Deadbeat Parents Owe $6.1 Million Dollars in Back Child Support

But that number is just a small part of the $6.1 million dollar total of unpaid child support in the county. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
unknown

Orangeburg, SC

#1 Feb 28, 2007
this doesnt make any sense that these parents dont want to take care of people that are part of them
Edward

Warwick, NY

#2 Feb 28, 2007
So...when is the Father bashing going to stop ? Why don't you write about children who only get to see their Father's 4 days a month - even when Fathers want to give their children a lot more time ? Or perhaps you could write of the Mothers who interfere with the child's visitation with their Father - and the Fathers who have no recourse what so ever.

The media certainly doesn't list the abusive Mothers who keep their children from the Fathers. Nor are Mother's license suspended, or are they fined, etc.

Fortunately some states have adopted the "Parental Alienation Syndrome" - though it needs to be used more often to remove children from the abusive Mom's that deny their children their Fathers.

Or perhaps the media could speak of how child support orders are so high, that most Fathers have to cancel health insurance just to marginally survive, and barely have any money to spend for the few days their children are with them.

So please - tell the rest of the story and stop bashing Fathers. Not all Mom's are victims, nor are all Dad's absent and deadbeats. But media outlets like yours that continuously regurgitate the same 'myth' and omit the rest of the reality simply help perpetuate a legal system that disenfranchises Fathers from their children.
Edward

Warwick, NY

#3 Feb 28, 2007
unknown wrote:
this doesnt make any sense that these parents dont want to take care of people that are part of them
The reason why it doesn't make sense is because its more myth than reality. The legal system itself is designed the leave Fathers on the edge of financial existance, seriously impeding their ability to even be a part their children's life. And most judges only let the children see Father's 4 days a month.

Unless you live it, you have no idea of the emotional pain that Fathers endure being separated from their children, and then almost daily being labelled as deadbeats and absent by a thoughtless, overzealous media and political establishment. Its the very legal system that disenfranshises Fathers, and the media that uses Fathers as scapegoats to further their careers and ratings as pseudo-heroes.
SHE GOT PREG 2 GET A DIME

United States

#4 Feb 28, 2007
When I was unemplooyed for 6 months, I still had to pay $600 a month for 1 kid. When I tried to get it reduced, they said NO. But as soon as I got a job, the EX took me back to get it raised, and they jumped all over it. The courts need to see why someone can't pay $600 a month, instead of putting them in jail. I paid religiously for 10 years, and got behind during those 6 months. They tried to take my driving license away, and put me in jail. So Fu** the courts and the EX!!!!!!
ALL THEY WANT IS OUTRAGOUS MONEY and the money I do give the courts, the EX spends on herself and not the kid. I have to buy my kid SHOES, and clothes so she dont get made fun of in school. WHERE IS MY CHILD SUPPORT GOING? WHY CAN'T they make the EX show where my money goes? OH YEA.. for drugs... guess you can't report that can you? I know there are truely dead beat parents out there, but I AM NOT.. and they treat me like one. 10 years of support faithfully and the courts instantly jump at putting me in jail. Lets see... loose the house or pay child supprt this month? and I don't drive a new car, own a 100K house, I like very simply because I love my daugher and hope she does not turn out like her mother...
DML

United States

#5 Feb 28, 2007
HECK ON THE NAME DONALD KELLY DANGERFIELD. I THINK THE SYSTEM AND THE COURT HAS LET ME DOWN. MY GIRLS ARE 18 AND 19 AND I HAVENT RECIEVED A SUPPORT CHECK FOR THEM IN 15 YEARS. IN FACT I HAVE NEVER RECIEVED EVEN THE FIRST ONE.
Greg L

Savannah, GA

#8 Feb 28, 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only one fed up with the SC child Support system. It's a down rite disgrace the way the system works in SC. I supported a child I thought was mine for 10 yrs and then I found out he wasn't and the courts tell me I had to take the mother to court to get any of it back, which was a bunch of BS. And you wonder why there is so much abuse going on. How is the system set to where the mother gets all the say so or gets the support in the court system. Why in the heck am I paying $1500 in support for my own 3 kids and I can't even get them longer than a freakin weekend. Hey the ones who don't pay and should, well they get what they deserve. The system is messed up when a mother won't even allow the father to split the child/children during tax time. It's sad one pays over $20,000 a year but the mother can claim the child but doesn't have to claim the support she gets and the father is left with a huge shortfall during tax time. Get real South Carolina. There's a better way to handle this. It always made me laugh to think that, you put a person in jail that can't pay any support and let the tax payers foot the bill on the jail time. You have a better chance of getting a penny out of a pigs butt then any money you'll receive while the person is incarcerated.
Greg L

