Mary Ellen Niemetz needs to GO!

Mary Ellen Niemetz needs to GO!

Posted in the Columbia Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Voter

Waterloo, IL

#1 Mar 23, 2013
Has anyone taken note that this out of touch Alderwoman doesn't give a damn about the People in her own ward? She has never in the 6yrs I have known her, to ever take concern about what is going on except when she wants your vote. Then it is a fake concern, with no results. If you have concerns, or an issue that needs to be resolved, you must make time for Her. You must make time to go to City Council meetings, which is making time for Her. She rarely if ever has made an attempt to inform her constituents on issues that may cost the City a lot of money, unless you make time for Her. I know she wasn't voted in so I could make time for Her, but she is here for US. She wants to spend $4.2 million on a bike/walking trail? Where will that money come from? What is her agenda? Does she need to attend the Convention of Mayors in Chicago every year to party it up? I don't think so, tell that to the voters what you and others cost the taxpayers with your all expense paid trip. Time to get someone who respects the people and not there to swoon over the Mayor and vote for stuff you know nothing about.
Bonus

United States

#2 Mar 24, 2013
No one cares more about this city. Don't buy into this crap people. If you aren't in office, you can say anything you want about the incumbents.
Seen her wrath

Valmeyer, IL

#3 Mar 24, 2013
Delusional arrogance, luvs TIF, luvs Grewe, has spiteful streak to those that don't genuflect to her greatness.
Bonus

United States

#4 Mar 24, 2013
Like I said...make it all up.
Voter2

Waterloo, IL

#5 Mar 24, 2013
First of all, if you are going to malign someone, spell the name correctly. You are very spiteful. Did you ever speak to her or any of the other members of the City Council and Mayor? Apparently, your schedule is much too busy and it is easier to hide behind an anonymous email. If you really did know her and her passion for the City, you would know how dedicated she is, how many hours she spend for the good of the City, and how hard she works for Columbia. If you attended the forum, you would know how knowledgeable she is about all aspects of City Government - that goes for both her and the Mayor. To insinuate they knew the questions before they responded is calling them dishonest, as well as the Chamber of Commerce who hosted the forum. You harp on monies spent. Ever heard of grants that are used to benefit the City? Educate yourself. What monies have been misspent? I'll bet you never show up at a public meeting or provide input. How much time do you donate to or for the benefit of the City? You seem to have a lot of time to spread venom on this website.
Steve

Waterloo, IL

#6 Mar 24, 2013
I live in her ward, and have only seen her when she came around two elections ago looking for a vote. I showed her several things that needed to be addressed. No reply, as she told me she would look into it and get back with me. She assured me that she was not part of the "Good Ole Boy Club". Then I saw her after the last election, when there was a celebration party, and I tried to talk to her about the issues discussed a few years earlier, and she turned her back to me and walked away to go get another drink. Now she seems concerned about what was discussed when I first met her? I brought up new concerns, and her reply was, "We didn't have a city engineer back then when the development was built." The city did have a building inspector, or the county to sign off building permits, and enforce building codes. Wow, so the City signed off the occupancy permit when I bought my house knowing it isn't up to CODE? Typical answer from these people in office, blame it on someone else instead of taking charge and investigating why her ward has a history of terrible construction and code violations that should never have happened, and who is actually to blame for it. Then try to get it corrected, but no she has other plans to build a biking trail that will cost us more in property taxes. As for you Bonus, it appears you don't live here, so if you did you would know, her Ward comes first then the other issues in the City.
Voter

Waterloo, IL

#7 Mar 24, 2013
Voter2 wrote:
First of all, if you are going to malign someone, spell the name correctly. You are very spiteful. Did you ever speak to her or any of the other members of the City Council and Mayor? Apparently, your schedule is much too busy and it is easier to hide behind an anonymous email. If you really did know her and her passion for the City, you would know how dedicated she is, how many hours she spend for the good of the City, and how hard she works for Columbia. If you attended the forum, you would know how knowledgeable she is about all aspects of City Government - that goes for both her and the Mayor. To insinuate they knew the questions before they responded is calling them dishonest, as well as the Chamber of Commerce who hosted the forum. You harp on monies spent. Ever heard of grants that are used to benefit the City? Educate yourself. What monies have been misspent? I'll bet you never show up at a public meeting or provide input. How much time do you donate to or for the benefit of the City? You seem to have a lot of time to spread venom on this website.
I did attend the forum at CMS, of course anyone would look knowledgeable about all aspects of the City if there was prepared statements in front of you. I did try to meet with all the candidates, and I did find Holenkamp in the corner with Mary Ellen's husband chumming it up. He told me he couldn't run against her, because "She would be tough to beat." You say it was hosted by the Chamber of Commerce? Why was there a big Thank You at the end to the PFC for hosting it? As for money being misspent, it sure hasn't gone to our Ward. Why then did she come up to one gentleman, and sound so concerned about an issue that was brought to her attention years ago. I think he also showed her a video of something else that he was more concerned about than the previous issue. I guess if she acted concerned he might vote for her. I have plenty of time to talk with her, but her answer is meet me at the City Council meetings, or go to the City Website, or ask the City Engineer, never has she made time for me or anyone else I have spoken to about issues important to US in her ward. Also grant money would come from where? Will it cover the whole cost? What about maintenance of the trail, maintained by the City? It will eventually cost us more money in taxes for her pet project. You need to look at the whole picture, looks good on paper but in reality, more wasted spending. Oh yeah, the School Board got up and spoke on the new Ag program and the City's contribution of funds to build a Green House? As our schools are in dire straits and having to restructure due to not having money? Could be used in a more fiscally responsible way.
Bonus

United States

#8 Mar 24, 2013
Maybe the people at the forum that had better answers, just really are more knowledgeable?
Voter2

Waterloo, IL

#9 Mar 24, 2013
Voter - you seem to have all the answers. Why aren't you running for office if you are so concerned?
Voter

Waterloo, IL

#10 Mar 24, 2013
Voter2 wrote:
Voter - you seem to have all the answers. Why aren't you running for office if you are so concerned?
You don't get it, she was voted in and now it is up for the people to Vote her out. I don't have all the answers or I would run, that is why we have elections hoping the person elected, represents us and not their own interest. However what I stated in my last post were facts. Does that upset you, or are you just going to turn to the old stand by and try to get off on some other subject? What has she done since she has been in office? Has she really served the people in her ward with distinction and servitude or has it been to promote her own agenda and side with the Mayor on every issue. Should she be attending the conference in Chicago with her husband on the taxpayers dime? Has she even taken time to explore why the flooding at Valmeyer rd and Veterans floods every time it rains? How about the congested traffic by the McDonald's with the traffic lights? These are things that should be noticed since she lives in the area, yet the problems have not even been considered but have gotten worse. Please tell me, do you have any answers to these questions?
Neighbor

Waterloo, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2013
Mary Ellen Niemietz is a wonderful caring individual, NOT. Her ego isn't that big, just ask her she will make you feel like a minion. Never seen her, except in City Council meetings, agreeing with Kevin on every issue, parades, fund raisers or parties for the Democrats, and Columbia Daze. I guess she is ok?
Bored

