Plan doubles lawmaker pay, ensures raises

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Legislators hope to see two benefits from a bill that cleared an Indiana Senate committee Tuesday: a near-doubling of their base pay and freedom from ever having to vote on the politically sensitive issue ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2007
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
dclark

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2007
What a bunch of money grubing back stabing in it only for themselves toads.
tamara jenkins

United States

#2 Feb 21, 2007
As a State Employee I am not amused, I haven't had a increase in over a year and a half at the same time my insurance went from $49.00 per pay to over $150.00 per pay.
EyeonMitch

Lexington, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2007
I know several folks who may run for office now that their jobs have gone overseas.
Fed-up

Marysville, OH

#4 Feb 21, 2007
Thank You;You can do something after all.I was beginning to think you were to sorry to help yourself.I feel better now that I know my tax money is being spent.
carl Hoffman

Fort Wayne, IN

#5 Feb 21, 2007
What Idiot would serve for that amount. Look we have several in office. They knew when elected what it paid and they ran for office. Now having said that ask any other state employee what they get for travel or per deim? I am not against the raise per se, provided they bring things into line with other state employee's. Citizens are not Idiots and we know and expect our elected officials to do better and then we will pay them better that is how the workforce is suppose to be. Do your job and then you will not be afraid to ask for a raise, allow the citizens to be the ones who set it however. If your worth more then go to the private sector and prove it.
Take away all perks, sweetheart deals and conform to all the rules that apply to citizens and then call yourselves public servants.
nice

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Feb 21, 2007
why not make them earn their raises like other employess have to do? Make it based on the good they do the taxpayers of Indiana...oh wait..then they would owe us money.
mykidzmom

Michigantown, IN

#7 Feb 21, 2007
MAKE THEM TAKE CARE OF IMPORTANT MATTERS FIRST. IF THE HAVE A GOOD HEALTH PLAN UP AND RUNNING FOR THE UNINSURED THEN THEY CAN HAVE THEIR RAISE.
injury

San Francisco, CA

#8 Feb 21, 2007
since 1985 no raise hard to swallow
injury

San Francisco, CA

#9 Feb 21, 2007
Democracy:
A goverment of the masses; authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of 'direct' expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic - negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate,... without restraint or regard to consequences; results in demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
Jeff

United States

#10 Feb 21, 2007
nice wrote:
why not make them earn their raises like other employess have to do? Make it based on the good they do the taxpayers of Indiana...oh wait..then they would owe us money.
Absolutely!!!
Freddy

United States

#11 Feb 21, 2007
And state legislators haven't had a pay raise in 21 years.
tamara jenkins wrote:
As a State Employee I am not amused, I haven't had a increase in over a year and a half at the same time my insurance went from $49.00 per pay to over $150.00 per pay.
terycarl

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Feb 21, 2007
mykidzmom wrote:
MAKE THEM TAKE CARE OF IMPORTANT MATTERS FIRST. IF THE HAVE A GOOD HEALTH PLAN UP AND RUNNING FOR THE UNINSURED THEN THEY CAN HAVE THEIR RAISE.
why should taxpayers pay for insurance for anyone other than state employees???
Freddy

United States

#13 Feb 21, 2007
How would you like it if your employer paid mileage and other employee expenses were included as part of your compensation when your employer discussed whether you deserved a raise? You would, rightly, be outraged.
Only in the bizarro world occupied by the Indianapolis Star does employee expense money be counted as compensation.
mirrors

AOL

#14 Feb 21, 2007
hey freddy, do the math on the per diem,the free money and meals from lobbyists,the nice deals on discounted tickets,and all of the other perks that we dont know about ...and see if the job would interest you...as it stands now.
Freddy wrote:
And state legislators haven't had a pay raise in 21 years.
<quoted text>
terycarl

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Feb 21, 2007
Freddy wrote:
How would you like it if your employer paid mileage and other employee expenses were included as part of your compensation when your employer discussed whether you deserved a raise? You would, rightly, be outraged.
Only in the bizarro world occupied by the Indianapolis Star does employee expense money be counted as compensation.
per diem is not expenses....and they collect a per diem even on days they are not working....yes it should be counted as pay....is it taxable??
Kramer

Lafayette, IN

#16 Feb 21, 2007
Tell that student that most are there for their ego and to make connections. They are also wealthy to begin with, how can a normal person have the money and time to run for office. You have to be a business owner or lawyer to run.
Time4Change

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Feb 21, 2007
No government legislators (Federal or State) should be able to vote themselves raises. All raises should require a referendum vote by the public. I don't get the opportunity to give myself a raise.
Skeptical

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Feb 21, 2007
So where does one go to see the text of this bill? The bill available at www.in.gov is the "original" version. Which, conveniently, says nothing about the big pay increase; and does not mention or give any details about reining in the medical and pension benefits. Sure would be nice to see what might be "accidentally" getting through.
Voice of Reason

Cicero, IN

#19 Feb 21, 2007
Lets not forget, although important, this is a part-time job. Since most of them are attorneys and doctors, who needs the money more, the state employees who work countless hours for pay so meager they can barely afford to live or a legislature who already make twice as much as that state employee (at his full-time job).
Dan Gaither

Covington, KY

#20 Feb 21, 2007
I agrre that all legislatve pay increases should occur by referendum. My concern here is not that the merely voted in a pay raise, as even the federal legislature does, but the volume of this raise (81%)is excessive.
According to news reports this same legislature cannot even present a balanced budget. My questions would be: "How does Indiana's legislative compensation stacks up to our neighboring states? and Where are these funds going to come from?"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
breed Aug 25 rzakiasmith86 1
Tippecanoe toddler dies after being hit by truc... (Apr '08) Aug 24 No one 5
Blonde Bartender from PJ's? Aug 18 wordis 1
Looking to buy bulk vegetables Aug 17 Bagofnuts 3
Hi Aug 15 Her 3
Nude Snapchat Aug 14 Cmedlock96 1
Pollution in Bluebell River (Sep '08) Jul '14 outdoorkid 2
•••
•••
•••