Savannah, GA

#9 Feb 28, 2007
Fair is fair. The system and the law is ridiculous. The media and the courts are so quick to persecute the father that tries to do rite. I can take care of my kids as well as their mother can but I'm left to try and survive and my kids tell me their mother won't even cook them a decent dinner. I'm so fed up with South Carolina rite now, I could yell. But then again, The government is so jacked up anyway, nobody cares. Heck, our elected officials can't even control gas prices, and that's another bashing that needs to be addressed. Anyway, We on the outside of the good to do will never be protected, because the judges will never listen to our view of the situation.
Faith Mosier

Lexington, SC

#10 Mar 1, 2007
I understand children needing a chance and being supported. However, if the child is not residing with the parent receiving the money and NEVER sees or supported with the funds -- What good is the child support anyway?

I personally know someone who has requested a hearing, due to finances cannot afford an attorney and requested for his case. But the courts amd law enforcement don't seem to care about that. This person tried to make a child support payment one week and the courthouse was going to REFUSE his payment. If he gets $100 behind they lock him up.

But when the child was sexually abused by one of her stepfathers after the courts being told he would do that. When DSS was notified - they listed the father as deceased. Then he had no rights in that case and was never given the child during that case. The mother still doesn't have the child but still gets the money and she doesn't have to work.

How is that fair? Where is legal?
Faith Mosier

Lexington, SC

#11 Mar 1, 2007
Edward wrote:
So...when is the Father bashing going to stop ? Why don't you write about children who only get to see their Father's 4 days a month - even when Fathers want to give their children a lot more time ? Or perhaps you could write of the Mothers who interfere with the child's visitation with their Father - and the Fathers who have no recourse what so ever.
The media certainly doesn't list the abusive Mothers who keep their children from the Fathers. Nor are Mother's license suspended, or are they fined, etc.
Fortunately some states have adopted the "Parental Alienation Syndrome" - though it needs to be used more often to remove children from the abusive Mom's that deny their children their Fathers.
Or perhaps the media could speak of how child support orders are so high, that most Fathers have to cancel health insurance just to marginally survive, and barely have any money to spend for the few days their children are with them.
So please - tell the rest of the story and stop bashing Fathers. Not all Mom's are victims, nor are all Dad's absent and deadbeats. But media outlets like yours that continuously regurgitate the same 'myth' and omit the rest of the reality simply help perpetuate a legal system that disenfranchises Fathers from their children.
You are so RIGHT with this - I am a mother but my husband and family will let you know -- I back FATHERS 100%. My husband and I lost everything because of child support in Mass being so high and when he was out of work and on disability. We were told that is your problem the child gets everything. He didn't get enough to make the child support payment. Mother doesn't even work and he was allowed to visit the child because he lives in another state and mommie was afraid. She suffers with PAA. But it is ok.

Women may birth but NOT always the best parent!!
Mary Livingston

Columbia, SC

#12 Mar 1, 2007
Not only is Child Support is owed in Lexington County it is All over the State. Family Court will give the Dead Beat Parents time in Jail, and they are then relesed without Paying and of the Money Owed for Child Support. This only allow the money to continue to increase, it take them up six months are Longer to get them again for Child Support payments,again jail time. Where is the stopping point? What is the purpose of the Court sytem if they are not going to Collect any of the Back Child Support? The State HAs to Pay Double when they are just taking time in Jail, again and again.
blue

Lexington, SC

#13 Mar 1, 2007
Faith Mosier wrote:
I understand children needing a chance and being supported. However, if the child is not residing with the parent receiving the money and NEVER sees or supported with the funds -- What good is the child support anyway?
I personally know someone who has requested a hearing, due to finances cannot afford an attorney and requested for his case. But the courts amd law enforcement don't seem to care about that. This person tried to make a child support payment one week and the courthouse was going to REFUSE his payment. If he gets $100 behind they lock him up.
But when the child was sexually abused by one of her stepfathers after the courts being told he would do that. When DSS was notified - they listed the father as deceased. Then he had no rights in that case and was never given the child during that case. The mother still doesn't have the child but still gets the money and she doesn't have to work.
How is that fair? Where is legal?
i bet the step father is still running free too
Cure at hand

Columbia, SC

#16 Mar 1, 2007
My wife had two children from a previous marriage. She got the Lexington Bull dogs after him. He paid $700 per month.
Personally I thought that amount was ridiculous. What the hell was she going to buy with $700 a month for two tiny children?
Now the cure, her ex-husband claimed bankruptcy and circumvented the local demon judges of Lexington County and only had to pay $200 a month thereafter. So, there is a cure and I know the mothers do not spend that money on their children. I have seen it first hand.
ford

Lexington, SC

#17 Mar 1, 2007
we will never see any justice done fairly untill the main problem is out of office inlex county .that problem is metts ,he is the biggest crook in lex county.
ford

Lexington, SC

#18 Mar 1, 2007
the reason courts and police hound people that try to have a life ,is because it is easy ,it takes effort to catch a deadbeat.
ford

Lexington, SC

#19 Mar 1, 2007
susan wrote:
<quoted text>
Waaaaaaaaa - stop your whining. FYI - if the husband loses his job and can't pay support should the child be dedied food, shelter, clothes etc? Stupid - the mother ALWAYS has to pay for her child regardless of what the ex is doing or not doing financially. I don't give a shit what lame excuse any of you can come up with. The bottom line is the immediate needs of the child. Also, have we forgotten that women are paid SUBSTANCIALLY less than men yet we foot the all the bills. Hmmm.
you aint from around here are you
Bug

Columbia, SC

#20 Mar 1, 2007
They need to stop being so leanant with these men, forget threating them, put their butts in jail for abt a week, and let them kno that if they dont straighten up they can be there a lot longer
MEN

Columbia, SC

#21 Mar 1, 2007
girl i agree with you totally, today's society have gotten so relax, with these men, that it is a shame, its like they go around making babies and not supporting them, and we as women have to not only do our parts as mothers but step up to the plate and do theirs as well, and its just not "FAIR" nor is it "RIGHT"
susan wrote:
<quoted text>
Waaaaaaaaa - stop your whining. FYI - if the husband loses his job and can't pay support should the child be dedied food, shelter, clothes etc? Stupid - the mother ALWAYS has to pay for her child regardless of what the ex is doing or not doing financially. I don't give a shit what lame excuse any of you can come up with. The bottom line is the immediate needs of the child. Also, have we forgotten that women are paid SUBSTANCIALLY less than men yet we foot the all the bills. Hmmm.
Spin Doctor

Columbia, SC

#23 Mar 1, 2007
ford wrote:
we will never see any justice done fairly untill the main problem is out of office inlex county .that problem is metts ,he is the biggest crook in lex county.
It is easy money for the county coffers. I mean it takes too much effort and little return to catch murders, rapist, and burglars.
Tony Coleman

Columbia, SC

#24 Mar 1, 2007
Finally,something is being done about dead beat parents,hopefully Richland count will follow suit because my ex owes child support and I hope she gets what she deserves!!!!!!!!!!
jeff gordon

Lexington, SC

#26 Mar 1, 2007
susan wrote:
<quoted text>
That is merely YOUR example. Don't say that mothers don't spend it on the kids. I'd LOVE to see you pay rent/mortgage, car, utilites, food, clothes, parties (bday)on 200 a month! You are an idiot. Keep your stupidity to yourself please.
you child support is suppose to go toward paying for rent utillities food clothing ,not pay for all you as a mom expect money for all ,but just their part and that is the first time i heard that parties were part of it ,you get 200 a month and add your 200 a month you have 400 in 1 month a child can live good off of that and still put some of it in a college fund for later .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Jeb Bush 'evolving' on same-sex marriage and... 2 min Mitt s Baptism of... 196
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) 9 hr Alonzo 186
brown boy dog food Sun slammed 1
DC legalizing pot, ignoring House Republicans Feb 28 goonsquad 51
Please help support the Ridge View High School ... Feb 24 BoosterBeds 1
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Feb 24 White Justice 5,673
Gerald Truesdell, Jr. (May '14) Feb 24 johndavit 3
Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance