“Liberal Patriot”

Since: Sep 08

Rio Linda, CA

#3 Jun 25, 2012
Thanx, starting to get intereting again
patriot

United States

#4 Jul 27, 2012
What is happening with Raton City Manager? Still have his job? Heard he is in big trouble with State Attorney General. Things posted regarding Raton are not coming up on Colorado City or Raton sight.
Ratonian

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Jul 27, 2012
patriot wrote:
What is happening with Raton City Manager? Still have his job? Heard he is in big trouble with State Attorney General. Things posted regarding Raton are not coming up on Colorado City or Raton sight.
They're trying hard to keep a tight lid on things, but it's not working. Too many problems are getting past their "censors" and are becoming public knowledge. This is infuriating them; causing them to make stupid mistakes; which makes things worse; all of which is probably just Karma, catching up with those idjits.

Here's our local newspaper:

http://ratonrange.com/

Which one did you guys/gals use most often, when Pete was the City Mangler, over your way? Any old reports about him, still online?
Ratonian

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Jul 28, 2012
New Mexican wrote:
http://norteno1.blogspot.com/
On that ... yes, it's one popular place where people from Raton go, "virtually speaking," to discuss Raton's politics. Another place where Raton's citizens do the same thing is on Topix:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/raton-nm

And of course there's the local radio and TV stations (we wish, anyway, on the latter! Would be great!) and the one aforementioned local newspaper (the Raton Range) and there's also a smaller, "just outside the area" (20-some miles away, over the border in Colorado) newspaper called The Chronicle News. These sources all have positives and negatives; good points and "other".

My personal two cents would break down something like this:

Sometimes, the stuff posted over on Topix gets pretty bizarre (lots of open, admitted, "proud of it" drug users interacting, regularly, for one thing: can't say that helps overall ) but there are some pretty good "breaking news" sorts of things, over there, too; including some that get radically under-reported by the 'straight press' in our area.(You folks in C-City seem to know that story.)

By the same token, some of the stuff posted by the owner, over at the Raton political blog linked to, above, used to be right on the money. Not always, but sometime of late, if sounds almost like she's saying things that are "way off in left field," in what some might think are efforts to get people to post. Sort of like a radio "shock jock" saying something either clueless or inflamatory, so that listeners will call in.(But, as I said before: I used to really like that site, once upon a time; and think they had a lot to offer. Some people might still think it does. It's a personal thing.) For the most part, I've gone to Topix, first, of late ... and if time allowed, went to the site linked to, above, afterwards. If you're good at filtering out obvious nonsense, for yourself, I find that more useful.

The Chronicle News has a few hard-hitting stories, here or there -- but the "footprint" of that paper, in Raton, is so small that most people here (who don't subscribe) find it hard to even find a copy of -- so, no matter how good their reporting may be, it makes little splash in this particular pond.(Wish it had more of a footprint, locally -- but "if wishes were fishes, the ocean would be full".)

The Raton Range is reporting more of what's going on, lately, but some folks, myself included, wish they'd report more about what our Sh*tty Commission and City Mangler were up to. One of the problems with that is: they keep virtually everything so quiet, that they're (the commission / manager) have more than their share of problems with people like NM's Attorney General's office. So, to a certain extent, there's not much but rumors to report ... however, to be fair to all, sometimes when the Range has verifiable source material, from state agencies or whatever, it still gets not a single mention in the press.

I hate to say it (since the people working for that place are so likeable), but KRTN FM 93.9 has always had access to tons of news tips, and insider comments, and the like ... but what they choose to report, if I was looking for a way to sum it up quickly, is chiefly the kind of thing that "enables" bad behavior to keep on keeping on. They report pie-in-the-sky plans of leadership, as if it had some chance of happening; but ignore the same sort of "here's a very verifiable letter from the AG's office, to the City Manager, expressing serious concern about what's going on in this place". I suspect they're under pressure, too.

One can only guess that pressures from advertisers or others in the Status Quo segment of the population are pressuring them to "keep a lid on" the things that would make outsiders think Raton's a mess ... which leaves people from Raton mainly depending on the internet, if they want to see ALL of the potential news.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colorado City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News World's largest wind farm opens in West Texas (Oct '09) Fri Timray 23
Is mitchell county in a oil boom or not (Aug '14) Mar '15 observer 2
Water Reclamation Plant in Westbrook Jan '15 Thanks for the ch... 1
What can you tell me about Shawn Adkins? (Jan '11) Dec '14 Donna 8,609
News Hailey Dunn's mom not questioned since Texas ch... (May '13) Dec '14 saltliving 12
News Prison guards investigated (Dec '06) Nov '14 joseph 9
News New City Manager Garcia faced indictment in 200... (Jul '14) Sep '14 Jesus 6
More from around the web

Colorado City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]