Episcopal Drama Rocks SC

Oct 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: FITSNews

The national Episcopal church has advised South Carolina Bishop Mark Lawrence that he has "abandoned" the church as a result of his refusal to accept its teachings on gay marriage and the ordination of gay and female clergy.

Comments
281 - 300 of 1,813 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2013

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#296 Nov 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
... are more usefull than a "barking dog" from Kansas.
And yet you wonder why I feel superior to you? Moron.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#297 Nov 21, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
What did Shakespeare say about the devil citing scripture?
The lady doth protest too much?

No.... that's not it.....

It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock?

No.... that's not it either...

True nobility is exempt from fear?

nah......

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#298 Nov 22, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you wonder why I feel superior to you?...
No wonder at all -- Gays like you feel superior to everyone, but remember what Freud said: the mother of the superiority complex, is the inferiority complex.

this one

#300 Nov 22, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
No wonder at all -- Gays like you feel superior to everyone, but remember what Freud said: the mother of the superiority complex, is the inferiority complex.
Sweetie, just because it is incredibly easy to feel superior to you shouldn't be confused with having either a superiority or inferiority complex. It really is just you.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#301 Nov 22, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweetie, just because it is incredibly easy to feel superior to you ...
... doesn't mean that Freud was right, but IMO, he hit the nail on the head when he described you.

this one

#302 Nov 22, 2012
It is still just you sweetie, get over it.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#303 Nov 22, 2012
NoQ wrote:
Why do Queers use the words, hon, sweetie, cupcake, buttercup,or dear? Do they think they are so feminine that they need to use these words like women do?? Strange creatures.
Of course! I always feel feminine when I sing about my enormous penis.

You're such a Neanderthal.

this one

#304 Nov 22, 2012
NoQ wrote:
Why do Queers use the words, hon, sweetie, cupcake, buttercup,or dear? Do they think they are so feminine that they need to use these words like women do?? Strange creatures.
I call you sweetie, because calling you a f*cking waste of human potential, a poster boy for abortion, proof that evolution doesn't always offer advancement, pathetic cowardly scum, empirical proof that heterosexuality doesn't make one normal, natural, superior or even sane, impotent bully wannabe who doesn't have the stones to say even 1% of the crap you spew here in real life, or that you are one seriously f*cked up child who should have his parents told what he's been up to, just takes up too much darn space.
Gays Run the World

Alpharetta, GA

#307 Nov 22, 2012
NoQ wrote:
It is our official way of acknowledging your separate species; sugarbooger

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#308 Nov 22, 2012
Gays Run the World wrote:
<quoted text>
It is our official way of acknowledging your separate species; sugarbooger
I think us straight folks who support your rights have brains too.

;-)

Something that is lacking in the majority of fundamentalists....

“For this reason...”

Since: Feb 10

Marriage = Man + Woman 4 Life

#309 Nov 22, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>I think us straight folks who support your rights have brains too.
;-)
Something that is lacking in the majority of fundamentalists....
The difference between yourself and fundamentalists lies in the master being served....

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#311 Nov 22, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
I call you sweetie, because ...
... like most homosexuals, you're condescending?

The Mountain Empire

#312 Nov 22, 2012
WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between yourself and fundamentalists lies in the master being served....
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Matthew 23:11
"But the greatest among you shall be your servant." - Jesus

Mark 10:44-45
and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be slave of all. "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."- Jesus

Matthew 25:40
"And the King will answer and say to them,'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'- Jesus

1 Peter 4:10-11
As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it were, the utterances of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Peter, the first to recognize Jesus as Messiah

I don't know where you got your skewed ideas.....

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#314 Nov 23, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commands."
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Dear Manito Manurehead,

Jesus' commands were simple enough. There were two.

Location hidden

#315 Nov 23, 2012
My mistake.
I should have written: There ARE two.

Adam Clarke, in his Commentary on the Bible, wrote,(From Wiki) "This is the first and great commandment - It is so,

1. In its antiquity, being as old as the world, and engraven originally on our very nature.
2. In dignity; as directly and immediately proceeding from and referring to God.
3. In excellence; being the commandment of the new covenant, and the very spirit of the Divine adoption.
4. In justice; because it alone renders to God his due, prefers him before all things, and secures to him his proper rank in relation to them.
5. In sufficiency; being in itself capable of making men holy in this life, and happy in the other.
6. In fruitfulness; because it is the root of all commandments, and the fulfilling of the law.
7. In virtue and efficacy; because by this alone God reigns in the heart of man, and man is united to God.
8. In extent; leaving nothing to the creature, which it does not refer to the Creator.
9. In necessity; being absolutely indispensable.
10. In duration; being ever to be continued on earth, and never to be discontinued in heaven."

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God" is explained to mean "Act in such a manner that God will be beloved by all His creatures."[5] Consequently Israel, being, as the priest-people, enjoined like the Aaronite priest to sanctify the name of God and avoid whatever tends to desecrate it (Lev. xxii. 32), is not only obliged to give his life as witness or martyr for the maintenance of the true faith (see Isa. xliii. 12,...; and Pesik. 102b; Sifra, Emor, ix.),
but so to conduct himself in every way as to prevent the name of God from being dishonored by non-Israelites.

Twice every day the Jew recites the Shema, which contains the words: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deut. vi. 5). This verse is understood to enjoin him to willingly surrender life and fortune whenever the cause of God demands it, while it at the same time urges him to make God beloved by all his creatures through deeds of kindness, as Abraham did (Sifre, Deut. 32).

Love thy neighbour as thyself:

Leviticus 19:18 represents but one of several versions of the Golden Rule. It is seemingly the oldest written version in a positive form.

Hillel the Elder, an elder contemporary of Jesus, formulated a negative form of the Golden Rule and when asked to sum up the entire Torah concisely to a gentile who wished to become a Jew, he answered, "What is hateful to thee, do not unto thy fellow man: this is the whole Law; the rest is mere commentary."

With these words Hillel recognized as the fundamental principle of the Jewish moral law the Biblical precept of brotherly love (Lev. xix. 18). Almost the same thing was taught by Paul, a [former] pupil of Gamaliel, the grandson of Hillel (Gal. v. 14; comp. Rom. xiii. 8); and more broadly by Jesus when he declared the love of one's neighbour to be the second commandment beside the love of God, the first (Matt. xxii. 39; Mark xii. 31; Luke x. 27). Akiva ben Joseph, a tanna of first and second century Judaism, called "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" the "greatest principle of Judaism".

In the New Testament the second commandment is referenced by and to Jesus in Matthew 7:12, 19:19, 22:34-40, Mark 12:28-34, Luke 10:25-28, and by the apostle Paul in Romans 13:8-10 and Galatians 5:13-15:
"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another."
—Galatians 5:13-15

The Didache, an Early Christian treatise, begins with a "way of life" that quotes the Shema ("love God"), the second commandment ("love thy neighbour"), and the Golden Rule.

Rev. Ken

The Mountain Empire

#316 Nov 24, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commands."
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
So what's the word David?

What is the Hebrew OR Aramaic OR Koine Greek for homosexual?

No links, please, just the word....

The Mountain Empire

#317 Nov 24, 2012
RevKen wrote:
My mistake.
I should have written: There ARE two.
Adam Clarke, in his Commentary on the Bible, wrote,(From Wiki) "This is the first and great commandment - It is so,
1. In its antiquity, being as old as the world, and engraven originally on our very nature.
2. In dignity; as directly and immediately proceeding from and referring to God.
3. In excellence; being the commandment of the new covenant, and the very spirit of the Divine adoption.
4. In justice; because it alone renders to God his due, prefers him before all things, and secures to him his proper rank in relation to them.
5. In sufficiency; being in itself capable of making men holy in this life, and happy in the other.
6. In fruitfulness; because it is the root of all commandments, and the fulfilling of the law.
7. In virtue and efficacy; because by this alone God reigns in the heart of man, and man is united to God.
8. In extent; leaving nothing to the creature, which it does not refer to the Creator.
9. In necessity; being absolutely indispensable.
10. In duration; being ever to be continued on earth, and never to be discontinued in heaven."
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God" is explained to mean "Act in such a manner that God will be beloved by all His creatures."[5] Consequently Israel, being, as the priest-people, enjoined like the Aaronite priest to sanctify the name of God and avoid whatever tends to desecrate it (Lev. xxii. 32), is not only obliged to give his life as witness or martyr for the maintenance of the true faith (see Isa. xliii. 12,...; and Pesik. 102b; Sifra, Emor, ix.),
but so to conduct himself in every way as to prevent the name of God from being dishonored by non-Israelites.
Twice every day the Jew recites the Shema, which contains the words: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deut. vi. 5). This verse is understood to enjoin him to willingly surrender life and fortune whenever the cause of God demands it, while it at the same time urges him to make God beloved by all his creatures through deeds of kindness, as Abraham did (Sifre, Deut. 32).
Love thy neighbour as thyself:
Leviticus 19:18 represents but one of several versions of the Golden Rule. It is seemingly the oldest written version in a positive form.
Hillel the Elder, an elder contemporary of Jesus, formulated a negative form of the Golden Rule and when asked to sum up the entire Torah concisely to a gentile who wished to become a Jew, he answered, "What is hateful to thee, do not unto thy fellow man: this is the whole Law; the rest is mere commentary."
With these words Hillel recognized as the fundamental principle of the Jewish moral law the Biblical precept of brotherly love (Lev. xix. 18). Almost the same thing was taught by Paul, a [former] pupil of Gamaliel, the grandson of Hillel (Gal. v. 14; comp. Rom. xiii. 8); and more broadly by Jesus when he declared the love of one's neighbour to be the second commandment beside the love of God, the first (Matt. xxii. 39; Mark xii. 31; Luke x. 27). Akiva ben Joseph, a tanna of first and second century Judaism, called "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" the "greatest principle of Judaism".
In the New Testament the second commandment is referenced by and to Jesus in Matthew 7:12, 19:19, 22:34-40, Mark 12:28-34, Luke 10:25-28, and by the apostle Paul in Romans 13:8-10 and Galatians 5:13-15:
"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another."
—Galatians 5:13-15
The Didache, an Early Christian treatise, begins with a "way of life" that quotes the Shema ("love God"), the second commandment ("love thy neighbour"), and the Golden Rule.
Rev. Ken
Brilliant my brother....

The Mountain Empire

#319 Nov 25, 2012
Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>There's no 'David' here you ignoramus. I gave you what you asked for, you were just to ignorant to understand it.
So why do you ask?
Here's a modern translation of the passages that I'm sure you will be able to understand very clearly:
So what's the word David?

What is the Hebrew OR Aramaic OR Koine Greek for homosexual?

No links, please, just the word.

One word...
kapitalkid in SC

Little River, SC

#320 Nov 25, 2012
What is going on in my Church is really upsetting. My family are Christian and were active members of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral until some politics got in the pulpit. Unfortunately, the politics in Trinity and this business at the National Church level has led the entire Church down the wrong path. Personal bigotries by Bishops have gotten in the way of the Dioceses and the National Church from doing God's work.. It is a shame....

Location hidden

#321 Nov 26, 2012
kapitalkid in SC wrote:
What is going on in my Church is really upsetting. My family are Christian and were active members of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral until some politics got in the pulpit. Unfortunately, the politics in Trinity and this business at the National Church level has led the entire Church down the wrong path. Personal bigotries by Bishops have gotten in the way of the Dioceses and the National Church from doing God's work.. It is a shame....
Dear Kapitalkid in SC,

Keep your shirt on and weather the storm. Find people of like mind and stay with them.

If you have agreement with the positions of The Episcopal Church in these matters, and it appears that you do, stay with it.

That is the right position and point of view and it is in keeping with the Teachings of Christ Jesus.

Don't let anybody tell you differently. Because it is true.

But, if you disagree, always be willing to check yourself and then move to develop your faith. No one is right all of the time and that is important for all of us to acknowledge, including those of us who are the most adamant about their beliefs.

These Church problem situations are moving in slow-motion and will take a lot of time, effort and energy to work out. If your parish is one that is planning to leave TEC along with Lawrence, stand up and ask who else is NOT planning on leaving TEC. Find out who they are. They will be good people.

If you want help in figuring out what to do, write a letter to the Presiding Bishop in the central office asking for her advice and directions. I believe she will reply. I've met her and know that she is an excellent and true Christian who is assigned the responsibility of keeping your best interests at heart. This, she is doing and will continue to do, especially when things are not going well.

Lastly, remember and take heart. Being a disciple of Christ Jesus has very little, actually, to do with the Church property and a whole lot to do with what is in your own heart as to how you choose to regard other people.

God Bless and keep in touch,

Rev. Ken

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State court: Workers' comp OK for kickball injury 39 min Naughtyrobot 6
Camera and radar bill will make roads safer (Feb '11) 18 hr TN Voter 6
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Wed NEWORLDORDERPLAN2... 1,148
captainobvious Aug 26 cayleyvelez 1
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Aug 26 Justice 5,656
Should All SC Judges Be Drug and Alcohol Tested... Aug 24 Corrupt SC 0
The Jean Toal Parking Experience Aug 24 Corrupt SC 1
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••