Contrite C City

Abilene, TX

#1 Mar 11, 2009
I have lived in Colorado City for over 30 years and I have watched businesses come and go over the years. It seems that they have trouble recieving community support. I noticed the Chinese Restaurant closed down and it doesn't surprise me at all. Folks, we have to back up our businesses thay are a huge part of the community. Don't forget we now have a movie theater downtown. Check the local listings before driving out of town and giving someone else your business. Let's help our community grow!
slrt1994

United States

#2 Mar 12, 2009
This is true. The town will never grow. One business closes another one opens but we can never have more than just a few at a time. Which is why I will be leaving this town as soon as I graduate. There is really nothing to do here!
pete

Saint Charles, MO

#3 Mar 12, 2009
It is really sad to see the way the town is dying.
Linda

Tuscola, TX

#4 Mar 14, 2009
I have lived here 54 years, and yes businesses have come and gone! I, too, hated it about the Chinese eating place, we are in business also, but not an eating establishment. We eat out at the evening meal...when we would go for chinese food, and we are not big chinese food people, but we wanted to support it...many items on the buffet had been there a while. One thing I loved was the fried shrimp. It was luke warm and not so crunchy....fried rice was ok, they did have a big selection even on the salad bar. When you eat the buffet, drink and tip...you have spent right at $20.....is it worth it to get luke warm food??
Any eating place that serves good, fresh, hot food will be supported. Have you noticed the Mexican food places do well???
Yes, the town is not thriving so well..how do you propose we change the economy here in this depressed West Texas area??? Right now, the city is building a new police department, Dollar General is building a new building on Hickory right across from Alco. The Cold Spot is building
a new restaurant at 5th and HIckory...so dont count us out dead as yet!!! Many businesses began
many years ago or at a time the economy was really thriving, they are the ones who can withstand hard times...when business was good, there was the extra to pay off your business, add something to it...but now we just survive! I certainly dont blame young people for leaving..I would hope most young people have the motivation to want to get a better job, education or whatever. Unfortunately, some who stay are the gimmes...it serves a purpose for them to work at a minimal job...no goals, no motivaton, and if they dont have the money to buy what they want, they steal it!!! I have had my plants stolen right in front of my house, my pumpkins for decorating, I just dont put out anything in my yard any more! Too much temptation for someone!
There are good, hard working, kind, wonderful people here....your house burns down, no insurance, someone starts a fund for you...how many times do you find that in a big town???
To look at a town that looks like it is dying or not supporting businesses, you havent looked at the guts of the town and that is its PEOPLE!!!
anonymous

United States

#5 Mar 15, 2009
This City is great place to raise children. It has a lot of community support when there are tragedies, true, but I agree with contrite I don't think the community supports new businesses as well as we should. Maybe not purposely but tend to forget. Hey FYI everyone there is a new Hamburger joint that just opened on Hickory! The food is great and the prices are resonable.
Linda

Tuscola, TX

#6 Mar 16, 2009
I ate there at the old Lazy Day building, now the Hamburger SHoppe, posted my findings on Facebook.
Many people saw it....one class is having a reunion in June...so they may be full to the brim.....the news is out!
Linda

Tuscola, TX

#7 Mar 16, 2009
Another comment about supporting new businesses,
there are 3 new stores downtown...I was wearing a piece of jewelry from one place, someone asked
me where I got it..when I told them...they didnt
even know what I was talking about...didnt know
about this cute store downtown....I feel people who work go home at 5 and on the weekend, go out
of town to walmart, a mall somewhere to do their
shopping!
business owner

Abilene, TX

#8 Mar 17, 2009
The goal to building this city is to have the City buy local and stay local with their funds....I am hopeful that some changes are made on the council in May and that the incoming members will support the businesses within Colorado City so this great town can become even greater!
Sheena

Big Spring, TX

#9 Mar 18, 2009
Linda wrote:
I have lived here 54 years, and yes businesses have come and gone! I, too, hated it about the Chinese eating place, we are in business also, but not an eating establishment. We eat out at the evening meal...when we would go for chinese food, and we are not big chinese food people, but we wanted to support it...many items on the buffet had been there a while. One thing I loved was the fried shrimp. It was luke warm and not so crunchy....fried rice was ok, they did have a big selection even on the salad bar. When you eat the buffet, drink and tip...you have spent right at $20.....is it worth it to get luke warm food??
Any eating place that serves good, fresh, hot food will be supported. Have you noticed the Mexican food places do well???
Yes, the town is not thriving so well..how do you propose we change the economy here in this depressed West Texas area??? Right now, the city is building a new police department, Dollar General is building a new building on Hickory right across from Alco. The Cold Spot is building
a new restaurant at 5th and HIckory...so dont count us out dead as yet!!! Many businesses began
many years ago or at a time the economy was really thriving, they are the ones who can withstand hard times...when business was good, there was the extra to pay off your business, add something to it...but now we just survive! I certainly dont blame young people for leaving..I would hope most young people have the motivation to want to get a better job, education or whatever. Unfortunately, some who stay are the gimmes...it serves a purpose for them to work at a minimal job...no goals, no motivaton, and if they dont have the money to buy what they want, they steal it!!! I have had my plants stolen right in front of my house, my pumpkins for decorating, I just dont put out anything in my yard any more! Too much temptation for someone!
There are good, hard working, kind, wonderful people here....your house burns down, no insurance, someone starts a fund for you...how many times do you find that in a big town???
To look at a town that looks like it is dying or not supporting businesses, you havent looked at the guts of the town and that is its PEOPLE!!!
You are so right.. you don't realize how much everyone cares until something tragic happens.. and its like everyone comes out of the woodworks!! Not sure if your talking about my house.. but yes, I did lose my house in a fire.. and a fund was set up for me at the Credit Union!!! AMAZING people!! AND you will not find that in Dallas!!:)
Linda

Tuscola, TX

#10 Mar 19, 2009
Business Owner! You dont think the current city council does not support local businesses???
You do understand you buy local when it is available...not sure where you are coming from
on this. Changs are good ONLY if it is benefit to the city, right now I see no benefit to be made by addition of a new council member, especially when they have a vendetta!!!! It's not the city's interest they have at heart!
elpaso

United States

#11 Apr 18, 2009
Headed to C-City today. Will go to Neffs and pick up some plants, eat and drive through town, maybe fill up with gas. My stimilus for C-City.
Concerned C-City Resident

Abilene, TX

#12 May 22, 2009
I am worried about the City and it's future now that they have a new Mayor. And some new people on the City Council. it's going to get interesting for sure. Change is not always good, especially when the people behind it are just holding personal grudges. The new Mayor is not qualified at all. She has worked hard around town with KCCB, but that doesn't make her qualified to make decisions for the entire City. She is upset that she didn't get a recycling center put on the lot she purchased. No one told her to go out and purchase a lot. As I understand it, the City was already looking into sites that were already zoned for that, and she took it upon herself to buy that lot. Sour grapes in my opinion, but now the folks in this town have to live with it.
raised in c-city

Santa Rosa, NM

#13 May 23, 2009
I was raised in c-city some of my family still lives there I come to visit a couple of times a year still the same small town crap gossip!!! that is all anyone does there and no one has a clue what they are talking about...
Get the facts

Tuscola, TX

#14 May 28, 2009
Raised in C City......I DO know what IM talking about and its not gossip....I have lived here 54 years....I had an interest in the election...it hit home!!!! Before you decide who gossips and who doesnt know what they are talking about...I suggest you get the facts before you make a statement....and yes, concerned C city resident...we are in for a rude awakening...too many personal agendas....that is one reason some of these people got elected...people with an "ax to grind" wanted change....so they got it!! The
sad thing is the rest of us have to live with it!!!
Concerned C-City Resident

Abilene, TX

#15 Jun 5, 2009
The new members of the City Council and Gayor Dakan need to get their priorities straight!! They are too busy trying to slander and spread rumors about the past mayor and city council, when they should be focusing on the future of this city. Get over it already-do your jobs and show us this great "change" you promised!! Stop the lying and scheming. Oh wait-they probably don't know what to do now that they got elected! Maybe they could start with reading the City Charter and getting the facts straight. Maybe they could attend that infamous "ethics training" Hiser bragged about in his little speech at the political forum.
raised in c-city

Santa Rosa, NM

#16 Jun 9, 2009
too!! funny get the facts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colorado City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prison guards investigated (Dec '06) Nov '16 FuckMalinka 11
What can you tell me about Shawn Adkins? (Jan '11) Sep '16 420ville 8,610
Keith Hiser, city councilman (Apr '12) Sep '16 Kim 26
Read Sep '16 Orlando gallegos 1
gay (Jan '11) May '16 Jgonzales 2
MCSO jailer (Mar '16) Mar '16 Concerned 1
Sue Noel Missing! (Dec '15) Feb '16 Phyllis 2

Colorado City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance