sc child support and visitation guide...
Great Stepmom

Raleigh, NC

#309 Jun 1, 2009
Fathers need to take a more active role in their childs life. When a man seperates from the mother of his child for what ever reason, he must determine what is in the best interest of the child. A father should not always allow the mother to be the primary custodial parent simply because she is the mother, a child also needs his father, especially if it is a boy. Fathers must know there rights as a parent and stand up for what is right, that is the only way that courts will stop over looking the rights of fathers.. " STAND UP AND BE HEARD"
Trapped and Scared

Spartanburg, SC

#310 Jun 3, 2009
I have an issue, a girl I was seeing lied to me over the course of a few months about being on birth control and is now pregnant. I've never wanted kids, and I owe over $250,000 on my education (professional school) so times are very tough for me as I start my own practice and there is no way I can afford any child support at this moment. I would have gladly used condoms, but she told me that we didn't need any because she was on the pill and I made the mistake of believing her. She was fully aware of my lack of interest and ability to raise a child from before we ever started dating, but I guess it was more important to her to find a sperm donor than to find a father that would love this child and could support it. That scares me most about her as a person.
What scares me most now about my situation is the child support. My student loans are almost $1000 a month, on top of another $1000 I owe in credit cards, health and car insurance, etc. I'm busting my ass to fall short every month, I live at home with my parents (who are near bankrupt since my father's layoff), and my only car is on its last legs. And now what I'm reading is that not only will the court ignore the fact that I'm making less money than her, but they'll go so far as to assume that since others in my profession are starting at $75,000 per year (that's the very few from my graduating class that were able to find jobs), that my gross income should be set at $75,000 a year. I'm trying like hell to make more than $20,000, but I can't make people walk in my door and give me money. I am willing to do the responsible thing and pay child support, but there is no way I can afford the amount that it looks like I will be assessed.
I've worked hard for 10 years and suffered incredible personal, financial, and emotional sacrifice so that one day my future wife and I could live in comfort, and this woman has stolen it all from me before I could live one single minute of the dream I've worked so hard to achieve. She's stolen my future, and the opportunity to provide for a child in the future (should I change my mind) with a woman I love. All because she wanted a real live baby. For the love of God almighty, this area needs some serious reform. I didn't ask for this, I made her aware of everything about my life, and the only mistake I made was to trust a college-educated woman nearing 30 when she told me she was safe. Does anyone out there have any advice, pointers, or warnings? I'm on this forum for support, not abuse, so please spare any angry comments.
Bonnie

AOL

#311 Jul 20, 2009
JerseyPrincess wrote:
<quoted text> $1450 is not enough to care for 2 children. Remember, the court makes decisions based on facts and evidence that you are my privy to. Don't get caught up in the BS that he's giving you. She can do whatever she wants to do. If there are issues of abuse or neglect of the children then it's something to mention. Otherwise be happy with the man that you are with now... a father that whines about the expenses for his children.
He isn't whining about anything other than the SCstatute reads that daycare is to be work related, and this isn't. He won the charges as the mother was deigned to have lied on her intake form. Otherwise, the charges never would have been filed. This man whines so much about wanting to take good care of his children that he's grateful the mother has allowed the house to go into foreclosure so that he can get the kids full time in his own home. I'm grateful to have a man that does want to provide and hasn't complained a bit about the torture it has been to continue the fight. Perhaps if the mother gets convicted on the ABHAN filed against her a year ago, he might have even more of a chance. In NJ,$1450 is not a lot of money. In SC, it is.
Arwen

Montrose, CO

#312 Jul 20, 2009
I know some folks who should be over here.
Bonnie

AOL

#313 Jul 21, 2009
JerseyPrincess wrote:
<quoted text> $1450 is not enough to care for 2 children. Remember, the court makes decisions based on facts and evidence that you are my privy to. Don't get caught up in the BS that he's giving you. She can do whatever she wants to do. If there are issues of abuse or neglect of the children then it's something to mention. Otherwise be happy with the man that you are with now... a father that whines about the expenses for his children.
This is my brother, who was found not guilty of the charges leveled by an unstable woman. Child support in SC is based on percentages and 1450. is a lot of money here. Had she worked it properly, it would have taken care of her housing, utilities and food. He has never whined about wanting to care for his kids, would care even more if the ex-gf would be a better mother.
Luis Gutierrez

Hiawassee, GA

#314 Jul 23, 2009
i am a father of two children and they are my life ill do anything for them. i was married for 5+ years this Money hungry woman. i was working in my job 75 to 80 hours a week, never got anytime to see her or my children. i put send her to collage for 4 years and it cost me over 50,000 dollars at clemson university. we decide to get a divorce and boy was that's a mistake. she went and empty my bank account to -500 we went to court and the judge order my to pay her alimony which was 1200 a month for a entire year and then on top of that i had to paid 1250 on child support. come on do the math that's 2450 a month.
the only thing i had left was 300 a month. i love my children so much but this is bullshit.
i felt like claiming a fucking tower and do some crazy shit.
then it got much better,they gave her the house and the cars. so now i didnt not have a way to get to work and the stupid bitch requested supervised visitations.
i know it dont take 1200 a month to take care of this great kids. been there done that.
i think south carolina laws are the worst there is.i never had any problems with the law this is BULLSHIT.
every time i see her she is in her 2009 tundra wearing new shit all the time. this is so FUCKED UP.i am a Hispanic that serve in Iraq for 3 year i get back and get this.fuck south carolina and there stupid ass judges. got any comments hit me back. Luis51380@yahoo.com

“Support your Local Warlock”

Since: Feb 08

Where are we again?

#315 Jul 23, 2009
some articles that can help you or give you some insight into South Carolina' s Family law as well as the SC state Child support Calculator .
Hope this helps answer some of your Questions .
I have argued this fact with a few Sc's Family court of law is a money making Racket !
It generates money for the Lawyers the courts and the jails It's a no win situation Your set up from the get go to lose and if you lose your job or get behind you really lose then I have seen men 2 months behind lose their jobs because They got behind their homes vehicles everything Just so the Clerk of court can get her Man !

http://www.state.sc.us/dss/csed/calculator.ht...

http://www.scfamilylaw.com/articles/procedure...
responsiblity

Manning, SC

#316 Jul 24, 2009
My advice for you, is to rearrange your finances, nothing can be done, and it doesn't matter, whether you want to come forth and be a father to this child or not, but you will have to pay financially.
You helped produce a child, then you help take responsiblity in caring for the child. All, I see is blame and self pity here, for yourself. You could have easily have worn a condom, and one should have been used, regardless if she was on the pill or not. You do know, as to why one would wear a condom, don't you. Get another job, or somehow get an accountant to help you, spread your finances.

Bet, you won't be so quick to dip, next time, without protection. Ahhhh, a few minutes of pleasure and a lifetime of fatherhood. Gotta love it!

Grow up, stop blaming and get ready to fork some money over, for the child you helped produce.

P.S. The court will go on your tax return records, and current pay stubs, when paying child support. Cry and tell them, your car is not working and you live with your parents, and it will be to no avail, they don't care. They only care, if the child is taken care of. Get another job and buy some condoms!
Trapped and Scared wrote:
I have an issue, a girl I was seeing lied to me over the course of a few months about being on birth control and is now pregnant. I've never wanted kids, and I owe over $250,000 on my education (professional school) so times are very tough for me as I start my own practice and there is no way I can afford any child support at this moment. I would have gladly used condoms, but she told me that we didn't need any because she was on the pill and I made the mistake of believing her. She was fully aware of my lack of interest and ability to raise a child from before we ever started dating, but I guess it was more important to her to find a sperm donor than to find a father that would love this child and could support it. That scares me most about her as a person.
What scares me most now about my situation is the child support. My student loans are almost $1000 a month, on top of another $1000 I owe in credit cards, health and car insurance, etc. I'm busting my ass to fall short every month, I live at home with my parents (who are near bankrupt since my father's layoff), and my only car is on its last legs. And now what I'm reading is that not only will the court ignore the fact that I'm making less money than her, but they'll go so far as to assume that since others in my profession are starting at $75,000 per year (that's the very few from my graduating class that were able to find jobs), that my gross income should be set at $75,000 a year. I'm trying like hell to make more than $20,000, but I can't make people walk in my door and give me money. I am willing to do the responsible thing and pay child support, but there is no way I can afford the amount that it looks like I will be assessed.
I've worked hard for 10 years and suffered incredible personal, financial, and emotional sacrifice so that one day my future wife and I could live in comfort, and this woman has stolen it all from me before I could live one single minute of the dream I've worked so hard to achieve. She's stolen my future, and the opportunity to provide for a child in the future (should I change my mind) with a woman I love. All because she wanted a real live baby. For the love of God almighty, this area needs some serious reform. I didn't ask for this, I made her aware of everything about my life, and the only mistake I made was to trust a college-educated woman nearing 30 when she told me she was safe. Does anyone out there have any advice, pointers, or warnings? I'm on this forum for support, not abuse, so please spare any angry comments.
responsibility

Manning, SC

#317 Jul 24, 2009
Also, it would be for alls benefit, for you to get a paternity test. If you fight it, and she goes to child support services, they will set up a paternity test, if the child is not yours, you will not have to pay for the test. If the tests, come back and the child is yours, then you will be paying for the test. They will work it in, with your child support payments a bit at a time, until it is paid in full.
Use condoms, it's both of your responsibility, to have birth control and prevent diseases!
Luis Gutierrez wrote:
i am a father of two children and they are my life ill do anything for them. i was married for 5+ years this Money hungry woman. i was working in my job 75 to 80 hours a week, never got anytime to see her or my children. i put send her to collage for 4 years and it cost me over 50,000 dollars at clemson university. we decide to get a divorce and boy was that's a mistake. she went and empty my bank account to -500 we went to court and the judge order my to pay her alimony which was 1200 a month for a entire year and then on top of that i had to paid 1250 on child support. come on do the math that's 2450 a month.
the only thing i had left was 300 a month. i love my children so much but this is bullshit.
then it got much better,they gave her the house and the cars. so now i didnt not have a way to get to work and the stupid bitch requested supervised visitations.
i know it dont take 1200 a month to take care of this great kids. been there done that.
i think south carolina laws are the worst there is.i never had any problems with the law this is BULLSHIT.
every time i see her she is in her 2009 tundra wearing new shit all the time. this is so FUCKED UP.i am a Hispanic that serve in Iraq for 3 year i get back and get this.fuck south carolina and there stupid ass judges. got any comments hit me back. Luis51380@yahoo.com
Crystal

Cicero, NY

#318 Aug 5, 2009
I am a single mom with one son. I am just recently going to be separated and the court has ordered my husband soon to be ex to pay 90 a week. He lives with his parents has no rent and no bills. Meanwhile I have housepayment, car payment, electric, water, insurance and phone. I have no job because my husband wanted me to be stay at home wifey. He is not being forced to pay anything else but 90 a week. How do I survive on that?

Where are we again?

#319 Aug 5, 2009
Crystal wrote:
I am a single mom with one son. I am just recently going to be separated and the court has ordered my husband soon to be ex to pay 90 a week. He lives with his parents has no rent and no bills. Meanwhile I have housepayment, car payment, electric, water, insurance and phone. I have no job because my husband wanted me to be stay at home wifey. He is not being forced to pay anything else but 90 a week. How do I survive on that?
get a job , get on welfare,get on the system . what ever ! you got your kid be thankful of that, You could be the one paying the 90 a week with no job and all the rest you have on you .
get a job and the world will open up in so many ways because you are a single parent.

“SUNDANCE ”

Since: Nov 07

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#320 Aug 5, 2009
Luis Gutierrez wrote:
look into getting into some of that overseas contractor work in Saudi or Kuwait......love your kids from afar, and leave south carolina and the anachristic laws behind. START OVER

“SUNDANCE ”

Since: Nov 07

CAPITAL CREW 1%er

#321 Aug 5, 2009
Crystal wrote:
Nothing good is promised in this life. Go out and make it the way everyone else has to....or patch things up with the husband.
play the violins

Summerton, SC

#322 Aug 6, 2009
Jump up and down and sing hallelujah for that $90.00 a week. Some single parents, get nothing, and I know someone who gets $35.00 a week, and another person who gets 46.67 a week. You want to switch with them?
As for you surviving, go get you some assistance, and get a job. People who make minimum wage survive, so you should be able to too.
Crystal wrote:
Justice

AOL

#323 Aug 6, 2009
tell it to someone who cares sniffling cow.
Crystal wrote:
Bonnie

AOL

#324 Aug 9, 2009
Crystal, remember that it is child support, not parental support. You'll have to do what everyone has to - create your own income.

People confuse the support issue and they think they are entitled to the same lifestyle they had while married or together with the child's other parent. That isn't really true. But in my brother's case, the 1450. could have covered the children's mother's house payment, the utilities and food, had she elected to spend it that way. I know that isn't everything, but the other parent is responsible for supporting the family, too. Then, she got an additional 850. for daycare when she wasn't even working. There wasn't a reason for that additional expense. What, so she can put on her victoria secret bathing suits and run around the beach?

So now she's in foreclosure and bankrupcty, the daycare issue was reduced 50% and she can keep the kids there if she pays the other portion. But nothing keeps her from buying the latest Coach bag or eating in a resturant each night. Some people really just don't want to make the best of what they can with a situation.

Where are we again?

#326 Aug 10, 2009
Here is why child support is so high in south carolina
Some idiots from the dept . of social services and some more idiot Law makers got together and came up with a set amount for people to pay based on what they felt was good for the child now I just looked up what the average income for the average person in south carolina earns and this is total bullshit !
it's no wonder everyone wants to move to south carolina look at the average hourly rate Yeah Right !
Economy, Business, Jobs

* Number of Fortune 500 company headquarters 1 (SCANA)
* Business failure rate 35 per 10,000 concerns (1997)
* Percent union members in manufacturing 3.3 (2007)
* Right-to-work law Yes
* Average hourly earnings in manufacturing $14.93 (March 2006)
* Average hourly earnings for all jobs $12.43 (May 2005)
* Annual personal income per capita $28,285 (2005 - ranked 43rd)
* Annual personal income per capita as a percent of US annual income per capita 82%
* Median household income $39,316 (2005 - ranked 41st)
* Cost of living index rate for Charleston / North Charleston 98.8 (2006)
Cost of living index rate for Columbia 91.6 (2006)
Cost of living index rate for Greenville 91.3 (2006)
Cost of living index rate for Myrtle Beach 94.4 (2006)
Cost of living index rate for Spartanburg 90.4 (2006)
* Number of residents per physician 490 (2005)
* Largest foreign investor country Germany
* Percent employed by foreign-owned companies 8.1 (2004)
* Median value of owner-occupied homes $113,100 (2005 - ranked 39th)
* Percent homes owner-occupied 70.1 (2005 - ranked 17th)
* Average monthly contract rent $611 (2005)
Military man

Norfolk, VA

#327 Aug 21, 2009
Bill, I agree, Kelly is an idiot. First of all, South Carolina State laws prohibits anyone who has not passed the State BAR to represent themself pro se in any matter that is not a criminal matter. Pro Se only applies in South Carolina in Criminal Law. Kelly obviously has never represented herself pro se in family court, and if she did, well, she found herself a crooked judge and offered something her ex couldn't. I do have to say however, that these instances do not only happen to men. I am married to someone who is dealing with issues with her ex-husband who has custody because he was able to strong arm her into not fighting and had blackmailed and scared her away simply because of her lack on knowledge on the legal system in this country. Now that she is fighting back the courts are supporting her ex because he is a resident of South Carolina and is the Custodial parent. No matter how much he disobeys the visitation order or how much he harrasses her he still only recieves a minor talking to. South Carolina is one of the most corrupt states in the country. The favor of South Carolina Courts is not in the children but the costodial parent only.
Bill wrote:
Kelly, What UNIVERSE are you in?? In SC, not only does the court charge a 5% surcharge on support (Which an ex-wife can get regardless of if you pay on time or not) but when you present canceled checks of when they were cashed as proof, the court does not even want to look at them!!! Support IS NOT based on your ability to pay or what the ACTUAL cost of adding one more person to the custodial parents home is!!! SOME Communist/liberal/lesbian/woma ns rights group advocate applies huge amounts of money and lobby efforts to convince the courts and law makers that all men are the great evil, when it is in fact that the women of SC and just about every attorney in the state that have NO limits to there greed and desire to destroy the American family or anything that resembles the ideal of the American family. As for not having an attorney, well obiviously you never tried to get anything done in family court as a man. Walk a mile baby .....before you start shooting off your mouth from someone else's shoes!!! Can you say STUPID Bi$%H??? The state guidlines are to vauge, the law is too slanted, the support is too much, the visitation is too little, the courts are too tainted, the ex-wives are to petty and the attorneys are to greedy!!! In the end...... we will each be judged by how well we have kept God's LAW, not how well we have kept man's law. Hell will be filled with judges, attorneys and women of the United States of America and probably many other western nations!!! Have a GOOD TIME THERE!!:-)

“you know you want me ”

Since: Sep 07

Dodge city

#328 Aug 21, 2009
Military man wrote:
Bill, I agree, Kelly is an idiot. First of all, South Carolina State laws prohibits anyone who has not passed the State BAR to represent themself pro se in any matter that is not a criminal matter. Pro Se only applies in South Carolina in Criminal Law. Kelly obviously has never represented herself pro se in family court, and if she did, well, she found herself a crooked judge and offered something her ex couldn't. I do have to say however, that these instances do not only happen to men. I am married to someone who is dealing with issues with her ex-husband who has custody because he was able to strong arm her into not fighting and had blackmailed and scared her away simply because of her lack on knowledge on the legal system in this country. Now that she is fighting back the courts are supporting her ex because he is a resident of South Carolina and is the Custodial parent. No matter how much he disobeys the visitation order or how much he harrasses her he still only recieves a minor talking to. South Carolina is one of the most corrupt states in the country. The favor of South Carolina Courts is not in the children but the costodial parent only.
<quoted text>
AMEN !!!
dwayne

Columbia, SC

#329 Aug 27, 2009
Eric Knight wrote:
I am a newly married father of 2 beautiful children. I work very hard for my money as well as my new wife. I get my children every other weekend just like the law allows. I have a huge problem with this!!!! I pay 300 dollars a week in child support and hardly can even get by. My ex-wife won't even meet me 1/2 way to pick up and drop off the kids. I live in Columbia, SC and she lives in Lancaster, SC. That is about 100 dollars a month extra in gasoline alone. Not to mention by the time I get off of work and get to my kids its about 8 oclock and then they are sleeping so I don't even get any time with them on Friday evenings. I have battled this over and over and everyones answer is the bi "get an attorney" How am I suppose to get an attorney when I pay all of my money to her??? If it wasn't for my wife I would probably be homeless!!
Its not even fair to my new wife to have to support me that way, but thats the situation I am in. She is a great wife and Loves me and my children and treats them as if she had given birth to them herself. I really would like to some how overcome some of these SC laws some way or another. If there was some way that all of us child support paying fathers that try to do the right thing could all come together like all the other groups in the world and do some good old fashion hell raising at the steps of the state house maybe we would all get somewhere. If there are any of you out there that are sick of being screwed around with email me at guns_n_wrenches@yahoo.com
I don't want to get out of paying support but I think all of us hard working fathers deserve a little more than the state gives.
You can go court and have her meet you half way if she is the one who moved, she is the one who is responsible for making sure the child gets to YOU!!! not the other way around trust me go to court you don't need a lawyer for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DC Circuit Tosses DC's Concealed Carry Ban 15 hr Mr Manfredgensenden 1
the hollows apt complex Mon happy to know 1
Your new 20 cent a gallon tax hike brought to b... Jul 23 New Resident 2
Lindsey Graham is Bisexual (Mar '14) Jul 23 American 6
News Woman pleads guilty to murders (Jul '07) Jul 22 Mee123 385
News Irmo SC Court Drama Jul 21 mill towm 1
News Louisiana Towns Fine People with Sagging Pants (Aug '07) Jul 19 Leah 147

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance