It's time Colorado City

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 29, 2010
Dear Colorado City ... what a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into. We have a city council that doesn't listen to anyone in their districts and runs their own agenda thru their power on the council. We have a mayor who has blatantly ignored the law and has done what she wants since she was elected. A city manager intent on destroying the city and for what? To build a resume so he can find an even hiring paying job somewhere else and move on, leaving us the Colorado City residents who have lived here to pick up the pieces. He has shown his true colors time and time again. Threatening to quit at a council meeting , radio interviews where the most prominent words are "I...I....I". I guess they truly do teach you how to lie in the FBI.
It's time to act CCity , time to take our town back. This is a call to action ... elections are coming up, if you live in a district thatís has a seat coming open ...RUN FOR IT! We need to put people on this council that will actually care about the town and not whets in their own best interest. It's going to take time to fix our town, but this is the first step.
Start your campaign

Newcastle, OK

#2 Aug 29, 2010
Who are you and what do you stand for. I can't vote for Pirate 2416. If you believe in what you're preaching, give me a name and how you would do things better.
amyk

Albany, TX

#3 Aug 29, 2010
what's your name "start your campaign"?? practice what your preaching at least!

Location hidden

#4 Aug 30, 2010
I stand for descisions that effect the city to not be made behind closed doors. Executive session is just a way of saying "we dont want to hear what your going to say , or what you want. We want to do what we want so we will do it behind closed doors so no one else has a say." I am for leading by example and rewarding loyalty and longevity , and not bringing in others who have no interest in what happens to this town at higher pay rates than those who have served this community for years. I am for telling the truth no matter how bad it is , don't go on the radio and say your not going to ask people to cut pay and turn around and tell someone they're going to have to take a pay cut. Please at least tell the truth.
Start your campaign

Newcastle, OK

#5 Aug 30, 2010
My name is Richard Porter. Then again, I'm not running so does it matter. I'm being serious. Give me a name, run for office and let me make an intelligent decision. I agree with all the points Pirate makes, I just want solid plans on how to make things better with actual actions and not just vague ideas. Personally I agree with most of the decisions the current city manager and council have made. They aren't fun, but most have been necessary and I think we will see the payoff in the long run. I do think he needs a publicist and should stay off the radio and out of the paper. If you think you can do better make it happen.
whats next

United States

#6 Aug 30, 2010
really? since when is managing a city any fun at all? i think the only payoff we'll see is a decreasing population due to a lack of quality employment opportunities. the city manager seemed to get quite irritated when he was asked if he considered taking a pay cut on the radio program. but he can turn around and cut someone else's pay? that doesnt seem fair. he should be willing to sacrifice a little if he really cares and wants to be a viable part of this community. after all, he is asking everyone else to sacrifice certain "luxuries" for the good of the city's finances. how is it that the city can't afford to keep cops and firemen on payroll, but he needs a full-time "assistant"? that job opening was never posted on the city's website, but why? is he afraid that it will cause back-lash for him when everyone realizes that he's looking to hire an assistant? that is not the way to gain people's trust and respect. but i guess we should hire him a "publicist" too? FOR WHAT? so that he can keep all his lies straight and ultimately blame someone else if he's cast in a bad light?
Start your campaign

Newcastle, OK

#7 Aug 31, 2010
Being sarcastic if you can't tell. I'm just saying the guy isn't a people person and often seems to speak out of turn. Also, not fun translates as difficult/no win if you need it literal.

Location hidden

#8 Aug 31, 2010
Richard , I would love to run , unfortunately my job does not allow it. I've come to see over the past few months that a lot of people feel the same as far as the direction this town is heading. What bothers me is that every time city council meets that civic center should be packed , and its not near that. When elections happen 7 out of 10 times the incumbent wins because no one else is willing to run. You are right he is not a people person , he is a bully. Pushing thru a 10% raise ,then crying poverty as he cuts public safety , and all the while having a job posting for another position on TML. Leads you to wonder if those positions were cut for the reason he says or so he could hire an assistant ? It's just not good buisiness.
My Op

Newcastle, OK

#9 Aug 31, 2010
The reason the civic center isn't packed is because, things aren't going that badly. Tough decisions are being made, government continues to function, life goes on. We're not declaring war here. I see a lot of improvements going on around town, some people have got their toes stepped on and others have unfortunately lost jobs but that is part of the deal. Whether you like it or not, good things are happening also. Maybe we just need people to get involved like Pirate is suggesting. They don't need to run anyone out of town on a rail. They just need to claim a stake and make their voice heard so small changes can be made over time.

Location hidden

#10 Aug 31, 2010
The reason the civic center isn't packed is there are so many back room politics going on that half the town doesn't know what's happening. Things are happening that border on illegal .... the reason Sherman burned Atlanta is because he knew he wasn't goin to have to live there.
amyk

United States

#11 Aug 31, 2010
So when is the next City Council meeting?
amyk

United States

#12 Aug 31, 2010
and when did the City approve hiring an financial assistant for PK? Isn't that supposed to be brought up in a meeting?
big picture

United States

#13 Aug 31, 2010
I don't think that anyone has a problem with "tough decisions" having to be made. That happens in every aspect of life. It's not being handled in the right ways, though. Cutting positions should (in my opinion) be the very last option after all others have been exhausted. These employees have done nothing wrong, aside from work for the city. What pisses me off is that the city manager does it in the most hateful ways. He has no compassion for his employees or their family or this community. He has no respect for those that have held their positions for years. He is a hateful man. I have overheard how he talks to his employees, and i was appalled. It disgusts me to think that he will stop at nothing to remove employees that he doesn't like personally for various reasons. Why does he have to lie constanly and try to keep certain agendas from the public? Something just doesn't add up. People don't show up at the city council meetings because they have given up on being heard. Why waste your time to go and sit and plead with them about issues you need addressed, when you know that they really don't care about your opinion or your problems? They turn around and do exactly what you asked them not to, or they go into executive session to make decisions without public approval. Don't bother to give you any reasons as to why they're not listning to you either! People get tired of it, and therefore slowly but surely everyone stops coming to take part. Just stop lying to everyone already.

Location hidden

#14 Sep 1, 2010
It seems to me that his priorities are way out of whack. With the things I've seen and heard , it would definitely appear that the 2 fire fepartment positions were eliminated to clear salary for a finance assistant. But , this is also city council's fault they are turning a nlind eye and deaf ear to the whole situation. They are ultimately responsible , he reports to them (well at least he is supposed to) and what have they done ?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#15 Sep 15, 2010
I think if you will check around, you will see that most cities the size of Colorado City don't have 3 full time firemen. We didn't have 3 full time firemen when we had 1000 more people in town. Nor did we have as large a police department as we do now.

Location hidden

#16 Sep 15, 2010
Yes we did , its only 1 firefighter per day to cover the station.
Entre Jacksonian

United States

#17 Jan 17, 2011
amyk wrote:
So when is the next City Council meeting?
The way how all is going does it matter? I am sensing good Karma
salgal

United States

#18 Jan 19, 2011
Pirate2416 wrote:
Dear Colorado City ... what a fine mess we've gotten ourselves into. We have a city council that doesn't listen to anyone in their districts and runs their own agenda thru their power on the council. We have a mayor who has blatantly ignored the law and has done what she wants since she was elected. A city manager intent on destroying the city and for what? To build a resume so he can find an even hiring paying job somewhere else and move on, leaving us the Colorado City residents who have lived here to pick up the pieces. He has shown his true colors time and time again. Threatening to quit at a council meeting , radio interviews where the most prominent words are "I...I....I". I guess they truly do teach you how to lie in the FBI.
It's time to act CCity , time to take our town back. This is a call to action ... elections are coming up, if you live in a district thatís has a seat coming open ...RUN FOR IT! We need to put people on this council that will actually care about the town and not whets in their own best interest. It's going to take time to fix our town, but this is the first step.
Please state laws Mayor has broken.
salgal

United States

#19 Jan 19, 2011
Pirate2416 wrote:
The reason the civic center isn't packed is there are so many back room politics going on that half the town doesn't know what's happening. Things are happening that border on illegal .... the reason Sherman burned Atlanta is because he knew he wasn't goin to have to live there.
I agree it doesn't seem
to matter what the voters want,so why go to meetings..City Council
is going to let the "hired help" run them...I am pleased to note
Mayor asking questions..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colorado City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Council extended Pete Kampfer's contract?? (Oct '10) Feb '18 bclifton1975 66
gay (Jan '11) Dec '17 Yeah right 3
Sue Noel Missing! (Dec '15) Oct '17 Friend of family 3
Billie Jean Dunn (Apr '11) Aug '17 anon0285 34
What can you tell me about Shawn Adkins? (Jan '11) Aug '17 anon0285 8,610
car accident in sweetwater (Apr '07) Jul '17 Moya 6
Checking the Mitchell County water situation. (May '17) Jun '17 salgal 2

Colorado City Jobs

Personal Finance

Colorado City Mortgages