Do Pit Bulls Make Good Pets?

Do Pit Bulls Make Good Pets?

There are 72 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Oct 4, 2007, titled Do Pit Bulls Make Good Pets?. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

In our state, deputies say it's clear there's a problem here. Since last November, officers have uncovered at least five known dogfighting rings, including two large ones in Sumter and Richland Counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
bigjohn719

Houston, TX

#68 Dec 3, 2008
Okay people let's face facts. The same media to give us daily reports on pitbulls attacking poeple, also are the reason most people think only lil blonde girls get kidnapped. In fact the largest demographic of people kidnapped every year are black men 18 to 25. Now we have that out of the way we can focus on how this pertains to pitbulls. Let's look at what the experts say. Cesar Milan primarily owns pitbulls in fact his famous "daddy" is a pit. He has stated numerous times that they are one of the best dogs anyone can own. The AKC states they are one of the best dogs for any living situation. In the 1920's they were the housepet of choice. All this combined with the fact most people can't tell the difference between a pitbull a presa canario or a cane corso not to mention how many times I have watched the news report a pitbull attack and show a bull terrier a rot or even once a bull mastiff.....well its rediculous to believe that the number of reported dog attacks is credible. Its also amazing to me how we ignore the people we rely on to know study and evaluate dogs. Its their job to know dogs. Tom brokaws job is to read from a teleprompter. Let's listen to the akc on this one. Just a thought. I know thought is not popular but it has worked for many thousands of years.

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

#69 Dec 3, 2008
bigjohn719 wrote:
Okay people let's face facts. The same media to give us daily reports on pitbulls attacking poeple, also are the reason most people think only lil blonde girls get kidnapped. In fact the largest demographic of people kidnapped every year are black men 18 to 25. Now we have that out of the way we can focus on how this pertains to pitbulls. Let's look at what the experts say. Cesar Milan primarily owns pitbulls in fact his famous "daddy" is a pit. He has stated numerous times that they are one of the best dogs anyone can own. The AKC states they are one of the best dogs for any living situation. In the 1920's they were the housepet of choice. All this combined with the fact most people can't tell the difference between a pitbull a presa canario or a cane corso not to mention how many times I have watched the news report a pitbull attack and show a bull terrier a rot or even once a bull mastiff.....well its rediculous to believe that the number of reported dog attacks is credible. Its also amazing to me how we ignore the people we rely on to know study and evaluate dogs. Its their job to know dogs. Tom brokaws job is to read from a teleprompter. Let's listen to the akc on this one. Just a thought. I know thought is not popular but it has worked for many thousands of years.
Great post! There is not a thing wrong with the breed or any breed for that matter. Sure everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of these "facts" I see some people posting on here are a little ridiculous and far fetched. Mine are definetly far from vicous, lol, more crazy and a little ditzy than anything, lol

“Still me. ”

Since: May 07

Hudson, NY

#70 Dec 10, 2008
I have seen even the tiniest of breeds do some horrible damage to people and other dogs. Any breed of dog can be extremely aggressive if brought up that way or inner bred too many times. My step father is an Animal Control officer in NJ and believe it or not most of the dog attack calls he gets are not from a pit bull.

My son did however get attacked by one when he was younger at a school yard. We later found out that the dog belonged to a known drug dealer. Thank God it was just a puppy but it didn't even respond to the pepper spray the police officer used on him. In fact it got even madder. This dog was being trained to fight and protect the drug den.

On a different note a girl I worked with has a pit and he is the biggest mushiest slobber jaw you ever wanted to meet. She of course spoiled it rotten and raised it to be a gentle giant. So YES it does have alot to do with how it is trained and treated as it is growing up.

Like I said before Nunya, your dogs are so sweet and probably spoiled too. HUH?

“Preggo again! ”

Since: Jan 08

Back in Columbia

#71 Dec 10, 2008
Like I said before Nunya, your dogs are so sweet and probably spoiled too. HUH?

Haha! I do spoil them. I know I shouldn't but I cant help it. They are big baby's
Crystal in Utah too

Pahrump, NV

#72 Dec 22, 2008
Crystal in Utah wrote:
Thank you for this positive report!!! I have a rescued pitbull and a 5 1/2 month old little boy. They are best friends!!! Thanks again.
I agree!! WOW and we are alot alike!
knania

New Baltimore, MI

#74 Feb 5, 2009
My daughter just rescued a 5 month old pit. I was hesitate to allow it in our home, since we have a 5 year old cockapoo and 2 smaller children. Since she's been here she's been such a good dog!! Even with the small kids. She can play a little rough, but my husband and older daughters play rough with her and she's only 5 months old...she wants to play. I don't think she knows her own strength. I didn't trust her at first, but I feel better about it now. It's only been 2 months, but so far so good. I felt like other people before we got her. I thought they were killers and inbreed that way, but I don't believe that now!!
silly beck

Green Bay, WI

#75 Jul 9, 2010
you have no idea have you ever played with or petted a pitbull because then you will know how lovable they are instead you are the typed of people killing this breed off giving them a bad name so how about you get your shit straight before you start making yourself look like a dumbass
DMF

Maxton, NC

#76 Jul 10, 2010
silly beck wrote:
you have no idea have you ever played with or petted a pitbull because then you will know how lovable they are instead you are the typed of people killing this breed off giving them a bad name so how about you get your shit straight before you start making yourself look like a dumbass
i HAD ONE NAMED JUSTICE AOL HE WAS A WORTHLESS CUR. hAPPILY HE DIED RECENTLY.
amanda

Los Angeles, CA

#77 Jan 29, 2011
♥♥PITBULLS ♥♥&#98 29; MAKE AWSOME PETS MY AUNT HAD ONE AND HE WAS THE SWEETEST THING EVER BUT SADLY HE RAN AWAY!
AND FOR ALL OF THOSE JACK ASSES WHO SAY PITBULLS ARE DANGEROUSE ANIMALS AND ARE KILLER.
WELL YOU ALL ARE FULL OF BULLSHIT .
ALL OF THOSE RUMORS ABOUT PITBULLS LIKE : LOCKING JAWS AND HIGHRATE KILLING ARE MYTHS! AND THAT IS A FACT. ALSO PEOPLE ARE BITTEN BY OTHER BREEDS SUCH AS GOLDENS THEN PITBULLS AND THAT IS A FACT
ALSO YOU CAN ALL SUCK ON THIS:
http://www.zootoo.com/petnews/straydogsaveswo...
(go to this link)
Pirata27

Manhattan, KS

#78 Apr 11, 2011
Ignorant... -___-
Ummmm

Cleveland, TN

#80 Oct 22, 2012
Dont like idiots wrote:
Do pit bulls make good pets?
Hell to the NO...they kill an average of 76 people a year, and that does not count the animals that they viciously attack.
It's impossible for pit bulls to kill 76 people a year since only 10-20 people die a year from dog attacks PERIOD in this country. 1/3rd of them are said to be "pit bulls". You are 40 times more likely to die from drowning in a five gallon bucket of water than a pit bull attack. It's just not a big risk.
Also, "pit bull" encompasses three distinct breeds and 20 different breeds of dogs are often confused with pit bulls. the media also selectively reports. If an animal looks remotely like a pit they call it a "pit bull attack" even if it wasn't. If it's a lab-pit mix, they will ignore the lab part and call it a pit bull.
Also, if you want a truly aggressive dog, look up the Presa Canario. These dogs are pure aggression. they look like a pit bull on 'roids. I would bet that at least some of the "pit bull attacks" are actually presa canarios.
Either way, your math is totally wrong. It would be impossible for pit bulls to kill more people than even die a year from dog attacks of all breeds.
You also may not be aware of this but true fact: golden retriever aggression is on the rise. People HAVE died from being attacked by golden retrievers. That is not a joke. It's a result of very poor breeding and lack of training by people who think golden retrievers are "easy dogs". But the media won't report on it except to MAYBE mention the dog responsible was a golden retriever... in the last sentence of the article, and never in the headline.
Meanwhile if it looks even REMOTELY like a pit bull, the headline reads: "Woman mauled to death by pit bull".
The "evil dog du jour" used to be german shepherds, then it was dobermans, then rottweillers, right now it's pit bulls. It's just a media trend like everything else. I hope it passes soon because pits are generally very good dogs.
Ciji

United States

#81 Nov 3, 2013
Pitbulls are very loyal and make awesome family pets if you raise them right
So if you have never even owned one then you really shouldnt talk bad about them in my opinion
I have had many pitbulls in my life and they were ALL such sweethearts
I have one now as a matter of fact and love him very much (:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) 7 hr Shadow 1,507
Michael Vick:: Does the punishment fit the crime? (Apr '09) Thu LAWEST100 583
Poll Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Nov 29 LAWEST100 5,680
News Trump chooses racial conciliator in UN pick Nik... Nov 25 Bigrev608 1
Moving Nov 20 Cam93 1
News Judge: People Aren't Showing Up For Jury Duty (Jul '07) Nov 17 Dale 54
News Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: What it means to be black ... Nov 11 USA Today 1

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance