Vinson Filyaw Speaks About His Crime

Full story: WLTX Columbia 37
It's difficult to imagine what goes through the mind of someone who would commit such a crime. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SCSC

Ladson, SC

#1 Sep 18, 2007
How could you do a story like this. Filyaw is a slim, not a hero. Are you best friends with him? Is Ashleigh? Why so much tv time for a rapist?
Bea

Elgin, SC

#2 Sep 18, 2007
I cannot believe some of the questions Filyaw was asked. Now everybody knows what he did to this young girl. She's still in high school you know. I'm sure she doesn't appreciate everyone (especially her school mates) knowing that this lunatic had sex with her every day. It's not like everyone doesn't know this girl's identity...you reported her name when the story first aired. That was just bad to give Filyaw so much "free" publicity. You could have spent that time on the victim's family; they're relieved. They're the ones who deserve airtime, not that scum bag.
ford

Gilbert, SC

#3 Sep 19, 2007
ok he's plead guilty to this , why go on with situation , get him out to the flag pole in front the courthouse tie strang around his neck and send him up get it over with no need to keep spending money on this trash, he says he a sick person well there is no cure for this so get on with it
RRE

Aiken, SC

#4 Sep 19, 2007
I am very disappointed in WLTX. How dare you give air time to this piece of scum. What did you accomplish? Better ratings? Shame on you for capitalizing on a young girl's pain and humiliation.
Gosh

AOL

#5 Sep 19, 2007
Next thing you know, this station will publish that book and take care of his family! STOP GIVING THIS MAN AIR TIME! Stop putting this child thru this ordeal over and over and over. It isnt for us to know what he did to her. Leave that in the court room! STOP WITH THIS STORY! Its madness!
ClownMan

Columbia, SC

#6 Sep 19, 2007
HE IS A CRIMINAL!!! He is mentally warped!!!! Do not give him the "honor" of a confession and broadcast the details of how he did it. Does WLTX want to take responsibility of egging on another pervert to do the same type of thing so they get their air time?
Crazy_Horse

United States

#8 Sep 19, 2007
HANG THAT FILYAW FILTH-BALL !!!

I'll pay for the public hanging!!!!!!!!!
melado

Columbia, SC

#10 Sep 19, 2007
I do not want to see this animal on TV anymore -- showing this interview over and over gives him validation for his actions. He is a demon and a liar.
Give MORE airtime to the family of the victim and how they are trying to heal
(if they can...).
NO MORE LIVE INTERVIEW!
oscar

Memphis, TN

#12 Sep 19, 2007
This man deserves the death penalty.....
What about the rape of his 12 year-old step daughter????
Disgusted

Columbia, SC

#13 Sep 19, 2007
Hurray for Journalism???? Hurray for the people of Columbia who feel as disgusted as I am/was by the way this reporter and WLTX handled this story!!!! And all because of ratings. Why don't we all help their ratings PLUMMET by NOT watching their newscast anymore.
Lisa

Columbia, SC

#14 Sep 19, 2007
I think it is disgusting the way all of the news channels are catering to this obviously sick and twisted individual. While you have a policy about publicizing gangs and not identifying rape victims, you do not see anything wrong with airing an interview of an admitted criminal? You (and the other channels) appear to be giving him exactly what he wanted - to be famous. Next time think twice before airing something of this nature!

Since: Sep 07

Blythewood, SC

#15 Sep 19, 2007
This whole story was in bad taste. The TV network should be ashamed for glorifing such a horrible, sick man. His side of the story did not need to be told. We could only imagine what that helpless young lady went through. He sounded proud of himself, and this interview crossed the line. I am e-mailing WLTX and I hope everyone else does also, to let them know that what they did was wrong. Not only does this young lady have to deal with this situation internally for the rest of her life, now the whole state knows the play by play of this sicko. I hope he never sees the light of day again. God Bless this child, and help her try and move on without terrible reprocusions of this event.
Rediculous

Columbia, SC

#16 Sep 19, 2007
I don't give a %&*# if Ashley and Filyaw are best friends! STOP REPORTING ON THIS SICKO!!
Did Pee Wee not teach you anything? This guy obviously loves the spotlight and you're only feeding his sick ego.
I'm so disappointed in WLTX!! You were my favorite station, but this is no better than Inside Edition. What do I do now? WIS only reports on the weather and WOLO is a sleeper. Now WLTX is tabloid news? You should be ashamed of yourself!
For a station that prides itself on doing the right thing and having this whole policy against highlighting gang activity, you sure do have a backwards approach for reporting on sick rapists!
Go ahead - make him famous! Give yourself a good pat on the back while that girl cries all day and night since she can't escape the horror of that week b/c his face is constantly on TV!
Rediculous

Columbia, SC

#17 Sep 19, 2007
"On My Side" my assky!
Anteater

Auburn Hills, MI

#18 Sep 19, 2007
While we are rightfully stringing up this monster and pitying this victim, bear in mind the next 1000 creeps and victims will occur because we all fail to aggressively push for the "Dateline"-type "trap houses" that could catch these cockroaches by the 100's BEFORE anyone is harmed.....
ZWA

Columbia, SC

#19 Sep 19, 2007
Filyaw agrees that he is sick...NO SHI*!!
Irmo resident

United States

#20 Sep 19, 2007
"Filyaw knows finding companionship in a teenage girl was not the answer, and that neither was raping her every day she was with him. Filyaw can only hope she will one day forgive him."
This was one of the most pathetic sentences I have ever read in a news story, online or in print. "Companionship"??? Is that a euphemism for violent rape? This story is a clear example of incompetent reporting unethical treatment of the victim.
NONAME

AOL

#21 Sep 19, 2007
YES, I DEFINITELY AGREE THAT VINSON FILYAW IS A VERY VERY SICK MAN. IN MY OPINION 461 YEARS IS NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR HIM TO SERVE IN PRISON. THAT POOR GIRL WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH HER MEMORIES THE REST OF HER LIFE. I HOPE HE ROTS IN PRISON AND THAT THEY THROW HIS BODY TO THE BUZZARDS.
concerned

United States

#22 Sep 19, 2007
Irmo resident wrote:
"Filyaw knows finding companionship in a teenage girl was not the answer, and that neither was raping her every day she was with him. Filyaw can only hope she will one day forgive him."
This was one of the most pathetic sentences I have ever read in a news story, online or in print. "Companionship"??? Is that a euphemism for violent rape? This story is a clear example of incompetent reporting unethical treatment of the victim.
Not to mention he gets to sit around and "chat" about his take on the crime almost implying she was willing and that it wasn't violent in nature at all. Additionally it's almost as though he is actually PROUD of the fact that he will be in prision where he can "hang with friends, watch TV and not work." I know the reporter has explained her stance on not being required to testify, but I'd like to hear the explanation of WLTX as to why they would take such a sympathetic stance with the criminal. Even when Dateline reports on crimes and interviews the criminals, sympathetic is not a verb that would enter my mind when describing the interview.
Sumter Resident

Myrtle Beach, SC

#23 Sep 19, 2007
I hope Wltx is getting the message from all these comments made. I am outraged that you all would give this man a voice, the only voice he should have is in the court room and not on your broadcast. If this victim had been a 8 or 10 yr old little girl I bet you would have not broadcast this interview!!! Stop re-victiming this child!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) 13 hr games online 88
Allow the Mosque or Not at Ground Zero (Aug '10) Sat Justice 5,672
Kershaw's Matthews selected 2014 `Sheriff of th... (May '14) Dec 23 Warden of Kershaw 2
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Dec 20 People Search 31
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Sharing My Girlfriend Dec 14 kikguy024 3
Naked Couple Fall Off Building in South Carolina (Jun '07) Dec 10 Dr Rocky 28
Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbia

Personal Finance