Worst Places to work in Columbia
could see it

Waterloo, IL

#21 Feb 15, 2011
beth wrote:
<quoted text> My friend used to work at columbia kinder college. She said the owner all she cares about is money and not the employees.
umm when my child when there, it was obvious that the owner only cared about money, and not the children either!
just sayin

United States

#22 Feb 16, 2011
wow wrote:
there was a business that i worked for years ago in Columbia. I cant think of the name of it right now but it had to do with being a laundering service. It was a factory setting. Damn i forget the name of the place! Hated it!
. I think the name was Angelicia.... Or something like that
could see it too

United States

#23 Feb 18, 2011
What is it with the owner of columbia Kinder college. The cost is so high i did not take my kid there and they get the same care as if they went to Columbia kinder college at a lot less. She must be money hungy. Thats why i take my kids to carrot patch. The place is cleaner and the staff is nicer too.
spot

United States

#24 Feb 18, 2011
I would have to say walgreens...the managers are a joke, and they are probably similar anywhere else you would go. You ask them a question about a particular product, and they are clueless. I guess a GED is just not good enough.
grandma

Waterloo, IL

#25 Feb 18, 2011
But, really........don't you think most businesses are in it for the money??? No matter what kind of business? I would doubt that your children were ever in any dangerous situation though. There are stiff inspections, etc. for those type of facilities. And, besides that, most employees of child care places are there because they love children.
Mommy

Waterloo, IL

#26 Feb 18, 2011
I heard that the Lantern makes the wait staff turn over a portion of their tips. I have no personal knowledge of it, but I do believe the girl that worked their and told me to be reputable.

The food is crappy too.
gee whiz

Columbia, IL

#27 Feb 18, 2011
grandma wrote:
But, really........don't you think most businesses are in it for the money??? No matter what kind of business? I would doubt that your children were ever in any dangerous situation though. There are stiff inspections, etc. for those type of facilities. And, besides that, most employees of child care places are there because they love children.
actually, kinder college does not accept goverment aid (chasi), so their guidelines are not so tough. i imagine they get inspected about as often as any home daycare, which is not terribly often. i could be wrong.
What the

Saint Peters, MO

#28 Feb 18, 2011
spot wrote:
I would have to say walgreens...the managers are a joke, and they are probably similar anywhere else you would go. You ask them a question about a particular product, and they are clueless. I guess a GED is just not good enough.
Oh the one in Columbia? Have you seen the guy that runs the photo dept.?
Chello

Waterloo, IL

#29 Feb 18, 2011
grandma wrote:
I beg to differ.. My child went there for a small amount of time, and was injured. No one called me to tell me of the injury (a head injury)(she ran into some folded down tables on a dolly that was sitting in the hall, ended up with a HUGE knot on her forehead.).. When I went to pick her up at 12:15 (the time I had always picked her up because I didn't want her taking a nap there) they also had her laying down for a nap (even though I had always been under the impression nap time was at 12:30)..

A head injury on a 2 year old, and then put down for a nap (you NEVER put a child down for a nap after something like that) and no one called to tell me. When I informed the "teacher" that my daughter would not be coming back, she insisted that I speak to the director. I explained my concerns to her, and she tried to write it off as "no big deal", telling me that they were short staffed that day and "two year olds are hard to watch all the time". Isn't that what a day care does?? Watch the children at all times? She didn't care about how upset I was, or the fact that my child got hurt while no one was able to watch her.

So, In my opinion, an owner who portrays herself as so uncaring, most likely is.. and while most situations aren't always dangerous, it's easy for a situation to become dangerous through neglect.. People who put their whole self into a business for aspects other than money tend to maintain a more successful business, with fewer flaws.

(by the way, paying more for the "cameras" is a huge rip off. They act like you'll be able to check in on your child whenever you would want via the internet.. but you can see very little. just fyi)
Asking

United States

#30 Feb 19, 2011
gee whiz wrote:
any daycare center, but namely the lighthouse. no respect for employees. promised raises that never happen. policy that dictates you must lie to parents in some circumstances. they would rather jeopardize child safety than allow you to deserve overtime, not that they give it when you do go overtime (they just cut your hours for next week and tack them on there, which is completely illegal).
Please explain what your talking about that dictates you to lie to parents. I have a child there and would like to know.
Chello

Waterloo, IL

#31 Feb 19, 2011
Asking wrote:
<quoted text>Please explain what your talking about that dictates you to lie to parents. I have a child there and would like to know.
me too, i just recently looked into lighthouse.. and have heard good things from other parents and an employee.
grandma

Waterloo, IL

#32 Feb 19, 2011
Okay, Chello, you have a valid complaint and I don't blame you at all for looking elsewhere.
lol

Chicago, IL

#33 Feb 19, 2011
the ymca
it is a horrible place to work.
no raises, and demanding crabby people.
the manager jeff is just not respectable to
the workers. he is not willing to actually do work
himself and he wont follow through with any
thing he promises to do.
such a let down.....
in defense of CKC

United States

#34 Feb 19, 2011
Two of my children have attended CKC. It is far from perfect, but overall I have been very satisfied. The facility itself is clean, well-maintained and offers a very nice outdoor playground. It also provides a home-cooked lunch and decent early childhood education. I have only received a call one time when my my youngest child was injured, but everytime there was a minor injury we received an incident report. You also get an incident report if your child strikes another. The bottom line on the quality of daycare and pre-school IMHO depends on the quality of the specific employees in charge and there are at least 6 full-time real teachers that have been at CKC for 5+ years. Some are better than others, but I have been satisfied with all the teachers. I can only assume they like their working conditions. Obviously, the business is doing well while pushing the upper limit on what people will pay. This is evident from the fairly recent expansion. I agree the camera thing is silly. Have not tried to use it for some time.
JoAnne

Saint Louis, MO

#35 Feb 27, 2011
I'll tell ya, that tavern Gruchala's gotta be the worse. I use to work there years ago. It's a great place to work when the so called management isn't around. We all ways seem to have a decent time at work. Positive atmosphere until one of them would pop in. They have no clue about running a restaurant. They leave it to their employees to do all the main work for them. The most selfish "management" I have ever seen. Bipolar as well! Everyone one is ignorant in their own way. All of them put together creates one bad place to work.
just wondering

Millstadt, IL

#36 Feb 27, 2011
wow wrote:
there was a business that i worked for years ago in Columbia. I cant think of the name of it right now but it had to do with being a laundering service. It was a factory setting. Damn i forget the name of the place! Hated it!
The name is Crown Linen years ago it had a different name,,dont remember it tho.I worked there for a week a little over a yr ago and it was hell..i walked out.
just wondering

Millstadt, IL

#37 Feb 27, 2011
gee whiz wrote:
wow - sounds like angelica. that place was a hole.
yeah thats the name,,,now its called Crown Linen and its bad,,i walked out after a week there.alot of illegals work there.no one speaks english.
Pizza man

Columbia, IL

#38 Feb 27, 2011
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>yeah thats the name,,,now its called Crown Linen and its bad,,i walked out after a week there.alot of illegals work there.no one speaks english.
I once delivered like ten pizzas there. They gave me exact change to the penny. Not one of them spoke English.
Toby

Saint Peters, MO

#39 Feb 27, 2011
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>The name is Crown Linen years ago it had a different name,,dont remember it tho.I worked there for a week a little over a yr ago and it was hell..i walked out.
I may have liked it eventually but i couldnt understand their language & someone stole money(just 5 dollars)out of my coat pocket on the first day! Bad first impression for sure!
Pops girl

Saint Peters, MO

#40 Feb 27, 2011
Im the one that worked at Angelica not Toby. My bad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lil short shorts 8 hr Rollo 12
News Dupo police sued for repeatedly arresting man w... (May '12) 8 hr Anonymous1 37
Jami Schmidt (Mar '13) 9 hr Ratchet1 53
Junior Comanches youth football team and Racis... 10 hr Rollo 6
Friday Night Open Challenge on Godin 12 hr 750 Jerome Lane 2
Saturday Open Weight Challenge on Godin 12 hr 750 Jerome Lane 2
Sunday Ticket on Godin 12 hr pig vomit 2

Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages