two children i lost my job my landlord want fix my water so its making my sewage bill 123.00 more are less a month it now stands at 289.00 and i'm in danger of being cut off please help me ms.harris
Shannon

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Oct 3, 2007
 
Well..I believed most here in SC were as dumb as rocks before because you all think your right..and most of your opinions are full of hot air..But wow. Almost everyone here IS as dumb as rocks. You all are nothing like God. You all have no compassion, your not humble and because of what you have said about people who really do need assistance, what has befallen them as hard times in life will befall YOU until you change and get rid of your pride, your selfishness and every single other bad, dispicable thing about you. Its amazing what comes out of some of your mouths. Be humbled. Your words will be the death of you. Speak with some wisdom for once which almost none of you have..and while your at it, Get a life and help save a life..Which I am sure almost none of you have ever done. Your the ones who shouldn't be allowed to breed. You won't one day. None of you are prepared for God coming. If you all shut your mouth for once the world wouldn't be such a horrible place to live. Whatever wrong and lies you speak against others..Which you ARE, you will get right back into your life. Think about that before you open your mouth

Since: Sep 07

Easley, South Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Oct 3, 2007
 
Shannon wrote:
Well..I believed most here in SC were as dumb as rocks before because you all think your right..and most of your opinions are full of hot air..But wow. Almost everyone here IS as dumb as rocks. You all are nothing like God. You all have no compassion, your not humble and because of what you have said about people who really do need assistance, what has befallen them as hard times in life will befall YOU until you change and get rid of your pride, your selfishness and every single other bad, dispicable thing about you. Its amazing what comes out of some of your mouths. Be humbled. Your words will be the death of you. Speak with some wisdom for once which almost none of you have..and while your at it, Get a life and help save a life..Which I am sure almost none of you have ever done. Your the ones who shouldn't be allowed to breed. You won't one day. None of you are prepared for God coming. If you all shut your mouth for once the world wouldn't be such a horrible place to live. Whatever wrong and lies you speak against others..Which you ARE, you will get right back into your life. Think about that before you open your mouth
Wow, I think you said exactly what I wanted to say. It is truly pathetic that people can be so cruel.

Since: Oct 07

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Oct 3, 2007
 
Is it really cruelty that you are finding in these people or are you just finding ignorance? I have to be honest that i've made some poor comments about things i didn't understand and i wasn't trying to be cruel, i was literally just ignorant. These people who are posting comments on here are fortunate enough to never have had to really scrape to survive and that is obvious by what they are saying. I don't mean that they had to cancel cable in order to help pay for a car repair. I'm talking about really scraping to get by, you know, not paying the electric bill because you need to be able to afford a few packages of ramen noodles, or trying to decide between going to the doctor for the "cold" that you've had for the past 3 weeks that is steadily getting worse or getting gas for their car to make sure their kid gets to school. I just think that if they were ever in a position where they needed the help they would be truly thankful that it is there and then they wouldn't be complaining about it.

Since: Sep 07

Easley, South Carolina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Oct 3, 2007
 
Well, yes it is IGNORANCE. What some people fail to realize or even CARE to realize is that there are people out there who have lost their jobs or have become disabled and here's another good one: Lets say a man leaves his wife and kids when he was the "bread winner" of the family and she is doing her best to try to make ends meet. Name one person in this world who has never need help of some kind. What about the people out there who are terminally ill? Covered in medical bills. Mortgage, medical bills, car, utilites, food, what to do?? Lets see...I can ask for help or accept the help that is out there or lets see, I will lose my home..oh well, no utility bills then. I can go without food, no energy to get up and look for a job or go to my existing one. I can sell my car, no way to get to work. Noone knows at all what their future will bring and to judge others when they are in need of assistance is truly PATHETIC.
LED

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Oct 3, 2007
 
No, the "Feds" aren't paying for their power bills. Taxpayers (we) are.

If I walk up to you in Finley Park, put a gun in your face, take your money, and then give it to a "poor" person, am I a hero or a thief?

How is the forcible redistribution of wealth (tax dollars) any different?

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Since: May 07

Irmo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Oct 3, 2007
 
firecopswife wrote:
when are the hand outs gonna stop?
How come I never seem to qualify for any handouts? Because I work and find a way to pay my bills I almost feel like I am being penalized for being able to stand on my own two feet.
It sure can feel that way sometimes. I have found that as an adult, every danged handout the government gives out, I always miss the boat. With a lot of hard work and some luck, I'll just have to be grateful that I don't have to depend upon them for anything. There are no doubt some elderly or disabled people out there who can us the help. At least the money isn't going to some foreign country, whose corrupt leader throws it into his personal bank account.
biker

Quantico, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Oct 3, 2007
 
MARGARET JUSTICE wrote:
TO ALL OF YOU THAT ARE GRIPPING SO LOUDLY! I WORKED ALL MY LIFE. NOW, AT THE AGE OF 63, AND IN BAD HEALTH, I TOO AM ON A FIXED INCOME! UNLESS I SELL THIS HOME THAT I HAVE WORKED TO PAY FOR ALL MY LIFE, I CAN'T GET ASSISTANCE FOR ANY THING! I TRIED TO APPLY ONE TIME. OH THE GRIEVANCES THEY PUT YOU THROUGH! BUT I AM STILL HERE AND STILL IN MY OWN PLACE. THANK GOD!
Just another example of people living above their means and not saving for the future. You expect the government to keep you living at the same level as when you were working. Sell your house big house and buy a smaller one and stop your gripping. Whaqt do you need a 3000 sf house for now?
biker

Quantico, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Oct 3, 2007
 
UWho wrote:
Why should this be limited to one State? A bunch of others were in the same heat.
However, I do think people take advantage of Welfare programs and it should be there only as a temporary relief if one needs it.
read the story and the link to the help site for the electric bills and you will see that it is for all the states but right now it is being used in the 12 states that have had higher temps in August.
biker

Quantico, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Oct 3, 2007
 
sela wrote:
Well, yes it is IGNORANCE. What some people fail to realize or even CARE to realize is that there are people out there who have lost their jobs or have become disabled and here's another good one: Lets say a man leaves his wife and kids when he was the "bread winner" of the family and she is doing her best to try to make ends meet. Name one person in this world who has never need help of some kind. What about the people out there who are terminally ill? Covered in medical bills. Mortgage, medical bills, car, utilites, food, what to do?? Lets see...I can ask for help or accept the help that is out there or lets see, I will lose my home..oh well, no utility bills then. I can go without food, no energy to get up and look for a job or go to my existing one. I can sell my car, no way to get to work. Noone knows at all what their future will bring and to judge others when they are in need of assistance is truly PATHETIC.
Go cry a river. I know a white girl who couldn't walk for 3 years and was denied all assistance except for 76 dollars a month for food. She had to sell her house and land and move in with friends just to survive. She did what she had to to survive. I bet if she was black she would have received more help. Yes I said it, I will garuantee you that 80% of those receiving these benefits will be Other than white.
jbrown

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Oct 4, 2007
 
biker wrote:
<quoted text>
Go cry a river. I know a white girl who couldn't walk for 3 years and was denied all assistance except for 76 dollars a month for food. She had to sell her house and land and move in with friends just to survive. She did what she had to to survive. I bet if she was black she would have received more help. Yes I said it, I will garuantee you that 80% of those receiving these benefits will be Other than white.
I'll get called rasict also. The main agency that hands out this money in Kershaw, Lee, Sumter, and Claredon County give 95.6% of these funds to Blacks. Info came from thier computer's server. Black population of these four counties is 45%. They do discrimanate again Whites but, no one will investigate or appear to care.
Big Bad John 47

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Oct 4, 2007
 
Dorothy and Toto wrote:
I agree there are people out there that take advantage of these types of programs. However, these programs were started to help those that really need it. The elderly that HAVE "served" their time working, but now live on a fixed income. Or perhaps those that were born disabled, or became disabled because some moron hit them while driving drunk, the legitimate list is endless.
For those of you that appear to be "p!$$ed" off because of this program, need to get a life, and stop being so angry. There really are people out there that need this assistance, and it's not so they can spend the money elsewhere. It's so they can live, period.
Dorothy, with your positive influence, even "Toto" would make more sense than these nay sayers in this forum. Some of these clowns just go from forum to forum injecting their limited racist views. Thanks for the post.

Since: Oct 07

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Oct 4, 2007
 
Jose wrote:
seriously. whats with all the handouts. i know they realize that this doesn't help. it just gives them extra money to spend on crap they dont need. its that old saying about teaching you how to fish rather than just giving it to you. these people keep popping out kids and dont do anything to better themselves. very rarely are these people really in need this bad. they have to get their priorities straight.
but, thats what we have the government and lawyers for right?
I gotz to getz mine!
How in the world do you know anyone's situation? to judge???
Big Bad John 47

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Oct 4, 2007
 
LED wrote:
No, the "Feds" aren't paying for their power bills. Taxpayers (we) are.
If I walk up to you in Finley Park, put a gun in your face, take your money, and then give it to a "poor" person, am I a hero or a thief?
How is the forcible redistribution of wealth (tax dollars) any different?
To you and others like you in this forum: This IS America and you chose to live here. As soon as you and others like you finish your "fingernails raking across a chalkboard" type whining, your problem is still with y'all. Get up from off of your pc and be proactive. I don't mean for you to go to Finlay Park with a gun to rob someone to make your point. It does not matter what you do after that, you will go to jail. Punishment for that crime happens in this country too.

Since: Oct 07

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Oct 4, 2007
 
Dorothy and Toto wrote:
I agree there are people out there that take advantage of these types of programs. However, these programs were started to help those that really need it. The elderly that HAVE "served" their time working, but now live on a fixed income. Or perhaps those that were born disabled, or became disabled because some moron hit them while driving drunk, the legitimate list is endless.
For those of you that appear to be "p!$$ed" off because of this program, need to get a life, and stop being so angry. There really are people out there that need this assistance, and it's not so they can spend the money elsewhere. It's so they can live, period.
Very well said!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of121
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Columbia Forum right now

Search the Columbia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) 3 hr Justice 5,642
Rebuilding Hope for Diabetic Neuropathy Sufferers (Mar '07) 3 hr Sopranokds 13
Review: Anytime Fitness (Apr '09) 13 hr Brenda 126
Why I Should Move to South Carolina? (Sep '11) Tue OTTO 28
SC Sen. Hutto to Run for Graham's US Senate Seat Apr 14 The Gander 2
Lindsey Graham is Bisexual Apr 14 The Gander 2
Brother & Sister Have 4 Kids:Want Incest Legalized (Dec '07) Apr 14 The Gander 54
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••