Waterloo, IL

#12 Mar 24, 2013
I have been watching this topic, and will say that "voter" makes some valid points. First let me say that I was born and raised in this town. Went off to College and worked out of state for many years. I moved back almost 10 years ago to take a job in St Louis. When I returned this town had changed. Not only for the growth in population but the change of Main St. I read what "Steve" wrote, by the way not his real name, and I know about the issues he has had since moving here with the property he purchased. I know that he spoke with Mary Ellen and 2 other alderman, the city engineer, and the Mayor with no results. I sympathize with his plight. She was elected to the City Council and is on many committees. So here is what is posted on her duties with the City,
Committees:
Chairman - Parks, Playgrounds & Recreation
Member - Ambulance, Radio Communication & Dispatch
Executive & Rules
Municipal Buildings, Property, Capital Improvements
Ordinance, Planning & Zoning
Personnel
Refuse Collection & Recycling
Streets, Sidewalks, Drainage & Public Utilities
Education
so it should not be too much for her to try and help a fellow that is just trying to make a home here. There are comments posted here that directly correspond to the committees she is on. Best of Luck.
CHECK THE WEBSITE

Columbia, IL

#13 Mar 24, 2013
If you need answers check the city website. Everything about the city is on there.
voter 3

Waterloo, IL

#14 Mar 25, 2013
fake fake fake
I want to know

Waterloo, IL

#15 Mar 25, 2013
voter 3 wrote:
fake fake fake
who or what is fake? The City website, Mary Ellen, or the other poster's on here?
Yep

United States

#16 Mar 25, 2013
Little fish in a tiny pond. Overinflated egos. What a joke.
yepper

Waterloo, IL

#17 Mar 26, 2013
So I take it you agree with the posts on the Mayor and Mary Ellen are correct, and it is time for them to get voted out?
Occupancy Permits

Waterloo, IL

#18 Mar 26, 2013
Steve wrote:
I live in her ward, and have only seen her when she came around two elections ago looking for a vote. I showed her several things that needed to be addressed. No reply, as she told me she would look into it and get back with me. She assured me that she was not part of the "Good Ole Boy Club". Then I saw her after the last election, when there was a celebration party, and I tried to talk to her about the issues discussed a few years earlier, and she turned her back to me and walked away to go get another drink. Now she seems concerned about what was discussed when I first met her? I brought up new concerns, and her reply was, "We didn't have a city engineer back then when the development was built." The city did have a building inspector, or the county to sign off building permits, and enforce building codes. Wow, so the City signed off the occupancy permit when I bought my house knowing it isn't up to CODE? Typical answer from these people in office, blame it on someone else instead of taking charge and investigating why her ward has a history of terrible construction and code violations that should never have happened, and who is actually to blame for it. Then try to get it corrected, but no she has other plans to build a biking trail that will cost us more in property taxes. As for you Bonus, it appears you don't live here, so if you did you would know, her Ward comes first then the other issues in the City.
Agree, how can the City of Columbia sign off on an occupancy permit if the residence being sold is not up to code? Perhaps, an inspection was never made?
Steve

Waterloo, IL

#19 Mar 27, 2013
Occupancy Permits wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, how can the City of Columbia sign off on an occupancy permit if the residence being sold is not up to code? Perhaps, an inspection was never made?
I was there when the building inspector came through to do his ten minute lookey look. He never said a thing except that the sellers had their sump pump draining into the floor drain. Big NO NO. That was it, they lied about most everything they advertised I found out after the purchase and Tammy Mitchell Hines, was such a bitch about the whole thing, she never did answer questions we had before or after the purchase. That is why I have written letters, spoken to 3 Alderman, the Mayor, the City engineer and nothing. My fault for going through with the buy, but the City has allowed non inspections of homes being built, and don't know what they are inspecting when they want your money to occupy the home. It is things like this that our Alderman allow to go unanswered because of a good ole boy club. Vote Mary Ellen Niemietz OUT!!!
Legal

Waterloo, IL

#20 Mar 28, 2013
Who did the inspection?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transgender bathroom PROBLEM!!! 4 hr Diana 78
Select sports fundraising 16 hr Janet Reno 8
Where'd you go ROLLO? (Sep '15) Tue Monya rollo 4
Uber or other airport transportation Aug 21 running man 9
real estate Aug 20 rollo 2
columbia kinder college (Nov '08) Aug 20 Monya monya bo bonya 37
royal gate Aug 17 Dodge owner 8

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages