"No Kill" Animal Shelter in Planning Stages

Feb 27, 2008 Read more: WLTX Columbia 57
Richland County officials say a "no kill" animal shelter is being planned for both Richland and Lexington counties. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ASH

Columbia, SC

#1 Feb 27, 2008
IT'S ABOUT TIME! LEXINGTON COUNTY IS SO SLACK!!!

“There's no vaccine for stupid.”

Since: Feb 08

Here, there, everywhere

#2 Feb 27, 2008
fabulous

“I hate Fish...”

Since: Aug 07

Columbia, SC

#3 Feb 27, 2008
I'm assuming it means no kill for animals that are left there too long and not no kill for those animals that are truely suffering (for ex. have heart worms). Does anyone know if this is the case or not?
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#4 Feb 27, 2008
As long as they don't put the pet nazis in charge of it.You know the ones,they run some of the local private shelters around town.It's less hassle to adopt a child than a pet around here.
MEME

Lake City, SC

#5 Feb 27, 2008
Lonewolf wrote:
As long as they don't put the pet nazis in charge of it.You know the ones,they run some of the local private shelters around town.It's less hassle to adopt a child than a pet around here.
AND CHEAPER, TOO

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#6 Feb 27, 2008
Lessa wrote:
I'm assuming it means no kill for animals that are left there too long and not no kill for those animals that are truely suffering (for ex. have heart worms). Does anyone know if this is the case or not?
The details on it are not fully clear yet, but the goal would be to rehabilitate (if necessaary) and prepare animals for adoption. I'm also wondering what the plan is for animals in the event that they either can not be rehabilitaed or do have some sort of life-threatening disease...
ASH

Columbia, SC

#7 Feb 27, 2008
MEME wrote:
<quoted text>AND CHEAPER, TOO
Some of you are simply unreal! Animals die everyday at the hands of irresponsible pet owners. The ones that can be saved must have their shots, HW test (many have HW and must undergo treatment) not to mention being spayed or neutered,etc. The shelters/rescues are not out to make money! Why don't you walk a month in their shoes and listen to individuals such as yourself b i t c h & moan about a $200.00 fee to adopt an animal. You'll soon realize, the rescues are struggling just to make ends meet. Rescues get into rescuing because of their love for animals and wanting to try and make a difference in this cruel world! Many individuals will say, "Why should I pay $200.00 for a dog when I can get a puppy for that?" Well, there inlies the problem. Puppy mill breeders love people like you because you keep the demand for puppies up which in turn, keeps them in business. It's the poor animals who suffer. We recently adopted a female who had been used as a breeder all of her life. She was blind, partially deaf and her nails were so long they were curling back into her pads. She was dumped at the shelter when she was of no longer use. It's estimated she's 9 and has had close to 20 litters during her life. Some quality life for her huh? Well, she's got a quality life now for the rest of her years. Why don't you go volunteer for a rescue on the weekends to see what it's truly all about. Maybe then, you'll have a new, enlightened respect for what these people do and all without a paycheck!
ASH

Columbia, SC

#8 Feb 27, 2008
Lessa wrote:
First of all, heartworms are curable. They are expensive to treat, but curable. Certainly though, if the animal is in pain and is not able to be helped, then yes, they would euthanize as the goal is happy, healthy animals. Unfortunately, due to irresponsible pet owners, this is not always the outcome a rescurer will see.
Trudge

Swansea, SC

#9 Feb 27, 2008
By the time I finish checking my email, and get back to this site, I am sure I will be crucified.

HOW DARE RICHLAND COUNTY SPEND 1.5 MILLION ON ANIMALS when they have gang problems, education problems, police problems, early childcare problems!!!!!!!!
ASH

Columbia, SC

#10 Feb 27, 2008
Trudge wrote:
By the time I finish checking my email, and get back to this site, I am sure I will be crucified.
HOW DARE RICHLAND COUNTY SPEND 1.5 MILLION ON ANIMALS when they have gang problems, education problems, police problems, early childcare problems!!!!!!!!
Let's see, Gangs can kill each other so no problem there, Education - parents be responsible for your children, there whereabouts, making sure projects are completed, ensuring homework is done, Early Childcare - Again, parents taking an interest in their children and quit having babies single moms and then expecting society to pay for their care, education, medical, etc.

These poor animals have no one. Damn straight something needs to be done for them. If you don't like it, then move out of the county.
Trudge

Swansea, SC

#11 Feb 27, 2008
ASH wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, Gangs can kill each other so no problem there, Education - parents be responsible for your children, there whereabouts, making sure projects are completed, ensuring homework is done, Early Childcare - Again, parents taking an interest in their children and quit having babies single moms and then expecting society to pay for their care, education, medical, etc.
These poor animals have no one. Damn straight something needs to be done for them. If you don't like it, then move out of the county.
You could do the same thing with private donations, or are you too cheap to give up a dollar to help? Me, if I see a stray, I do my part. That is why I carry my .22 with a scope. One in the head and no more suffering...
Trudge

Swansea, SC

#12 Feb 27, 2008
Just kidding about shooting them. Thought that would rile some of you up pretty good. My problem is this is not a necessay county function. Why does everyone want their "pet" project funded, but then raise h**l when taxes go up. Again, I am all for the project if it is privately funded. I'll even donate. Just don't increase the tax burden for animals.
Dirty Old Man

Columbia, SC

#13 Feb 27, 2008
Trudge wrote:
Just kidding about shooting them. Thought that would rile some of you up pretty good. My problem is this is not a necessay county function. Why does everyone want their "pet" project funded, but then raise h**l when taxes go up. Again, I am all for the project if it is privately funded. I'll even donate. Just don't increase the tax burden for animals.
I'm with you all the way man! And don't apologize for shooting strays. Once a stray comes in my yard and makes itself a nuisance - I am well within my rights as a citizen to exercise said rights on my own property. PETA be dammed! They would turn us all into vegan sheep "lovers."

And with all the strays in the city/county it won't be long before your $1.5 million facility is overcrowded!- whatcha gonna do with them then? I mean, this world cannot continue to support this much life - let something die for Pete's sake! The world will continue without Fido and there will be about 100lbs less dog sh*t for every one that dies.

Feed them to the homeless or something, I'm sure they're hungry enough, geez. You all care more about some stupid animals than you do about the homeless. Why isn't there a $1.5 million facility for them? The same people crying about "animal rights" are the same sorry *ss people who won't lift a finger to help a homeless person. You all make me sick! "But the animals are helpless, they have no voice!" Bullcr*p! They have more people fighting for them than the poor do!
duh

Columbia, SC

#14 Feb 27, 2008
ASH wrote:
<quoted text>
Preferably Berkeley, eh? Go choke on tofu. Tell me the last time an animal researched a cure for a disease... won a nobel prize... etc
GLC1958

Columbia, SC

#15 Feb 27, 2008
ASH wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of you are simply unreal! Animals die everyday at the hands of irresponsible pet owners. The ones that can be saved must have their shots, HW test (many have HW and must undergo treatment) not to mention being spayed or neutered,etc. The shelters/rescues are not out to make money! Why don't you walk a month in their shoes and listen to individuals such as yourself b i t c h & moan about a $200.00 fee to adopt an animal. You'll soon realize, the rescues are struggling just to make ends meet. Rescues get into rescuing because of their love for animals and wanting to try and make a difference in this cruel world! Many individuals will say, "Why should I pay $200.00 for a dog when I can get a puppy for that?" Well, there inlies the problem. Puppy mill breeders love people like you because you keep the demand for puppies up which in turn, keeps them in business. It's the poor animals who suffer. We recently adopted a female who had been used as a breeder all of her life. She was blind, partially deaf and her nails were so long they were curling back into her pads. She was dumped at the shelter when she was of no longer use. It's estimated she's 9 and has had close to 20 litters during her life. Some quality life for her huh? Well, she's got a quality life now for the rest of her years. Why don't you go volunteer for a rescue on the weekends to see what it's truly all about. Maybe then, you'll have a new, enlightened respect for what these people do and all without a paycheck!
Thank you ASH! We must speak for the animals that can't speak for themselves. I, over the years, have rescued two "stray dogs" and three "stray cats". They've turned out to be the best companion pets I've had. I thank the Lord every day for folks, like you, to speak up for these helpless furbabies.
Jack Black

Lexington, SC

#16 Feb 27, 2008
Trudge wrote:
well, Guess waht your tax burden will go up signifigantltly if we elect a dumocrat.
Yvette Sorenson

Blythewood, SC

#17 Feb 27, 2008
I love the idea. It was always sad that just because the animal didn't get adopted in so many days he couldn't live. None of it's circumstance was its fault. I hope when this comes about I can find a job working with the animals.

“We Go Play Hoop”

Since: Jul 07

Falls Church, VA

#18 Feb 27, 2008
You all are missing something... 1.5 Million is Richland county's portion. Lexington will be spending money, and some portion is supposed to be privately funded. This is a joint venture between the two counties and the total cost is actually 4 million...
Trudge

Swansea, SC

#20 Feb 27, 2008
Spot On wrote:
You all are missing something... 1.5 Million is Richland county's portion. Lexington will be spending money, and some portion is supposed to be privately funded. This is a joint venture between the two counties and the total cost is actually 4 million...
You are right. Let's find another way to waste my and your hard earned money that the government steals from us.
paula pound

Columbia, SC

#21 Feb 27, 2008
this is a two way street. the animals have no one to speak for them and the abused children have no voice what is the cut off point so that all get help . people seemto care more about animals than human life. animals are not human instead of treating them as if they are so special take the same consideration for the next human beingand drop some of that special treatment on the human,. thats the way god intended. animals are lower than humans treat them fair, but treat humans with exceptional care

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Read about the 3 Hebrew Boys and CCG (Jun '07) 14 hr Fax 2,530
Review: Auditory Disorders Center Sat Esoteric 1
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Thu Jukebox 511
Review: Anytime Fitness (Apr '09) Apr 15 Sean 139
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Apr 13 jstrong196 37
Media Ignores the Abuse Police Experience in Se... Apr 13 Culture Auditor 1
Dr Martin Luther King Jr Died For Nothing!!!!! Apr 12 Steel 3
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE