KSP arrests Russell Co., KY Deputy af...

KSP arrests Russell Co., KY Deputy after burglary investigation

There are 270 comments on the Columbia Magazine story from Jan 5, 2013, titled KSP arrests Russell Co., KY Deputy after burglary investigation. In it, Columbia Magazine reports that:

KSP arrests Russell Co., KY Deputy after burglary investigation By Larry Smith, FM 92.7, the WAVE Russell County Deputy Sheriff Nick Bertram was arrested on Friday evening, by Kentucky State Trooper Martin Wesley of KSP Post 15, Columbia, KY, and charged with 3rd Degree Burglary, Possession of Marijuana, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, Tampering ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbia Magazine.

Jerod

Means, KY

#423 Feb 15, 2013
In district court the defendant has a prelim hearing to see if enough evidence to take to the grand jury. The charges were dropped. If the KSP were going to take action, it would have been at this time.
well

Elizabethtown, KY

#424 Feb 15, 2013
Jerod wrote:
In district court the defendant has a prelim hearing to see if enough evidence to take to the grand jury. The charges were dropped. If the KSP were going to take action, it would have been at this time.
Shearer stated the state police IS going to present the WHOLE case to grand jury on 2/26/2013. This is FAR from being over for Nick. Double jeopardy has not happened Jerod.
Shearer could not do anything with the case, because of STATE an/or FEDERAL charges MAY or MAY NOT be charged on Nick.
Jerod

Means, KY

#426 Feb 15, 2013
Did you read the article in the Columbia Mag? That is what I am going by and if KSP dropped charges it is over. As I stated, most criminal cases have a preliminary hearing in district court to see if the judge thinks there is enough evidence to hold the case over to the grand jury. The judge dismissed the case. If KSP had a case, that was their opportunity to present. I know DJ did not happen.
Hal

Russell Springs, KY

#427 Feb 15, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Shearer stated the state police IS going to present the WHOLE case to grand jury on 2/26/2013. This is FAR from being over for Nick. Double jeopardy has not happened Jerod.
Shearer could not do anything with the case, because of STATE an/or FEDERAL charges MAY or MAY NOT be charged on Nick.
What if any Federal laws were broken for US Attorneys office to take notice of this case?
KSP

Elizabethtown, KY

#428 Feb 15, 2013
KSP has NOT dropped ANY charges! We are going for with are case to a higher court.
hello

Elizabethtown, KY

#429 Feb 15, 2013
So what!
true or not true

Elizabethtown, KY

#430 Feb 15, 2013
Did anyone notice the radio station said nick was charges back in July?

Someone doesn't have the dates right or something.

“Transmitido En Espanol”

Since: Mar 07

Bonerland

#432 Feb 16, 2013
Notice how Laker Country refuses to put the story about the dismissal of charges on their website? They sure were quick to splatter his name all over the place when he was arrested.

Typical slanted (I use the term loosely) "journalism".

So What

Russell Springs, KY

#433 Feb 16, 2013
You people are idiots. You obviously have no clue how the system works. The prosecutor could not move forward with charges in local court. Nick cannot get his job back nor work in law enforcement ever again and will probably be formally termined as soon as the indictment happens. The felony charges are going forward on the 26th and he will be indicted in federal court. There will be no plea deal after the one the offered other day. It will go to trial. He obviously thinks he is innocent or he is misguided, or he would have taken a deal already.

Believe what you want, but that is the facts as of now.
So What

Russell Springs, KY

#434 Feb 16, 2013
Lex Lutheran wrote:
Notice how Laker Country refuses to put the story about the dismissal of charges on their website? They sure were quick to splatter his name all over the place when he was arrested.
Typical slanted (I use the term loosely) "journalism".
The reason is because the charges are still pending, not totally dismissed. It is called more accurate journalism than what the Columbia Magazine reported and the WAVE.
Jerod

Means, KY

#435 Feb 16, 2013
So What wrote:
You people are idiots. You obviously have no clue how the system works. The prosecutor could not move forward with charges in local court. Nick cannot get his job back nor work in law enforcement ever again and will probably be formally termined as soon as the indictment happens. The felony charges are going forward on the 26th and he will be indicted in federal court. There will be no plea deal after the one the offered other day. It will go to trial. He obviously thinks he is innocent or he is misguided, or he would have taken a deal already.
Believe what you want, but that is the facts as of now.
Where did you get this info? The feds usually do not discuss in public what they are taking to the grand jury. Your statement is full of non facts, like getting his job back, will be indicted, will go to trial. These are either your assumptions or something you just made up. Is it in print or did the feds choose to tell just you?
Hear No Evil

Murray, KY

#436 Feb 16, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason is because the charges are still pending, not totally dismissed. It is called more accurate journalism than what the Columbia Magazine reported and the WAVE.
Would that be the same station that ignored the state trooper's gun being found in the school gym by an inmate?

“Transmitido En Espanol”

Since: Mar 07

Bonerland

#437 Feb 16, 2013
So What wrote:
<quoted text>
Accuracy has nothing to do with it. The story was that the charges were dismissed in court. If charges are re-filed, then that would be yet another story. Can you grasp that?
So What

Russell Springs, KY

#438 Feb 16, 2013
You are all right. I am making it all up. Have a good day.
no clue

Elizabethtown, KY

#439 Feb 16, 2013
Jerod wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get this info? The feds usually do not discuss in public what they are taking to the grand jury. Your statement is full of non facts, like getting his job back, will be indicted, will go to trial. These are either your assumptions or something you just made up. Is it in print or did the feds choose to tell just you?
You don't know whom you might be talking to. Now do you
Jerod

Means, KY

#441 Feb 16, 2013
no clue wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know whom you might be talking to. Now do you
Not really, do not really care.
i know

Russell Springs, KY

#443 Feb 18, 2013
just you and all of team nick just wait and see what happens the water is yet to get hot yet but its coming soon
jury member

Russell Springs, KY

#444 Feb 19, 2013
KSP wrote:
KSP has NOT dropped ANY charges! We are going for with are case to a higher court.
I am on the grand jury and I assure you NICK WILL NOT BE INDICTED!!!!!!!!!!
So What

Russell Springs, KY

#445 Feb 19, 2013
Update coming today, so I hear.
So What

Russell Springs, KY

#446 Feb 19, 2013
jury member wrote:
<quoted text> I am on the grand jury and I assure you NICK WILL NOT BE INDICTED!!!!!!!!!!
I find this HIGHLY unlikely and I would hope to God a real member of the Grand Jury would not post on TOPIX.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min ChromiuMan 164,864
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 52 min bugs 908
Bridget & Hump 11 hr is that right 15
Painter 16 hr Traveler 6
Young man looking for experienced woman 23 hr Curious 11
Candace eller wooten Tue Tom 7
needsome Tue kong 2

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages