Monroe County Property Assessors conduct
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
seriously

United States

#44 Sep 14, 2012
Uh, no. The county assessors job, specifically, is to judge the value of a home based on the area its in x square footage + outbuildings and concrete. His assessment is to place a reasonable taxable value estimate on the books, not to pinpoint the exact loan value of a house based on condition and furnishings. Nothing anywhere says its anyones job to inspect home interiors, or that owners are responsible for reporting interior updates. 2 houses built in the 70s, both identical outside, pay the same, regardless of interiors, if they're still owned by the original owners, because no regulation calls for interior inspections, at least here.
seriously

United States

#45 Sep 14, 2012
I should clarify that at no time does a homeowner "report their property value" for property tax purposes. That's the assessors job, all a homeowner can do is appeal, and usually lose even when they're right. That's why people cheat, because our illustrious government does, and they have enforcers.
mike

Saint Louis, MO

#46 Sep 14, 2012
regardless of who does or does not report a houses value the fact that some are not paying thier fair share stands.
seriously

United States

#47 Sep 14, 2012
If they aren't its very often not their fault, and felony tresspass and peeping aren't how to correct it. This exposes the county to lawsuits, that's not profitable either, or inviting to prospective property buyers, which in turn hurts property values, for which the county won't adjust rates down. Save where you can withOUT committing crime. The only guilty person in this topic is the assessor.
Wonder

Saint Louis, MO

#48 Sep 15, 2012
What about the fact he lost his house to foreclosure and had to take the test to do the job multiple times because he couldn't pass the first time!
Part Man - Part Machine

Waterloo, IL

#49 Sep 15, 2012
Bend over is about all you can do! We appealed our tax bill (we lost) because many of the houses in our neighborhood are selling for significantly less than what our house is assessed for. We were told that our because our house is a two-story, it can only be compared with other two-story houses in Monroe County. What?? We do plan to sell in the near future. I wonder if I can inflate the asking price of my house based on what the assessor said my house is worth? Missouri is looking better everyday!
I am Horace Greely

Waterloo, IL

#50 Sep 15, 2012
Head West young man. When retired union public workers make more money per year than they ever did working; thru benefit escalation clauses, do not fight it ; move. Government run anything whether nursing, education, or protection the greed creeps in and no competition is available to stem the inefficiency.
R property taxes even constitutional?
aquaman

Columbia, IL

#51 Sep 17, 2012
Easy fix . Tax is based on Square fottage of lot and home only. Not how it is finished. No more assessor's sneaking around and causing problems.
Xxxx

Columbia, IL

#53 Sep 17, 2012
aquaman wrote:
Easy fix . Tax is based on Square fottage of lot and home only. Not how it is finished. No more assessor's sneaking around and causing problems.
Brilliant! Would eliminate having to protest my bill every year. The house right next to me is 800 sq. ft. larger and has the same size lot. Their taxes were $400 less than mine! Ridiculous.
Ass Cessor

Saint Louis, MO

#54 Sep 17, 2012
You WILL pay your unfair share.
lumpy rutherford

Saint Louis, MO

#55 Oct 12, 2012
Why is it logical that the county bills me more for my usage of the county services if I go to Home Depot and buy a few things, pay sales tax on them (with my money that I alreasy paid income tax on), and then install these items in my home or yard? I just want to understand the reasoning. Anyone from the assesors office should be able to make sense of this for me.
I Dont get it

Montgomery, AL

#57 Oct 12, 2012
Xxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant! Would eliminate having to protest my bill every year. The house right next to me is 800 sq. ft. larger and has the same size lot. Their taxes were $400 less than mine! Ridiculous.
Something doesn't make sense if taxed on Sq Ft of house and lot size. House across from me sits on a double lot, and is 500 sq ft larger. He appeals his taxes and wins every year. Pays the least amount in the entire neighborhood. And it is a substantial amount less than us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Hope Massage 49 min Monya 7
David B. Mueller Presents Tom The Cat (Oct '10) 3 hr Trump train 3
this sight is pathetic (Dec '15) 3 hr Monya 5
Who gets to circumvent subdivision rules and why (Mar '11) 3 hr Monya 39
Running man on main street 12 hr Sarah 10
Handicap carts 18 hr Some guy 12
Mike Schneider Mon Curious 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages