WANE-TV Coverage You Can Count On: A NewsChannel 15 Special Report

Feb 11, 2008 Read more: WANE Fort Wayne 10
Updated: Some kids grow up fast. By the time they get to high school, a few are forced to take on adult responsibilities. Read more
Emma

AOL

#1 Feb 11, 2008
Job Corps is a Federally funded no cost education and job training program that would be great for both of these young women. Job Corps recruits youth ages 16-24 who are economically challenged and looking for a better opportunity in life. Students can earn their high school diploma, GED, and be trained or certified in trade areas such as Culinary Arts, Carpentry, Electrical, Business Technology, Certified Nurses Assistant, Licensed Practical Nursing, Pharmacy Technician, Child Care, Computer Operations, and more, all at no cost! There are over 100 trade areas to choose from. Plus, youth get paid to train, free health benefits, room and board, hands-on experience with real employers, and help finding a job or pursuing higher education. There is a Job Corps office here in Fort Wayne or call 1.800.733.JOBS for more information.
a concerned mom

AOL

#2 Feb 11, 2008
At an age where teenagers are wanting to assert their independence, you run a story that was irresponsible. You glorified their choice not to remain at home. I grant you that I do not know their situation but neither did you go into detail. Teenagers look at movies and such "news reporting" and see the wonder of such freedom. The reality is that most young people in this situation will end up quitting school but of course this was not address. Why is that? Why not address the problems that led to these young woman not residing with their families?
Dan

AOL

#3 Feb 11, 2008
I have to say that was a very irresponsible news story to run. Teens today need to learn about rules of the house and responsibility at home, from their parents. A Senior in high school living with her boyfriend is nothing to glorify. Most teens that are on their own had trouble following the rules set by their parents so they move out. Some even have children of their own. The sad thing is most of these teens cannot make it on their own and end up working for minimum wage for the rest of their life. Shame on you News 15.
Judy Gerardot

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Feb 12, 2008
Amanda and Stephanie demonstrate courage and strength of character as they pursue their education and life goals. As a teacher at Anthis in the Careers in Early Education program I know both students well. They work competently with children.
Gail

United States

#5 Feb 12, 2008
I disagree that this was an irresponsible story. While the story does not state the reasons for these girls leaving home, which may have been very legitimate, it does state that being on their own is no picnic. They are struggling to make ends meet and to still get their education. It also states that there is little time for fun or friends. That is an important part of the story, and an important fact for young people who do leave home before finishing school. The story even states that one of the young ladies would have possibly reconsidered leaving home if she had realized what she would have to deal with on her own. I think this story gives the point that going out on your own is NOT an easy thing to do. It is not all fun and games to be on your own.
Michael

Fort Wayne, IN

#6 Feb 12, 2008
I truly feel like the news disregards what happens on the southside of town. My best friend and brother were murdered together last year and I've yet to see you post a follow up story.
But you can make top headlines of a wedding or some other riculous meaningless topic.Then I still don't see the relevance of why you mention there criminal history,that usually has nothing to do with why they were killed.I lost 4 people last year that were murdered.So I just feel like the newspeople careless about the violence and it's effect on the southside of fortwayne.
A critic

Carol Stream, IL

#7 Feb 12, 2008
Reading this story left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't due to the content of the story but due to the way the article was written. Has anyone heard of proof reading???? Forgotten words, typos, missing apostrophes.....please!!! This was such a poorly written article!! The written word can be such a powerful tool but only when it is used correctly. I don't claim to be perfect or to write perfectly, but again, reporting/writing isn't my chosen field either. So please, before putting articles out for others to read, proof read them! Maybe we will have more respect for the story when we have more respect for the reporter/writer.
Been There

United States

#8 Feb 12, 2008
Being a teenager at any day and age is tough without the proper influence. Without a good roll model, they go at it alone. These 2 girls are doing it, the tough way, but they have their priorities in line when it comes to a future. 1- getting an education. 2- work hard. Good luck, stay strong!
A Proud Mom

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Feb 13, 2008
My daughter had a baby when she was 16 years old. She is now 18 years old. She is a wonderful mother - all you have to do is be around her 2 year old daughter and see that her mother is teaching her well. My daughter moved out of my house with her daughter. She stayed in school and just recently last month finished high school through a wonderful alternative school. She works at a job, takes care of her daughter, takes care of her house and pays bills. Is this the way that I wanted my daughter's life to be - ABSOLUTELY NOT - but she makes me believe that people can overcome their obstacles if they want it bad enough. She will be attending college to become an RN. It may take her longer since she has a child and works also - but I have no doubt she can do it!
Dave

United States

#10 Feb 13, 2008
It is hard enough to be a teenager with two supportive parents. These and many other teens have made the tough decision to move out and start their adult lives. They did it because a number of reasons which vary from case to case but they made the decision for what was best for them. If the parents are not supportive or in some cases "NOT THERE" for the kids when they are needed it makes the kids grow up to fast. When you are out and you see a teen working somewhere remember they may be supporting themselves and sometimes also trying to support their family no matter how young they are. Be nice to them, they are not just earning spending money like some others.
Can you imagine living on your own at such an early age?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stolen van from Ohio Apr 14 stolenvan 2
News Indiana faces long road to restore image after ... Apr 6 Rev Don Wildmoan 24
News Do local laws really protect rights of LGBT Hoo... Apr 6 Zaqayn Yonah 1
News Mother, son sue FWCS over alleged bullying Apr 4 civilliberty 2
Stand Mike Pence (STAND) Mar 30 Mike Pence 1
Dr. Johnson (Oct '13) Mar 29 Iwanttoknow 2
Snapchat me Nov '14 seraphimclown 1
More from around the web

Columbia City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]