Woman accused of trying to sell son

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A northern Indiana woman who authorities said tried to sell her 2-year-old son to his grandparents for $1,000 remained jailed Thursday on a child selling charge.
Comments
121 - 140 of 145 Comments Last updated Aug 15, 2007
Concerned Parent

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

I've tried to sell my kids, but they keep getting returned.
Just curious

Hephzibah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Cpetr13 wrote:
What's so important about your family name? And why can't your daughters keep their own names if they marry? It's ridiculous for a woman to give up her identity when she marries; the groom doesn't have to.
<quoted text>
And then you can always be sure it's your bloodline if your daughter gives birth. There could be more of a question of parentage regarding fatherhood. If it's your daughter, you can be pretty sure....
Indianapolis Mom

Brownsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

No one knows the whole story so lets not judge. I am so glade that she didn't leave her little one in a Dumpster.
Who knows what $1,000 for.
Snip Cahue

Kokomo, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Kelly Blue Book is at least $6500.

Since: Aug 07

Brownsburg

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

What really concerns me is the grandparents involvement. If their son and wife needed money why not help them, but don't setup a sting operation on their son. I hope that whomever reported this story can provide follow-up on this to see exactly what the grandparents role in this was.
Misty

Jasper, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Well at least she spared his life cause she didn't want him anymore. She could have killed him like some of these mothers have been doing alot latey in the years. Drowning in a car,drowning in a bathtub,hanging.
Me Too

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

Indy Mom wrote:
If the grandparents thought the parents were that bad, or if the little boys was in any danger, they should have tried to win custody. I think it's awful to have your parents set you up!
It does sound cold, but if the boy's parents really wanted the money or really wanted to be rid of the child, they would possibly have found another buyer if the grandparents had refused the deal, and who knows what may have ultimately happened to the child?
mark

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

Send those two crackheads to prison for 15 years

and then put the child up for adoption,

never let the parents have anythiing to do with the child again.

the childs only hope for a good life....

keep the parents far far away ..
gsn

Georgetown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2007

I'm not sure why anyone would think this child would be better off in the care of his grandparents. They are the ones who raised the dad with "many mental problems". Put the child up for adoption and get him far away from this messed up family!!!

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Yep!
Dredrick Tatum wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that a picture of 'Vlad the Impailer'?

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

NEVER give a receipt! No receipt, no returns!
Concerned Parent wrote:
I've tried to sell my kids, but they keep getting returned.

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Sorry, but that means that they will use that kid as leverage every time they need money. Not to mention that, relative or not, they were performing an illegal act. I have no respect for relatives who try to cover up a major crime.
papa geo wrote:
What really concerns me is the grandparents involvement. If their son and wife needed money why not help them, but don't setup a sting operation on their son. I hope that whomever reported this story can provide follow-up on this to see exactly what the grandparents role in this was.

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

ONLY the father has said anything about having mental problems, and that doesn't mean that the problems were the result of his upbringing. Besides, he said that the wife had mental problems too--how would THAT tie to the grandparents?

I'm suspecting that "mental problems" refer to meth addiction, and that daddy is trying to set up a defense that is sure to fail.
gsn wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would think this child would be better off in the care of his grandparents. They are the ones who raised the dad with "many mental problems". Put the child up for adoption and get him far away from this messed up family!!!

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Real mental illness is never that simple, and many are incurable. A mental illness is just as wortthy of respect as a physical one. That doens't give you a free ticket to do whatever you want--you are still responsible to do everything you can to control the illness.
mmmmmmmxanax wrote:
<quoted text> The problem I have with "mental illness" is that the shrink never says to the patient "you know this behavior is a direct result of your illness, therefore you need to accept that you need help and not expect others to give you your way because of your illness". Instead what they say is "you have a right to be ill and others should respect you for that". At least my therapist always said that. Then I fired her. I'm feel a lot better now.
Local Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Indy Mom wrote:
If the grandparents thought the parents were that bad, or if the little boys was in any danger, they should have tried to win custody. I think it's awful to have your parents set you up!
There are NO grandparent rights in Indiana.
The mother was under pressure to give child to grandparents. The grandparents would have spent 10 times that in legal fees with very little chance of gaining custody. She was not selling her child, she was turning him over to grandparents because she was not capable of parenting. The thosand dollars was a moot point. Call it a gift for giving the child up to grandparents willing to raise the child.
Are any of you really suggesting turning this child over to the state?

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Honey, she offered the kid in exchang3e fo4r a thousand bucks. That is SELLING a human being, and that is illegal. The $1000 is NOT in any WAY "moot".

A mother who wanted her child would have dealt with the "pressure"; obviously she did not.

No rights were violated in this case. As for turning this kid over to the state, chances are the grandparents will get it as long as they are financially and physically able to handle raising a kid. Are YOU suggesting that the kid go back to the parents if the grandparents can't raise it properly?
Local Boy wrote:
<quoted text>There are NO grandparent rights in Indiana.
The mother was under pressure to give child to grandparents. The grandparents would have spent 10 times that in legal fees with very little chance of gaining custody. She was not selling her child, she was turning him over to grandparents because she was not capable of parenting. The thosand dollars was a moot point. Call it a gift for giving the child up to grandparents willing to raise the child.
Are any of you really suggesting turning this child over to the state?
Local Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Cpetr13 wrote:
Honey, she offered the kid in exchang3e fo4r a thousand bucks. That is SELLING a human being, and that is illegal. The $1000 is NOT in any WAY "moot".
A mother who wanted her child would have dealt with the "pressure"; obviously she did not.
No rights were violated in this case. As for turning this kid over to the state, chances are the grandparents will get it as long as they are financially and physically able to handle raising a kid. Are YOU suggesting that the kid go back to the parents if the grandparents can't raise it properly?
<quoted text>
I am not suggesting me and you decide who is the proper gaurdian, especially me.
I know nothing more than what I have read here and in another paper.
I do suggest for a grandparent to offer cash in exchange for custody of his/her grandchild is none of our business. Nor do I believe it is illegal based on only the fact the grandparents made and the parent accepted cash.
So the parents get a little "go away" money.
Now the parents go to jail, and the next grandparent to try that fails and so does those children.
Local Boy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2007

Could it be that she knew she was unfit and did care for the child and made arrangements for the grandparents to take custody?
Do we know?
Get Serious

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

Local Boy wrote:
<quoted text>I am not suggesting me and you decide who is the proper gaurdian, especially me.
I know nothing more than what I have read here and in another paper.
I do suggest for a grandparent to offer cash in exchange for custody of his/her grandchild is none of our business. Nor do I believe it is illegal based on only the fact the grandparents made and the parent accepted cash.
So the parents get a little "go away" money.
Now the parents go to jail, and the next grandparent to try that fails and so does those children.
The buying and selling of human beings is illegal. Period.
How Did It Go

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

Local Boy wrote:
Could it be that she knew she was unfit and did care for the child and made arrangements for the grandparents to take custody?
Do we know?
If the parents said, "Mom, we're really in a hole. Can you give us a thousand bucks? We can't take care of our kid. Will you take him?" Good. No harm, no foul.

If they said, "We can't take care our our kid and we need a thousand bucks. If you give us the money, we'll give you the kid. If not, he goes to foster care and you'll probably never see him again." That's human trafficking and punishable by law.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia City Discussions

Search the Columbia City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
naked snapchat 12 hr harryharry1990 31
Gay marriage fight unlikely to disappear soon 14 hr Xavier Breath 360
Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 14 hr Two Cents 86
US, Pakistan looking more like enemies than allies (Jun '12) Tue Madrasa Fried Paki 26
Calvin Perry,s Murder (Mar '10) Mon gman 88
John Clements Railroader Jul 15 True 2
Review: Ortiz Tires And Auto Service Jul 11 Martin Thompson 5
•••
•••
•••
Columbia City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbia City Jobs

•••