columbia football
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
luftkoph

Millstadt, IL

#1 Sep 1, 2012
what a terrible beginning for the new field...aren't the players being taught the fundamentals of football...like how the football should be held? although the offense floundered all night, the defense played well enough...especially when you consider the defense was forced to play almost the entire game due to the endless turnovers...if this is any indication, the eagles are in for a vfery long season...
What

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2012
What in the world is a Luftkoph?
Jake

Waterloo, IL

#3 Sep 1, 2012
It all comes down to coaching, and coach Horner is about as far from a coach as there is. He gives up on his team, doesn't motivate them, and runs the same play over and over. Who hired his guy? Better yet why is he still the coach. Over the past few years I have watched him on the side lines and he has no control of his kids because he doesn't care
Honk Honk

Prairie Village, KS

#4 Sep 1, 2012
Under the bus after one lost game. Gotta love Columbia ! I agree that Scott is a waste of space has a person and coach. Keep supporting them because he will beat them down
Tongue puncher

Millstadt, IL

#5 Sep 1, 2012
Ill give em a break with the turnovers, they played in a monsoon. Both CHS and WHS had a bunch of turnovers only diff is WHS capitalized on on them.
Old Man

Waterloo, IL

#6 Sep 1, 2012
Jake wrote:
It all comes down to coaching, and coach Horner is about as far from a coach as there is. He gives up on his team, doesn't motivate them, and runs the same play over and over. Who hired his guy? Better yet why is he still the coach. Over the past few years I have watched him on the side lines and he has no control of his kids because he doesn't care
Thats why most kids quit after a year or so. Freshman and JV are for developing players. Not playing the same player every play of freshman and then JV games. There are many decent player on the bench who WOULD GET BETTER if they played.
Old Man

Waterloo, IL

#7 Sep 1, 2012
Honk Honk wrote:
Under the bus after one lost game. Gotta love Columbia ! I agree that Scott is a waste of space has a person and coach. Keep supporting them because he will beat them down
He is still coaching because his WIFE is the asst. Supertindent
Turnovers Hurt

Waterloo, IL

#8 Sep 2, 2012
I don't think Waterloo had any turnovers. I recall one fumble that was recovered. Meanwhile the Bulldogs forced multiple turnovers. And I wouldn't blame the weather for the Eagles' troubles... they had numerous turnovers last week too!
luftkoph

Maryland Heights, MO

#9 Sep 2, 2012
Turnovers Hurt wrote:
I don't think Waterloo had any turnovers. I recall one fumble that was recovered. Meanwhile the Bulldogs forced multiple turnovers. And I wouldn't blame the weather for the Eagles' troubles... they had numerous turnovers last week too!
i couldn't agree more "turnovers."i was at the game friday night and i witnessed 7 eagle turnovers...i don't remember any from the bulldogs...last week against wood river, the eagles had four turnovers...and last year, in the herrin game, columbia had four turnovers...the last turnover cost the eagles a playoff victory...for whatever reason, turnovers have become a major part of the eagles' game...
Tongue puncher

Millstadt, IL

#10 Sep 2, 2012
Turnovers Hurt wrote:
What about the negative ten yard punt, and the 5 yard punt. While technically not turnovers they might as well have been and CHS failed to capitalize on both plays with excellent field position.
Citizen

Millstadt, IL

#11 Sep 3, 2012
Tongue puncher wrote:
<quoted text>What about the negative ten yard punt, and the 5 yard punt. While technically not turnovers they might as well have been and CHS failed to capitalize on both plays with excellent field position.
Yup, offense needs to step it up.
funny

Waterloo, IL

#12 Sep 3, 2012
These are 15,16, and 17 yr old kids playing a game. Yet they are more adult than most of the posters here. You sports nuts need to get a life and not micro analyse every aspect of the game. Enjoy the kids efforts and support them and the coaches win or lose. That's called sportsmanship as opposed to sore losers. Shake it off guys. Keep it fun. Go Eagles. I'll support you.
no doubt

Florissant, MO

#13 Sep 4, 2012
Old Man wrote:
<quoted text>
He is still coaching because his WIFE is the asst. Supertindent
which is a joke in itself...
Mr Pigskin

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Sep 4, 2012
funny wrote:
These are 15,16, and 17 yr old kids playing a game. Yet they are more adult than most of the posters here. You sports nuts need to get a life and not micro analyse every aspect of the game. Enjoy the kids efforts and support them and the coaches win or lose. That's called sportsmanship as opposed to sore losers. Shake it off guys. Keep it fun. Go Eagles. I'll support you.
I agree that sportsmanship is very important and the Eagles will shake it off and persevere. But you need to remember that winning is of the utmost importance. That's why people compete.... to win!! These "sports nuts" have a deep understanding of what went wrong and their experience should not be ignored or dismissed. You can learn lots of things from losing, but the most important thing to learn is how to win.
Support your team

Waterloo, IL

#17 Sep 4, 2012
Fat man..... jealously is an ugly trait!! First off, your QB was in for two series and went 0 for 6 before they put Logan back in... Second, Logan is a great kid and hard worker. Your immature post will not phase him. He is confident and leaves everything on the field. What happened to "win as a team, lose as a team"?? Not Horner's fault, not Logan's, or even little Johnny's that didn't get to play. IT'S THE TEAM!! Just remember all of you people that are off the wagon after one bad game... STAY OFF when the boys are playing in post season!
Jake

Montgomery, AL

#18 Sep 5, 2012
Support your team wrote:
Fat man..... jealously is an ugly trait!! First off, your QB was in for two series and went 0 for 6 before they put Logan back in... Second, Logan is a great kid and hard worker. Your immature post will not phase him. He is confident and leaves everything on the field. What happened to "win as a team, lose as a team"?? Not Horner's fault, not Logan's, or even little Johnny's that didn't get to play. IT'S THE TEAM!! Just remember all of you people that are off the wagon after one bad game... STAY OFF when the boys are playing in post season!
yep your right, he did go 0 for 6, but Horner ran the same play over and over. Don't you think that the other team will pick up on it and defend the play? Horner needs to get his act together and mix up the plays and not play favorites with his players.
Supporter

Columbia, MO

#19 Sep 5, 2012
I played for coach for four years. All of you who say hes a terrible coach, you're wrong. He took the team over in 2001 and the team had almost his rock bottom the year before. He took a program from 1-8 to 6-3. Hes had 2 losing seasons. Hes taken all the other teams to the playoffs. I was at the game friday and yes it was a rough game. But Columbia has built the reputation to play flawless and when they dont, the entire town flips out. People always say its just high school sports, there shouldnt be any pressure. However, there is pressure because ppl are on here talking about one loss. The turnovers the other night killed them. If you take away the turnovers, Columbia wins hands down. The better team did not win that game, the better team THAT NIGHT won. Waterloo executed and Columbia did not. Fot whoever was talking bad about Logan, you're wrong. He had a bad night. Last years QB had a bad night against Waterloo throwing an inteception that caused Columbia to lose the game. It happens. Whether you are in HS or the pros, you are going to have a bad night. The season is still early, they have time to get back on track. The only other tough game they will face in Central. The boys will make the playoffs and make a run. 4A football is bigger and better but they should hold their own the first two rounds maybe three rounds.

As to the coaching staff, whoever is talking bad about horner and Buatte, I'd like to see you coach a team. You dont need 3000 plays in your playbook. Coach Jerry Germain had 20 MAX and look how great he did. Execution is key. Horner has run the same plays since '07 and we have done okay since then. State Champ apperance, 12-1 record and teams since then that compete.

Buatte is a great coach as well. He isnt doing it for the pay at all. coaches dont get paid crap for all the work they put in. I mean from practice, scouting, games, gameplans, and film work, they put in more hours than you can imagine. And that is even at the younger levels as well.

Football is a different game for all you people who think everyone should play. If you arent good, you dont need to play. You dont need someone out there just to get playing time. If they dont know what they are doing, they can get hurt or even doing something to screw up the team causes multiple injuries. You dont want some LT in the game and then the QB gets blindsided just cause mom and dad want Johnny in the game. High school teams play for a Championship, not to make mom happy. Thats what MS and Khoury league is for. Coach Horner wants his players to be ready for the Varsity level, so he expects the best players to be ready to go when they get called up.
Eagle KoolAid

Waterloo, IL

#20 Sep 5, 2012
Supporter, you can quit drinking the kool aid. The Eagles really didn't beat Wood River that bad considering you're a "superior team" and Wood River just got its first win in 4 years Monday. And oh, BTW those Eagles had how many turnovers in that game?

Waterloo is the superior team year in and year out. But the media and Columbia continues to drink the kool aid. It's too bad Waterloo has beaten Columbia most years. I can only think of two years when the Eagles have beaten Waterloo.. 2008 and 2004. 2005, 2006, 2009-2012 have all belonged to the Bulldogs.

The better team won Friday night.
Supporter

Columbia, MO

#21 Sep 5, 2012
Yeah they had trouble holding on to the ball the last two games. Thats obvious and even though i support them i wont deny that. Wateloo had some trouble holding on to the ball as well. the only difference the other night was execution. Columbia in the long run, final record and postseason, will do better i believe. but you will obviously think differently. So i guess you guys really beat Freeburg that bad? cuz they have not had a good year for two years so i wouldnt look into your game too far. The better team did not win friday night, the team that executed more on friday won. i cant take that away from you guys
I am stupid

Waterloo, IL

#22 Sep 5, 2012
BUT TELL ME '' why try to learn 20 different plays and execute none proficiently when 5 will do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beelleville News Democrat 3 hr Zander 8
Prestiage Painting 6 hr Jaime 1
Rollo 10 hr no no 9
Ted longust May 24 uha 3
White child May 24 opuddle79 3
Transgender bathroom PROBLEM!!! May 23 yeah right 58
merz vs gruchalas (Apr '14) May 22 Truth 29
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia Mortgages