Columbia Lakes becoming the next mini...

Columbia Lakes becoming the next mini-Dupo

Posted in the Columbia Forum

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
SayNo

Waterloo, IL

#1 Jun 29, 2011
So I see there are plans on putting more rental housing, including apartments and a hotel up there. I hope the families that have homes there know their values will DECREASE. Rental property means lower-income people that leads to crime, more police calls, trashy cars driving around, all-night parties. Don't believe me look at some of the people that rent the apartments there now. Or better yet go look at some of the rental properties in Dupo, South County, Arnold to see what the future will look like. Not to mention all the noise from the heavy equipment, gravel, dust and mud on the roads, and trucks that will be driving in and out for years. I hightly doubt the rents will be high to attract decent families, but low to fill in the vacancies by whoever so the landlords makes a quick profit. If I were looking to buy a house I would not want to live around rental properties which is another factor why the home values will decrease and be hard to sell for the asking price.
NO WAY

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Jun 29, 2011
I tried to tell everyone about this months ago on another thread.
Just got laughed off topix.
Glad I did not buy a house up there.
Don't they even care about their future?
Say no to WHO

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jun 29, 2011
Where are you getting this information? A hotel? Who in the world would put another hotel in Columbia? In case you didn't notice, a brand new one just went in behind CVS. We hardly have the traffic to suport two. Sounds like a big bunch of bull being thrown out by the drama llamas to stir up shit.
NO WAY

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jun 29, 2011
An YOU sound like someone who stands to make a profit from this development.
Say no to WHO wrote:
Where are you getting this information? A hotel? Who in the world would put another hotel in Columbia? In case you didn't notice, a brand new one just went in behind CVS. We hardly have the traffic to suport two. Sounds like a big bunch of bull being thrown out by the drama llamas to stir up shit.
SayNo

Waterloo, IL

#5 Jun 29, 2011
It's on the front page of the Clarion titled "Mega development for Columbia Lakes". As for the hotel, yeah there is one in town, but it's in a semi-bad location and mainly only caters to The Falls. Maybe this one will be a motel since it's right off the major highways for all the heroin addicts to shoot-up and johns with their escorts.
Say no to WHO

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 29, 2011
Why, just because I said this sounds like BS? If I wanted to make money I sure as hell would not put ANOTHER hotel in Columbia. Nice try but I am not an investor, I'm a homeowner. Just because I live there doesn't mean I'm going to believe some crazy sound off that fails to offer any documentation or factual support to back up their claims.
NO WAY

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Jun 29, 2011
Google this:
mega development columbia lakes
Funny

Waterloo, IL

#9 Jun 29, 2011
SayNo wrote:
So I see there are plans on putting more rental housing, including apartments and a hotel up there. I hope the families that have homes there know their values will DECREASE. Rental property means lower-income people that leads to crime, more police calls, trashy cars driving around, all-night parties. Don't believe me look at some of the people that rent the apartments there now. Or better yet go look at some of the rental properties in Dupo, South County, Arnold to see what the future will look like. Not to mention all the noise from the heavy equipment, gravel, dust and mud on the roads, and trucks that will be driving in and out for years. I hightly doubt the rents will be high to attract decent families, but low to fill in the vacancies by whoever so the landlords makes a quick profit. If I were looking to buy a house I would not want to live around rental properties which is another factor why the home values will decrease and be hard to sell for the asking price.
Columbia Lakes is already a mini Dupo. Blacks and white trash all over the place.
OMG

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jun 29, 2011
The Columbia Planning Commission already has approved the proposal.
the thing is

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jun 29, 2011
that land up there has been zoned multi family and commercial for over 20+ years. The only reason it took this long to develop is that the economy went in the toilet. If the developer follows all existing guidelines and rules he doesn't even have to come before the council he can just apply for building permits. If shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and its nothing that the council or Mayor is "allowing" it is simply business. On the good side I believe that this is the last land is Columbia that is zoned for multi family. I am sure the planning commission approved the plan is because it fits in with the current zoning and plans for the area. If you want to be mad at anyone you will need to go back to the late 80's and see who approved the zoning.
Ferris Bueller

Glen Carbon, IL

#12 Jun 29, 2011
I took a ride up there the other day and the whole neighborhood is really looking run down.
SayNo

Falls Church, VA

#13 Jun 29, 2011
When this project starts, all the houses there ranging in the 200s will be in the mid 100s. Everyone needs to realize that as farmers or large land owners sell off parts of their land to these developers its going to end up as strip malls, fast-food restuarants, and rental housing. Sure it generates work and tax income for the city, but soon Columbia will be looking like Fairview Heights and with all the concrete buildings and traffic. Look how built up and conjested Waterloo is starting to look.
reality check

United States

#14 Jun 29, 2011
the thing is wrote:
that land up there has been zoned multi family and commercial for over 20+ years. The only reason it took this long to develop is that the economy went in the toilet. If the developer follows all existing guidelines and rules he doesn't even have to come before the council he can just apply for building permits. If shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and its nothing that the council or Mayor is "allowing" it is simply business. On the good side I believe that this is the last land is Columbia that is zoned for multi family. I am sure the planning commission approved the plan is because it fits in with the current zoning and plans for the area. If you want to be mad at anyone you will need to go back to the late 80's and see who approved the zoning.
The Council and the Honorable (?) mayor can vote against this regardless. Any yes, this may be the last of Columbia zoned this way, but the idiots who allowed Columbia years ago to get landlocked are the real morons. Waterloo has practically anexed all the land up the YMCA and to the east it goes into St Clair county of which they get the tax revenue, not Columbia. The west-all flood plains and mostly unbuildable. The North-Again St Clair county mostly or eyesores you dont want in Columbia. Columbia is landlocked and the former leaders let most of it get away, especially to Waterloo which was more agressive.
Strange Choice

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jun 30, 2011
I thought Lego Land and the New Mall ideas were great.
This idea seems bad without any good side effects.
Once the construction is over then the JOBS are gone.
Columbia Mommy

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Jun 30, 2011
If the council and mayor vote against it with no cause, they open the city up to legal issues if the developer chooses to sue. As long as the developer adheres to all of the rules and guidelines, they cannot legally turn him away.
Question

Columbia, IL

#17 Jun 30, 2011
Does anyone know if the hotel will have hourly rates and parking behind the building? I need a place to take the mistress.
Question

Addison, IL

#18 Jun 30, 2011
Question, why do you have to take a serious forum and post something so idiotic. Topix should be a positive place where people can honestly and without unnecesary comments, be allowed to discuss activities and events around town. Maybe instead of posting on Topix, you get an education and then you can add something with substance to the conversation.
question

Columbia, IL

#19 Jun 30, 2011
Question wrote:
Question, why do you have to take a serious forum and post something so idiotic. Topix should be a positive place where people can honestly and without unnecesary comments, be allowed to discuss activities and events around town. Maybe instead of posting on Topix, you get an education and then you can add something with substance to the conversation.
I was being serious. It gets old driving 20 miles to a seedy motel, it would be nice if we had one in our own community.
Xxxx

Maryland Heights, MO

#20 Jun 30, 2011
Question wrote:
Question, why do you have to take a serious forum and post something so idiotic. Topix should be a positive place where people can honestly and without unnecesary comments, be allowed to discuss activities and events around town. Maybe instead of posting on Topix, you get an education and then you can add something with substance to the conversation.
I work with lots of educated people who cant add anything of substance to any conversation. But, your point about unneccesary comments is right on.
question

Columbia, IL

#21 Jun 30, 2011
Question wrote:
Question, why do you have to take a serious forum and post something so idiotic. Topix should be a positive place where people can honestly and without unnecesary comments, be allowed to discuss activities and events around town. Maybe instead of posting on Topix, you get an education and then you can add something with substance to the conversation.
Is this my wife?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BJ Pretzeldick for jail 4 hr Rollo 12
nfl 5 hr Rollo 8
Rollo is a diiiippppshiiitttt 9 hr Mamma Rollo 59
Rollo is a diiiippppshiiitttt 9 hr Mamma Rollo 13
Rollo is a diiiippppshiiitttt 9 hr Mamma Rollo 7
Rollo is a diiiippppshiiitttt 9 hr Rollo 5
Rollo is a diiiippppshiiitttt 9 hr Mamma Rollo 6

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages