Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Voters should be given a choice when it comes to asking for $29 million of OUR tax paying dollars! If we could vote for just the new school -$17million- It might just pass. But spending $12 million more on buses, paying off old debt, building parking lots, a new big gym, re-doing the football field concession stand and new press boxes at wolf stadium can wait! Vote NO on the $29 million bond! WE CAN vote on it again in another election using a more conservative, common sense approach!
NO2BOND

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

Judged:

FACT:

TAXPAYER TOTAL DEBT:

City of Colorado City -$10,000,000
...Mitchell County Hospital -$9,000,000
Mitchell County Jail -$9,000,000

If The CISD $29,000,000 Bond Passes ....

Total Debt =$57,000,000

YOUR total debt DOUBLES!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE NO!!!!!!

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

Just say no. Taxpayers cannot afford this. If you are a renter, your rent will go up too. Let's keep the old beautiful buildings and let it be. If you are truly conservative--let's conserve.....
cyclos1032

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2012

Judged:

Colorado City does not need this. The people that want this isn't from C-City and they don't have kids in school here. Traffic at each school is bad enough as it is, just thinkl how it will be with all 5 schools combined! And yes, taxes will go up, up and away!!!
C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Judged:

It is the perfect time for a bond election as 1. Interest rates are at an all time low, 2. Construction work is slow right now so contractors are bidding low just trying to survive. 3. There is an oil boom on the radar screen that if it hits will grow the tax base and allow the taxing entities the ability to lower the tax rate while floating the bond at the same time. The continued upkeep of the old buildings and their energy wasting systems is funding that should not be wasted and would be put toward the repayment of the bond and you will have some very long term assets for the school district.
scraggly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2012

Judged:

Sounds like we can wait for oil boom, and add
To the tax base then when taxes go down
(that will be the day) we will revisit
I bet school is near 800000 in debt now,so
Superintendent is using 2 bond proposals,trying
To get debt paid,bad management, where did
Debt come from? Foot ball field &what else
NO2BOND

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

C U Next Tuesday wrote:
It is the perfect time for a bond election as 1. Interest rates are at an all time low, 2. Construction work is slow right now so contractors are bidding low just trying to survive. 3. There is an oil boom on the radar screen that if it hits will grow the tax base and allow the taxing entities the ability to lower the tax rate while floating the bond at the same time. The continued upkeep of the old buildings and their energy wasting systems is funding that should not be wasted and would be put toward the repayment of the bond and you will have some very long term assets for the school district.
1. Yes, interest rates are at a low right now, but do you realize even at the LOWEST interest rate that the school could hope for, the interest alone would be over $600,000 PER YEAR!?!?!?
2. Everyone in this economy is just trying to survive, not just contractors. By passing this high of a bond, it is just making it harder on us, as tax payers to survive. The burden of this bond is not going to fall on the 65+ group or the majority of the people from the age of 25-50 who do not own homes to pay taxes, SO that leaves a very small group of young families that own homes to take on that big number.
3. Yes, there is an oil boom on the radar... have you ever heard that saying "counting your chickens before they hatch?" You cannot expect us, as taxpayers to rely on a "what if" tax base of the "what if, always changing OILFIELD." We all are crossing our fingers in hopes of this oil boom, but Iím not willing to vote for a $30million new school before I see that tax base from the oil field secure. That is just plain common sense.
Do we need a few new schools? Yes.
Do we need to update? Yes.
Do we want what is best for our children? Absolutely.
But leaving the next generation with this kind of debt is doing them NO favors.
All we are asking for is another, more reasonable, more conservative option on the next election in May. I firmly believe that your Bond would have no problems passing.
I Heard It

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

I heard that the teachers are going to get tanning beds and margarita machines in their classrooms. How are we going to pay for the lawsuits from the cancer and chemical dependency that will cause?
C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Judged:

NO2BOND Do you not understand it is not only homeoners that pay taxes it is all property owners, including the 65+. Now is the time and I hope there are very few CAVE people like you that show up at the voting booth.(Citizens Against Virtually Everything)How long do you think it takes to pay off a bond? Its not Generations it is decades, just like paying off a house. Will it put undue burden on any tax payer, a few fractions of a cent per $100 dollars of valuation sure should not. If it does they were not going to make it anyway.
scraggly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Vote no every taxing entity has gone up only a few pennies on every 100, the city near 1 on every 1000, the garbage,water,sewer, went up, yes you're correct if this keeps up there will be some that won't make it because SS only goes so far,
Medicines go up in price. Some senior citizens will lose their homes,people like you will buy them for back taxes. I am of opinion the school system is already over half MILLION in debt, VOTE NO
CC Grows

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

WE should have been offered choices. I know we need new buildings but not the fluff they built into this one. The football field has had enough money poured into it. Use that money to pay more to our good educators.

Oh and Reggie should have been a class act and not threatened the folks expressing their opinions.
C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Scraggly that debt will continue to grow and you will have nothing to show for it except worn out, energy wasting facilities if enough CAVE people turn out to vote. CC Grows you can not use bonds to pay staff, bonds can only be used for infrastructure. Also, when you take on large construction projects you take a hard look at what future needs you can lump in with them as this brings down the cost per item. For you CAVE people its like shoping at Sam's Club.
scraggly

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Go CAVE PEOPLEVTE NO!!!
NO2BOND

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

In light of the recent legal threats made by superintendent Regie Spencer concerning the various opposing actions and advertisements, we feel the need to correct his assumptions. First of all, any advertisement in opposition has been done ...so on an individual basis and with individual funds. There have been no orchestrated meetings nor fundraisers to support a group. However, since Spencer wants to go down the ethical road, let's take a look at how legal and ethical his and the Wolf PAC's actions have been. http://gcisdbond2011.com/BPC/presentations/Bo... .
Please look at the link and decide if he has remained only factual in the information he has presented to the public or has he shown a bias in his various comments? Is it ethical to call school assemblies while our children should be learning in order to promote his agenda? Is it ethical for the PAC to register people to vote at pigskin preview and hand out their signs, or at Open House, or on any school property during any school function? Mr. Spencer, remember when you start pointing fingers, there are always 3 more pointing right back at you and always make sure you've dotted your own I's and crossed your own T's. If you support say NO to the bond and if you are appalled by Spencer's scare tactics, please share this status and please let your voice be heard. This is our town too!See More
http://gcisdbond2011.com/BPC/presentations/Bo...
gcisdbond2011.com
CC Grows

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

C U Next Tuesday wrote:
Scraggly that debt will continue to grow and you will have nothing to show for it except worn out, energy wasting facilities if enough CAVE people turn out to vote. CC Grows you can not use bonds to pay staff, bonds can only be used for infrastructure. Also, when you take on large construction projects you take a hard look at what future needs you can lump in with them as this brings down the cost per item. For you CAVE people its like shoping at Sam's Club.
No you can't use bond money for salaries, but you could have used the money we used to spruce up the football field or building a new hog barn with hot and cold water to wash the hogs or a used extreme hog trailer. These are not things that are academic, they are extra circular. Maybe some of that should be trimmed back.

And speaking of infrastructure:

who is going to pay for all the water and sewer upgrades that will have to be done so a new school can be used? That will take lots more tax money either school district wide or city wide. You are not talking about a small amount that it will take to do these infrastructure changes either. It will be millions of dollars hitting our pocketbook again.
NO2BOND

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

C U Next Tuesday wrote:
If you cannot use the Bond to pay staff more, what exactly is CISD going to do to get more teachers to come here? Or pay the ones that are already here what they DESERVE???? Itís like putting lipstick on a pig! "Come to this nice new school we just built, but you won't get paid very much!" Really???

Spencer himself said that we do not have the approximately $15 million it would take to bring our current buildings up to where they need to be... So where exactly does he suppose the $30Million is going to come from? And why exactly were we not given the $15million option of re-doing what is already here?

As I said before, bring us more options. NEEDS of the schools. Not WANTS. Cut out all the not necessary stuff and I would be the first at the election poles to vote YES as would MANY OTHERS!
I am NOT a "cave" person, but I am however conservative & like options of where my money is going.
C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

"who is going to pay for all the water and sewer upgrades that will have to be done so a new school can be used? That will take lots more tax money either school district wide or city wide. You are not talking about a small amount that it will take to do these infrastructure changes either. It will be millions of dollars hitting our pocketbook again."

You really do not understand a constuction bond do you? That is all part of it.
C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

NO2BOND wrote:
<quoted text>
Spencer himself said that we do not have the approximately $15 million it would take to bring our current buildings up to where they need to be... So where exactly does he suppose the $30Million is going to come from? And why exactly were we not given the $15million option of re-doing what is already here?
You do not understand what a bond is do you? I will dumb it down for you. Bonds are sold and that is where the money comes from, then the bonds are bought back over a set number of years with a set interest fixed to to them. That is far from the text book answer but I do not think you could grasp that.
NO2BOND

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

C U Next Tuesday wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not understand what a bond is do you? I will dumb it down for you. Bonds are sold and that is where the money comes from, then the bonds are bought back over a set number of years with a set interest fixed to to them. That is far from the text book answer but I do not think you could grasp that.
"Dumb it down for me?" Classy. You must be around the age of 17 or so?

Bottom line remains the same kiddo, Taxpayers will be paying for this bond.

C U Next Tuesday

Sweetwater, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

NO2BOND wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bottom line remains the same kiddo, Taxpayers will be paying for this bond.
Yes, just like they payed for the current schools. They were built with bonds too. When I was 17 I had more sense about how the world works then you do now. I have put a lot more years and miles behind me since those carefree days of youth. I have lived on 3 continents and in 6 different of these United States, retired,(did not like it) was rehired, and I am not slowing down any time soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of38
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Colorado City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Colorado City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••