Episcopal Drama Rocks SC

Oct 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: FITSNews

The national Episcopal church has advised South Carolina Bishop Mark Lawrence that he has "abandoned" the church as a result of his refusal to accept its teachings on gay marriage and the ordination of gay and female clergy.

Comments
1,781 - 1,800 of 1,813 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2013
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as empty churches go, there are many Christian churches whose parishes have declined and dissolved. The process is somewhat cyclical and has been going on for about 20 centuries.

As far as our entire Episcopal Church is going, the members of 4 out of about 100 dioceses, by majority vote, have chosen to leave The Episcopal Church over a number of issues, such as ordination of women to the priesthood and acceptance of openly gay priests, men and women, to the office of Bishop. It is a small minority. Rev. Ken
"THE CHURCH VANISHES
July 16, 2012 By Philip Jenkins
I am a member of the Episcopal Church, USA (hereafter TEC). I am increasingly worried that in a few years, I might be THE member of the Episcopal Church, USA, the last of my kind.

As Rod Dreher, Ross Douthat and others have pointed out, the church has just issued a summary of its attendance statistics from 2000 to 2010, and they are incredibly bad even by the standards of liberal mainline denominations. Nationwide, average Sunday attendance fell by 23 percent in that short decade, from 857,000 to 658,000. In some dioceses, though, the contraction was far worse – 72 percent in Pittsburgh, 73 percent in Fort Worth, 80 percent in San Joaquin. Now, there is limited comfort in these statistics, because some at least of the factors causing decline will not recur in the next decade. As these three dioceses show, part of the fall in numbers involved the defection of Episcopal believers to new and more conservative Anglican denominations, formed in protest against TEC’s liberal stance on issues of sexuality and morality. As these traditionalists have already gone, they no longer survive to flee again. Dare we hope that if those ideological battles are not exactly over, yet the worst is probably past?

Having said this, in other ways the figures are actually worse than they appear, as the attendance figures represent a net, combining losses and gains. In fact, many Episcopal churches actually added members in the decade from Catholics fleeing that church – usually on those familiar matters of gender and sexuality. So the overall fall of 23 percent includes those new additions, minus a catastrophic exodus of more traditional Episcopalians.

Even apart from the statistics of decline, it is sobering to see the tiny scale of the dioceses that remain. Of a hundred TEC dioceses in the continental US, a sixth cannot muster average Sunday attendances of 2,000, not enough to constitute a single megachurch. Fewer than a quarter of the dioceses have ten thousand or more Sunday attenders. One would think that consolidation and merging of those small and struggling dioceses has to be high on the agenda of church authorities.

Overall, we really have to ask how long a church can survive with statistics like this, and when the time has come to admit that the patient cannot be revived."
No UnRev ken the people have had enough and the decline shown here started with the gay Bishop Robinson-admit it the people don't want a "new" Bible where anything goes.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I and the others here have reduced you to nothing but name calling.
Talk about others not staying on topic----geeeez go look in the mirror UnRev you are making an ass out of yourself.
Another failure to communicate leveled by the Lone Star manure-spreader.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a forest for the trees that you can't see grow up around you suddenly.

One thing is for sure: Your immediate vicinity has been so well-fertilized that the material is mounding up and casting a "SHADOW."

Try posting on topic for effect.
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Another failure to communicate leveled by the Lone Star manure-spreader.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a forest for the trees that you can't see grow up around you suddenly.
One thing is for sure: Your immediate vicinity has been so well-fertilized that the material is mounding up and casting a "SHADOW."
Try posting on topic for effect.
A real slow learner aren't you UnRev.
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about others not staying on topic----geeeez go look in the mirror UnRev you are making an ass out of yourself.
You sir are quickly becoming un-hinged. If you were ever hinged at all.
You go off on the name calling and become exactly what you say others are.
Go away and stop the name calling. Take a dose of your own advice-"Try posting on topic for effect".

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

http://juicyecumenism.com/2012/10/12/
latest-episcopal-church-stats- reveal-fewer-parishes-members/

Sad.

And you are arrogant.

Quantum physics maybe?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I've noticed of late name calling is about all you have left UnRev
Why all the anger anyway UnRev?
No anger.

Just aptly colorful, descriptive adjectives employed to describe your present condition and the backward nature of your posts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
A real slow learner aren't you UnRev.
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir are quickly becoming un-hinged. If you were ever hinged at all.
You go off on the name calling and become exactly what you say others are.
Go away and stop the name calling. Take a dose of your own advice-"Try posting on topic for effect".
More mounding of urea-based ideas.

I think you are drawing flies now.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

KiMare wrote:
http://juicyecumenism.com/2012 /10/12/
latest-episcopal-church-stats- reveal-fewer-parishes-members/
Sad.
And you are arrogant.
Quantum physics maybe?
Let's do the math.

According to the site you have given, The Episcopal Church registered a decline in reported membership of 28,861 from the previous total of 1,951,907 in year 2011.

Weekly attendance was reported to remain about the same.

So, if we divide
over
1,951,907 = 0.01479

The answer is about 3/200ths.... BFD , maybe ...

But, since such membership reports do not quantify or qualify the depth of faith or the commitment to the Teachings of Christ Jesus held by the individual, they really don't mean anything at all. In fact, the consolidation of membership through this process of culling out members who cannot get over their dependence upon the old institutional hypocrisies and bigotries may just be a very major improvement.

I kind of think so.

We'll just have to see how the commitment to the Teachings of Christ Jesus looks in about 20 years. That will be a much better barometer and picture to go with. By then, most of the "Old Frozen Chosen" will be in greener pastures and the Church will have been nearly completely renewed.

Of course, I can hardly wait for your dire predictions of what all of Christianity and Jewry will look like then. But, one thing you can be fairly certain of: there will still be a thriving Episcopal Church and all of the hoopla and lawsuits over stolen properties and pilfered assets will be long-past history. The excess properties will have been sold off for a few farthings. Most of the same-sex couples in our Church will be married, welcomed and raising families if that is what they choose to do.

And, most likely, the Worldwide Anglican Communion will have survived and the Church of England will be admitting women and homosexuals to the office of Bishop - just like they should. And if the Roman Catholics are smart, they will be regularly sending their queer priest couples to us on sabbatical to get married to each other and serve with us for a couple of years, before returning in service from The Episcopal Church to the RCC as married priests.

Then everything will be copasetic, won't it?

Well,... maybe not in your neck of the woods. But, let's hope.

Nah. There will be more going on in 20 years than there is today! And THAT is one reason for why the Lord chose to make me one of His priests.

As for arrogance, yes. The truth always appears to be an arrogance when you try to fight against it and hold on to your precious falsehoods at the same time. One of these days, you are going to be at the end of your rope and are going to have to let go. That is when the fun will begin.

As for Quantum Physics, it's just a theory. Right? Probably.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's do the math.
According to the site you have given, The Episcopal Church registered a decline in reported membership of 28,861 from the previous total of 1,951,907 in year 2011.
Weekly attendance was reported to remain about the same.
So, if we divide
over
1,951,907 = 0.01479
The answer is about 3/200ths.... BFD , maybe ...
But, since such membership reports do not quantify or qualify the depth of faith or the commitment to the Teachings of Christ Jesus held by the individual, they really don't mean anything at all. In fact, the consolidation of membership through this process of culling out members who cannot get over their dependence upon the old institutional hypocrisies and bigotries may just be a very major improvement.
I kind of think so.
We'll just have to see how the commitment to the Teachings of Christ Jesus looks in about 20 years. That will be a much better barometer and picture to go with. By then, most of the "Old Frozen Chosen" will be in greener pastures and the Church will have been nearly completely renewed.
Of course, I can hardly wait for your dire predictions of what all of Christianity and Jewry will look like then. But, one thing you can be fairly certain of: there will still be a thriving Episcopal Church and all of the hoopla and lawsuits over stolen properties and pilfered assets will be long-past history. The excess properties will have been sold off for a few farthings. Most of the same-sex couples in our Church will be married, welcomed and raising families if that is what they choose to do.
And, most likely, the Worldwide Anglican Communion will have survived and the Church of England will be admitting women and homosexuals to the office of Bishop - just like they should. And if the Roman Catholics are smart, they will be regularly sending their queer priest couples to us on sabbatical to get married to each other and serve with us for a couple of years, before returning in service from The Episcopal Church to the RCC as married priests.
Then everything will be copasetic, won't it?
Well,... maybe not in your neck of the woods. But, let's hope.
Nah. There will be more going on in 20 years than there is today! And THAT is one reason for why the Lord chose to make me one of His priests.
As for arrogance, yes. The truth always appears to be an arrogance when you try to fight against it and hold on to your precious falsehoods at the same time. One of these days, you are going to be at the end of your rope and are going to have to let go. That is when the fun will begin.
As for Quantum Physics, it's just a theory. Right? Probably.
Rev. Ken
Lets do the whole article.

How many churches showed a growth of 1 (ONE) member. A sign of manipulation.

Moreover, membership and attendance are two very different things.

We both know that, don't we.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets do the whole article.
How many churches showed a growth of 1 (ONE) member. A sign of manipulation.
Moreover, membership and attendance are two very different things.
We both know that, don't we.
Still trying to make something significant out of membership and attendance numbers?

There was a popular Church in California that, for decades, registered huge attendance numbers.

They called it the Crystal Cathedral.

During its heyday, there were very few who found criticism of Robert Shuller's ministry to be any source of satisfaction.

Crystal Cathedral Ministries filed for bankruptcy in October 2010 and in February 2012 sold the building and its adjacent campus to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange for future use as the diocese's new cathedral.

So what, Kimare?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

My church is growing. We even had to add an additional service.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Still trying to make something significant out of membership and attendance numbers?
There was a popular Church in California that, for decades, registered huge attendance numbers.
They called it the Crystal Cathedral.
During its heyday, there were very few who found criticism of Robert Shuller's ministry to be any source of satisfaction.
Crystal Cathedral Ministries filed for bankruptcy in October 2010 and in February 2012 sold the building and its adjacent campus to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange for future use as the diocese's new cathedral.
So what, Kimare?
Where else did I make an issue out of attendance and membership?

What does CCM have to do with the truth of what I said?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

Judged:

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
My church is growing. We even had to add an additional service.
Honey, there are exceptions regarding churches.

There are NO exceptions regarding liberal denominations.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, there are exceptions regarding churches.
There are NO exceptions regarding liberal denominations.
I am glad that the WRONG people are leaving. I wish them great luck in finding what they are searching for in their faith walk. I have found MINE in the Episcopal Church. The Episcopal Church works for me. Doesn't for everyone. That's OK. If it doesn't work for you...move along.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

The Episcopal Church works for me. Doesn't for everyone. That's OK. If it doesn't work for you...
Any church that truly represents God's precepts doesn't work for YOU; worshippers "work" to please their God by obedience to His word and what He wants for us, not what we want for ourselves.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Any church that truly represents God's precepts doesn't work for YOU; worshippers "work" to please their God by obedience to His word and what He wants for us, not what we want for ourselves.
I, respectfully, wholeheartedly disagree.

Scripture tells us to adjust ourselves so that what we want for ourselves becomes exactly what God wants for us.

What IS that?

When asked what is the Greatest Commandment, how did Jesus reply?

You underestimate others, just as you underestimate yourself.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture tells us to adjust ourselves so that what we want for ourselves becomes exactly what God wants for us.
What IS that?
When asked what is the Greatest Commandment, how did Jesus reply?
You underestimate others, just as you underestimate yourself.
Rev. Ken
In the original Bible Jesus said we must die to ourselves.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture tells us to adjust ourselves so that what we want for ourselves becomes exactly what God wants for us ...
Then you have somehow managed to respectfully and wholeheartedly agree with me.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you talk to your mother like that?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Politics and religion make for strange bedfellows.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Do you talk to your mother like that?
THE END Pervert.
What business is it of yours anyway?
Just gotta butt in because no one will post to you huh

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Columbia Forum right now

Search the Columbia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Malaysian consulate open to allow signing of fl... 12 hr IBU NUNUNG DI BRUNEI 3
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Wed readyreggie 20
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Jul 22 Lawrence Wolf 1,126
Chief Skip Holbrook Jul 21 Franky 2
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Jul 20 vuthiha 62
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Jul 17 Justice 5,653
Review: Anytime Fitness (Apr '09) Jul 17 Alan 135
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••