Mary Ellen Niemetz needs to GO!
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Helping Mary Out

Montgomery, AL

#42 Apr 5, 2013
Are you really reading the topic or just trying to be another typical Democrat and go off and write about stuff you don't know a thing about.
Yes the economy has been bad the last few years, has it gotten better with the Mayor and sted fast good ole boy club of Alderman? Not very, they have been given their chance and it has shown that they want nothing more than to pump up their egos by saying they have mastered the develeptment of Main St.
As for the pet project Mary Ellen is salivating over is not a priorty, so then why was it the first question asked at the Canidates Forum? Take care of the important issues and the pipe dreams will follow.
Thanks for the geology lesson, but then you still have no idea what your talking about. I was saying that the ditches next to Valmeyer rd and Veterans, by the bowling alley, are not maintained to handle the drainage when it rains. The City put in a new drain pipe to allow the water to go to the creek accross Valmeyer but let it go and it is non functional. You say it does not get two feet of water when it rains, try to drive your car through the intersection and you will find it has been blocked of by the City with Barricades.
Now lets talk about roads and sidewalks. Do we not pay a tax for the roads everytime we buy gas? Is it not up to the Code Enforcer to enforce codes? So the roads can crumble and become a safety hazard to the public, but lets just wash our hands of any responsibility. Why then would the City contract with Firestone to repair City Vehicles if they can't maintain a safe enviroment? As for sidewalks, you are talking out the side of your mouth. Mary Ellen Niemietz said if we had more sidewalks, it would cut down on the Obesity problem in Columbia, again going back to her pet project. Sidewalks not being built is easy for a minion like your self to blame it on someone who saw the money wasn't going to where it was suppose to so got rid of it. The City has a maintained right of way whioh could be used to keep the children walking home from school or to the fast food places or to the park SAFE, without having to walk in traffic. As for the light not staying green long enough during busy hours, easy fix.
So what it comes down to you blame the U5 (Bush), The City does not own the streets and it was the contractors fault (payoffs) that corners were cut. The Safety of the public doesn't matter as long as we can get an Illegal Contract for a developtment at the Bottoms, Sale Tax Incetives (TIF) for new business, and the flooding is God's fault?
USVoter

Saint Louis, MO

#43 Apr 5, 2013
City ordinances limited the way revenue from the City Sticker program could be spent and sidewalks was one of the few permitted uses. The city had a plan for sidewalk improvements from the revenue, but when the U5 managed to eliminate the city sticker program, so went the sidewalk improvement plan. That's one of the reasons the Temple Street sidewalk project took so long to start.
mike

Columbia, IL

#44 Apr 5, 2013
so you think taxing only the cars of people that live here was fair? people that drove here but live somewhere else didn't pay the tax. people that live here but had cars somewhere else didn't pay the tax.
Taxes need to have some kind of relationship to the expenditure. the sticker tax had no relationship to the expenditures it was just taxing a group of people for an arbitrary reason. should we tax redheads to pay for flowers at city hall? it might take columbians a while to realize they are getting shafted but eventually we catch on.
Citizen

Montgomery, AL

#45 Apr 5, 2013
USVoter wrote:
City ordinances limited the way revenue from the City Sticker program could be spent and sidewalks was one of the few permitted uses. The city had a plan for sidewalk improvements from the revenue, but when the U5 managed to eliminate the city sticker program, so went the sidewalk improvement plan. That's one of the reasons the Temple Street sidewalk project took so long to start.
So there was NO other revenue for the building of sidewalks? There is NO revenue to maintain the roads the city says it owns? They sure were concerned about safety, when I questioned why it took 2 people to drive around and read water meters. They then used their right of way clause, which was not on theirs to cut bushes down in front of my house. This town is who you know, who you can buy, pump up your ego, or get on your knees for. If the City is going to allow developtment of Fast Foods by the Schools where the children will be walking then make it safe, period.
Helping Brad wife

Saint Louis, MO

#46 Apr 5, 2013
Geology / History lesson Number 2 – The creek you are talking about that runs along Valmeyer road by the bowling alley is called Carr Creek. And now for a history lesson, before even the levees were built this creek would over flow due to the High Mississippi River stage. Just think, this would happen when there were no levee protecting the bottoms and the river had a lager path to flow. The farm where the Market place is was the Weilbacher farm. When they were getting ready to build the bowling alley (1970’s), Mr. Weilbacher told them to raise the building higher to prevent it from flooding. This man if alive today would be well over 110 years old. So you see this man who farmer this ground and grew up in the same house knew what the Mississippi could do to this Carr Creek a natural flow into the Mississippi.
In 1993 during the Big Floor water was backing up everywhere along Carr Creek. Several homes along the back of Car Creek had to Sand Bag their home in West Park. But I guess you would not know this since you only have lived in Columbia a few years and do not understand what Mother Nature can do. But you seem to know everything and want to ignore the advice of people that have lived here a long time and understand the nature of this creek.
Carr Creek starts well outside of Columbia and travels through several wooded area and farm ground picking up debris as it goes. Has the Creek been clean out before, yes but once again Mother Nature fills it back up again with debris after one good rain. If you feel that it would be worth the money to travel this Carr Creek several times a year cleaning it out. Just tells us where that money is going to come from.
mike

Columbia, IL

#47 Apr 5, 2013
maybe mary ellen can take all those walking trail millions and clean the creek. lol
helping Mike

Saint Louis, MO

#48 Apr 5, 2013
So Mike you are you do not understand the word Proposed! If the Grant money comes in to build them, they should take that money and spend it on cleaning out the creek?
You complain about a proposed item that they are seek grants to build, but you are saying they are wasting money by getting donations to build them? Where is the logic coming from?
Citizen

Montgomery, AL

#49 Apr 5, 2013
So with your history lesson thank you, but you missed the point. What did the city do when it cut into the pavement and put in a drain pipe to Carr Creek. You still don't understand that if the City would dig those ditches along the side of the road and help it flow into the creek that area would not flood. So why do you keep harping on the Mississippi back flowing. That is not the flooding I am questioning, as for what you keep saying is a proposal, so was the Columbia Crossing was a proposal that was an illegal contract with this Mayor and Mary Ellen Niemietz were involved with. A grant isn't free money, comes from somewhere and most likely taxpayers.
Not again

Saint Louis, MO

#50 Apr 5, 2013
Kevin's minions are resorting to just flat out lieing - again. The city sticker tax was never really used for sidewalks. Gene Ebersohl used to say the city sticker tax was going to build Temple Street sidewalk. He said that for about 10 years. It never happened - the money just went into the general fund and was frittered away on everything but sidewalks. What's ironic is that AFTER the city sticker tax went away, THEN Temple Street sidewalk finally got built.

Kevin and Niemietz and their backers who defend this tax just show utter disregard for taxpayers. Folks paid about $8 a sticker. It cost the city about $3 a sticker to mail out the notice, print the stickers, mail out the actual sticker again, and all the administrative effort it took to collect the payments, track the sticker # to the car, etc. I would not donate to a charity that spent $3 of every $8 it collected on administrative expenses, and Niemietz shouldn't expect taxpayers to do it either.
Columbian

Montgomery, AL

#51 Apr 6, 2013
So let's get back on Topic, What Has Mary Ellen Niemietz done for her ward? We need to get rid of the waste and bring in someone with fresh ideas. Not keep someone that has pipe dreams, and delusions of grandure.
I lSpeaking of sidewalks

Waterloo, IL

#52 Apr 6, 2013
The sidewalk from market place to route 3 would have never been built but for the efforts of Hejna and Stumpf
No Sidewalks

Montgomery, AL

#53 Apr 6, 2013
I lSpeaking of sidewalks wrote:
The sidewalk from market place to route 3 would have never been built but for the efforts of Hejna and Stumpf
It still amazes me that there are no sidewalks on Veterans where you have numerous kids walking after school, and during other hours to get some fast food or while walking into Market Place. Where are you Mary Ellen? Can't even go for a walk with the spouse or dogs without having to walk on the street. Many close calls at night. Again where are your priorities Mary Ellen Niemietz? You work for the people of Ward 4, remember that.
Mary Ellen

Saint Louis, MO

#54 Apr 6, 2013
To No Sidewalks - I agree with you of course there should be sidewalks there. But I have only been an alderman for 20 years. If you will re-elect me for another 20 years I promise you I will get this done.
George

Valmeyer, IL

#55 Apr 7, 2013
I lSpeaking of sidewalks wrote:
They finally got Cherry Street done too. Once Coonrad was gone.
Mr_Brady

Millstadt, IL

#56 Apr 8, 2013
One word – INTEGRITY. If Columbia voters really care about integrity, they won’t vote for Kevin Hutchinson or Mary Ellen Niemietz. Three examples:
1) Kevin and Mary Ellen wanted Columbia Crossing so badly they flat out lied to citizens about its benefits. They promised a 35% cut-through to the school district, when they knew from prior cases that such a cut-through was illegal.
2) Kevin secretly investigated a private citizen, Rita Diehl, at tax payer expense, because she disagreed with his policies, and then he was caught lying about it. This was on the front page of the Belleville News Democrat. Mary Ellen, incredibly, supported Kevin on this. This is called fascism.
3) Kevin and Wes Hoeffken subjected Donna Mehaffey, Deputy City Clerk, to an after-hours two-on-one review at night in order to intimidate her. Again Personnel Chair Mary Ellen supported Kevin. Ms. Mehaffey rightfully filed an EEOC complaint, and we taxpayers then had to pay out thousands to defend Kevin and Wes’ idiotic actions.
Had Enough

Waterloo, IL

#57 Apr 8, 2013
It is almost time to vote out the Douche Bags that have been feeding at the public trough too long. Mary Ellen Niemietz and Kevin Hutchinson have wasted taxpayers money on law suits and illegal doings that the people of Columbia surely would agree we have had enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Recliner 34 min Senior Citizen 1
Showdown Saturday at 457 Godin 4 hr The Don 8
where is shady brian 19 hr The Don 6
Mike Wilson 19 hr Richard Rollo 10
Friday night Showdown on Godin Sat Trucker 8
457 Godin for rent Sat The real Mike Wil... 3
real estate Sat Laughing out loud 6

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance