Monroe County Property Assessors conduct

Posted in the Columbia Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Columbia, IL

#1 Sep 11, 2012
Any other Columbia Resident have any unprofessional encounters with the County Assessors recently?
ass cessor

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Sep 11, 2012
Bend over an pay your taxes!!
Resident

Waterloo, IL

#3 Sep 11, 2012
aqauman wrote:
Any other Columbia Resident have any unprofessional encounters with the County Assessors recently?
Yes I did, he was out taking pictures of house near my home. When I asked him what he was doing, he would not answer me. Then I walked closer to him and asked him what he was doing and he got real defensive and finally came out and said he was with an insurance company. I then asked him with who and if he had some form of ID or card. He then told me to mind my own business, I said fine I will call the police because you are acting very suspicious, upon which he said some vulgar things and got in his car and left.
aquaman

Columbia, IL

#5 Sep 11, 2012
My daughter -inlaw had a one come to the door of a duplex they rent. The man wanted to enter and she told him NO, that she was not comfortable with this and she attemted to close the door twice and this a-hole pushed the door open twice.
The man never offered any kind of identification, just stated what he was there for.

She called the Columbia P.D. Officer A-hole find the guy down the road and he denied do this. The office told her it was her obligation to let them in her residense.

We contacted the Office of the Assessor in Waterloo and this man supervisor said this guy was not to be knocking on doors and wanting in.

Columbia P.D just belittled the young lady about the situation.
ass cessor

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Sep 11, 2012
I'm coming IN.
Whether you like it or not.
I am stupid

Waterloo, IL

#8 Sep 11, 2012
you own not your property but rent from a coercive govmnt.
seriously

United States

#9 Sep 11, 2012
Its to the point where everyone should carry a copy of the constitution and bill of rights with them everywhere they go. How belleville has done what they do I don't understand, maybe its a concession they sign as renters, I think that's who they target there. You should definately get together and address it before it becomes procedure there in monroe co. Please don't go hatfield and mccoy on them.
lucifier

Brighton, MO

#10 Sep 11, 2012
Whats his name? I would like to know. Let this clown try to pull this at my house. He won't like the results. He will need medical attention for 2a broken hands. Period! This is my home, I don't have to allow anyone in it! Period!
Well

Tulsa, OK

#11 Sep 11, 2012
We all have to pay up so we can feed and pay the rent for all the white trash and blacks who won't work. Sad! I won't patronize any $1 dollar stores or wal marts or McDonald's who cater to these people.
Well Nothing

Millstadt, IL

#12 Sep 11, 2012
Columbia had 9,707 people in the 2010 Census - 9,454 white, 36 "Black" - yeah them not working is really affecting you! There were 190 Latinos - 65 Asian - what the f' does race have to do with a comment about the Assessor? Your unintelligent spewing of racial comments makes me wish you didn't live in this area.
For Real

Columbia, IL

#13 Sep 12, 2012
Sounds like a thug casing houses to me,not someone from the Assessor's office. People will believe anything.
Millstadt69

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Sep 12, 2012
You don't have to let them in without a search warrant!
Uncle Rico

Waterloo, IL

#15 Sep 12, 2012
Ask the county assesor how many times they had to give him the test to do his job? How a person with a good paying county job can get his own house forclosed on!
aquaman

Columbia, IL

#16 Sep 12, 2012
Had a guy tell me last night that the assessors took picturesofhis basement through the windows. They did not knock on his door and tell them they were on his property,just did it!
He found out when he fought his tax bill. They showed him a file that had these photos in it.

I don't understand why in this day and age the county cannot provide these people with some kind of proper indentification?
seriously

United States

#17 Sep 12, 2012
Those photos are evidence of a crime. Somebody may yet have to crack that dude with a board. Pretty sure its legal to bean someone peeping in your window.
mike

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Sep 12, 2012
yup, evidence of a crime. the crime of doing construction in your basement without a permit.
seriously

United States

#19 Sep 12, 2012
mike wrote:
yup, evidence of a crime. the crime of doing construction in your basement without a permit.
that doesn't justify the crime of unlawful search. When he stepped into the property to get that photo he broke the law. If he had been able to see it from the street he would've been kosher. And what would he be doing inside his basement that needs a permit in monroe county?(seriously, I'm not up on them) do you need a permit to, say, put up a dividing wall in an existing room? Finish an unfinished basement yourself? The only thing I can really see would be pouring concrete in a dirt floor basement, not many of those around. He bypassed a step, broke the law, and should be fired, sued, and prosecuted. All to get, what,$75 a year for the county.
taxesalreadytooh igh

Columbia, IL

#20 Sep 12, 2012
aquaman wrote:
Had a guy tell me last night that the assessors took picturesofhis basement through the windows. They did not knock on his door and tell them they were on his property,just did it!
He found out when he fought his tax bill. They showed him a file that had these photos in it.
I don't understand why in this day and age the county cannot provide these people with some kind of proper indentification?
That's why we have shades/blinds on every basement window/door, never to be pulled up. Not that our basement is anything fancy, but to the taxman, it is.
mike

Saint Louis, MO

#21 Sep 12, 2012
you need a permit for new electrical work.
was the inspector wrong? trespassing, etc.
was the homeowner wrong? yup. building without a permit and tax evasion.
seriously

United States

#22 Sep 12, 2012
You need a permit to hire a contractor, or to install a bigger service, but not to run line yourself, or to put up some drywall. They also need more than a nosey neighbors hearsay to justify sneaking around. We'll never, but id like to hear more. I'm not convinced they have the right to know if someone paints and lays some carpet, or even erects interior walls and installs outlets if a homeowner does it himself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topics is a weird place! 7 hr Mikey 39
Security lights 7 hr Sho nuff 10
Red night gown 13 hr The real Mike Wilson 2
Racism? (Feb '14) Thu Resident 91
Tiny's skinny blonde bartender. Thu Jess-the skinny b... 11
Hongry Aug 12 Richard Rollo 31
Here they go Aug 11 Rollo 3

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance