Bob Ross

Granite City, IL

#21 Sep 8, 2010
Nope is a dope...a clown living in his Mother's basement who in between bags of Cheetos logs on to Topix to say things he doesn't have balls to in public.
off topic

Waterloo, IL

#22 Sep 8, 2010
Love the idea of a cajun restaurant, it's something different then bar food. My only concerns are parking and the place seems too small to fit a kitchen, dining area, and restrooms. Will it be take-out only?
Bob Ross

Granite City, IL

#23 Sep 8, 2010
City hall is right across the street...there is parking there. Walk from a block away, heck people walk to Gruchala's and don't complain, and they are old.
nope

Waterloo, IL

#24 Sep 8, 2010
for thinking a sign is tacky? Did I mention all of the beer signs on the ends of main street for columbia daze, etc? I've talked to the city about those as well. I thought the city had ordinances about them? Bob Ross appears to be a name calling big baby! There, how was that childish reply to a childish remark Bob? Better yet, I bet my house is much nicer than yours, and I worked hard to buy it, not my mommy.
nope

Waterloo, IL

#25 Sep 8, 2010
Dave wrote:
So, again "nope"...give me an example of a sign in Columbia you think isn't tacky. Tell me some signs you like and why.
An orange unlit projecting sign with white lettering. I just don't see the offense. If anything, it's a little hard to read, but not tacky...in my opinion.
I dont think its offensive, just tacky. Signs that arent tacky: well, i think Dr Trost has nice signs. They look like an adult made them, and not in their back yard with a board and bucket of paint.
nope

Waterloo, IL

#26 Sep 8, 2010
I guess its easier to tell you the signs I DONT like since they stick out...but then again, maybe thats the point of a sign!
IL girl

Waterloo, IL

#27 Sep 8, 2010
I think that most of you if not all did not see the sign BEFORE it was removed...a man was reported to have been hand painting onto the awning. It had a cross between a fleur de lis (sp) and a cross on each side in white and Who Dat's painted very low and thick and messy in the middle.

Apparently the city did not approve and made them remove it. Good job! I heard the food will be shipped in so this will be interesting to see. A nice change of pace. I love Cajun!
what

Saint Louis, MO

#28 Sep 9, 2010
IL girl wrote:
I think that most of you if not all did not see the sign BEFORE it was removed...a man was reported to have been hand painting onto the awning. It had a cross between a fleur de lis (sp) and a cross on each side in white and Who Dat's painted very low and thick and messy in the middle.
Apparently the city did not approve and made them remove it. Good job! I heard the food will be shipped in so this will be interesting to see. A nice change of pace. I love Cajun!
You heard the food would be "shipped in"? From where?
nope

Waterloo, IL

#29 Sep 9, 2010
whered you think they were getting it? From the river?
Stag-nation

Saint Louis, MO

#30 Sep 9, 2010
I for one am happy that another business is coming to town, and it is a restaurant. I'm not sure of their choice of location as Tea House outgrew that site. Haven't been in the old Ebeharts loction in years, so I don't know the current florr plan or lease costs, but that would have seemed a better location. I'll miss Bon Voyant, but undestand young Mr. T's reasoning.
Bad signs - Dr. Gupa's!!!
Parking on Main Street has always been a problem. There are solutions, but it took me a while to realize the city doesn't want shops and restaurants, but would rather have lawyers, medical, banks, and beauty shops that deal with customers in the single digits rather than in large numbers.
right

Waterloo, IL

#31 Sep 9, 2010
nope wrote:
whered you think they were getting it? From the river?
Them Mississippi river shrimp are pretty darn tasty!
Dave

Saint Louis, MO

#32 Sep 9, 2010
I still don't get it. It's a professionally made sign...so you are saying you don't like the font.

I think the event banners are tacky...and I think there is supposed to be a limit on the length of time they can be up and the number in one spot.

I don't like any of the backlit plastic box signs. I think we can do better than that. I'd like to see more flush mounted ones with building illumination.
topgun

Waterloo, IL

#33 Sep 9, 2010
I think Dave from Millstadt is really the mayor of columbia
Dave

Saint Louis, MO

#34 Sep 9, 2010
Based on what?

Think what you want and say what you want...you'll still be wrong.
nope

Waterloo, IL

#35 Sep 9, 2010
i agree, the back lit plastic signs, and even some of the front lit signs (Vogt building for instance) could and should be better.

And the banners. How many of them have had big advertisments for Budweiser? They wont even let you put one up with your business name on it but they put up Bud anywhere they want?
making me fat

Saint Louis, MO

#36 Sep 9, 2010
Stag-nation wrote:
I for one am happy that another business is coming to town, and it is a restaurant. I'm not sure of their choice of location as Tea House outgrew that site. Haven't been in the old Ebeharts loction in years, so I don't know the current florr plan or lease costs, but that would have seemed a better location. I'll miss Bon Voyant, but undestand young Mr. T's reasoning.
Bad signs - Dr. Gupa's!!!
Parking on Main Street has always been a problem. There are solutions, but it took me a while to realize the city doesn't want shops and restaurants, but would rather have lawyers, medical, banks, and beauty shops that deal with customers in the single digits rather than in large numbers.
eberharts, then columbia haus, was completely remodeled when it became the church of the nazarene in the 90's. it is hardly suitable for a restaurant anymore, and i imagine that amount of space with available parking might be out of their pricerange.

their signage is fine. i think the op's problem was likely with the name of the restaurant being too black for our 'fair' town. just a thought.
whats your sign

Waterloo, IL

#37 Sep 12, 2010
The worst signs in town belong to Dr. Gupda. Looks more like ads for a massge parlor.
When is Who Dat's opening?
IL Gal

Columbia, IL

#38 Sep 14, 2010
NO,BEFORE the nice orange signs were put up, which look fine someone HAND painted Who Dat's on the front of the awning. It was very low, very messy and looked like crap. It has been fixed and looks nice.

I don't get how the shipping in of the food will work and can't think of what town I heard was shipping it in. Somewhere in IL? Whatever, I think it sounds great. Yes, Minimart is ugly and I hope they get to it soon. They have been working on the old Albert's floral a bit. It's looking better in that area. The antique shop looks great and the old Glenn travel is coming along nicely.
when

Waterloo, IL

#39 Sep 17, 2010
did anyone say when its opening
HappyColumbiaRes ident

AOL

#40 Sep 17, 2010
I don't really care what the darn sign looks like. Any sign that says Who Dat is alright with me. It actually reminds me of a sign you would see in the french quarter and that may be the reason. What really matters is that the food tastes good. If you are going to call yourself Who Dats you better have some Darn good gumbo waiting for me when you open. I would hate to get my hopes up for nothing!The sign nazi's need to ease up. I sure wish that was all I had to worry about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ted longust 7 hr uha 3
Rollo 11 hr Phat girl 7
White child 15 hr opuddle79 3
Transgender bathroom PROBLEM!!! Mon yeah right 58
merz vs gruchalas (Apr '14) May 22 Truth 29
To all the Columbia haters May 19 anonymous 76
Clarkson eye care reviews? (Apr '14) May 17 my experience 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages