First Prev
of 4
Next Last
john adair

Matawan, NJ

#1 Jan 14, 2013
The tiny bubbles, and hue of brown. The too much metal, and sometimes guests of bacteria. These are the gifts of a truly well run water district. The higher prices deserved for hard work well done.

The new bypass, with its creative exit by the Christian life center, new roads that seem to need work two years after they are fixed. The potholes filled with loose asphalt, and always busy schedule for crews, even as we hemorrhage money, thank you road crew, you will never be without work in the metropolis.

The hospital, who's empty halls, and rooms that used to buzz with work as our counties second largest employer, meeting the healthcare needs of the county. It used to bring money into the county, now it takes it away, millions a year. Thank you hospital board. I hope you enjoyed your retreat. Every bit as much as so many employees are enjoying their "retirement".

Our fiscal court, and chamber. Thank you for in this time of great debt and turmoil, you were brave enough to spend even more money with no way of covering it. We look to you for solutions. Even in the face if hardships like not filling the pool. You could have found someone else to fix the leak 5 years ago. But who could have predicted it would just keep loosing water?

The school board. Everyone doubts you at every turn. Try to help the kids, get screamed at and bullied. Any little change and parents who don't know what grade their children are in, show up crying for blood. But you are the largest employer in the county, our kids don't have books to take home, the buildings are falling apart, and cville is giving their 3rd graders iPads, but who's to say what's better.

Columbia has remained true to its calling. Through great work, and skill of trying, there are no jobs. Without fighting them every inch, some form of industry may have snuck in. But our leaders have kept guard. If you want in here, you'll know, our workforce went to school here, taxes will be higher than other areas, and you'll have to build using local contractors. That's how we roll.

Our pharmaceutical industry is on the rise. Soon it will become the greatest source of income in our town.

Our sleepy little town is being hurled off a cliff. All I really want is everyone to open their eyes so they can scream with me. Get ready. It's time. Very soon we will feel silly for doing what we have done. Especially when it's tax time.
white trash is in

Lexington, KY

#2 Jan 14, 2013
We can scream with joy when we vote this bunch of budget busters out of office. Thanks for highlighting our towns achievments.
Col Casey

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Jan 14, 2013
The tiny bubbles, and hue of brown. The too much metal, and sometimes guests of bacteria. These are the gifts of a truly well run water district. The higher prices deserved for hard work well done.

Don't forget the great construction crews spending 2 weeks drilling under Mack and Mitchell Streets then cutting a ditch across the roads to get to the hole and lay the pipe. 3 weeks now and they made it half way up Walker Street. And we sure adore their fowl mouths blowing in with the wind.
polecats

AOL

#4 Jan 14, 2013
ok ,...
we know you can clearly bitch about things ,...
what can you propose to fix any of these problems ?-

raise taxes ?,....

do you think apple i pads are free?,..

with out the hospital ,...people will die ,...when they could have been saved ,...
stop all the criticism ,...

lets hear some solutions
reliable source

Leitchfield, KY

#5 Jan 14, 2013
john adair wrote:
The new bypass, with its creative exit by the Christian life center, new roads that seem to need work two years after they are fixed. The potholes filled with loose asphalt, and always busy schedule for crews, even as we hemorrhage money, thank you road crew, you will never be without work in the metropolis.
The hospital, who's empty halls, and rooms that used to buzz with work as our counties second largest employer, meeting the healthcare needs of the county. It used to bring money into the county, now it takes it away, millions a year. Thank you hospital board. I hope you enjoyed your retreat. Every bit as much as so many employees are enjoying their "retirement".
Our fiscal court, and chamber. Thank you for in this time of great debt and turmoil, you were brave enough to spend even more money with no way of covering it. We look to you for solutions. Even in the face if hardships like not filling the pool. You could have found someone else to fix the leak 5 years ago. But who could have predicted it would just keep loosing water?
The school board. Everyone doubts you at every turn. Try to help the kids, get screamed at and bullied. Any little change and parents who don't know what grade their children are in, show up crying for blood. But you are the largest employer in the county, our kids don't have books to take home, the buildings are falling apart, and cville is giving their 3rd graders iPads, but who's to say what's better.
Columbia has remained true to its calling. Through great work, and skill of trying, there are no jobs. Without fighting them every inch, some form of industry may have snuck in. But our leaders have kept guard. If you want in here, you'll know, our workforce went to school here, taxes will be higher than other areas, and you'll have to build using local contractors. That's how we roll.
Our pharmaceutical industry is on the rise. Soon it will become the greatest source of income in our town.
Our sleepy little town is being hurled off a cliff. All I really want is everyone to open their eyes so they can scream with me. Get ready. It's time. Very soon we will feel silly for doing what we have done. Especially when it's tax time.
Oh, but everything is going to be okay! We have a shiny new recording studio on the Columbia square. We will be the next Nashville!
lol

Roy, WA

#6 Jan 14, 2013
our families are the employees of the hospital. we should support them and use our facility. i would rather the hospital partly pay for itself than for the taxpayers pay for it all.

education in Adair County has been a joke for years.

your right the spendthrifts in County Government need to be replace and to them we can lay all the blame on the water company and hospital, after all they appoint the board members.

raise taxes, lol, the jokers raised it the maximum 4% year after year after year except this last time, guess even they see the writing on the wall that their days are over.

i feel the hospital is the most important issue on the table, don't you get these are our family members working there. only because of County Government and creative accounting was this allowed to happen.

voteumout voteallofumout
people

Leitchfield, KY

#7 Jan 14, 2013
Several of this bunch in question, are on their SECOND term, not their FIRST, having pointed this out, how did they get elected for a second term? because they were elected by the voters, voters that had no clue how things should be run, the voters are to blame for putting people like this in office, next time a vote is cast, think if you think the person has the knowledge for the office, or is it because of who you know or like.
tired

Greensburg, KY

#8 Jan 14, 2013
lol wrote:
our families are the employees of the hospital. we should support them and use our facility.
If we have to pay for the hospital and it belongs to us then why in the heck does it cost us a 1000 dollars to go to the er. I pay for my house but it dont charge me for coming in and using my recliner. The hospital is a business its a crappy business but it is a business and it should have to fund itself just like every other business. And before all the smart mouth people start yelling about needing it and using it I dont need it and I wont use it they aint had a decent dr there in years they cant read an xray what good are they. Westlake is a freaking bandaid clinic that cant even put the bandaid in the right spot. I dont care if they do close it and for the employees that work there yeah it does suck to lose your job to a shut down I know Ive rode 2 companys out to the end and if you have a decent personality which most there DONT and you are a good drug free worker you can travel to another hospital where the pay is alot better and get a good job.
patient

Columbia, KY

#9 Jan 14, 2013
Went there one nite sick sit in one of the patient rooms for 2 hours doc comes in for 5 mins tells me its a virus gives me an antibiotic and sends me home week and half later i get a bill for 475 dollars for that visit that is outrageous if they wud charge a reasonble price then more people wud use the hospital
polecats

AOL

#10 Jan 14, 2013
grow up ,.... U back woods hilljack ,... it would cost you well over $2,500.00 up in any 'big city' hospital for the same ER treatment -
{- antibotics can not kill a virus so you really did waste your money ! ha ha you dumb bastard !},..
patient

Columbia, KY

#11 Jan 14, 2013
i mean had i known i was gonna be charged a months rent for 2 hours of being there i would have stayed awhile and watched some t.v and taken a shower there
patient

Columbia, KY

#12 Jan 14, 2013
damn polecats did u forget to take ur bi-polar medicine today
smells

Matawan, NJ

#13 Jan 14, 2013
polecats wrote:
ok ,...
we know you can clearly bitch about things ,...
what can you propose to fix any of these problems ?-

raise taxes ?,....

do you think apple i pads are free?,..

with out the hospital ,...people will die ,...when they could have been saved ,...
stop all the criticism ,...

lets hear some solutions
How tough are solutions? Raise taxes? They are gonna go up, way up. Had it not been for all the careless spending, the wouldn't have too.

Step one: stop spending money like your gonna get more. The people in charge right now know that there is no possibility to fix this while they are in office. It's gonna be someone else's problem someday. So the vote to spend and spend so no one gets mad at them, screw the longterm.

No iPads are not free. I think that was the point. Our school are breaking down, we can't get books, it's really bad, been that way forever. And 15 miles away, another town with different leadership not only has books, and nice buildings, but they are getting very expensive toys for their third graders. Beyond the question of advanced learning, it just highlights the comparable terrible state we are in.

Solution 2: start from the top. People on the board of education should be educators, and now accountants. Start maximizing resources. Cut the fat to the bone, and rebuild. Rebuild toward trends, not toward someday being ok. There is no reason our schools should be in the shape they are in, and it's a shame they have remained that way for so many years.

Solution 3: close the hospital. Without doing this we are gonna get sucked under in debt. There's no way we can as a county pay a hospital to stay open. Sorry but it's true. We can't pay to employ that many people. Right now they are loosing 300,000.00 a month. Do you really want your taxes brought up to a level that can pay that plus the millions in debt?

Solution 4: whenever anyone runs for office or a board or anything. Anything. The question needs to be, why are you qualified? Not if your nice and you know his cousin. Only the people running for office can make this happen. For anyone who is thinking about running for any spot I ask you. Please, when you are campaigning go big on the giant mistakes made by your opposition. Only by getting the entire community to actually think, before they vote, can we ever have a chance to turn things around.
aromatic

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Jan 15, 2013
smells wrote:
<quoted text>
How tough are solutions? Raise taxes? They are gonna go up, way up. Had it not been for all the careless spending, the wouldn't have too.
Step one: stop spending money like your gonna get more. The people in charge right now know that there is no possibility to fix this while they are in office. It's gonna be someone else's problem someday. So the vote to spend and spend so no one gets mad at them, screw the longterm.
No iPads are not free. I think that was the point. Our school are breaking down, we can't get books, it's really bad, been that way forever. And 15 miles away, another town with different leadership not only has books, and nice buildings, but they are getting very expensive toys for their third graders. Beyond the question of advanced learning, it just highlights the comparable terrible state we are in.
Solution 2: start from the top. People on the board of education should be educators, and now accountants. Start maximizing resources. Cut the fat to the bone, and rebuild. Rebuild toward trends, not toward someday being ok. There is no reason our schools should be in the shape they are in, and it's a shame they have remained that way for so many years.
Solution 3: close the hospital. Without doing this we are gonna get sucked under in debt. There's no way we can as a county pay a hospital to stay open. Sorry but it's true. We can't pay to employ that many people. Right now they are loosing 300,000.00 a month. Do you really want your taxes brought up to a level that can pay that plus the millions in debt?
Solution 4: whenever anyone runs for office or a board or anything. Anything. The question needs to be, why are you qualified? Not if your nice and you know his cousin. Only the people running for office can make this happen. For anyone who is thinking about running for any spot I ask you. Please, when you are campaigning go big on the giant mistakes made by your opposition. Only by getting the entire community to actually think, before they vote, can we ever have a chance to turn things around.
#3 yes , closing is our only option at this point . Losing 300k a month is asinine , while the politicos ponder their next election saving move .#4 thinking clearly on elections is not our forte , myself included . However we must do so now , because the fiscal cliff facing this county will be catastrophic . Seriously crunch the numbers on this mess . No way the taxpayers of this county can even marginally handle this .
adairs titanic voyage

Lexington, KY

#15 Jan 15, 2013
Losing 300k a month after all the cuts that have been made. Seems if you worked there or your family does it's ok to lose 500k a month as long as you get yours. Oh the hospital saved my life.....as if you could not of been saved by other area hospitals. If we put forth the money and effort to get people to these other places we might see good results. Vote for qualified or proven leadership instead of party affiliation.
reliable source

Lexington, KY

#16 Jan 15, 2013
Would it be possible to find another use for the hospital? Find something that is in demand and change the facility to something that can bring money in. I'm sure that there is a lot involved, but something along these lines could possibly work. Could it possibly be part of Lindsey Wilson? Lindsey "saved" our infamous Golf Course, could this work for the hospital??
reliable source

Lexington, KY

#17 Jan 15, 2013
I also agree, closing it down would be a good solution. Let these employees draw unemployment. When another service is established, hire them back. The hospital employees are for the most part a very dedicated fine group of people.
i hear ya

Matawan, NJ

#18 Jan 15, 2013
These are great suggestions and an emergency meeting of all agencies should be called to implement them immediately.

Another suggestion. It's time to close the jail. The jail was built with the idea it would bring money into the county. It looses it. Nowhere near as much as the hospital, but the hospital will fail no matter what. The jail will keep on losing money, and we will keep giving it to them. We can send our convicts a county over. While this will upset people who have relatives staying there, maybe those are not the people who's wants should be put over the survival of our town.

Also, a five year tax free promise, with another ten year guaranteed rate to industry that would be good for the county. We have no jobs here. We're getting zero dollars tax on nothing. Why not bring jobs, and in a few years begin to collect tax on an industry that is already here at that point. Seems odd we are the only county in the area not offering something.

These things brought up are not rocket science. The only reason I can think of as to why they have not been done, is our elected officials spend more time worrying about getting elected, eating pancakes and not ticking people off, than they do about our county, or their actual job. Which they are not doing.
spread the word

Tucker, GA

#19 Jan 15, 2013
People in Columbia as a rule don't get online often to read news.

Tell everyone you know about the state of things and that we need new leadership. Then tell them again. Then tell them again. We must let people know what's going on and how to fix it. Elect new officials. In every position. Elect new officials now!!!
spread the word

Tucker, GA

#20 Jan 15, 2013
reliable source wrote:
Would it be possible to find another use for the hospital? Find something that is in demand and change the facility to something that can bring money in. I'm sure that there is a lot involved, but something along these lines could possibly work. Could it possibly be part of Lindsey Wilson? Lindsey "saved" our infamous Golf Course, could this work for the hospital??
I doubt they want to sink 25 million into a falling apart building they can't use. That would zero the debt, so it would only cost them 300,000.00 a month from then on out.

Not gonna happen sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 22 min Strel 161,049
k.r.s investigations 1 hr Trust 8
Fabco 1 hr Trust 16
Wreck on 55 last night 1 hr Mr Twister 3
Jodie Janes 1 hr Yo no 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 2 hr Local 677
New Shopping Center 2 hr Truth 68
Blonde headed girl ponytail thief on Sano 20 hr Sano more 6
Charles Barnes Sat omg 12

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages