Woman accused of trying to sell son

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A northern Indiana woman who authorities said tried to sell her 2-year-old son to his grandparents for $1,000 remained jailed Thursday on a child selling charge.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of145
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
noDuh

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

what the heck??? you don't sell a KID!!!
WWTP

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Where were the parents of the parents of the parents of the child?
Parent

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Shouldn't the parents be PAYING someone else to take their kid(s) from them? Those little brats cost a lot of money to raise.
Betty

Ft Mitchell, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

no way wrote:
Why were the grandparents trying to buy their grandchild? They should be facing charges as well.
The grandparents were probably hoping to protect the child. Now they can have custody for free while mom and dad spend time in jail.
What the Heck

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Why did these idiots have a child? God can be so cruel!
pitboss

Columbus, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

JoAnn wrote:
I pray that the grandparents take good care of the child and that he is NEVER returned to his parents.
yea, they did such a fine job with their son.
Tim

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

cooper wrote:
if the dad called his grandfather...saying he was willing to hand over his son.....then why isn't he charged also??
I agree! I mean, there's no point in conducting an investigation or anything, just charge him. Because somebody said so should be evidence enough.

By the way, cooper is a dumb a $$. There's no point in even investigating to validate it. It must be true because I said so.
Pot meet Kettle

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Cpetr13 wrote:
As distasteful as this might be, there was no harm done to the infant and it is presumed the grandparents weren't going to have it for dinner or anything. It was NOT CLOSE to being a capital offense.
<quoted text>
Is it as distasteful as using a picture of Vlad the Impaler? That guy impaled thousands of innocent men, women and children. And, do you know exactly how most impalings were carried out? Distasteful, indeed.

I understand that he's the inspiration for the modern Dracula stories and all, but the historical Vlad was a very sick/evil person. You need to use more critical thinking methods.
Jeff in AZ

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Should have used e-bay.
Kwazy

Auburn Hills, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Cpetr13 wrote:
As distasteful as this might be, there was no harm done to the infant and it is presumed the grandparents weren't going to have it for dinner or anything. It was NOT CLOSE to being a capital offense.
<quoted text>
Don't be too hard on her. Most people don't even read the stories before they reply...just the headlines. I'm guessing the grandparents were trying to get them to sign over baby the whole time due to concern over his well-being, and the parents were trying to bargain for some cash.
Sounds familiar

Shirley, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Wasn't a story just like this in the news a few years ago? A daughter couldn't take care of her child and the grandparents were given custody and they gave her money to help with her bills and it was called "selling". I'm all for hanging someone by their toes for actually selling a child, but is there any possibility the situation could have been construed wrong? I can see quite a few grandparents who would bail out their kids by raising the grandchildren and helping their kids get out of debt. For one thing, what sicko grandparent would BUY their grandchild? How about simply getting legal custody? Are we SURE the money given to the mother wasn't to help her with her financial problems?
Tim

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Lil Daddy wrote:
Um...okay, why was this woman selling her child? Also, it sounds like it was almost a sting operation orchestrated by the father's parents. Otherwise, why wouldn't the "purchasers" also face criminal charges? If child-selling is illegal, wouldn't child-buying be also?
As a father of a very willful 3-year-old, I know there have been times when I've been TEMPTED to sell her.(JK...haha, okay?) This is unreal. Why didn't the grandparents make a deal to legally adopt the child in exchange for some sort of support agreed upon by the parents? Seems like there are more practical options than attempting to actually BUY the child. Sheesh.
I'm guessing the grandparents were simply trying to get the kid out of home where both his parents admittedly have some issues.
While it's certainly possible that the grandparents approached the couple and asked to buy the child, it sounds more likely that the situation played out as inferred in the article (did you read it?). Presumably, the grandfather accepted the deal to purchase the kid knowing that if he didn't, they would have sold him to somebody else. He contacted police (as indicated in the story) to get them involved. Call it a sting operation if you'd like, but clearly the grandfather was working with the police when he bought the child, hence the reason he's not perceived as outright buying the child.

Of course, it could also be a ploy on the part of the grandfather to get custody of the child for free.

In any case, that's why investigations are conducted.

I do find it amusing though that she was bold enough to close the deal at the courthouse.
grumpy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Zed Leppelin wrote:
$1,000. That's just bad negotiating.$10,000 atleast.
Well, but look at the gene pool.
zionsville

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Smart grandparents... by turning in their son and wife, they get the kid for free!
grumpy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Kwazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be too hard on her. Most people don't even read the stories before they reply...just the headlines. I'm guessing the grandparents were trying to get them to sign over baby the whole time due to concern over his well-being, and the parents were trying to bargain for some cash.
I'm betting these charges end up dropped in exchange for mom agreeing to give up custody, which was probably the point of the whole exercise.

Death penalty seems a little extreme. Just slap her a around a little and ban her from the local tattoo parlors. She'll hate that.

Since: Jan 07

Greenfield

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

pitboss wrote:
<quoted text>
yea, they did such a fine job with their son.
You don't know what they did with there son. Do you have kids? You can raise your kids "the right" way and they can still decide to screw up! Their son is an ADULT now and so is Mommy they are responsible for THEIR OWN ACTIONS! Based on the information in this story you don't know *hit about these grandparnents!
thedead67

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Blue Light Special wrote:
You might not blame the mother if the child was a teenager-- heck, she might even have a buy-one-get-one-free sale.
But a two year old hasn't had time to become rebellious, sullen and rack up cell phone charges yet.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I am not the only one who feels that way about teenagers. How about buy one get two free!!!!!!!!!!

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

No, you need to learn the difference between "critical thinking": and "why can't everybody just do what I want?"

In his own country, Vlad is a hero. And the stories fo the "thousands of impalements" are pretty much spurious accounts written to dishonor his memory--not that he didnt' do so, but that there weren't nearly as many done as is presumed.

Now if you want REAL cruelty, read up on what the christians did to suspected witches. THERE'S good old fashioned sadism. Try torturing children. Try slowly pulling the intestines out in order to get a confession.
Pot meet Kettle wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it as distasteful as using a picture of Vlad the Impaler? That guy impaled thousands of innocent men, women and children. And, do you know exactly how most impalings were carried out? Distasteful, indeed.
I understand that he's the inspiration for the modern Dracula stories and all, but the historical Vlad was a very sick/evil person. You need to use more critical thinking methods.
lame excuse

Brownsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

mental problems, my butt.
more like addictions so strong you's sell your kid who'd likely be better off anyway.
Sensitive

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2007

Jacob Cagle said he and his wife have mental illness. Enough said. They are not healthy. In their right state of mind they wouldn't do this, but they are not in their right state of mind which is why the grandparents are trying to get custody. Mental illness is a serious problem, but it can be treated if the individuals want treatment. If they don't want treatment there is nothing anyone can do about it. As long as an individual knows their name and the date and a few other basic things like that, they legally can make their own decisions and do what they want. It is very sad that this child had both parents who suffer from this disease - having one parent with this is bad enough, but both is horrible. But, as long as the grandparents get custody, the kid will still have a chance in life. Just don't be too quick to judge them because it is not their fault they are messed up - that is why it is called an illness. Until you have walked in their shoes, you will never know the hell they live each day. I am not mentally ill, but I have family very close to me that suffer with it. As long as they agree to treatment, they can over come it. But, if they continue to refuse help, there's nothing anyone can do, and they will never make the right decisions - even the simple ones.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of145
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbia City Discussions

Search the Columbia City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Karpet America 1 hr Cheryl 1
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) 16 hr squeezers 1,285
No dominos pizza Fri Vdubber 2
Fort Wayne REPO homes with EZ Financing Apr 15 Indiana REPO Homes 1
Review: Buy Right Auto Sales Inc (Apr '11) Apr 10 Michelle 7
Snspchat Me Apr 5 nat-attack124 2
1988 April Tinsley Murder To Be America's Most ... (Apr '09) Apr 5 DETROIT 9,243
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbia City Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbia City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance