Ex-USC Star Fined for Going to Grandm...

Ex-USC Star Fined for Going to Grandmother's Funeral

There are 110 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Ex-USC Star Fined for Going to Grandmother's Funeral. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Williamson missed three practices as well as this past Sunday's win against San Diego.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
USA

Irmo, SC

#1 Nov 9, 2007
Bunch of JERKS!!! I hope my GREEN BAY PACKERS CRUSH THE VIKES!!!! GO PACKERS and GAMECOCKS!!!
SHAME ON MINN

Norway, SC

#2 Nov 9, 2007
They have their priorities screwed up. Then the President and every associate member better never miss a game for any reason to include death in the family. Family comes first and business. Corporations wonder why employees get up set. Shame on them!!
YEP

Columbia, SC

#3 Nov 9, 2007
That's Right Troy!!!
Stating the Obvious

Charlotte, NC

#4 Nov 9, 2007
What the he!!? So does becoming a pro athlete mean that you STOP being a human being and don't handle family business? This is a man who was paying respect to his grandmother, who was probably a huge influence in his life -- not one of the sorry athletes who get all the publicity for all the wrong reasons. Get real, NFL!!
hubert

AOL

#5 Nov 9, 2007
All the players in the NFL should pitch in and pay the find. One day this can and will happen to them.

“Country Girl”

Since: May 07

The real Boonedocks

#6 Nov 9, 2007
Every other business has time off for death of family members , why not the Vikings ?
sherry

Lexington, SC

#7 Nov 9, 2007
That is the most stupit thing I heard of. They should be fined their own selfs. I just can not belisve they did such a thing to him. Shame on them
Harry

Montgomery Village, MD

#8 Nov 9, 2007
8102I hope he wins his appeal. This just proves that the NFL players are nothing but numbers to the owners.A former Gamecock player that has some class.
Jackie

West Columbia, SC

#9 Nov 9, 2007
Absolutely this makes no sense at all. Wonder what happens to the person who works in the front office and they lose a close loved one. I don't believe I can watch the Vikings play after this.
debi

AOL

#10 Nov 9, 2007
he did the right thing,family what life is all about ,sound like grandma was moma to him ,IFyou cant see that than maybe you dont understand FAMILY .

Since: Dec 06

United States

#11 Nov 9, 2007
He wasn't docked for attending a family tradgedy.
The fact he has 9 catches for a 157 yds. ALL SEASON LONG and is a 7th pick in rd.1 bust,is why.
Maybe he should have just stayed home.

United States

#12 Nov 9, 2007
Your job is #1
Family always will be #2.
Yep,
that's right.
Answer is elementary.
No job=no family.
Just a nice warm box on a warm vent in the city.
Plan "B" is family supports you.
Then feel free to attend away.

Fact of life 101.
Get over it.
have mercy

Gaston, SC

#13 Nov 9, 2007
His coach is a BUTT!!! Let someone else play in his place that game. The man is burying his grandmother for goodness sake! They should have a bereavement policy! GRRRRR
Barbara

Little Mountain, SC

#15 Nov 9, 2007
Childress wrote:
He wasn't docked for attending a family tradgedy.
The fact he has 9 catches for a 157 yds. ALL SEASON LONG and is a 7th pick in rd.1 bust,is why.
Maybe he should have just stayed home.
My God. What are we coming too. I hope that you never have to experience this. Where is your compassion. You are one fool.

United States

#16 Nov 9, 2007
Barbara wrote:
<quoted text>My God. What are we coming too. I hope that you never have to experience this. Where is your compassion. You are one fool.
Please!!!!!!!!!
We all have experienced this.
You and Williamson need to grow up.
Do you know the facts or is it just your emotions ruling you?
Publius II

United States

#17 Nov 9, 2007
Childress wrote:
Your job is #1
Family always will be #2.
Yep,
that's right.
Answer is elementary.
No job=no family.
Just a nice warm box on a warm vent in the city.
Plan "B" is family supports you.
Then feel free to attend away.
Fact of life 101.
Get over it.
I see your point.No job, no rent money, no groceries, etc. But sheesh,
money comes and goes, but family is life. How cold have we become to allow us to feel this way?

“Vikings Fan Forever”

Chicago

#18 Nov 9, 2007
HE KNEW HE WOULD GET DOCKED!!! There is no greivance pay in his contract and he knew before hand that he would get docked, so this is a moot point.
Old School

United States

#19 Nov 9, 2007
If I was Troy Williamson I would consider it an honor to be fined $25,000 by a Heathen Football Team for missing a game to attend my grandmother's funeral.
bburns

United States

#20 Nov 9, 2007
i can understand the business end of this but---does the nfl not have any feelings? crying shame is all i can say for fineing him for this

United States

#21 Nov 9, 2007
Publius II wrote:
<quoted text>
I see your point.No job, no rent money, no groceries, etc. But sheesh,
money comes and goes, but family is life. How cold have we become to allow us to feel this way?
21st century world.
As adults we have to budget grieving around responsibilities.
Keeping it in perspective though,
the vikings were okay with him attending to matters but wanted him to attend to matters with the team to be paid.
I wonder if it was Wilf or Childress would it be different.
Upper management usually has a different set of rules.
Now if there are a double set of rules I would have a problem with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Confederate Flag 5 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 12
Confederate Southern Freedom Sun ickey81 7
News SC lawmakers agree to debate removing Confedera... Jun 26 Flabbergasted 2
News As South Carolina honors victims, Alabama lower... Jun 26 private guy 1
Tom wannamaker Jun 26 Looking 1
News Editorial: Not time to hedge on Confederate fla... Jun 25 Bama Yankee 1
News The Latest: Sons of Confederate Veterans vow to... Jun 25 Private guy 1
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE