Do Pit Bulls Make Good Pets?

Full story: WLTX Columbia 72
In our state, deputies say it's clear there's a problem here. Since last November, officers have uncovered at least five known dogfighting rings, including two large ones in Sumter and Richland Counties. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Janelle

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Oct 4, 2007
Thank you so much for putting a positive word out there about pit bulls. They truly are loving and loyal dogs!
Crystal in Utah

Logan, UT

#2 Oct 5, 2007
Thank you for this positive report!!! I have a rescued pitbull and a 5 1/2 month old little boy. They are best friends!!! Thanks again.
Beck

Lexington, SC

#3 Oct 5, 2007
Lets see,.....

One feel good social piece on the opinios of a pair of Pbull owners versus the nemerous daily reports of verified documented pitbull attacks.
oh yeah...lovely breed.
kel

Fountain, NC

#4 Oct 9, 2007
Beck wrote:
Lets see,.....
One feel good social piece on the opinios of a pair of Pbull owners versus the nemerous daily reports of verified documented pitbull attacks.
oh yeah...lovely breed.
Read the statistics Other dogs are more dangerous that the pitbull. Punish the deed not the breed.
Beck

Swansea, SC

#5 Oct 10, 2007
kel wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the statistics Other dogs are more dangerous that the pitbull. Punish the deed not the breed.
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present.(Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

-from dogbitelaws.com
Howz that research for ya??
Cathy from Ohio

Waverly, OH

#7 Oct 10, 2007
I'm happy to see a positive article about pit bulls! We have a pit bull and a yorkie and our yorkie is far more ferocious and aggressive than our sweet 60lb. pit bull!!
NOT AGAIN

Columbia, SC

#9 Oct 10, 2007
Cathy from Ohio wrote:
I'm happy to see a positive article about pit bulls! We have a pit bull and a yorkie and our yorkie is far more ferocious and aggressive than our sweet 60lb. pit bull!!
Did you actually read the report. Pit bulls are more likely to maim and kill than other dogs. If you think this report is positive, we'll see you in court in the very near future.
Beck

Swansea, SC

#10 Oct 10, 2007
Cathy from Ohio wrote:
The problem is your yorkie is incapable of inflicting as much damage as your pitbull.
Amy

United States

#12 Oct 10, 2007
I just like to say the pits can be great family dogs! I have a 2 & 4 yr old and Bella (our blue pit) is a great family pet. I also own a pug which he is way more agressive then Bella.Pit bulls have just gotten a bad rap. I blame any bad habits on the owners. Dogs only learn what their owner teaches them. If you love them and show them love then they will love in return
Beck

Swansea, SC

#13 Oct 10, 2007
Amy wrote:
I just like to say the pits can be great family dogs! I have a 2 & 4 yr old and Bella (our blue pit) is a great family pet. I also own a pug which he is way more agressive then Bella.Pit bulls have just gotten a bad rap. I blame any bad habits on the owners. Dogs only learn what their owner teaches them. If you love them and show them love then they will love in return
Let's hope your children do not pay the price for your delusions. There is incident after incident reported in which someone is mauled or killed by a dog, and invariably there is no history of " agression " on the part of the animal. The first act of agression can be life altering or fatal. At that point, " Im sorry, he's never done this before" just does not cut it. Your Pug may be agressive but how much damage can he seriously do?
pit bulls

United States

#14 Oct 10, 2007
probably could be a good family dog if they were trained to be just that. I see way too many dirtbags and uneducated people raising them to be mean and they think that it is cool. What a shame.
wein

Lexington, SC

#15 Oct 10, 2007
Beck wrote:
<quoted text>
Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present.(Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.
According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."
-from dogbitelaws.com
Howz that research for ya??
I think the reason Pitt Bulls and Rottweilers cause more maiming and deaths in an attack is because they are very strong & poweful dogs, that strenght & power does not make a dog vicious it's temperament. There are a lot of small dogs that could or should be listed as dangerous or viscious, but no-one gives them a thought because they can only tear up your legs, or a childs face.
Beck

Swansea, SC

#16 Oct 10, 2007
wein wrote:
<quoted text>I think the reason Pitt Bulls and Rottweilers cause more maiming and deaths in an attack is because they are very strong & poweful dogs, that strenght & power does not make a dog vicious it's temperament. There are a lot of small dogs that could or should be listed as dangerous or viscious, but no-one gives them a thought because they can only tear up your legs, or a childs face.
OK . To make this a simple as possible:
The most friendly, gregarious, and charming person in the world can have a bad day. The same goes for animals. In the event that a yorkie and a pit bull are both having bad days, which would you rather have locked in a room with you?? Yorkie? Kick them in the face and they will back off. Pit Bull? Try to kick them in the face and lose your leg.
Todd

Abbeville, SC

#18 Oct 10, 2007
My sister has 2 pit bulls. They stay in the house except when they are let out to go to bathroom and run around for a few minutes. They are the most loveable dogs and are nothing but big puppies.

I think alot of the way some pit bulls are has to do with how they are raised or trained.

Also, I wonder how many of the times these dogs were provoked or picked at. It can't all be blamed on the dogs.
tasha

United States

#20 Oct 11, 2007
I have owned and raised pitbulls all of my life. I am 31 years old. I now own 3 pitbulls and I have one and each one of my daughters have their own. My kids and I personally trained all of our animals. They have never attacked anyone nor have they ever left our yard when they are roaming the yard.i think that they make great pets. My pets also put the fun in my 2 girls birthday parties each year. All my neices and nephews love them and wants me to breed so they can get a puppy. It is all about the person who owns the pet!
Beck

Swansea, SC

#21 Oct 11, 2007
tasha wrote:
I have owned and raised pitbulls all of my life. I am 31 years old. I now own 3 pitbulls and I have one and each one of my daughters have their own. My kids and I personally trained all of our animals. They have never attacked anyone nor have they ever left our yard when they are roaming the yard.i think that they make great pets. My pets also put the fun in my 2 girls birthday parties each year. All my neices and nephews love them and wants me to breed so they can get a puppy. It is all about the person who owns the pet!
There are many reports of " Nice " people with " nice " dogs who are shocked those dogs attack them or family members.

Since: Feb 07

Orangeburg, SC

#22 Oct 11, 2007
My best friend, an 8 year old pitbull that I raised from 3 weeks (mother pushed off litter early) recently died of health complications. He was the best pet I have ever had. I have 5 sons and he was protective of all of them. I never had a single problem with him. Obediant, loyal, smart, protective...yes, pitbulls DO make excellent pets...the problems occur when idiots own them and insist on raising them to fight and/or be aggressive. I would not trade the time I had with my pit for anything in the world...he will be sorely missed.

“Don't Worry, Be Happy”

Since: Apr 07

Smile...Someone loves you!

#23 Oct 11, 2007
I am sure the next person maimed by a Pit Bull will enjoying reading this article while recovering in the Hospital. (haha)
Dont like idiots

Charlotte, NC

#24 Oct 11, 2007
Do pit bulls make good pets?

Hell to the NO...they kill an average of 76 people a year, and that does not count the animals that they viciously attack.

Since: Feb 07

Orangeburg, SC

#25 Oct 11, 2007
Dont like idiots wrote:
Do pit bulls make good pets?
Hell to the NO...they kill an average of 76 people a year, and that does not count the animals that they viciously attack.
I would love to know where you got the average number that you use in your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Tue juegoskizi 30
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Tue juegoskizi 86
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Naked Couple Fall Off Building in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec 10 Dr Rocky 28
Transgender Teen Sues DMV Over Driver's License... Dec 9 DarbyAl 3
sc child support and visitation guidelines (Nov '06) Dec 8 Your crazy 537
NAACP vows stronger Confederate flag fight in S.C. (Jan '10) Dec 8 Suebi212 8,498
Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:37 am PST

NBC Sports11:37AM