sc child support and visitation guidelines

Posted in the Columbia Forum

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Eric Knight

Elgin, SC

#1 Nov 25, 2006
I am a newly married father of 2 beautiful children. I work very hard for my money as well as my new wife. I get my children every other weekend just like the law allows. I have a huge problem with this!!!! I pay 300 dollars a week in child support and hardly can even get by. My ex-wife won't even meet me 1/2 way to pick up and drop off the kids. I live in Columbia, SC and she lives in Lancaster, SC. That is about 100 dollars a month extra in gasoline alone. Not to mention by the time I get off of work and get to my kids its about 8 oclock and then they are sleeping so I don't even get any time with them on Friday evenings. I have battled this over and over and everyones answer is the bi "get an attorney" How am I suppose to get an attorney when I pay all of my money to her??? If it wasn't for my wife I would probably be homeless!!
Its not even fair to my new wife to have to support me that way, but thats the situation I am in. She is a great wife and Loves me and my children and treats them as if she had given birth to them herself. I really would like to some how overcome some of these SC laws some way or another. If there was some way that all of us child support paying fathers that try to do the right thing could all come together like all the other groups in the world and do some good old fashion hell raising at the steps of the state house maybe we would all get somewhere. If there are any of you out there that are sick of being screwed around with email me at guns_n_wrenches@yahoo.com

I don't want to get out of paying support but I think all of us hard working fathers deserve a little more than the state gives.
Madd Dadd

AOL

#2 Jan 5, 2007
I agree with you 100%. I am remarried and i pay 700 dollars a month for 1 child. I only bring home enough money to pay my bills. I can't buy my new wife flowers or even take her out to eat. Yes I need and want to support my son, but I feel like 700 bucks is a bit too much for one kid. Child support to me is just a tad bit outrageous. how can you survive if you pay this much child support? If it wasn't for my wife I'd be lost.
JAY DEE

Forney, TX

#3 Jan 9, 2007
YES THE AMOUNTS, ARE A LITTLE OVER THE EDGE THEY WANT ME TO PAY HER JUST ABOUT HOW MUCH SHE IS MAKING BY HERSELF. So if thats not sorry for her as a mother and for SC as a State I don't know what is.
Madd Dadd wrote:
I agree with you 100%. I am remarried and i pay 700 dollars a month for 1 child. I only bring home enough money to pay my bills. I can't buy my new wife flowers or even take her out to eat. Yes I need and want to support my son, but I feel like 700 bucks is a bit too much for one kid. Child support to me is just a tad bit outrageous. how can you survive if you pay this much child support? If it wasn't for my wife I'd be lost.
Miguel Salcedo

Redwood Falls, MN

#4 Jan 19, 2007
I Agree 100% with all the comments.. I pay around 600 and pay health insurance.. and am in the same predictament... want to be a part of my son's life.. but mother won't even allow me to pick up from school cause she has to spend the last 10min of her 26 days.. and all I get is 4 days. Meanwhile, she's sitting in a new house, new car..... and can't understand why I would be frustrated with the fact that she won't let me be a part of my childs life.
And don't have the money to pay a lawyer to try and even get more custody...
Jack

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2007
I paid my support for the first yr as i was ordered.The whole time she was trying to turn my daughter against me.I had only 1 solution, lawyer up and go for custody. Its was very expensive(10K) but i have my daughter now.BTW she dont pay ANY support now that the shoe is on the other foot.I cant justify having her arrested at this time , but her day will come when my daughter is much older. She is 6 now and i would rather she leave us alone then have her arrested.
Josie

Mesa, AZ

#6 Jan 24, 2007
you're right.
Eric Knight wrote:
I am a newly married father of 2 beautiful children. I work very hard for my money as well as my new wife. I get my children every other weekend just like the law allows. I have a huge problem with this!!!! I pay 300 dollars a week in child support and hardly can even get by. My ex-wife won't even meet me 1/2 way to pick up and drop off the kids. I live in Columbia, SC and she lives in Lancaster, SC. That is about 100 dollars a month extra in gasoline alone. Not to mention by the time I get off of work and get to my kids its about 8 oclock and then they are sleeping so I don't even get any time with them on Friday evenings. I have battled this over and over and everyones answer is the bi "get an attorney" How am I suppose to get an attorney when I pay all of my money to her??? If it wasn't for my wife I would probably be homeless!!
Its not even fair to my new wife to have to support me that way, but thats the situation I am in. She is a great wife and Loves me and my children and treats them as if she had given birth to them herself. I really would like to some how overcome some of these SC laws some way or another. If there was some way that all of us child support paying fathers that try to do the right thing could all come together like all the other groups in the world and do some good old fashion hell raising at the steps of the state house maybe we would all get somewhere. If there are any of you out there that are sick of being screwed around with email me at guns_n_wrenches@yahoo.com
I don't want to get out of paying support but I think all of us hard working fathers deserve a little more than the state gives.
Spencer K

Mesa, AZ

#7 Jan 24, 2007
I agree with you 100 percent.
Eric Knight wrote:
Charles

Columbia, SC

#8 Feb 1, 2007
my child support, medical insurance and medical bills I have to cover, bankruptcy and darecare come out of my paycheck. I can't even pay all of that. I'm left around negative (-)$200.00 a paycheck. This doesn't include rent, food, gas, vehicle maintenance, tax and tags, glasses, utilities. I have to foreclose on my house and soon will be homeless. I'm trying to find some sort of government assistance with no luck. Any suggestions?
action needed

AOL

#10 Feb 11, 2007
South Carolina makes alot of money off of your child support payments and your child. The money South Carolina collects could be ordered and placed in account for childs college but all they care about is filling their pockets. People in South Carolina that pays child support should come together and exspose these judges and the State. The proff is in your payments. The state does not track or care how much of your payment the child receives. Most every case the receiving parent and the state profits and the child get very little.
South Carolinan

AOL

#11 Feb 18, 2007
Some of those ex wives should feel fortunate to get the amount that the court ordered.....For my 2 children the court ordered my ex husband to pay $56.00 a week...he does not carry insurance on the children, I do and he has not seen the kids in almost a year....NOW THAT IS PATHETIC!!!!! And my ex husband is behind...$1,300.00..the courts pretty much smacked his wrist and told him to be a good lil boy.....
Jack

United States

#12 Mar 6, 2007
MADD MOM "

I did step up ! It seems that deadbeat moms in this state is ok, go figure.......
PissedOffMilitar yWife

El Paso, TX

#13 Apr 3, 2007
What is up with all the STUPID MONEY GREEDY MOTHERS in SC! Maybe they should all be rounded up and shot!!!!

My husband pays $600 for one child. We have to fly to pick him up then rent a car to go get him and fly back. EACH WAY! AND WE LIVE IN GERMANY!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS STUPID STATE!!

We took her to court because the child is MAJORLY underdeveloped. We won but she has taken us back to court for court costs and we have to now pay her to get her act together. She si 30 and lives with her mom. He mom pays for everything while she sits on her FAT butt and smokes her life away. My kids go without so his one child's mother can HAVE IT ALL!!!!
Kelly

United States

#14 Apr 3, 2007
I believe some tall tales are being told here but anyway I do have some advice. If you can't afford an attorney, find one that will work for you pro bono, or represent yourself. You don't have to be an attorney to approach the courts, you can act pro se. All you need to do is study up on what is court protocol. It is not HARD, Trust me, been there, and done that, successfully. All it cost me was the filing fee with the court and the expenses I incurred mailing the copies to my spouse. I faced the judge and things were worked out.

Also, SC does NOT make money off of child support payments. They charge a small fee for their administration costs to disburse the money and that is hardly income for them. If anything, it is a loss to the state. If you paid directly on time, there would be no need to go through the courts, now, would there? Maybe some of you see yourself in this post.

Truth hurts sometime.
Kelly

United States

#15 Apr 3, 2007
SC courts do not order a spouse to pay more than he can afford to pay. It is based on your income per child and your living expenses are considered. That's the truth, folks.

You can find the income chart on line somewhere. Research.
Bill

Duluth, GA

#16 Apr 11, 2007
Kelly, What UNIVERSE are you in?? In SC, not only does the court charge a 5% surcharge on support (Which an ex-wife can get regardless of if you pay on time or not) but when you present canceled checks of when they were cashed as proof, the court does not even want to look at them!!! Support IS NOT based on your ability to pay or what the ACTUAL cost of adding one more person to the custodial parents home is!!! SOME Communist/liberal/lesbian/woma ns rights group advocate applies huge amounts of money and lobby efforts to convince the courts and law makers that all men are the great evil, when it is in fact that the women of SC and just about every attorney in the state that have NO limits to there greed and desire to destroy the American family or anything that resembles the ideal of the American family. As for not having an attorney, well obiviously you never tried to get anything done in family court as a man. Walk a mile baby .....before you start shooting off your mouth from someone else's shoes!!! Can you say STUPID Bi$%H??? The state guidlines are to vauge, the law is too slanted, the support is too much, the visitation is too little, the courts are too tainted, the ex-wives are to petty and the attorneys are to greedy!!! In the end...... we will each be judged by how well we have kept God's LAW, not how well we have kept man's law. Hell will be filled with judges, attorneys and women of the United States of America and probably many other western nations!!! Have a GOOD TIME THERE!!:-)
Single Mother

Columbus, OH

#17 Apr 11, 2007
It is expensive to take care of children. Your children were there before the new wife, you brought them into this world and you have to support them. As a single mother, I can tell you that I can pay 1 weeks worth of child support on 2 pairs of name brand tennis shoes. No, this isn't a necessity but when you love your kids, you want them to have things. I would have bought them if I were still with the ex, and he'll support me buying them when he's gone!
Madd Dadd wrote:
laura

Charleston, SC

#18 Apr 18, 2007
I happen to somewhat agree with both sides, sometimes the law does seem unfair to dads that lost full custody of their children, and there are some woman out there that are bitter about the break up and will take everything they can. But I as a single parent have 3 girls and it is hard to take care of kids on one income. My ex was ordered to pay $720 a month and because I felt that was high and that would not give him enough to live on I agreed to except $400 a month for 3 kids which is hardly anything. You would think he would have been greatful, but he has not made 1 payment yet and he is behind 7 months. Now my kids have to suffer because he can't keep to his end of the bargain. When figuring out the $720 a month in court they do look at how much income is coming in and at some of his expenses, they did not consider everything, but he was given a fair deal by me. I work full time but in todays world prices for food, gas and other necessities have gone up and I feel the non custodial parent should help out with the kids that we both brought into this world. It is not a one way street. For the women who do not work and use your husbands child support to pay your way through life, those cases should be re-evaluated. I totally do not agree with the mothers who use the child support for themselves.
Bill

Sumter, SC

#19 Apr 18, 2007
Yes, you offered a fair deal ..... not everyone is man enough to own up to his responsibilities. That is also a cost of the lack of God in our society. However, most men are and are given the shaft time and again. They want to be part of there childerns lives and are forced to be a spectator at best. The laws are so twisted to favor the women that I can not believe we are not in some major civil striff over this injustice. One day men will realize what is going on and will stand together in one voice........ This will not be a good day for women!! Children are very preious and need both a father and mother...... women usually do a losy job at being a father and throught their bitterness and unrealistic view of there self worth always tend to vilanize the father. Remember that we are judged in heaven by what we do one earth and at last count ........ there are very few women that will fair well in heaven. Our main reason for living is to bring children into this world and make them better than we are. Most christian men realize this and own up to this responsiblilty. However, the courts--ex-wives and attorneys do not understand this and are destroying our Christian foundations that are at the very basis of our country. God will not allow this to continue for an unspecified period of time. I tell you all the trueth........ It is not about money or stuff you can buy for your kids..... It is about LOVE and service. It is about faithfulness and rejoysing in the love we have for each other. It is about time together and understanding. It is about duty to each other and commitment to our families. It is about understanding and devotion. It is about being humble and careing. It is about listening and hearing. Seeing and being seen. It is about all things that deal with our relationship to each other and nothing to do with money. Unfortunately, you and every woman in our culture only thinks in dollars and cents. You do not trust or believe in God or Jesus and you do not walk with the GRACE of the LORD. You neither understand this nor are moved to bring up your children with the glory of GOD as the main focus of your lives. That is why you are pentilized by GOD to your wicked ways....... I do not feel sorrow nor responsiblity for such a wicked portion of our society. You need to own up to YOUR responsiblities and fullfill your duty to your children. Everything else is as GOD decides should be. Anything else is unfair, unjust, unAmerican, and UNGODLY.
Shante

New York, NY

#20 May 1, 2007
I agree with some things that have been discussed. I am a single mother of two girls. My daughters have different dads. There are struggling dads out here, but there are more low lives. I will say that "people" need to be more selective when they elect to have children. I buss my behind for my kids. I'm not so much into named brand things, but I'm concerned about saving for college, extracurricular activites, learning how to play an instrument, attending a good school. I educate my kids. I cook almost every night, I do laundry every week etc. When a couple break up, you know who does the real work? The Mother. I'm attending parents teacher conferences, I'm planning meals, I'm doing the grocery shopping, I'm doing the laundry, I'm taking my kids to school, and picking them up, I'm helping with homework, I'm teaching mannerisms, I'm disciplining, I'm being a role model, I'm waking up in the middle of the night when my daughters doesn't feel well, I'm taking them to the doctor's office for check ups, I'm taking them to the dentist every six months. My day never ends as a parent. I have my own place, car and money. I don't need a man to validate who I am, but I need the man that I created a child with to step up and be a Man and Father to his children. Men talk a good one, but when it comes to all of the things that comes with parenting, a lot of them can't hang. All I hear are men talking about the amount of money they pay, not what they do for their kids. I'm not saying that there aren't any messed up women, because there are, but at the end of the day, children need "their parents" to act as adults and to do the right thing by them.
Another Single Mom

Phoenix, AZ

#21 May 6, 2007
I see things from both sides of the issue. I'm a single mom and I get 600/mo for 1 child, but his father has had no contact in over 5 years.
On the flip side, my fiance is paying almost 2000/mo for 2 kids. I'm paying all the bills for both families, because she doesn't seem to realize that she has completely bled him dry. All the proceeds from the sale of his house are gone, and he earns only enough to pay the child support, and insurance (in addition to support), and rent. How can a person live if people are greedy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) 12 hr People Search 31
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec 16 juegoskizi 86
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Sharing My Girlfriend Dec 14 kikguy024 3
Naked Couple Fall Off Building in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec 10 Dr Rocky 28
Transgender Teen Sues DMV Over Driver's License... Dec 9 DarbyAl 3
NAACP vows stronger Confederate flag fight in S.C. (Jan '10) Dec 8 Suebi212 8,498
Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:29 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:29AM