sc child support and visitation guide...
a mother for life

Columbia, SC

#22 May 14, 2007
SC only charges a surcharge if paid through the court. In which a father that pays his bills on time will not have to pay. YOU ARE WRONG, SC does not make money from fathers that pay child support on time!!!!!
Shante

New York, NY

#23 May 16, 2007
Sometimes "people" aren't greedy, they get what they're entitled to. In my case, I tried to reach an agreement with my daughter's father, and he wanted to rant and rave. I asked him for $600 a month, he told me that was too much money. My daughter's day care is $600+ a month. I felt like I was being more than fair. He moved back in with his mother after I put him out (due to cheating) so at that point, I wasn't concerned about what was going on with him. When we went to Court, the Judge ordered him to pay $850 a month. He could have worked things out with me but chose not to. Once he was ordered to pay, he made two payments and stopped. I didn't received anything for two months. SCU (Support Collection Unit) caught up with him, and started deducting $862.50 per pay check. He caused all of that on himself. I wasn't trying to clean him out, I was simply trying to take care of my children. For some odd reason, he is paying $1150 now. He is really angry, that's like one pay check coming to me. Some people don't want to communicate and work things out, they just want to bicker and remain angry. I still to this day can't understand why "he" is angry with me. He cheated on me, he broke his family up. He wouldn't be going through any of this had he just did the right thing. Karma follows you.
Michael

AOL

#24 May 20, 2007
Can you tell me of any attorneys that work pro bono in Columbia SC? If not where can I find court protocol for SC to represent myself? Please Reply, any info greatly appreciated
Kelly wrote:
I believe some tall tales are being told here but anyway I do have some advice. If you can't afford an attorney, find one that will work for you pro bono, or represent yourself. You don't have to be an attorney to approach the courts, you can act pro se. All you need to do is study up on what is court protocol. It is not HARD, Trust me, been there, and done that, successfully. All it cost me was the filing fee with the court and the expenses I incurred mailing the copies to my spouse. I faced the judge and things were worked out.
Also, SC does NOT make money off of child support payments. They charge a small fee for their administration costs to disburse the money and that is hardly income for them. If anything, it is a loss to the state. If you paid directly on time, there would be no need to go through the courts, now, would there? Maybe some of you see yourself in this post.
Truth hurts sometime.
SC single mom

Greer, SC

#25 Jun 4, 2007
Some point on both sides are true but some are wrong...when I went to court with my ex they used his income and and mine to determain how much my daughter would receive..about $80 a week (which was not much out of his pocket considering his bills and income) But now that he has a new wife hes wanting to have the amount ajusted cause his cost of living went up (cause she wont work and he's paying for both of them)....Guess what so has mine but soes that matter HECK no..i still have the same job same income and a growing girl that always need something and 80 a week dont cover her needs (food for her alone cost that not to mention the latest fashion trend) And he doesnt under stand that all he see is his pay check thats 80 light cause it goes to his daughter he last saw when she was 8 months old...and I'm not the single mom with the new house and car that i bought using child support but he still thinks he gives to much...all you dad who have the new family and think your child support payment is to much just remember how much you would spend on your child if you had them all the time 24/7 the cost of rasing a child dont change just cause you got a new family it just keeps going up the older they get and collage aint cheap...and to you moms how get a good amount remember thats you childs money not yours its for the things they need use it for what they need (school suppies, food, and the occasional weekend activity with there friends) and save the rest your child is gonna need it one day (first car, collage, and god only knows what eles) be glad your child is getting it alot of them arent..
Tired of the Drama

Boone, NC

#26 Jun 9, 2007
I receive child support for my children, but this man is in and out of prison. He is $15, 000 in the rears. How is he able to pay this to my children? It will never happen in this lifetime. Now, the children does not want to have a relationship with him at all. I would rather for him to sign his rights over and be done with it. He was triffling about paying child support in the beginning and you see how much he is behind. It is a headache I can do without.
concerned dad

Bay Minette, AL

#27 Jun 12, 2007
I would love to know who we get in contact with to start some kind of legal reform. These laws are outdated and the best we have is attempts at being bombarded with higher and higher payments. What makes these mothers continue with their greed is the law they have behind them encouraging it. Hard work is something everyone should experience, not just fathers who love their children.
a new wife

Nicholasville, KY

#28 Jun 12, 2007
it's very unfair for good men to get shafted. my husband has a beautiful son. who i love also. when we first met he had his car repoed, credit companies hounding him. he had to file bankruptsey. And it's unfair to the new wife because i want kids, i want all the things married couples want. but we cant afford to even have children. while were poor she's up there blowing all the child support money on toys and junk instead of his future. it's very frustrating for new wives also. the new wives also get shafted
Pissed off Stepmom

United States

#29 Jun 13, 2007
I have been with my husband for over 5 years. We have custody of his 3 kids plus my 3 kids. We do not receive any of the court ordered child support for any of our kids.

I work full time and we both attend college full time. We sit here with all these kids struggling to even feed them. Shes over $33,000 behind in 4 years time and the state has done nothing about it.

What makes me so mad is that she is only ordered to pay $500.50 for 3 kids a month and she hasnt even made an attempt to pay anything for them, but she can call me and threaten me. I am raising her kids and I love them more than anything...just like my own. The state did issue a warning to her about harassing me but they wont enforce her child support??

I just wish that the law was the same for everyone and not just whom they feel they should enforce it upon.
Lost Single Dad

Palmetto, FL

#30 Jun 13, 2007
Jack I need to speak to you. I want to go for custody as well. I think I have a good chance but I want to learn from someone that has been through it. My child is not born yet, but the mother is being very difficult. I am much more stable in all avenues of my life than her. I don't want to post my email. I will check back to see if you respond.

Thanks.. Anonymous Lost Single Dad
Jack wrote:
I paid my support for the first yr as i was ordered.The whole time she was trying to turn my daughter against me.I had only 1 solution, lawyer up and go for custody. Its was very expensive(10K) but i have my daughter now.BTW she dont pay ANY support now that the shoe is on the other foot.I cant justify having her arrested at this time , but her day will come when my daughter is much older. She is 6 now and i would rather she leave us alone then have her arrested.
Single Mom in SC

Augusta, GA

#31 Jun 25, 2007
I am a single mother of 3 children, and I receive $50.00 a week in child support from my ex for my youngest son. I have not received a dime in support for my two oldest children who are 12 and 14. I work 40 hours a week at a medical office filing insurance claims for patients and I clean the same office on weekends, and I can barely make ends meat. I just asked that my ex pay $23.00 more a week in support, and he balked at the idea. He does not pay health care, buy anything for him, or offer to pay half on anything. Everything comes out of my pocket, and with two other children to support, it is puts a strain on my checkbook each month.

It angers me when fathers complain about supporting their children. Noone heard a complaint out of them when they were making the child, did we? Yet, it's an inconvenience to them to take care of their child properly. Quit complaining, and be men and take care of your kids!!!! Just because you no longer live with them, don't assume you are no longer responsible for them. They are your responsibility until they reach adulthood and can support themselves. Don't assume it's all the mother's responsibility.
Brenda

Herndon, VA

#32 Jul 10, 2007
You are so stupid!!! Do you think you're not supposed to support your children? if you were taking care of them to start with then she would have never put you on child support. She didn't do anything, you did it to yourself. Now stop whining!!!! And man the fuck up!!!!
GG from Tennessee

Antioch, TN

#33 Jul 13, 2007
I'm curious about what the law is in SC regarding a father being able to have visitation with his infant daughter. The couple were never married. They are now living apart and he pays the mother a rather large sum of money for the child's support each month. However, the mother only lets him see the child once a week at church! Once in a while he might get to see her at another time in addition to church. Sometimes she goes out of town and doesn't even bother telling him she is going somewhere with their child. Does anyone have any input or suggestions? Thank you!
South Carolina Mom

Spartanburg, SC

#34 Jul 15, 2007
PissedOffMilitaryWife wrote:
What is up with all the STUPID MONEY GREEDY MOTHERS in SC! Maybe they should all be rounded up and shot!!!!
My husband pays $600 for one child. We have to fly to pick him up then rent a car to go get him and fly back. EACH WAY! AND WE LIVE IN GERMANY!
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS STUPID STATE!!
We took her to court because the child is MAJORLY underdeveloped. We won but she has taken us back to court for court costs and we have to now pay her to get her act together. She si 30 and lives with her mom. He mom pays for everything while she sits on her FAT butt and smokes her life away. My kids go without so his one child's mother can HAVE IT ALL!!!!
It seems that you have other issues. Life is too short to be mad at the world. His other child deserves as much as yours. If she does not give the money to the child, then he will grow up and resent his mother for not taking care of him like she was supposed to. Your anger will not solve anything. Besides this child lives in South Carolina not in Germany.
South Carolina Mom

Spartanburg, SC

#35 Jul 15, 2007
Bill wrote:
Kelly, What UNIVERSE are you in?? In SC, not only does the court charge a 5% surcharge on support (Which an ex-wife can get regardless of if you pay on time or not) but when you present canceled checks of when they were cashed as proof, the court does not even want to look at them!!! Support IS NOT based on your ability to pay or what the ACTUAL cost of adding one more person to the custodial parents home is!!! SOME Communist/liberal/lesbian/woma ns rights group advocate applies huge amounts of money and lobby efforts to convince the courts and law makers that all men are the great evil, when it is in fact that the women of SC and just about every attorney in the state that have NO limits to there greed and desire to destroy the American family or anything that resembles the ideal of the American family. As for not having an attorney, well obiviously you never tried to get anything done in family court as a man. Walk a mile baby .....before you start shooting off your mouth from someone else's shoes!!! Can you say STUPID Bi$%H??? The state guidlines are to vauge, the law is too slanted, the support is too much, the visitation is too little, the courts are too tainted, the ex-wives are to petty and the attorneys are to greedy!!! In the end...... we will each be judged by how well we have kept God's LAW, not how well we have kept man's law. Hell will be filled with judges, attorneys and women of the United States of America and probably many other western nations!!! Have a GOOD TIME THERE!!:-)
With this type of attitude you need to stay up north.
Another Dad

Columbia, SC

#36 Aug 6, 2007
I agree with most of what is said here. The court does NOT look at expenses, debts, etc. They only look at income. My ex wife and I had tons of credit card debts in my name and I got stuck with it all. Now she lives with her parents, no bills except car payment and I pay her almost as much as her job does.
I get to see my son every other weekend. She uses my son to get money out of me. Anytime there is an issue of what I should be paying, she tells me that I need to support him too. I pay my child support, I carry insurance, I pay most of the medical bills, but she can't afford to buy him clothes, or school supplies. She sends him here in clothes that are too small so I will buy new ones. I am not as petty as to send him home in the same clothes. She is a money hungry B. I can barely get by on what I bring home. All the dads need to stand together and stop hiring lawyers and hire a lobbyist. The law needs to change. I believe that if you both are good parents and live in the same town then you should have 50/50 custody. IF not then someone should get three weekends to the other's one.
Dads that do the right thing get crapped on. That is a fact.
Another Dad

Columbia, SC

#37 Aug 6, 2007
Single Mom in SC wrote:
I am a single mother of 3 children, and I receive $50.00 a week in child support from my ex for my youngest son. I have not received a dime in support for my two oldest children who are 12 and 14. I work 40 hours a week at a medical office filing insurance claims for patients and I clean the same office on weekends, and I can barely make ends meat. I just asked that my ex pay $23.00 more a week in support, and he balked at the idea. He does not pay health care, buy anything for him, or offer to pay half on anything. Everything comes out of my pocket, and with two other children to support, it is puts a strain on my checkbook each month.
It angers me when fathers complain about supporting their children. Noone heard a complaint out of them when they were making the child, did we? Yet, it's an inconvenience to them to take care of their child properly. Quit complaining, and be men and take care of your kids!!!! Just because you no longer live with them, don't assume you are no longer responsible for them. They are your responsibility until they reach adulthood and can support themselves. Don't assume it's all the mother's responsibility.
So he should pay for his kid and the other two? I take care of my son. I do more than most dads. My complaint is that financial situations are not taken into account at all. IT is straight by the book. I would GLADLY switch places with my ex. I would love to have custody of my son and she could keep her damn money. I need a part time job to make ends meet in addition to my regular job, but why bother, she'd only get most of that too. I didn't fight for custody b/c my son didn't need that too. His parents were already splitting up. I was the bigger person. I just think there are too many women out there that use the kids to get money. I know there are a ton of Dads out there that don't pay crap, or get laid off when it is time to calculate child support or get paid under the table. NO excuse for that, those guys and the moms that use the kids should be locked up. And to the woman who thinks the kid will grow up thinking the mom didn't take care of them...BS, she will just say Daddy didn't give me any money..I had a friend who went through that for years, and didn't speak to her dad b/c of it. IT wasn't until she was an adult that he showed her canceled check after canceled check. HE kept until mom died. didn't want mom to be hated...The FACT is in SC women get what they want in FAMILY COURT. Always do. My ex took all the furniture from the apartment and even the food in the fridge when we split, judge didn't say jack. I don't think all women are like that, thank god, but they are out there.
concerned parent

Hialeah, FL

#38 Aug 6, 2007
Is it really fair that a guy has to pay $1500 in child support for one child each month in NY when he is actually with his kid more time out of the year then his wife is and knowing that the wife,(soon to be ex), abuses the kid and spends the money on clothes to the point that she is behind on her rent payments, which in fact is less than the total cost of the child support she receives each month?

All my friends going through divorce, woman and men, have convinced me that having a child is a sin, that it will corrupt your values as a pesron, destroy your life and if you are a man it will send you to the bottom where you will never be able to stand back up. The law is completely in favor of the woman so much so that it is justified discrimintaion! Why don't we just make a law that if the couple is black and white that the white person recieves custody over the black person and see if this sounds fair.
SingleMominSC

Gaffney, SC

#40 Sep 3, 2007
I have seen both sides of this situation. I have brothers who have gone through divorces and have seen what a nasty, vindictive woman can do, but I've also seen my own X choose a girlfriend over his children and not give one iota if they were taken care of or not.

He has paid the same amount of support since 1995 yet the cost of living has tripled. Remember when gas was less than a buck a gallon? He likes to make comments to my kids about where "all his money goes". Well for starters, for YEARS it went to pay daycare so I could work and pay the OTHER bills.

This year he contributed $80 towards school clothes. Have any of you been able to purchase a wardrobe for a child for $160? That's calculating him paying half and me paying half. By the way, he's remarried and his wife makes good money so she's contributing to his living expenses. His lousy $80 paid for two pairs of decent, non name brand sneakers. That's IT.

I've worked full time my entire adult life. I do not go out, I do not buy new clothes, etc. we barely get to a movie every couple of months and when we do, something else isn't getting paid so we can. I cry myself to sleep at night because my kids have nothing. Every dime goes into living expenses. We've moved 15 times in 10 years because I can't always afford the rent.

Do you have ANY idea what it's like to worry every second about where the rent money is coming from? Oh, you may worry about it for yourself, but try that times three? My X hands me a postal money order each week that practically takes an acto of congress to get cashed and he considers his job done. DONE. He has NO IDEA what it's like to raise two children because he's never attempted it.

I do think some dads get the shaft, but you talk about all single moms as if they are scum of the earth and you have no friggin' idea what we go through. YOU try being responsible for someone other than yourself and see how it feels. Most of us didn't ask to be single mothers.
Sick of Foolishness

AOL

#41 Sep 4, 2007
The attitudes of most men can are represented in this forum. The bottom line is it took two people to make the child so why is one stuck taking care of the child. If we are totally honest, its because of non supporting and absent fathers that kids are in the predicaments that they are in right now. If fathers would grow up and stop blaming mom for everything and help raise their children, many of the the young kids we see dying would still be alive. When fathers dont take active roles in their lives, it sends them searching to find acceptance and love in other places. Gangs are to boys what teenage pregnancy is to girls a way to have someone love you supposedly unconditionally. When we recognize this and start standing up and caring for our children and stop treating them like bills, the violence will decrease, and the crime rates will go down because their levls of integrity will increase and their self esteem. If fathers are going to lobby, it should be to have the right to be labeled good fatehrs and not to decrease child support payments. Sure some of it is not fair, but if your child is eating, sleeping, being transported and going to school you should consider it money well spent. The title of deadbeat should not onlyy be placed on those fathers who do not pay, but specifically on those who do not participate in their children's raising. Child support and emotional support should go hand in hand, and if the father is not involved with the child, he should be required to pay more than a father who is active, regardless of income. stop whining and man up!!
Boiling Point

Irmo, SC

#42 Sep 5, 2007
Amen, Shante! Karma is a bitch! LOL
My ex owes my oh,$35,000.00
I think Bill needs a pill -anger will get you no-where.
Shante wrote:
Sometimes "people" aren't greedy, they get what they're entitled to. In my case, I tried to reach an agreement with my daughter's father, and he wanted to rant and rave. I asked him for $600 a month, he told me that was too much money. My daughter's day care is $600+ a month. I felt like I was being more than fair. He moved back in with his mother after I put him out (due to cheating) so at that point, I wasn't concerned about what was going on with him. When we went to Court, the Judge ordered him to pay $850 a month. He could have worked things out with me but chose not to. Once he was ordered to pay, he made two payments and stopped. I didn't received anything for two months. SCU (Support Collection Unit) caught up with him, and started deducting $862.50 per pay check. He caused all of that on himself. I wasn't trying to clean him out, I was simply trying to take care of my children. For some odd reason, he is paying $1150 now. He is really angry, that's like one pay check coming to me. Some people don't want to communicate and work things out, they just want to bicker and remain angry. I still to this day can't understand why "he" is angry with me. He cheated on me, he broke his family up. He wouldn't be going through any of this had he just did the right thing. Karma follows you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Arrested on Charges He Had Sex with Boys (Oct '07) Sep 23 Yes He Did it 104
Marie Hicks Inabinett Sep 21 All Night 9
News Resident runs throughout Aiken County for ALS a... (Aug '15) Sep 20 Jeremy Criton 102
News Tommy Pope to resign (Sep '06) Sep 17 robb733 51
News Deputies Find Unregistered Sex Offender Hiding ... (Jan '08) Sep 16 Linda Bolin 50
News Darci Strickland Heads Home - For Now (Mar '07) Sep 9 Barbaramckay50 19
Sandra Carraway : Dishonest School Superintende... Sep 6 Evans PTA 2

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages