Flag flap: confederate flag controversy keeps students from att...

Full story: WLTX Columbia

They say they're just "good ol' boys" who, like the song goes, were "never meaning no harm." But three Bloomington Kennedy seniors were not allowed to attend their commencement Wednesday night after bringing a ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 289 Comments Last updated Jun 29, 2008
First Prev
of 15
Next Last
WTF

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Just a plot by the man to keep a brother down. Free speech unless it offends someone is hardly free as some folks taking offense weighs more than others. Some folks interpretation of history and symbols is different than others. Homogenize!
drone

Little River, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

i think thats bull whos to say what the confederate flag means the school has their opinion and so does other people i think thats a bull crap thing to do saying the flag means racism thats just a stereotype so they have no reason to suspend someone for their beliefs.
Jo Gerrald

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

I think that it's a disgrace to deny these students attending their Graduation Commencement due to the fact that they diplayed the Confederate Flag. I don't about up in Minnesota but here in the South we are proud of that Flag. It is part of our heritage depsite what others say it represents. It amazes me that other races can display, depict, march or have Groups to represent them but we the American white and Indian people must keep our heritage symbols suppressed.
Boo

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

I think the boys knew exactly what they were doing and they deserve to be censured for it. But that punishment should have nothing to do with their graduation, which they earned fair and square. What they did was stupid and wrong but a better punishment would be to withhold forwarding their transcripts until they have completed a more appropriate punishment such as something that would equal a three-day suspension. Since high school is over for them, how about a day's worth of hard labor during landscaping at the school or another comparable task?
underhay

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

LOL!! silly yankees!
america

Georgetown, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

just let it go already
Thats BS

Elgin, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Jo Gerrald wrote:
I think that it's a disgrace to deny these students attending their Graduation Commencement due to the fact that they diplayed the Confederate Flag. I don't about up in Minnesota but here in the South we are proud of that Flag. It is part of our heritage depsite what others say it represents. It amazes me that other races can display, depict, march or have Groups to represent them but we the American white and Indian people must keep our heritage symbols suppressed.
To some folks the flag represents heritage. If you want to hang one in your garage or in your yard, that's your business. But people need to be more sensitive about what other people's perceptions of what the flag stands for. I still think it is crazy that they took it off of the top of the state house and put it right down front where everyone can see it. It would've been less noticeable flying on top! Anyway I just think people need to be more respectful of each other. A high school graduation has nothing to do with heritage or civil war history and the boys were probably trying to start some crap or tick some folks off, whether they admit it or not. Another story that makes me wonder why we can't just all get along!
Hope that
Gilbert Girl

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

They shouldn't fly the flag if it offends people. End of story.
Sticking it to the man

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

What ever happened to freedom of speech I believe that this was just another way for them to express themselves. Besides blacks and whites fault together in the war.
go figure

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

what happened to the right of freedom of speach?
justthefacts

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Gilbert Girl wrote:
The rainbow flag offends me, so no more flying it!

“peace and blessings”

Since: May 08

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

well good, i'm glad that school thinks: "We are very clear that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hatred, bigotry and racism," said Rick Kaufman, the Executive Director of Community Relations at Bloomington Kennedy High School." Now if they could just teach that to the state of South Carolina and get that damn flag off the State House grounds.
Homey the Clown

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

So let me get this straight, the ACLU defends rapist and murderers rights, but not these students? How pathetic. Just goes to show you how dumb they really are.
Walk by Faith

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

REALIST wrote:
Just another example of Dumba$$crackers give birth to more Dumba$$crackers. they should burn in he77
I pray God will have pity on your Soul. WWJD
Sticking it to the man

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Gilbert Girl wrote:
Your tone it your post offends me so donít post any more
underhay

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

the offensitivity of people in forums offends me! what shall i do?(offensitivity? did i make that word up?)
joe

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

The heritage argument has no merit, as a German, should I be able to fly the nazi swastika in front of jews because it "represents my heritage"?

Whatever these kids want to do in the privacy of their own home or property is fine, but when they try to bring their racist symbol into the public domain citizens have a right to keep them from doing it.
FSM

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

These kids have no sense of history, and it has come back to bite them in the rear. Their 'excuse' that it was for rebellion, not racism, is tantamount to them flying a NAZI flag and claiming that it was to represent their endorsement of capitalism, denying the hate that it represents.

You can't squeeze out of this, people, the history is the history. Why don't you do something more creative and establish your own symbol for rebellion, if that's what you really intend to portray? You can't just 'recycle' a symbol of atrocities committed against other human beings, because the history can never be erased.

“Pray for Clay”

Since: Apr 08

Gaston (hope not for long)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

I can't believe!! This is unreal! That flag is not "clearly" anything. It means different things to different people and the rule about not offending people....good luck not offending someone these days. Everybody is offended by everything!!! If I were the mom of one of these kids, I would have gotten an attorney and gotten a judge to rule on it quick. There is no way I would sit by and let my child not be able to walk in graduation for something so stupid.

“Pray for Clay”

Since: Apr 08

Gaston (hope not for long)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

Thats BS wrote:
<quoted text>
To some folks the flag represents heritage. If you want to hang one in your garage or in your yard, that's your business. But people need to be more sensitive about what other people's perceptions of what the flag stands for. I still think it is crazy that they took it off of the top of the state house and put it right down front where everyone can see it. It would've been less noticeable flying on top! Anyway I just think people need to be more respectful of each other. A high school graduation has nothing to do with heritage or civil war history and the boys were probably trying to start some crap or tick some folks off, whether they admit it or not. Another story that makes me wonder why we can't just all get along!
Hope that
I think the ones offended by the flag should be more sensitive to the fact that that flag represents heritage to some people. And in the case of these three, it was a movie thing! I'm so sick of everyone being so offended by everything. It is disgusting. We have become a society of whiny butts!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••