Councilman Says Discrimination, Elect...

Councilman Says Discrimination, Election Commission Says No

There are 63 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jan 26, 2008, titled Councilman Says Discrimination, Election Commission Says No. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

Councilman Stephen Cain knows the importance of voting. "I would encourage a lot of voters moving forward to go ahead and update your voter registration info as soon as possible," he says, as a message to his ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Joyce

Columbia, SC

#1 Jan 26, 2008
"Cain says some voters were denied the right to vote Saturday because of errors in their addresses or their names not being on the role. "The staff here was not going the extra yard to kinda confirm whether folks were registered to vote or not," he says of the issues."

"While Cain says only a small number of people were affected, it's something he's working with the county election commission to prevent in the future, with a more diverse group of poll workers."

"Hopefully, if we have a little but more diversity during the next election, we will be able to remedy this situation," he says.

"Crepes also said that voters must remember to keep their name and correct address on the role."

I don't know how he can say this is discrimination - if you haven't registered or kept your address current then it's YOUR OWN FAULT. Not the election commissions.

What difference would a more diverse group of workers make?

It's easy to point the fingers and blame others for your mistakes - but if people couldn't vote due to errors in addresses then, they should have verified their information was correct before primary day.

I'm tired of hearing the discrimination card being played for people's own mistakes.
J Litaker

Orangeburg, SC

#2 Jan 26, 2008
Let me get this straight - Councilman Cain is alleging that poll workers are discriminating against voters based solely on race, when in fact they either have not taken the responsibility to update their address information to verify they are voting in the correct precinct, or they have not registered to vote at all, and the answer to this "problem" is to get more black poll workers in there to keep the discriminatory white poll workers in check?
This accusation is a baseless slander, as all evidence points to the fact that these poll workers did exactly as they were supposed to do. It is not their job on primary day to leave their posts to take up a research matter to verify a person's registration status when said persons haven't done what they had a responsibility to do. If you are properly registered in your precinct, your name will be on the list - every time. I think Councilman Cain owes the poll workers in question an apology, and I hope the election commission will take this as it should be taken, with a grain of salt.
tlb

Elliott, SC

#3 Jan 27, 2008
what the hell does diversity have to do with having your proper address on your voting card????? Sounds like someone is using the "d" word to get what they want...... "why yes, mr./mrs./ms. poll worker, if you were more diverse, you could look the other way. Who is the Cain person anyway??? Got some advice for you...Play by the rules.
ben there

United States

#4 Jan 27, 2008
Joyce wrote:
What difference would a more diverse group of workers make?
By more diverse, be assured he meant more African- Americans. If an African-American came to vote and their identity was not clear nor were they registered, they'd still be allowed to vote because the African-American poll watcher would let them in merely because they showed up.
Peace

Columbia, SC

#5 Jan 27, 2008
J Litaker wrote:
Let me get this straight - Councilman Cain is alleging that poll workers are discriminating against voters based solely on race, when in fact they either have not taken the responsibility to update their address information to verify they are voting in the correct precinct, or they have not registered to vote at all, and the answer to this "problem" is to get more black poll workers in there to keep the discriminatory white poll workers in check?
This accusation is a baseless slander, as all evidence points to the fact that these poll workers did exactly as they were supposed to do. It is not their job on primary day to leave their posts to take up a research matter to verify a person's registration status when said persons haven't done what they had a responsibility to do. If you are properly registered in your precinct, your name will be on the list - every time. I think Councilman Cain owes the poll workers in question an apology, and I hope the election commission will take this as it should be taken, with a grain of salt.
Yep, you got it straight! What a ridiculous article! Excellent response.
NowWhat

United States

#6 Jan 27, 2008
Mr Cain, STUPID,STUPID,STUPID.
guss

Sumter, SC

#7 Jan 27, 2008
How hard is it to follow rules and regalations, but always THEY were descriminated aginst. Why do black folks always think the rules should change for them. Always downgrading the life in america.
NowWhat

United States

#8 Jan 27, 2008
See, people that want to build a bridge for nowhere to nowhere and can't put two coherent sentences together are the people that are taking over. Look at OBAMA.
Hocus-Cadabra

Darlington, SC

#9 Jan 27, 2008
Shame on the webmaster for greenlighting this article
upset mom

Lexington, SC

#10 Jan 27, 2008
first, most of the poll workers in my precient (lexington) are black sd that blows his arugument out of the water.

second, why is is only the democrats have these "problems"? ever notice that the republican voters understand that when a problem arises it is a mistake, plain and simple but not discrimination?
Just My Opinon

AOL

#11 Jan 27, 2008
upset mom wrote:
first, most of the poll workers in my precient (lexington) are black sd that blows his arugument out of the water.
second, why is is only the democrats have these "problems"? ever notice that the republican voters understand that when a problem arises it is a mistake, plain and simple but not discrimination?
Democrats MAKE problems an invent them so as to cry that they were "disenfranchised" and can use the old tried and true (but pathetic) argument of discrimination at the polls. You are right-one seldom EVER hears these kinds of complaints during Repbublican primaries and polling places. That must show you how the most responsible of the two parties is out there voting. At least the Republcians seem to be more literate and edcuated as well. I shudder to think what is going to happen in this country if the Democrats get the White House and both houses in Congress. We are doomed. I don't always vote straight Republican ticket as I am also a fence straddling Liberarain but at least I'm not a member of the Jackass Party. Maybe they should be renamed "Dumbocrats"

EnoughSaid

United States

#12 Jan 27, 2008
upset mom wrote:
Well said. I think you answered your own question. Democrats, problems?
B-L PANTHER

Columbia, SC

#13 Jan 27, 2008
HERE WE GO B-L'S PROUDEST WANNABE COUNCILMAN TRYING TO STIR UP MORE CRAP.WELL MR. CAIN IF YOU WOULD TAKE NOT BEFORE THE PRIMARY'S ALL NEWS AGENCY WERE REPORTING THAT VOTERS NEED THERE VOTING CARDS UPDATED FOR CURRENT ADDRESSES ECT.....
Tippy

Columbia, SC

#14 Jan 27, 2008
If a person can not keep track of his/her voting district and current address, I doubt that they can even figure out why they are voting! The person who told him WHO to vote for should be responsible to clear up his residence problems. Changing poll workers is not the answer, becoming aware of the world around you and how things operate is the answer. Once you are at the polls, the worker can not help straighten that problem! Perhaps the Councilman could work on creating a civics course for his district and better use his advocacy!
Marilyn

Newark, OH

#15 Jan 27, 2008
I use to live in Batesburg and was was born there. I now live in Lexington. This has alway been a history problem at the poll in this little town. All White poll workers and Republicans. This has to change. I agree with Mr. Cain. He is outspoken, and has a right to be. Black people in that community has always been lefted out and is controlled by the Whites in that little community. Mr.Cain it is time to take a stand and let the Blacks know that they have a place in their community and race doesn't matter. I wish i was still living there, so i can help turn this community around especially the blacks that live their. They are tired of being stepped on and overlooked. The Whites needs to stop going behind closed doors, making decisions without the black citizens there. They to pay heafty taxes in that community. This not the 50's, and 60's anymore. Black people take a stand in Batesburg-Leesville, you have a place, take it and run with it. God Bless all of you and hope, I don't have to see this activity in your community again.
have mercy

Gaston, SC

#16 Jan 27, 2008
I don't know Cain but he sounds like a moron. I am so sick of people claiming discrimination for everything under the sun. News flash Cain, this happens EVERYWHERE and not just to voters of one race. If your address on your voter card or driver's license doesn't match the address we have in the book we can't let them vote. Think about it. What if John Smith came up to vote and his address didn't match the one in the book. Do you think we should let him vote because he told us he used to live at the address on the book? No! We send voters to Lexington County Election Commission to get an updated voter card and county will let the poll manager know the outcome. You can't just let someone vote without proper verification. If we did, we would have people coming up to vote who are not who they say they are, just because they have the same name and cause a total disaster. The policies are in place for a reason and that reason is to ensure that every voter who is eligible to vote gets an opportunity to vote and that is a NONdiscriminatory policy!
Alesia

Newark, OH

#17 Jan 27, 2008
Batesburg_Leesville is a racist town.
White against Black. Ms. Cain, I am white and like the way you are doing thing. Those poll workers Whites didn't care if the problem was corrected or not. It was their attitude to the Blacks. I am white, I bet I would have gotten some help
Sarah at Batesburg

Newark, OH

#18 Jan 27, 2008
I am white, I has the same problem at this location. I got good help with the poll worker. Sorry for your problems
DAP

Nashville, TN

#19 Jan 27, 2008
Councilman Stephen Cain is a disgrace to Batesburg-Leesville. I voted at the Leesville precinct and had no problem. The volunteers were very professional and prompt. The next election maybe he could spare a few hours out of your busy schedule to volunteer at anything instead of running his mouth all the time. Please vote him out of office...
Tippy

Columbia, SC

#20 Jan 27, 2008
Alesia wrote:
Batesburg_Leesville is a racist town.
White against Black. Ms. Cain, I am white and like the way you are doing thing. Those poll workers Whites didn't care if the problem was corrected or not. It was their attitude to the Blacks. I am white, I bet I would have gotten some help
I would be interested in how you came up with that opinion, were you there? IF so did you try to help these folks? Why is this any validation to the claim there was discrimination at this time?

Problem is the voter was NOT following established election rules to keep fraud from occuring on either side. Just follow the rules. IF there is a dispute, ask to have your paper ballot put into the locked box in every polling place (just for such disputed claims) Their examination and determination of validity will be done later by official election board reps. If your claim is valid, your vote will be counted. No need to point fingers and yell discriminaton and stir up problems by having knee jerk reactions to what has already been stated as not being wide spread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
REMEMBER in NOVEMBER the DEFENDERS of our FLAG 7 hr Time4Seccession 1
Confederate Flag 13 hr Ecossais 17
News Lee Bright to push for voters to decide fate of... Jul 2 Lou Cochrum 1
Larry Richter for Lt. Gov. (Mar '10) Jun 30 Fact2tell 11
Confederate Southern Freedom Jun 28 ickey81 7
News SC lawmakers agree to debate removing Confedera... Jun 26 Flabbergasted 2
News As South Carolina honors victims, Alabama lower... Jun 26 private guy 1
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE