Parade hopes 'so gay' works

Members of an S.C. gay rights organization said Tuesday they hope a recent controversy about ads proclaiming the state "so gay" will stir up interest in this year's gay pride celebration. Full Story
First Prev
of 29
Next Last
Kerwin

Simpsonville, SC

#1 Sep 17, 2008
Gov. Mark Sanford said in July that taxpayer funds shouldn't be used for ads that promote any group with a particular social or political agenda, and David Thomas, a Republican state senator from Greenville, called for an audit of the state tourism agency after learning of the ad campaign.

----------HELLO! WHAT ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN PLATES?----

In June, South Carolina became the first state to offer its drivers vanity license plates featuring a cross over a stained-glass windows and the words “I Believe.” While most of the other 200 specialty plates cost around $70 — with proceeds going to the sponsoring organization — the “I Believe” plates will cost only $4 to $6,“just enough to reimburse the state for the cost to produce the plate.” Dr. T. Jeremey Gunn, director of the ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief, said the plates might be unconstitutional:
dont be alarmist

Myrtle Beach, SC

#2 Sep 17, 2008
How about tell all of the facts.
The higher priced ones donate the majority of that money to endangered species, or scholarships, or organizations depending on the plate.

Also - it's a choice to pay extra for it - it's not being rammed down anyone's throat.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/plategaller...
Kerwin wrote:
Gov. Mark Sanford said in July that taxpayer funds shouldn't be used for ads that promote any group with a particular social or political agenda, and David Thomas, a Republican state senator from Greenville, called for an audit of the state tourism agency after learning of the ad campaign.
----------HELLO! WHAT ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN PLATES?----
In June, South Carolina became the first state to offer its drivers vanity license plates featuring a cross over a stained-glass windows and the words “I Believe.” While most of the other 200 specialty plates cost around $70 — with proceeds going to the sponsoring organization — the “I Believe” plates will cost only $4 to $6,“just enough to reimburse the state for the cost to produce the plate.” Dr. T. Jeremey Gunn, director of the ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief, said the plates might be unconstitutional:
dont be alarmist

Myrtle Beach, SC

#3 Sep 17, 2008
And do not take my statement as me being against the ads. Because I am not against them.
innocent bystander

Shelby, AL

#6 Sep 17, 2008
WHAT A HOMOPHOBIC STATE WE LIVE IN.
underhay

Lexington, SC

#7 Sep 17, 2008
innocent bystander wrote:
WHAT A HOMOPHOBIC STATE WE LIVE IN.
it's not as bad as it used to be!
Everyday Normal Guy

Myrtle Beach, SC

#8 Sep 17, 2008
i HAVE NO COMMENT...OOPS.... MY BLOODY CAPS ARE LOCKED... i HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#9 Sep 17, 2008
Money is money, no matter who spends it. If new people come into the state and spend their money at our resorts, stores, and restaurants, does it really matter who they love? They aren't going to stop being gay just to shop at Barefoot Landing...no one is going to pout and go home just because some homophobe thinks they need to have their morning coffee in another state. Dollars aren't gay or straight, and it makes no difference anyway if gay tourists do come here because of promotions. They are people, the same as anyone on the planet, no different than you or me.
Viking Knight

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Sep 17, 2008
OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....I can'r wait!
Southern Patriot

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Sep 17, 2008
Finally! States' Rights I can believe in.
Big D Luv

Wilton, CT

#12 Sep 17, 2008
My friend Frank G moved to SC a few years back and has enjoyed this aspect of an alternative lifestyle since he's been there. No one knew he had these orientations when he lived up here in the north, but, what the hay, live and let live !! Benga !!

Since: Sep 08

murrells inlet

#13 Sep 17, 2008
The Real Lori wrote:
Money is money, no matter who spends it. If new people come into the state and spend their money at our resorts, stores, and restaurants, does it really matter who they love? They aren't going to stop being gay just to shop at Barefoot Landing...no one is going to pout and go home just because some **** thinks they need to have their morning coffee in another state. Dollars aren't gay or straight, and it makes no difference anyway if gay tourists do come here because of promotions. They are people, the same as anyone on the planet, no different than you or me.
they may not be diferent from you but they are different from me. homosexuality is un-natural and immoral and should not be tolerated much less promoted
Robin Hood

Alpharetta, GA

#14 Sep 17, 2008
algr wrote:
<quoted text>
they may not be diferent from you but they are different from me. homosexuality is un-natural and immoral and should not be tolerated much less promoted
Open Mouth insert foot
Used to be a Biker

New Brunswick, NJ

#15 Sep 17, 2008
Well, since Myrtle Beach wants to get rid of the bikers, and invite gays, I guess if we have Guys and Gals gay weekends in May, maybe we can break even!!!

Is this really what you want to be known for??????????
Joe

Edgewater, MD

#16 Sep 17, 2008
Used to be a Biker wrote:
Well, since Myrtle Beach wants to get rid of the bikers, and invite gays, I guess if we have Guys and Gals gay weekends in May, maybe we can break even!!!
Is this really what you want to be known for??????????
MB is dumping the bikers and promoting the Gay agenda because this is a FAMILY resort.

What a bunch of hypocrits!
I know who

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Sep 17, 2008
The Real Lori wrote:
Money is money, no matter who spends it.......... Dollars aren't gay or straight, and it makes no difference anyway ..........
So true and the resulting taxes result in state revenue for SC. Everyone is a winner.

On a personal note, when my neighborhood became hip amongst the gay community my property value increased.

“I'm just sayin' ......”

Since: Nov 07

Elgin, SC

#19 Sep 17, 2008
Kerwin wrote:
Gov. Mark Sanford said in July that taxpayer funds shouldn't be used for ads that promote any group with a particular social or political agenda, and David Thomas, a Republican state senator from Greenville, called for an audit of the state tourism agency after learning of the ad campaign.
----------HELLO! WHAT ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN PLATES?----
In June, South Carolina became the first state to offer its drivers vanity license plates featuring a cross over a stained-glass windows and the words “I Believe.” While most of the other 200 specialty plates cost around $70 — with proceeds going to the sponsoring organization — the “I Believe” plates will cost only $4 to $6,“just enough to reimburse the state for the cost to produce the plate.” Dr. T. Jeremey Gunn, director of the ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief, said the plates might be unconstitutional:
I'm a little confused. How did 'Gay Pride' turn into a debate about 'I Believe' license plates?

And why should you be 'proud' of being gay? The gays say it's how they're born, not a decision they made or can change. That would be like me saying 'I'm proud I have blue eyes' or 'I'm proud I'm white'. I was born this way but could just as easily have been born black with brown eyes. It's not pride, it's just what is.

And what's the problem with the plate? If you don't want one, don't get one. See how easy that was?
OLD TIMER

Myrtle Beach, SC

#20 Sep 17, 2008
what ever happened to freedom of choice? what difference does it make anyway? if the bikers come here to ride with each other or if the gays come here to ride each other....myrtle beach, its about the love of the tourist dollar and the hate of the tourist.
RDG

Laurinburg, NC

#21 Sep 17, 2008
shovelhead wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a little confused. How did 'Gay Pride' turn into a debate about 'I Believe' license plates?
And why should you be 'proud' of being gay? The gays say it's how they're born, not a decision they made or can change. That would be like me saying 'I'm proud I have blue eyes' or 'I'm proud I'm white'. I was born this way but could just as easily have been born black with brown eyes. It's not pride, it's just what is.

And what's the problem with the plate? If you don't want one, don't get one. See how easy that was?
AMEN...., "shovelhead"! Great reply! I am left handed, and not necessarily proud of it. If I was right-handed, I wouldn't be "proud" of it either. What if the "straight" people start "straight pride day" or white people started "white pride day"? I bet there would be screams that it is "intolerant". As you say... if they are gay and "born that way", then "it is what it is"!

Since: Aug 08

West Columbia, SC

#22 Sep 17, 2008
The problem with the plate is that it promotes one group over another.

If it's okay for the state to make a plate with a cross on it saying 'I Believe' then it should be just as okay for the state to make a plate with a swastika on it saying 'I Believe'.

Now, how about a Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies parade? Of course that parade should be immediately preceded by the Cute Young Babes parade because that'll be the only way to get the Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies out of their recliners and go for a walk. Hmmmm, I think I'm onto a way to get the Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies tp lose their Beer Bellies and get some exercise. This could be a new fitness campaign sponsered by Hooters......

:-)

“I'm just sayin' ......”

Since: Nov 07

Elgin, SC

#23 Sep 17, 2008
Matt Cooper wrote:
The problem with the plate is that it promotes one group over another.
If it's okay for the state to make a plate with a cross on it saying 'I Believe' then it should be just as okay for the state to make a plate with a swastika on it saying 'I Believe'.
Now, how about a Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies parade? Of course that parade should be immediately preceded by the Cute Young Babes parade because that'll be the only way to get the Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies out of their recliners and go for a walk. Hmmmm, I think I'm onto a way to get the Straight Old White Guys w/ Beer Bellies tp lose their Beer Bellies and get some exercise. This could be a new fitness campaign sponsered by Hooters......
:-)
I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare South Carolina Christians with German Nazis, but if you can get 300 Nazis to commit to it, then I'm pretty sure they can have their own little hate-plate.

However, I would be in favor of the 'Straight Old White Guys with Beer Bellies' plate.(SOWG/BB) Send me a sign-up sheet by way of a Hooters Girl. I don't actually have to drink beer, do I?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 29
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) 21 hr People Search 31
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec 16 juegoskizi 86
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Sharing My Girlfriend Dec 14 kikguy024 3
Naked Couple Fall Off Building in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec 10 Dr Rocky 28
Transgender Teen Sues DMV Over Driver's License... Dec 9 DarbyAl 3
sc child support and visitation guidelines (Nov '06) Dec 8 Your crazy 537
Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:31 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:31PM
Highlights, Recap for Browns vs. Panthers
ESPN 3:52 PM
Newton: 'Classless' to cheer Manziel injury
Bleacher Report 3:56 PM
Cam Returns to Superman Status When It Matters Most
Bleacher Report 3:58 PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?
Yahoo! Sports 4:08 PM
Browns lose Manziel in 17-13 loss to Panthers