Plan doubles lawmaker pay, ensures ra...

Plan doubles lawmaker pay, ensures raises

There are 81 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 21, 2007, titled Plan doubles lawmaker pay, ensures raises. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Legislators hope to see two benefits from a bill that cleared an Indiana Senate committee Tuesday: a near-doubling of their base pay and freedom from ever having to vote on the politically sensitive issue ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Since: Feb 07

Farmersburg

#61 Feb 21, 2007
Mike B wrote:
I don't why anone would want to serve a bunch of self absorbed whiners/like you.
Serve?
Rena Martin

Glendale, CA

#62 Feb 21, 2007
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what does Ohio, Kentucky,Michigan, etc. have to do with the citizens of Indiana? Who cares what other states do? We want representation for Indiana!
Abe Lincoln is rolling over in his grave!
They care because they have to have SOME measure to set incomes by or how would you know what to pay someone? I'm saying that they should only compare our lawmakers pay with other states that only have part-time legislatures, not with states that are full time.
Jim

Huffman, TX

#63 Feb 21, 2007
After this there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that we have foxes guarding the hen house.

What bums!!! Crooks all crooks!!
TURBO

Indianapolis, IN

#64 Feb 21, 2007
NO NO NO NO Give the workers that work for the city or state a raise, they too have not seen a pay raise in years. This raise is a way to offset the take away of their insurance.If they do not like the pay do not do the work.
Rational

Indianapolis, IN

#65 Feb 21, 2007
dclark wrote:
What a bunch of money grubing back stabing in it only for themselves toads.
Would you rather make it so only rich people could be lawmakers?

Of course, you didn't want to put any thought in it. If you think money is the root of all evil, have you asked what is the root of all money?
carl Hoffman

Chicago Heights, IL

#66 Feb 21, 2007
The people in the state house ran and won, surely they knew the wages paid! Now they feel they deserve more well show us why? Can live on the money change jobs, most have been in office to long anyway to relate to the average person. You were electe to serve not get rich.
To say we need good quaiflied people means you feel common man is not suppose to run against a full time do nothing office holder. Put the matter to a vote, not in the middle of a bill that makes sure you never need to have vote agian.
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

#67 Feb 21, 2007
Rena Martin wrote:
<quoted text>
They care because they have to have SOME measure to set incomes by or how would you know what to pay someone? I'm saying that they should only compare our lawmakers pay with other states that only have part-time legislatures, not with states that are full time.
A fair concept.In the end the taxpayers should decide based on their personal values.
Lawrence Resident

United States

#68 Feb 21, 2007
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>These are not employees. This is not a job.
Representing your neighbors is supposed to be an HONOR. We the voters are responsible. Keep pulling your "party" ticket and keep getting "party" politicians. We need INDEPENDANTS !
HONOR will only take you so far when you leave your family behind and take leaves of absences from your job. At $11,600 your "Independents" McDonald's employees who won't be able to tell the difference between baby formula and the school funding formula.

One thing about a Democracy, the people get what they deserve. Sometimes people don't deserve very much.
Indy Resident

United States

#69 Feb 21, 2007
After reading many of the comments in this thread, it's clear why Indiana stands at 49th or 50th in just about every measure of progress.

Maybe if we kept pace with legislative pay, we'd actually see policies which would allow the state to advance.
Reality Check

Kokomo, IN

#70 Feb 21, 2007
Indy Resident wrote:
After reading many of the comments in this thread, it's clear why Indiana stands at 49th or 50th in just about every measure of progress.
Maybe if we kept pace with legislative pay, we'd actually see policies which would allow the state to advance.
Give me a break. Why is it when they're running for office they're "concerned for the welfare and safety of the citizens of this state" but once they get into office they start griping and moaning about the pay? Did you know that our early representatives recieved NO pay because it was felt to be a conflict with the idea of SERVICE TO THE REPUBLIC?
Muncie Democrat

Indianapolis, IN

#71 Feb 21, 2007
Time AGAIN for term limits!
What a bunch of MORONS we have-that includes Pat Bauer.

Make it a "full time" position not some half-assed job for a bunch of Ivy Tech employees!

What pay these people stipends when they aren't working?

This SUCKS!
Muncie Democrat

Indianapolis, IN

#72 Feb 21, 2007
Tom Hemsley wrote:
I should say they need a pay raise! That Bauer Dude needs a new rug.
Got that right, Tom. Have you EVER seen someone with a dead animal on their head?

Farmersburg

#73 Feb 21, 2007
carl Hoffman wrote:
The people in the state house ran and won, surely they knew the wages paid! Now they feel they deserve more well show us why? Can live on the money change jobs, most have been in office to long anyway to relate to the average person. You were electe to serve not get rich.
To say we need good quaiflied people means you feel common man is not suppose to run against a full time do nothing office holder. Put the matter to a vote, not in the middle of a bill that makes sure you never need to have vote agian.
Congress got away with it why wouldn't the locals try it. We should replace them all with minium wage workers.

Farmersburg

#74 Feb 21, 2007
Indy Resident wrote:
We have seen how the more money cure works. Congress fixed it so they got automatic increases in their pay.

It damn sure worked there didn't it?
No one should be allowed to feed at the public trough for life. The more you pay them the longer they will refuse to go to a nursing home.
Rob

Indianapolis, IN

#75 Feb 21, 2007
Lawrence Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
HONOR will only take you so far when you leave your family behind and take leaves of absences from your job. At $11,600 your "Independents" McDonald's employees who won't be able to tell the difference between baby formula and the school funding formula.
One thing about a Democracy, the people get what they deserve. Sometimes people don't deserve very much.
11,600 plus expenses paid.Would a McDonalds worker do a better job? Probably, if not he/she would at least have the honor to go home and let someone else.I am 40+ years old and have never spoken to MY REPRESENTATIVE without spending money. There is no doubt in my mind that most all McDonalds workers would at least talk to me without their hand out. This seems outrageous that some people would believe it takes some super human to be honest and represent his neighbor views. It does, however, take a person with a lot of money to get "Party Support".
Double D

Indianapolis, IN

#76 Feb 22, 2007
Pay them more wrote:
In an effort to make news where none exists, the Indianapolis Star printed the following:
"In addition to the base pay, lawmakers also receive $137 a day when they are in session, including weekends, and $54.80 for most other days of the year. That pay is tied to a federal reimbursement rate for travel that rises nearly every year."
The Star hopes that the average Hoosier is enraged that legislators make so much in addition to the $11,600 salary. To emphasis this, the Star always says something like "the average legislator is paid $40,000 per year."
Why doesn't the Star also print the daily price of the hotel rooms that most legislators have to utilize while in session? Why doesn't the Star make note that most legislators are in Indianapolis weekly to transact legislative business when the legislator isn't in session?
I don't want my lawmakers to get rich serving the public, but I do want their salaries to be enough to encourage qualified candidates to run for office. As it stands right now, who in their right mind would leave their jobs and families for four months for $11,600 per year? If you want better government, you need to pay your public officials a meaningful wage.
Hey! They are doing nothing to help the poor o fthis state, they are raising taxes to the point that the middle class is quickley becoming less then middle calss, they have proven they can't be trusted and you want to pay them more. You must be a carmel house wife with nothing better to do. They don't deserve the money ther getting now. I say earn your keep and then lets talk about pay raises. I work with people wh0o have not had a raise in over five years they are forced to tighten their belts and so shoudl our state legislators. I don't want to pay them another dime until I see improvement in how this backwards state is funded.....Anotone for tea?
Earl

Indianapolis, IN

#77 Feb 22, 2007
Indy Resident wrote:
Move back to whatever state you came from. We, true hoosier, have been backwards for 130 years. We like it that way and evidently so did you.
Strom Thurmond

Indianapolis, IN

#78 Feb 22, 2007
Old Yeller wrote:
<quoted text>
We have seen how the more money cure works. Congress fixed it so they got automatic increases in their pay.
It damn sure worked there didn't it?
No one should be allowed to feed at the public trough for life. The more you pay them the longer they will refuse to go to a nursing home.
I resemble that remark
Rena Martin

Glendale, CA

#79 Feb 22, 2007
Earl wrote:
<quoted text>Move back to whatever state you came from. We, true hoosier, have been backwards for 130 years. We like it that way and evidently so did you.
How does wanting PART-TIME lawmakers to be paid CORRECTLY mean that you are backward? If they want to change it to a full-time position, like many of the states around us, THEN they could talk about a raise. But 50K for a part time job is more than MANY people make for full time work.
Nancy Beach

AOL

#80 Feb 26, 2007
$40,+/year seems quite adequate for a part-time legislature.

The taxpayer should vote on it and it should be based upon performance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Julie L Binford, Padelford, Watters RN Jul 22 from hear me 1
Review: Cataract & Laser Institute - Ronald K N... (May '08) Jul 21 Blinded by the sight 6
Will Trump pick Pence as VP? Jul 20 Wayne Fort 2
basketball (Feb '07) Jul 13 Chu Chu Rubusco 2
News Trump: 'We can't continue to allow China to rap... Jul 13 Divorce Lawyer 49
New High School $85million project vote (Nov '15) Jul 12 Chu Chu Rubusco 6
News Rx refusal bill stalls in Senate (Jan '08) Jul 12 ecluytyu 275

Columbia City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbia City Mortgages