Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,730)

Showing posts 74,581 - 74,600 of81,196
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Thanks much for the good thoughts and prayers. My mom will appreciate it also. Have a good day!!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Kentucky wrote:
Good morning bird threaders. Roaming I pray your mother recovers soon.
AW fry up some sausage, after cooked, peel some taters and fry em up in that sausage grease. Serve with eggs over easy and toast. Lol
Hard on the arteries but great for the taste buds Lol :)
They are also hard on my gouty big toe. LOL which is why I eat the sliced hotdogs and potatoes grilled with no grease at all.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Plus, I have already had one open heart surgery and one carotid artery surgery and the taste buds are not nearly as important as being productive until the Creator says my labors are enough. I don't care about living a long time if I can't do a few things.
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Ouch. As I get older certain foods I love have a tendency to make my life miserable. *sigh*.
ky headhunter

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

stolen in Owingsville ky april 6th 2004 ford f250 super duty diesel. white four wheel drive. reward of 1000 dollars for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the thieves.has ky wildcat sticker in back window.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey everyone! What a storm yesterday, huh? I pulled the Harley out of storage and JUST got started on her, then the thunder started. Where there's thunder, there's deadly lightning.
I'm not one to tempt fate by sitting atop the wet ground, on an upturned 5 gallon bucket, dipping a sponge barehanded into another one full of soapy water, and wiping METAL while the skies are dark and rumbling. So I left her uncovered and let nature rinse the dirt and dust off that I'd not gotten to yet. Funny thing is, the rain doesn't even leave a clean rinse behind any more either.. Too much pollution any more. Perhaps today I'll get her finished up and polished. At least the main layer of dust was rinsed off of her... Not to say that she looks better then when I started, but at least I'm started.
I have already taken care of a lot of personal business today. With the new parrot kid it was a real hoot. I tried to talk to an insurance agent over the phone and could barely get anything taken care of for the bird laughing and then talking. He thought is was a kid in the house until I told him it was a parrot, hehe. In turn, my insurance agent was barely able to function for repeatedly laughing. I adore my critters, hehe! So in essence someone elses day was started with gut busting laughter too, thanks to one of my critter kids!! You just can't beat helping someone else laugh and have a good day, LOL!!:)
As a few of you also stated, I got some plants out yesterday just before the storm hit. Thankfully no hail came down. Got ALL of my 'maters out now, plus a new one that I bought a couple of days ago. I also purchased a new "Niagara" grape vine to place next to the other one I have out there. I got nary a grape last year, so obviously there was a pollination problem last spring/summer. Hopefully now that I've added another one of my OWN instead of waiting for whatever local vine was pollinating mine for the last few years, I won't have to worry about the insects to cross pollinate and "should" get a nice harvest later this summer again!!
Well, life is good in the House of Nope. I only pray that you all are doing as well today! I'll pop back in later to check up if I have the time! I have a new rose bush to put out today too. I noticed yesterday that my peonies have grown almost a foot this week! Tiny buds are showing up! I adore those peonies. The blooms make the house smell so divine floating in a bowl of water!!
God bless and keep everyone safe today!!
~~~ Later folks!!
I got the fatboy back on the road middle the of last week, it was great to be back on two wheels for the short jaunt. When you been riding for 43 years, you just don't seem "whole" unless your bike is road ready,,, anyway, have a good riding season.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the upgrade from "cheap" to "frugal", that does seem to be a bit more appropriate. I tried to come out of retirement but no one wanted someone this old except my chickens and their eggs has made that one old tithing quarter to not be so important any more. And with the free spam, I won't need to go to Sav-A-Lot of the Dollar Store until next week. I am thinking about getting up from here and slicing some Bar-S hot dogs long ways and fry them with some potatoes and save my spam for later. LOL
AW, you are NOT old. You are much wiser for your years and experience, and I suspect that you have aged gracefully, as does fine wine. The only problem in getting a part-time job when retired, is that the hours somehow keep creeping up. When I arrived in KY, I decided that I would work half-time, but before a year had passed, I was working for 60 or more hours per week....until the Lord told my body that was enough. Keep your mind active, enjoy friends, and kick back to watch the wonders of nature. From what little that I have gleaned about you, you certainly deserve it. Lala

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
I got the fatboy back on the road middle the of last week, it was great to be back on two wheels for the short jaunt. When you been riding for 43 years, you just don't seem "whole" unless your bike is road ready,,, anyway, have a good riding season.
I know what you mean, but my passion is riding on 4-legged critters, gaited horses in particular, which are smooth as silk in their way of going, and easy on the old bones. Not healthy enough to ride yet, but the day is coming!!!!! So glad to see that you have checked in. Missed you. Lala

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

BIG_STEVIE wrote:
WTF walks into 24 Hour Fitness and asks a trainer in the gym: "Ah wants to get me one of them purty gals, old buddy! How kin Ah do that? Is there one o' them thar machines that'll hep me git some o' them mus-kles, he-yuh, he-yuh?"
The trainer took one look at WTF, and replied; “In your case, and if you are really, REALLY rich, I'd recommend that you use the ATM, just outside the gym!!!"
LOL, good one, Stevie. Keep 'em coming. Lala

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I bet the chickens won't get all excited about wallowing in my freshly planted garden today. I will just be happy if Arthur don't make me drop my coffee cup. He makes such a mess! He spilled my pills all over the bathroom floor yesterday.
Arthur was the uninvited interloper at my house for the last two or three days. I tried everything that I could to evict him, but he would not go. Finally, I had to resort to my doctor's suggestions and I rid him for a couple of hours, but like clockwork, he comes back. He visits you. He visits Ann, Abeliever, and a few others who pop in. Arthur really gets around. He's going to get a terrible reputation of being promiscuous, and he does't even care if it's a man or woman he fools with. Geesh...
kevin

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Anne wrote:
Ouch. As I get older certain foods I love have a tendency to make my life miserable.*sigh*.
Certain foods I love have a tendency to make my loved one's lives miserable. ;>D
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

kevin wrote:
<quoted text>Certain foods I love have a tendency to make my loved one's lives miserable. ;>D
Ewww !! Kevin !!!! I heard that!! Lol
Anne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh! It's truly spring when the Harley's are out and the tops are down on the convertibles!! No motorcycles here anymore much to my husbands sorrow.
Brrrr....too cold for any of that today.:-(
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Good afterNoon birdthreaders. So happy to see Nope and Hempburn drop in. Where's Blue? I hope he is okay, working, and his dad is doing better. Belie?

Roaming: God Bless your mom with a speedy recovery. I feel for you. My mom almost died with it a couple years back, it is also when they discovered she had luekemia which in her 80's was not good. It took her last year. I miss her terribly. I hope you get to spend all the time with her as you can. I don't know how old she is but it does take longer for them to recover when they have age on them. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

lala, hope you get to feeling better. That temp drop got me in my bad knee. I was chilled all day yesterday and at one point had to turn the heat on. My internet was in and out all day so I laid around and watched movies most of the day fighting a migraine. We know AW ages well. We seen photos. Aging quite handsomely.:) Has anyone heard back from JPF/OGJ?

I cannot keep the bird feeder full enough for all the birds that keep hitting it. I am still giving them all my stale bread, cornbread, muffins and bisquits. They sing up a storm in between. Music to my ears. I have two pairs of Cardinals hanging around. I love to watch them.

Hempburn, I hope you enjoy the ride. I miss riding and still hang onto my leather and HD shirts. I haven't been on a bike in 5 years. I ache to ride again when I hear them blowing up the road to the strip they bar hop on. Love that roar. I hope little bisquit is doing well. Of course bigger now, I'm sure.

I also see we have a bunch of newcomers, or old posters with different names. lol Plus, the spammers dropping in with their nonsense as usual. Sure bugs people that the bird thread is still going and every post isn't about birds huh? hahaha

I am going to get out around 2 to meet up with some friends. Maybe go check out the bikers.:) I have known most of them since high school. They are a great bunch, do a lot of volunteering and toy runs etc..They are always around when you need them.

I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Strong earthquake hits western Japan, no tsunami warning

TOKYO (Reuters)- A 6.0 magnitude earthquake hit western Japan early on Saturday, but there were no immediate reports of damage and no tsunami warning was issued, the nation's meteorological agency reported.

"Although there may be slight sea-level changes in coastal regions, the earthquake caused no damage to Japan," the agency said on its website.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) initially reported the quake's magnitude at 6.3 and said it had its epicenter 24 miles northwest of Wakayama in western Honshu island, and occurred at a depth of 3.3 miles.

Kyodo news agency reported that was also no immediate reports of damage to the Ikata nuclear power plant in the area, citing its operator, Shikoku Electric Power Co..

http://news.yahoo.com/strong-earthquake-hits-...

And our MADRID FAULT ZONE is rumbling too:

Oklahoma
Magnitude: 2.5

Arkansas
Magnitude: 1.8

Alaska
Magnitude: 4.9

Utah, Washington, Nevada, California, and Hawaii, also had earthquakes. Some having several.

Elsewhere:

Papua New Guinea
Magnitude: 5.1

Chile
Magnitude: 5.0

Portugal
Magnitude: 4.7

Iran
Magnitude: 4.3

Indonesia
Magnitude: 4.3

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Just what Japan needs, another big earthquake.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

This one is for you Ancient Wolf:

Chicken goes on the run

A chicken really did run: A bird has flown the coop and, in a real-life version of the animated movie “Chicken Run,” made a daring escape by hiding in a delivery van in England.

The plucky bird apparently gave her owner, Melanie Brookes, the slip by hiding in the truck.

The driver was shocked when, at the next stop, 40 miles from home, the feathered escape artist made a run for it when he opened the doors.

Unlike the movie version, though, the chicken, along with 19 others, are pets of the 50-year-old Brookes. She runs a construction company with her family, not a chicken pot pie factory.

Seems like Agatha, who is named after mystery writer Agatha Christie, simply wanted to spread her wings and have an adventure.

Brookes explained to the Daily Mail,“She was named after Agatha Christie, so it's quite fitting she's created her own little mystery for us to solve.”

Agatha’s owner said at first she thought it wasn’t much of a mystery when the bird went missing: She assumed the worst, that a fox had made a tasty meal of her.

But then she remembered that the curious chicken had been hanging around the delivery van. She called and learned that a driver had been surprised to find a feathered stowaway.

“She's a very nosy chicken, and always poking her beak into what's going on—so we're not hugely surprised that she got herself into the back of a truck,” said Brookes.

It’s not clear how long Agatha had been hatching the plan, but so far, she has successfully evaded capture. Said Brookes,“We really miss having Agatha about—she's a real character, and we'd love to find her and bring her home.”

Agatha is not the first runway to make the news: A horse and zebra that escaped from a Staten Island petting zoo were spotted on video hitting the open road. They were eventually captured and brought back.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/chicken-...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

For lala and betty:

23 super-sweet photos of a little girl and her feline best friend

Kids and animals are a winning combination — this baby proved that when he took a nap with bulldog puppies, and this little boy drove the point home when he posed for adorable photos with his bud Max. Now, we have 4-year-old Katherine and her kitty friend Lilu (who's six years old, or roughly 42 in cat years). The Russian duo is captured in striking pictures by photographer dad Andy Prokh. Katherine and the family's British shorthair cat have been inseparable since the girl's birth, and Prokh is chronicling the growing-up process with this charming photo series. Are we crazy, or is there a family resemblance with little Kat and her cat?[Source]

http://now.msn.com/andy-prokh-photos-show-his...

I love the black and white photos. These are adorable. That cat is huge. Almost as big as she is. lol
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Very interesting indeed! Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I’ve never seen it written down like this before.

WATER
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 30%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?

Want more like this? Visit this link: http://tinyurl.com/b22zbrk

I have heard of some of these and though I try to drink allot of water, COKE and sweet tea are my drinks of choice. Those coke remedies make you wonder why you drink it. haha
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

For the BIRDS:

Raptor Resource Project
~ Videos of The Decorah Eagles from April 11th ~

(Click on the picture to enlarge it, and then click on the words "see more" to expand this post). There are two videos in this post from April 11th. This screen capture is of Dad feeding the eaglets, and from left to right it's, D15, D16 & D17. Many thanks to Jim for making the videos and the screen captures possible!

http://youtu.be/G_VkTvJioDY
4/11 (Home alone, more eats, territorial declaration) 4:00 pm CT - Something gets Dad's attention so he takes off from the nest leaving the eaglets home alone. D15 takes some time to preen and Dad quickly returns with a meal. Dad takes a few bites for himself and then begins to offer some to the eaglets. After feeding for a few minutes Dad decides it's time for them to nap and shimmys over them. Mom returns and shortly after that, Dad makes a territory declaration, but Mom does not seem bothered. At 7:23 into the video Mom and Dad do some sweet "beaking" and then Dad gets up and takes off.

http://youtu.be/JQJYXCbTyn4
4/11 (Mom and Dad feed together, take a break, then have a discussion) 6:15pm CT - Dad is eating and decides to give Mom a few bites. Mom moves closer to Dad, perhaps too close. Dad gives Mom a definite "beak snarl" so Mom then talon-toes over to the front side of the nest to begin feeding the eaglets. Mom feeds for a very short time, walks around the nest, and then takes off. Dad then does an eaglet shimmy for a short feeding intermission. As the scene changes Dad is still nest sitting when Mom flies back in. Mom gives Dad the signal that it's time for her to nest sit, and we see another "beak-snarl" from Dad. Reluctantly, Dad finally gets up and then takes off.

Enjoy! Amazing videos of mom and dad feeding. And dad getting testy with mom. hahaha
Buffet

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

It's a very beautiful day today, so beautiful that'll I'll enjoy some spam outside. I hope the decent people of North Korea get to have their fair share of spam when communism finally collapses over there.

Have a good day, have some spam.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 74,581 - 74,600 of81,196
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Columbia Forum right now

Search the Columbia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Commietator 138,535
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min Mike Duquette 122,664
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 29 min Monsenor Fidel Tubino 16,066
Guys, how many women have you slept with? (Apr '12) 2 hr Mike 49
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr redeemer 25,971
John Shelton and Jamie Usrey getting Married 4 hr Clearly 9
yard mowers 5 hr Just Saying 6
Wet/Dry petition 6 hr No way 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbia People Search