Deadbeat Parents Owe $6.1 Million Dol...

Deadbeat Parents Owe $6.1 Million Dollars in Back Child Support

There are 173 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Feb 28, 2007, titled Deadbeat Parents Owe $6.1 Million Dollars in Back Child Support. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

But that number is just a small part of the $6.1 million dollar total of unpaid child support in the county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

Dakota

United States

#157 Jun 3, 2007
What good does it do for a parent to call child support to put the non custodial parent in jail. How do you collect if they are in jail. Why would you want your child to know or see there parent behind bars? They constantly take driver's license how much more ridiclous can the system get. Call child support on the non custodial parent makes them have to hire an attorney to collect LOL how ridiculous the money then goes to the attorney!! Personally if you can't take care of your child. Stop whinning and give the child to non custodial parent.As they say if you can't take the heat get the hell out of the kitchen. Just please stop whinning and pointing fingers we are not children!
deadbeats

Deerfield, IL

#158 Oct 18, 2007
The problem is we have to have laws because of dead beats who if not made to follow rules will bend and break them any chance they get. Don't blame the courts, they are the ones working to try and make everyone happy. They have a bitchy mom over here and a deadbeat dad over here. What are they supposed to do? The point is the court has to be involved because people will not just do the right thing. THE RIGHT THING, everyone knows what it is. Its paying for having a child, both mother and father, it's a 50/50 deal. That's it. When a mother and father cannot agree then the court has to get involved to make a decision on who deserves what, weather it be child support or parenting time. I have a deadbeat dad who can't save his own ass let alone pay child support and yeah he keeps the court in buisness and makes it hard for all other daddy's out there. Heres your problem. DEADBEATS! Put the blame where it is due. When you can't handle your own buisness someone will handle it for you. Sucks, but it's life. Be careful who you choose to have a baby with and be responsible. That's all I have to say. The court gets tired of issuing warrants and looking for deadbeats, so it makes it harder on all of us because of one bastard who FFFFEEDDD up!
RPierson

United States

#159 Oct 18, 2007
Edward wrote:
So...when is the Father bashing going to stop ? Why don't you write about children who only get to see their Father's 4 days a month - even when Fathers want to give their children a lot more time ? Or perhaps you could write of the Mothers who interfere with the child's visitation with their Father - and the Fathers who have no recourse what so ever.
The media certainly doesn't list the abusive Mothers who keep their children from the Fathers. Nor are Mother's license suspended, or are they fined, etc.
Fortunately some states have adopted the "Parental Alienation Syndrome" - though it needs to be used more often to remove children from the abusive Mom's that deny their children their Fathers.
Or perhaps the media could speak of how child support orders are so high, that most Fathers have to cancel health insurance just to marginally survive, and barely have any money to spend for the few days their children are with them.
So please - tell the rest of the story and stop bashing Fathers. Not all Mom's are victims, nor are all Dad's absent and deadbeats. But media outlets like yours that continuously regurgitate the same 'myth' and omit the rest of the reality simply help perpetuate a legal system that disenfranchises Fathers from their children.
I'm a father who has not rec childsuport in 9 yrs.Over $25,000 owed.But very little is done when the father has the children.The law does not follow up on dead beat mothers like they do on the fathers.
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#160 Oct 18, 2007
Some men and women are just not going to pay.The parental instincts just aren't there.Animals care more for their offspring than some humans.And we like to believe that we're so much more "civilized" than animals.
Sharron Hernandez

Merced, CA

#161 Oct 26, 2007
People, want to say OH! POOR DADS. Well it wasn't are fault u don't pay child support. WE didn't make these kids are selves. It takes two not just one. If you make kids u should support them, I'm not saying women should take an excess of money either. Pay what u can at least u did that. My x owes $100,000 to me and nobody does anything about it. They tell me its not a priority because i'm not on assistance of any kind. Ive even had them tell me get a divorce from my spouse now , and they will help tell me what good will that do.My husband now has raised my 4 children 13yrs and he loves them like they were his. My x he made the choice not to be in their life not me.And he was only to pay $503.00 a month and didn't do that, They tell me in TEXAS, They cannot touch him.Boy wheres the law at for the fathers who haven't even tried, and to all u fathers who do try God Bless u because at least u try. They should have a cap for the amount a parent could ask for. thanks!
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#162 Oct 26, 2007
If the punishment were severe enough,alot of these deadbeat parents would pay up.The system is a joke and many of them know it.They couldn't care less about the welfare of their children or they would do whatever it took to pay support on a regular basis.
Trayc

Belleville, IL

#163 Nov 30, 2007
I am so tired of hearing about 'bashing deadbeats' and 'always picking on the dads/moms'. You know what, those parents that do pay, those that do follow court orders and those that see their kids because they love them...they don't have time or needs to be on these boards because there is little to complain about.

The reason you hear about all the deadbeats is because they have created the mess themselves. I don't think there is a person or parent out there that doesn't wish they didn't have to go through the hell or pain of a deadbeat. It's not money that is the issue, it's the child. When you are the sole parent of a child, and you have to make sure they are emotionally taken care of, you have to ensure they see the positive and you tuck away the negative, it's hard as hell!

You can't force a parent to be a parent...and your sure can't force a bad parent to be a good one. So, for the limited laws we do have when it comes to the financial responsibilities, I say fry them! If they can't be accountable on their own, then we force them too.

Would you be okay with a drunk driver killing someone or permantly damaging someone and then telling them,'hey no big whoop, here's a beer and the keys to my car'? Hell no you wouldn't...but when you/the law say it's okay to be a deadbeat parent or only a parent now and then...you are empowering them to be the drunk driver in a child's life and hurting those kids over and over again.
Trayc

Belleville, IL

#164 Nov 30, 2007
RPierson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a father who has not rec childsuport in 9 yrs.Over $25,000 owed.But very little is done when the father has the children.The law does not follow up on dead beat mothers like they do on the fathers.
sorry that you haven't received the support but don't think it's because you are a father that makes it harder to get the money.

This isn't a mother/father or male/female issue, it's the courts problems. There are plenty of mothers out there (myself included) who feel as if the system has failed us as much as it has you.

In order for the population and the courts to understand this issue, we as PARENTS need to stand up as a whole. We can't keep saying dead beat dads and think that moms aren't out there doing the same thing. It's a shame that the majority of reports you hear about focus on the dads...we know it's not just them. But the real focus should be on the courts and why these dads/moms exist in the first place!

Hang in there, but please understand, it's not because you are a man that you aren't getting help...if that were the case, I would have been helped already myself :)
Awomenthatunders tands

Memphis, TN

#165 Dec 6, 2007
Edward wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason why it doesn't make sense is because its more myth than reality. The legal system itself is designed the leave Fathers on the edge of financial existance, seriously impeding their ability to even be a part their children's life. And most judges only let the children see Father's 4 days a month.
Unless you live it, you have no idea of the emotional pain that Fathers endure being separated from their children, and then almost daily being labelled as deadbeats and absent by a thoughtless, overzealous media and political establishment. Its the very legal system that disenfranshises Fathers, and the media that uses Fathers as scapegoats to further their careers and ratings as pseudo-heroes.
I agree with a you just said!!!!!!!!! My husband has to pay child support after his child came to stay with use one summer. I gusses he went home and told his mom how we were living, well honstly I think that is a wrong reason to put a person on child support after all we were doing for the child at all times. The child had a bank account which we put $200 &$300 in the bi weekly so that is about what $400 to $600 a mo. We still bought clothing shoes etc. all the time. But now since she's going the support she think that she can the the support and more A LIE!!!!!!! Once you put a man on support that is it. See what women fell to see that you can not get your cake and eat it too. I do understand that dads that are not doing for the child I understand that, but we put child support on the dad because there with another woman,and that is just wrong. When you do that I hate to say it you make it bad for the child. Put the child support on the father that just aren't doing anything for the child at all. Not the once that's trying to see the child and doing just doing for the child. Give them a break!!!!!!
Gordon Moseley

White House, TN

#166 Dec 6, 2007
I am the assistant state director for DSS child support enforcement.Please call me to discuss to discuss your child support matter.My phone number is in the blue pages of the phone book

“Do we still stand united?”

Since: Jun 07

Small Town in South Carolina

#167 Dec 6, 2007
Parents need to quit bashing each other for the sake of the children. Fathers and mothers need to be equally responsible for their children. Just because spouses end up hating each other, you need to think about your children and how they feel about your spouse. As much as I despise my daughter's father, she recently told me "Mom, I have never heard you say one bad thing about my dad." As I explainied to her, she can form her own opinions about him.
blue michigan

Waterford, MI

#168 Mar 19, 2008
I RECENTLY WENT TO COURT ON CHILD SUPPORT ARREARS THAT OCCURRED WHILE I HAD A VALVE IN MY HEART REPLACED. I HAVE SINCE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK AND HAVE FILED FOR SSI. IN COURT I WAS CHARGED WITH A FELONY AND PUT ON 5 YRS. PROBATION. THE JUDGE TOLD ME I WAS A BAD FATHER.THEY COULD HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT ANYTHING BUT MONEY.DURING COURT THEY HAD A GUY THAT WAS THERE FOR SEVERAL ARCENIES AND ONLY GOT 2 YRS. PROBATION. I WAS ALSO TOLD BY THE JUDGE THAT HE WOULD HAVE DEALT WITH ME STRONGER HAD NOT MY ATTORNEY AND ATTY. GENERAL NOT MADE A DEAL.IS THIS REALLY FAIR.THE YR PRIOR TO THIS I WAS ON PROBATION TRYING TO PAY THE ARREARS AT AN AMOUNT OF $1575.00 A MONTH.THEY SET YOU UP TO FAIL.
Jeff MICHIGAN

Canton, MI

#169 Mar 20, 2008
Women that have kids that A. arent married or B. that get divorced are only out for the money. The moms never spend the money on the kid and its bullshit. Susan your fulll of shit if you only get 200$ a month your kid must have down syndrome or something you idiot. I know guys that pay 1200 a month for 2 kids in Michigan. Women are out to get money and thats it they need to stop giving these kids to these unfit mothers and give them to the parent that really wants them. i dont care if you gave birth to the kid without the guy you wouldnt have had the kid. Courts need to do a better job and stop being so sexist against the Men

#170 Mar 20, 2008
Jeff MICHIGAN wrote:
Women that have kids that A. arent married or B. that get divorced are only out for the money. The moms never spend the money on the kid and its bullshit. Susan your fulll of shit if you only get 200$ a month your kid must have down syndrome or something you idiot. I know guys that pay 1200 a month for 2 kids in Michigan. Women are out to get money and thats it they need to stop giving these kids to these unfit mothers and give them to the parent that really wants them. i dont care if you gave birth to the kid without the guy you wouldnt have had the kid. Courts need to do a better job and stop being so sexist against the Men
You are full of dung! Unless these women (that you say do not spend the child support money on the children) stay home, they are spending money on the children. In SC, when renting apartments, a single mother and one child must rent a 2-bedroom apt. Compare the difference between the cost of a one-bedroom to a two-bedroom apt. Compare the grocery bill for a single person to that of a single parent (with one child). Compare the electric and water bills for a single person and a single parent (with one child). And we all know that daycare is free, right? Fifteen years ago when my child was in daycare, it cost me $60 per week (or $259.80 per month...based on the multiplier {4.33} that monthly income is calculated by the courts). Then there is the cost of medical insurance (for those Americans lucky enough to have it), medical bills, clothing, entertainment (toys, etc.), school costs and fees. And finally, the time spent with the child/children...cooking for, cleaning up after, bathing, getting ready for school, reading bed-time stories, etc & etc. & etc.

My guess is that either you don't have children, your wife (ex-wife) does everything, or you have a sorry-a$$ wife (ex-wife).
mdn

Greer, SC

#171 May 5, 2008
My husbands child has been in and out of trouble and had to leave our home for molesting his step sister, he went to state custody, to a group home, he ran away at the age of 16 and moved in with some of my husbands relatives. He was arrested 4 months ago for statatory rape and was bailed out by these same relatives. In the meantime, the state still tells my husband that he is in their custody. My husband was arrested on saturday and now his job, his home and the welfare of myself and our three children is in jepordy, while the alleged rapist is living off the welfare system. Oh yeah , his mother is in prison, whereabouts unknown.
mdn

Greer, SC

#172 May 5, 2008
Dakota wrote:
What good does it do for a parent to call child support to put the non custodial parent in jail. How do you collect if they are in jail. Why would you want your child to know or see there parent behind bars? They constantly take driver's license how much more ridiclous can the system get. Call child support on the non custodial parent makes them have to hire an attorney to collect LOL how ridiculous the money then goes to the attorney!! Personally if you can't take care of your child. Stop whinning and give the child to non custodial parent.As they say if you can't take the heat get the hell out of the kitchen. Just please stop whinning and pointing fingers we are not children!
How right you are! Attorneys, states, they all get their cut first, whats left goes to the attended purpose. Where were we when family court wasnt around.......someone decided "now theres a way for us to make some money!"

#173 May 14, 2008
Dakota wrote:
For one thing, the non-custodial parent is not out making other babies they will not take care of, and

Second, it will give them time to think, and if they don't want to go back to jail, they better start paying.
elle

Alamo, TN

#174 Jun 16, 2008
What good it does, is it show's people who violate court orders,"breaking the law", they can't get away with it. Would you just ignore dui fines, no you would go to jail for breaking the law, not obeying a court order, it is no different. If you make a baby, help pay for it. Learn that there are consequences to disobeying the law. We have become a society who cries about laws. Put the bums in jail.........thats right bums. Put your money where your mouth is.
elle

Alamo, TN

#175 Jun 16, 2008
RPierson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just want to let you know as a woman, I am sorry. I believe whether it is a man or woman, it is both parents responsiblity to support. Keep trying to find her. Find her and garnish her, put her in jail, whatever it takes.
elle

Alamo, TN

#176 Jun 16, 2008
The courts/ and attorneys are making wayyyyyy too much money and still not enforcing things, or being strict enough. I shouldn't have to keep taking my exhusband to court over not sharing medical bills, after he got told once, when it was $300.00 he should have paid. Now it is three thousand, 10 times the amount, when told to pay. Now he should be going to jail,straight from court. He hasn't attempted to pay any of it. Where are parents responsibilities these days, I pay my part and his part too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) 14 hr Alonzo 2,021
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... (Aug '15) Jan 16 Aiken Newsfeed 80
Support U.s Artist Emcee D Unknoen Now Jan 7 Patrick Gilbride 1
truth about the jews and israel Dec 30 treetop 2
the real truth about the jews Dec 30 treetop 4
News Angie Goff | Traffic Anchor (Apr '08) Dec 24 Lynn Czarny of Ma... 9
parental rights in jeopardy....join the fight t... (Mar '12) Dec '16 Nightmare 20

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages